Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SavLexiMom
Stats: 5'7'' 282/210.4/150
WOE: Restarted JUDDD 11/27/12 at 217.8
What to tell Family/Friends?

I have my first Medi appt tomorrow (woo hoo!!) and haven't told anyone, other than my hubby, that I am even thinking about going! I don't want to hear it about how expensive, etc. it is, so I just haven't even said anything. So...what to tell them when I start eating drastically different and dropping massive weight? (I'm being optimistic here! ) Any less expensive plan that I can say I'm doing that you eat kind of the same things? Or just leave it at a "Low Carb Diet"? My family is nosy and they are going to know what I'm doing, but I'm not ready to share just yet!
SavLexiMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jana123
Stats: 5'4" 157/136.2/132
WOE: Medi-SouthPark
Start Date: January 29, 2010
I just started last week and felt the same way. I'm basically just telling people that I'm eating low carb and lots more protein.

Which clinic are you going to? I go to Southpark.
jana123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristenb
Stats: Ht: 5'2" 187.7/154.8/135
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 01/06/2010
I told my family and friends that I really wanted to lose weight so I went to see a nutritionist and they have me on a special diet and supplements. I told them I go back once a week so they can check on me and make sure everything is going ok and I'm not having any reactions to the medication. I had one person ask if it was covered by my insurance and I said yes. It's not, but I didn't want to get into a price discussion. No one has said anything negative about it. Worked for me.
kristenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana123 View Post
I just started last week and felt the same way. I'm basically just telling people that I'm eating low carb and lots more protein.

Which clinic are you going to? I go to Southpark.
I'm going to Ballantyne. How's it going for you?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenb View Post
I told my family and friends that I really wanted to lose weight so I went to see a nutritionist and they have me on a special diet and supplements. I told them I go back once a week so they can check on me and make sure everything is going ok and I'm not having any reactions to the medication. I had one person ask if it was covered by my insurance and I said yes. It's not, but I didn't want to get into a price discussion. No one has said anything negative about it. Worked for me.

Sounds good! I hadn't even thought of the insurance question...I know that would come up! I will probably eventually tell them, but I really don't want a debate right now when I'm so excited about starting.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EricL
Stats: 254/235.5/180
WOE: Medi Weightloss [2 Weeks Completed]
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavLexiMom View Post
Sounds good! I hadn't even thought of the insurance question...I know that would come up! I will probably eventually tell them, but I really don't want a debate right now when I'm so excited about starting.
Remain excited! I'm a week and a half into the program and feeling better than ever before.

Most of the reservations come from the fact that you're going to get weekly injections. For some reason, I think many people think there's something wrong with that - but in truth, you get to meet with a legitimate doctor, understand more about your health than simply your weight - and, you'll learn to practice discipline in eating, portion control and how to make good choices with exercise, hydration, etc.

I'm very much in the same boat as you. My wife obviously knows about the program, but I'm not telling anyone else only because I assume they'll pass judgment and try to deter me for some reason.

I've done low carb diets before and been successful, only to put the weight back on. All of those times though, I simply eliminated carbs, got some ketosis testing strips, and loaded up my belly until I was full.

Now I'm focused more on calories, carbs and balancing things out... It's not a diet so much as it is a learning process.

In any event, extended family is already noticing the weightloss and they're joking about how I diet on-again / off-again and I'll probably fluctuate, and all that.

I say let them talk... Let them do whatever they want. So long as I'm getting the results I want and can make choices I'm confident in, then screw 'em!

Enjoy the program, and rely on communities like this. I think it's a great resource to stay motivated an on target.
EricL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm going to Ballantyne. How's it going for you?
It's going well! I did have the headache the first day but that was it. I'm actually going today to weigh in even though my 1st week will technically be tomorrow. Since there is a chance of wintry weather in Chlt tonight I didn't want to be left hi and dry! The clinic said that was fine. They are really nice at my location and I've heard great things about Ballantyne! Good luck today!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DreamWarrior
Stats: 161/161/145
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: 23 Oct 09
Its amazing how many people judge too quickly and assume that low carb is the worst way to go.

