Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #91
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Medi-Annie
Stats: 219/137/140
WOE: Medi-Weight Loss
Start Date: 8/11/09
Hey Everyone! Check out my new avatar! I'm over 50 pounds gone now! Medi really is the "one that works."

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #92
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hlkgirl
Stats: 209.6/196.6/150
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 01/06/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshines6 View Post
hlk girl - how is it going? i have not been as limited with the food (or maybe i should say i have not been as unsatisfied with the options) as i thought i might be when i started. i have a ton of omaha steaks marinated chicken breasts in the freezer and last night i ate one of them for dinner.. it was good, filling, and only 90 calories. this morning i had an omelette (1 egg white, 1 egg) and it was delicious.

as for those of you who are experts.. i am starting not to feel so great. any thoughts? i have had trouble sleeping the past two nights and i'm not sure if it is the lack of sleep catching up with me or the lack of carbs. today i have a headache again (i was mostly headache free on day 2 as compared to day 1), i'm totally exhausted and feeling a lack of energy, and my legs are aching. however.. this may all be because i normally get 8 hours of sleep per night and the past two nights i've only gotten 6.

This is definitely different. In what universe do I have to force myself to eat? I am not hungry. Honestly, sometimes I'm even a little queasy. Ithought about chocolate today, but didn't even want it because it would have only been filling a want, not a need. Now I know someday I will have a moment of weakness and have it again, but not on day two. Geez!

I have also started to feel a little weird, but not too bad just kind of a heavy head, but I think the appetite suppressants are helping, I seem to have more energy. I've never taken pills like that before, but no racing heart symptoms, so I'm good. I also haven't had caffeine in 2 days (normally a diet Pepsi drinker).

It's nice to have this forum because when I have a weird symptom, I find it's pretty common with other people on here and what they've experienced. So I don't have to call the doctor and have them convince me I'm not dying.

Again, it is very fun at first and challenging, but I hope the "new ness" doesn't wear off too soon. Hang in there!

My biggest motivation is my family. We haven't had a family picture together since 2004. My kids have never seen me small, I've always been heavy. We have high school and family reunions, and not to go because I'm too fat is not acceptable. I am taking control, as this is the only thing I feel has gotten out of control.

Okay the appetite suppressant also gives me the energy to ramble. Thanks for listening and looking forward to my results this week.

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."
– F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 01-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hlkgirl
Stats: 209.6/196.6/150
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 01/06/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCOX View Post
Hi--so I am new-but I am determined to make this work and make a life style change-I have done weight watchers and Atkins-lost some but gained it all back plus some--I am 31 years old and refuse to have my picture takes because they make me cry- I am not the same person I was that my husband married 9 years ago-and I miss that person. I am very private and trying to keep this to just my husband and my parents and a few very close friends.

I have realized if I do not do this-my daughters will never have a picture of me with them--and I do not want that. Also my sister is getting married and I do not want to be the heavy one yet again==I was never heavy until I had my first daughter who is now 6--I can LOOSE THIS! I have to stick to the plan and I will--I have faith!

I know that no carbs will work it has in the past-I just must first get through this first week--and weekend-they are always my hardest.

About working out starting week 2--I have two children and work 7-5--the last thing I want to do is be away from them in the evenings--have any of you used the Wii Fit?
There never seems to be enough time. Wii Fit is really fun, but there are other games and things you can get to play together that also give you a good workout. Amazon.com is a good place to get ideas. We try to go to the YMCA together as a family, also I will try to be open to outdoor activities when it warms up. I have never been this cold in all my life, brrrrr!

My kids are 12 and 5, so they are a lot more independent, you have a 6 year old and a younger one? Even after I get home, do dinner, baths, etc, the last thing I want to do is exercise. But I do manage to sit on my bottom and watch TV, so I find little things to do, I always think I have to work out for hours, but there are lots of options that don't require a lot of commitment.

That's my two cents for what it's worth. I hope I can find some ideas that allow me to exercise with my kids. Dance party is fun, but usually I am the only one participating and being advised to never do that in public

Good luck!

Last edited by hlkgirl; 01-07-2010 at 05:05 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #94
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ree07
Stats: 192.5/143/140
WOE: Medi
Start Date: Sept 23
I was traveling for the holidays and bummed I missed the cut-off for submitting December stats. Thanks for the extra time, Jo!! I lost 8 lbs last month.