When I started, I only told my BF. My son quickly caught on and I told him that Im on a special diet and explained a little bit of it.

Only after some pressure from my mom when I went out to lunch with her did I tell her what I was doing, she insisted I eat her mashed potato and when I was adimate that I was fine with just chicken breast, I had no other choice but to tell her... she didnt like it at first, but agreed to bare with me. Now, she says I look to thin! 152 and 5'4 - I dont think soo, but that's moms for you...

For everyone else I just said "low carb." If they really wanted details I told them about Medi and left it at that. I didnt push this MOE on anyone and didnt take it to heart when they started comparing it to Atkins or commented on how dangerous it was... I just nodded and said "sure, okay" Ummhmmm "whatever" and walk away. I guess its that Jersey attitute, or just knowing the fact that no matter what I did - people werent going be happy.

When I was a power lifter, people swore I was going to end up looking like Arnold Swarchenegger! People, its a different sport, different outcome! But people are ignorant.

My favorite quote: A person is smart, people are stupid. If someone approaches you alone and they seem really sincere about their concerns, or really want to know what you're doing so that they can join in on the success, tell them... if not, just feed the masses what ever story and move on.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
When I first started the program I got judgements and concern from everyone. My husband was probably the most concerned. Then he saw my health improve, the pounds melt off and my blood work improve. 62 pounds later, my husband has now started the plan and has already lost 14 pounds in his first week. I think I can say that I have made a believer out of him. He is looking forward to getting of some of his meds.
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all of the replies and been there, done that advice!! Today went really well!! I'm not starting until tomorrow, since my appointment was so late in the day, but I'm excited!! I went to the grocery store and stocked up, so I'm all ready to go. I can't wait to lose these pounds!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It's going well! I did have the headache the first day but that was it. I'm actually going today to weigh in even though my 1st week will technically be tomorrow. Since there is a chance of wintry weather in Chlt tonight I didn't want to be left hi and dry! The clinic said that was fine. They are really nice at my location and I've heard great things about Ballantyne! Good luck today!
I saw Alissa from your clinic today...she was such a sweetheart and so helpful!! Everyone was just as nice as could be. I was completely nervous, but they made me feel right at home I think it's going to be a good journey!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I saw Alissa from your clinic today...she was such a sweetheart and so helpful!! Everyone was just as nice as could be. I was completely nervous, but they made me feel right at home I think it's going to be a good journey!
I was wondering how your day went. Alissa is great, yesterday I saw Carrie (who usually is at Ballantyne) and she's great too. We are in good hands!

Good luck on week 1!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I was wondering how your day went. Alissa is great, yesterday I saw Carrie (who usually is at Ballantyne) and she's great too. We are in good hands!

Good luck on week 1!
Thanks!! So far, so good And congrats on your loss!! I saw it in the other post. Great job!!! I hope that's me next week!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: malloryann11
Stats: 185/179.6/160
WOE: MWL
Start Date: November 3, 2009, Restart Aug. 24 2010
I just told people I was doing a south beach-ish diet where I weighed in weekly... I left out the AS and the shots lol
malloryann11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricL View Post
Remain excited! I'm a week and a half into the program and feeling better than ever before.

Now I'm focused more on calories, carbs and balancing things out... It's not a diet so much as it is a learning process.
Eric,

It is so nice to see someone get it. I am a long time poster on this board and went through the program myself, losing 62 pounds, which I have managed to maintain for 7 months now. Recently I became a counselor for Medi. I can't tell you how many clients are focused purely on the scale and the short term fix. They set goals based on numbers, not on behavior. They don't want to be bothered by journaling. I tell them that they cannot control what the scale says nearly as well as they can control their behavior and that is where their focus should be. If we don't learn the right behaviors the weight will come right back on just as soon as we go off this diet, because that is all it is then, a diet. The choice is ours.

Last edited by SDC2; 02-05-2010 at 11:30 AM..
Old 02-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
Eric,

It is so nice to see someone get it. I am a long time poster on this board and went through the program myself, losing 62 pounds, which I have managed to maintain for 7 months now. Recently I became a counselor for Medi. I can't tell you how many clients are focused purely on the scale and the short term fix. They set goals based on numbers, not on behavior. They don't want to be bothered by journaling. I tell them that they cannot control what the scale says nearly as well as they can control their behavior and that is where their focus should be. If we don't learn the right behaviors the weight will come right back on just as soon as we go off this diet, because that is all it is then, a diet. The choice is ours.
Great advice, Eric and Susie!! This isn't just about losing weight for me, it's about being healthy!! I have two little ones, and I want to be here for them for a LONG time!! More than anything, this is going to be mental for me, but I truly have faith (in myself!!) that I can do this!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

And you can! We are here to make sure of it!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MEDIMIMI
Start Date: Starting over 1/29/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloryann11 View Post
I just told people I was doing a south beach-ish diet where I weighed in weekly... I left out the AS and the shots lol
I did exactly the same thing! lol.
MEDIMIMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
To each his/her own on what to say or not say. I believe in 100% commitment to the program, therefore 100% commitment to the truth. If those who ask do not like the answer, that is THEIR problem, not mine. I was referred by my personal physician. This is, after all is said and done, a medically supervised program. I either saw the doc or the nurse practioner each and every visit during the acute phase, and now that I am in wellness, the same holds true although I only go in once a month.

The program works, as Susie can tell you too, with 100% commitment. This is a major lifestyle change which requires total commitment - body, mind and even soul. I accepted it - and I have the results to prove that it works. 262 pounds on 19Dec08, and reached my goal in September 2009. I have maintained my goal weight now for going on 5 months. I have lost 112 pounds. Those who criticized and poo-poohed me, well, they are still quite overweight and trying to hide the fat with flowing loose clothes. Sorry guys. Your problem, like I said, not mine,

So, it is up to you as to what to say. Be strong though and try the truth. You are doing what is right for you, regardless of what others may think, say or do. You are being proactive and doing something positive for your health.

It is not easy, and a lot of time, it is not fun. But this program is soooo worth it!

Jo
Old 02-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amy1915
Stats: 230/230/130
Start Date: Started Over 9/2012 after 76lb loss in 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
To each his/her own on what to say or not say. I believe in 100% commitment to the program, therefore 100% commitment to the truth. If those who ask do not like the answer, that is THEIR problem, not mine. I was referred by my personal physician. This is, after all is said and done, a medically supervised program. I either saw the doc or the nurse practioner each and every visit during the acute phase, and now that I am in wellness, the same holds true although I only go in once a month.

The program works, as Susie can tell you too, with 100% commitment. This is a major lifestyle change which requires total commitment - body, mind and even soul. I accepted it - and I have the results to prove that it works. 262 pounds on 19Dec08, and reached my goal in September 2009. I have maintained my goal weight now for going on 5 months. I have lost 112 pounds. Those who criticized and poo-poohed me, well, they are still quite overweight and trying to hide the fat with flowing loose clothes. Sorry guys. Your problem, like I said, not mine,

So, it is up to you as to what to say. Be strong though and try the truth. You are doing what is right for you, regardless of what others may think, say or do. You are being proactive and doing something positive for your health.

It is not easy, and a lot of time, it is not fun. But this program is soooo worth it!

Jo
Desert-Rose7 - Thanks so much for that insight...very motivating for those of us beginners who have 100 or more to lose.
amy1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy1915 View Post
Desert-Rose7 - Thanks so much for that insight...very motivating for those of us beginners who have 100 or more to lose.
I agree, thank you!
Old 02-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

You all will find that the truth really is the best and the easiest. I have never been able to lie, not ever. Thank goodness. I could never remember what it was I was supposed to say so it was easier to just tell the truth.

And if your friends and family, who SHOULD be your first line of support and defense, cannot understand, then it is what it is. Show them by following the program and being successful. Just do it. And come in here for support and encouragement.

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

For me, it's more of a money thing than anything else. In no way am I ashamed or anything of Medi, it's just not exactly money conscious for us. But, we are budgeting to make it work. I don't think anyone would be unsupportive of me at all, in fact, they would be very supportive. I just don't want to hear the, "You paid WHAT?!" aspect of it I've been doing Weight Watchers online and lost 6 lb. this week, so I told my mom about it, since she is semi doing WW. So, it won't be a shock when I am losing weight, since I've been on that program for awhile.