Catching up on all the posts, I had quite a few of responses in line, but you all did excellent saying all the things I had in mind. Great job, guys! In order to beat my chocolate cravings I've been mixing dark cocoa powder with a little Truvia. It does the job well.

Finally, I've recently discovered sunchokes (also called Jerusalem artichokes) that can be used as a potato substitute. They are low on the glycemic index since they store insulin rather than starch. As a result, they are recommended for diabetics, but the principle holds for our WOL, too. I had leek and sunchoke soup the other day, and it was wonderful. Has anybody else tried these bad boys?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Question - I am kind of weird about canned soups and I really just don't like plain chicken broth at all unless it is homemade (which I don't have time for). I also don't like diet shakes. I think it's something about premade foods, etc, I am really just picky and have this weird thing about them. However, I saw online that the EAS shakes have 3 carbs. Can I have a 1/2 cup of broccoli or something instead of this? I was thinking definitely not until my first weigh in but if I can have a shake then maybe I am misunderstanding? I am also having some stomach issues from lack of fiber (this has always been a problem for me and I was worried about what no fiber in my diet would do) and I think that introducing some vegetables would help that.
Sunshine,

JMHO, but you are not supposed to have vegetables in week 1 according to the materials they give you at week 1. I understand your wanting to swap out the 3g carbs from the shake with 3g carbs of brocolli, but, I wouldn't advise it. Just try to hang in there and complete the week. My guess would be that the difference between the brocolli and the EAS shake is that the EAS shake has a substantial amount of protein to counteract the effect from the 3g of carbs. Protein stays in your system longer and normalizes your blood sugar. The point of week 1 is to cleanse your system of carbs (and thus carb cravings) and to get into ketosis.

You might want to call your clinic tomorrow and see what they have to say.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ree07 View Post
In order to beat my chocolate cravings I've been mixing dark cocoa powder with a little Truvia. It does the job well.
Another great substitute for chocolate is the Walden Farms 0 calorie chocolate syrup. It is great in the unsweetened almond milk, or in nonfat plain greek yogurt.

Also, MediAnnie, congrats on reaching 50 pounds!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:13 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
A couple of other chocolate ideas (for week 2 and beyond) in case you don't like the Walden Farms stuff. I personally cannot stand any of the Walden Farms products but I am VERY picky about processed flavors. A lot of people swear by them, so I encourage you to try them and not base your opinion on me!

Anyhoo, buy the unsweetened Chocolate Almond Milk (make sure it's unsweetened.. this is usually on the shelf, not refrigerated) and sweeten with Splenda or your preferred sweetener. I like to heat this up and then have a tbsp of cool whip free on top. YUMMY!

Also, I buy the South Beach dark chocolate covered soy nuts in the pharmacy section at Wal Mart. They come in 100 calorie packets and they are great for PMS! Obviously, moderation is key and these are not an every day food, but when you're really craving during TOM, these hit the spot

Mommy to THREE sweeties, ages 4(g), 3(g), and 8 months(b)!

Lost 100 pounds on Medi in 2009! Gained it back during bedrest for a high-risk pregnancy Restart: January 2012!!

Week 1: -12.8 pounds
Month 1: -20.6 pounds
Month 2: -16.8 pounds
Old 01-08-2010, 06:21 AM   #98
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sunshines6
Stats: 181/161.8/125 (5ft4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
Sunshine,

JMHO, but you are not supposed to have vegetables in week 1 according to the materials they give you at week 1. I understand your wanting to swap out the 3g carbs from the shake with 3g carbs of brocolli, but, I wouldn't advise it. Just try to hang in there and complete the week. My guess would be that the difference between the brocolli and the EAS shake is that the EAS shake has a substantial amount of protein to counteract the effect from the 3g of carbs. Protein stays in your system longer and normalizes your blood sugar. The point of week 1 is to cleanse your system of carbs (and thus carb cravings) and to get into ketosis.

You might want to call your clinic tomorrow and see what they have to say.
Thanks! My clinic is actually not open until Monday (which is when I go in anyway) so I am just going to stick with what I am doing. One more question, last night my achiness got substantially worse. My legs were killing me and my arms were starting to hurt too... I was in a lot of pain. I felt like I had just ran 10 miles or something after having not worked out in a year. Do you still think this is all related? I didn't expect it to get that bad. I did take 3 advil and that made it more bearable and this morning I am fine.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DreamWarrior
Stats: 161/161/145
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: 23 Oct 09
Quote:
Can I have a 1/2 cup of broccoli or something instead of this? I was thinking definitely not until my first weigh in but if I can have a shake then maybe I am misunderstanding?
No, you're not misunderstanding, there is 3 grams of allowed carbs in a protein shake... The important part of this equation for the first week is the PROTEIN part in protein shake.