Oh, and I'm like you, Jo...I am a horrible liar! I think I'll keep it to myself long enough for me to be comfortable enough to advocate for the program, then let the cat out of the bag. They have been running Medi commercials like crazy on TV recently, so at least when I do mention it, they will have some clue of what I'm talking about!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

MWL does not run commercials here in PHX...at least not that I have seen. And as for the cost - the cost of poor health is far greater. The total amount I have spent on MWL is far less than I would have spent on heart meds and other cholesterol meds. My total cost for the acute phase is well under 2500.00. I went only every two weeks instead of every week, as I was "displaced" from my job in January last year and the clinic worked with me because I was consistently losing. The cost of my meds annually in the year previous was 7500.00. Since reaching my goal, it is reduced to 57.00 a month...which is about 685.00 a year. I would say that the cost of MWL has more than paid for itself several times over. Furthermore, as mine was physician prescribed, I can deduct it from my taxes (yes, I itemize).

Also, the cost of food, eating out, and other such incidentals, is far less now. So in the big picture of things, even though it was a tough call for me financially last year, I made it happen. And now I reap the benefits of better health, lower food bills, lower medical bills. How on earth can anyone complain about that?

Jo
Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

True to all of that. It's just hard to look at the big picture right now, but I'll get there! I've heard of others doing every other week, maybe my clinic would go for that after I've been doing well for several months. Thanks again for your insight!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

As a first step in the right direction, why don't you post your stats for us, Savleximom. Starting weight/current weight/goal weight...and height helps too.. That way we can celebrate your successes with you.

Welcome aboard!

Jo
Old 02-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

That better?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

I wanted to add to Jo's post by saying that my husband and I have saved money on going out to eat, snacks at the movies, on wine, groceries and medication. It has cost us more money in the clothing department, but that is really a fun way to spend money.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shananagins
Stats: 251/236.5/170
Start Date: 1/7/10
I am one month in and have lost 14.5lbs. I initially didn't offer up what I was doing to local friends, more as a way to mentally adjust to the program. Once friends started finding out, the support I have gotten is terrific. I have told several of them that they will help keep me accountable as they are so excited for me and KNOW I will do well. Many have asked questions, talked about what I can and can't have and have applauded the fact that every Friday nite Happy Hour I go to is celebrated with water or tea. I know an occasional beer is allowed as long as I count for it, but my thought process is that the calories in food will help me lose weight far more than the calories in beer. I am going to a Super Bowl party this afternoon and have already cut up veggies and have some low carb dips to take. Lemon and lime in my water and I am set.
I have not told my family and friends back home. Reason is that I don't see them very often and I will be looking forward to the looks and comments when I see them next!
For those who ask about cost, if they want to know because they are nosy, I tell them its not cheap, but its worth my health. I haven't had anyone chastise me for being on the program, tell me its unsafe or be less than supportive. I am lucky for that. For those of you who may not have that support, find it. Meet others who go to your clinic, meet folks in the gym, and tell those around you that aren't supporting you that this is your choice and you want their support. Good luck in your journey, I hope we all take lighter steps together!
shananagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 02/2010
Who to tell....

I only started a week ago, so my plan of who tell may change in the future. For now, I've decided to tell only the people I need direct support from. In my case, this meant primarily my husband and my parents. I work in a very small department (only 4 people), so I told my co-workers as well. It was important that they knew that I couldn't eat many of the things I had been eating, since we do a lot of eating together.

Everyone has been very supportive. I was fortunate to get instant support from my family. In fact, they had been encouraging me to start the plan since I mentioned it as a possibility back in December. It took a bit more explaining with my co-workers, but it was definitely worth it. We are having a birthday lunch next week and they've taken great pains to get my input both regarding what I can eat and what food would be horrible for me to be around.

I have specifically decided not to tell friends and family that live far away. Mostly, because I am looking forward to surprising them with how great I look
Sshals is offline   Reply With Quote