Dont jeopardize your first week with broccoli. That's not the point. Carbs are limited... focus on the protein and you'll be fine.

Next week, broccoli. But you still have to keep the protein portion up or else this MOE will not work, so you might need to keep drinking the protein shake for the rest of the accute phase, in addition to the broccoli.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My legs were killing me and my arms were starting to hurt too... I was in a lot of pain. I felt like I had just ran 10 miles or something after having not worked out in a year. Do you still think this is all related? I didn't expect it to get that bad. I did take 3 advil and that made it more bearable and this morning I am fine.
I havent heard of this. Check with your doctor as soon as you get chance, it may not be diet related at all. Better to be on the safe side.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am also having some stomach issues from lack of fiber (this has always been a problem for me and I was worried about what no fiber in my diet would do) and I think that introducing some vegetables would help that.
Oh yeah, about that.... I recommend the Medi Colon Cleansers... they're great and help out a lot.

Also, try some natural herbal tea stimulants. A whole foods or natural center would carry them. My supermarket sells them (I use Manasul). But heed my warning, don’t steep the tea bags too long - at least until your body starts getting used to them, they can cause cramping and make your life miserable.

I can’t use Correctol or X-Lax (too strong) or OTC fiber powder (not strong enough), so the teas are great for me.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
For sunshine6
About the muscle cramping....it can be a side effect of dehydration - of not enough water and salt in the system. I say CAN be, not that it is. However. I am with Susie and the others about the broccoli. This WOE is extremely specific about what you may and may not eat during the acute phase. I am concerned about your wanting to find ways around the specifics. This WOE does require 100% commitment from you, and adherence to the program as it is given to you. The minute to try to find ways around it, regardless of how "picky" you are, it is not going to work for you. And look at Susie's, Jessica's, Kate's and my statistics for an example. We made it through the hard way - 100% commitment to the program all the way and we are now enjoying the results of that hard work. It is definitely worth it, but you must commit. I do wish you success. And as DreamWarrior said, check with your doc on the cramping.

Jo
Old 01-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #103
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sunshines6
Stats: 181/161.8/125 (5ft4)
Thank you all for the helpful info!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbiggars63
Stats: 493/192/193
Start Date: 1/23/2009
I am in the final drive for weightloss before my tummy tuck on the 27th. Lowered my KOPS goal to 238 at our last meeting of December and weighed in at 238! Whew! Close! I'm already down to 233.5 as of today! Hoping to be in the low 220's or high 2-teen's by the 27th....we will see! Then, I have been told I will lose 15-25 pounds with the surgery so 220-15 = 205 then my dream goal is within reach (12 pounds)! To reach ONE-derland and 193 would make me a unique 3 century award winner! Just awesome! On another note, I will be interviewed by a radio superstation out of Detroit next week that will air on the 24th. WRJ-760 has a program called "Anything is Possible" that highlights inspirational people and can be heard in 27 states and Canada.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbiggars63
Stats: 493/192/193
Start Date: 1/23/2009
new one! It is so cool being able to see ribs and a chest cavaty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shrinkingman.jpg (35.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggars63 View Post
I am in the final drive for weightloss before my tummy tuck on the 27th. Lowered my KOPS goal to 238 at our last meeting of December and weighed in at 238! Whew! Close! I'm already down to 233.5 as of today! Hoping to be in the low 220's or high 2-teen's by the 27th....we will see! Then, I have been told I will lose 15-25 pounds with the surgery so 220-15 = 205 then my dream goal is within reach (12 pounds)! To reach ONE-derland and 193 would make me a unique 3 century award winner! Just awesome! On another note, I will be interviewed by a radio superstation out of Detroit next week that will air on the 24th. WRJ-760 has a program called "Anything is Possible" that highlights inspirational people and can be heard in 27 states and Canada.
Wow!! How incredible and totally awesome!! Keep us posted on your surgery schedule and up to the minute details... I know some of us would love to shout out a prayer for you and wish you well, as well as a speedy recovery!

Im loving the livestrong shirt!! We are such Lance fans at home.

Congrats again!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Here's a New One...

Okay - pardon my ignorance... please! :blush:

But, are veggie burgers going on my protein calories... or my veggie calories?!

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fit2b55
Stats: 218/211/178
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 6/24/09-Maintenance 10/12/09!!: RESTART 5/27/14
Good question. I didn't do veggie burgers in acute. In maintenance, I eat the veggie sausage patties with my eggs and count them as protein.

I think if I were you, I'd count them as a protein AND eliminate one veggie on the day you eat them....you can probably look at the nutritional panel and see if this works out right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crobyninc
Stats: 335/243/180
WOE: Low carb and watching calories
Start Date: March 9 2009
Jerry!!! Congrats, you are just awesome. Good luck with the interview and more importantly your coming operation! Keep us posted!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Jessica, how did your Carabbas meal go???? Hope you had fun!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
Robyn- It is next Thursday.. I was mistaken but thankfully I realized it before I showed up alone! Still looking forward to it and then the next day I will go back to week 1. My surgeon said Thursday next week I am cleared to re-start so I decided to start on Friday because of that potential mess of a meal!

Jerry- Truly Amazing!!! That's so awesome. Can't wait to see you after your sugery too!

DW- I would ask your clinic. I never used the veggie burgers.. aren't they kind of high in carbs?? IDK.

sunshine- I agree that the cramping does not sound normal. Have you had any fluids with electrolytes like the PowerAde Zero or Crystal Light Hydration? It makes me think you need something in the mineral area in addition to fluids overall
Old 01-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Hahahaha Jessica! Good thing you looked! But great news from the surgeon! Wishing you all the best!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katew1129
Stats: 232/212/130
WOE: Medi-weight loss
Start Date: January 2013
Annie - Congrats on hitting 50! Way to go!!!

Sunshine06 - I agree with Jo, it may be dehydration. Are you drinking at least 1 water with an electrolyte (crystal light hydration, powerade zero, smart water?)

Jerry - WOW! What an inspiration! Love the new picture!

DW - I have had the occational veggie burger (Morningstar ones) and I could them as protein calories. El had a good point...count as protein but eliminate the veggie for the day.

Jessica - so glad to hear you are feeling better.

I am down another 3 this week! Getting there! I am really kicking my exercise into high gear! Running a race in Charleston next weekend (my first), starting pilates tomorrow and just signed up for a 3 week boot camp that is Mon, Wed and Fri evenings outside. I am a little worried about the time commitment but my husband was totally for it and said he will arrange babysitters for dates he will be traveling so I signed up! Hoping to have a great January!

Congrats to all the losers out there and welcome to all the newbies!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CCCOX
Stats: 195-135-135
Start Date: 1/5/10
ok I posted this on newbies thread but thought I would post here--are yucky burps that taste like fish normal
Old 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #115
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: saraanne
Stats: 188/161/140
WOE: Medi-Weight Loss
Start Date: 01/06/10
I joined on Wednesday and started following the plan on Thursday. So far so good. I really hope that this is what makes a difference in my life.

I've made it through 2 days with no "cheats", which is pretty good for me. I'm really excited about the changes that I can make and I am so thankful to have found these boards.

sara
Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #116
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shananagins
Stats: 251/236.5/170
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 1/7/10
Sara,
Right there with ya! Day 2 and no problems so far. Slight headaches but seem to be relieved with a couple of excedrin. I am not particularly hungry, but can tell when the snackies attack, usually in front of the tv. Must change habits! Excited about the program and all the good info here as well. Seems like there is alot of support here. Happy slimming to you!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katew1129
Stats: 232/212/130
WOE: Medi-weight loss
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCOX View Post
ok I posted this on newbies thread but thought I would post here--are yucky burps that taste like fish normal
Freeze your Omega/Fish oil pills. It helps a bunch!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AshleyR
Stats: 6'~250.2/195/180
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: October 12, 2009
Conrgats to all on the weight loss! WHOOT!

Welcome to all the newbies.. Medi "IS" what works.. we are all proof of it!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #119
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dexterkids
Stats: 183/171/150
Start Date: 11/13/09
Water Weight

I'm on week 8 and have only lost 17 lbs. I did have 2 weeks over Christmas that was hard and only lost one pound so I shouldn't complain. However, when I weighed in last week I had lost 2 lbs. fat but gained 2 lbs of muscle and 4lbs. of water!!! I've really have gotten back on my water this week. Should I see this water weight be back down next weigh in? The scale is frustrating me- I'm losing fat but gaining muscle so I'm not seeing the scale go down. Clothes are feeling looser but still want to see it on the scale. I also kicked myself out of ketosis but hopefully will be back in by tomorrow. Has anyone else put weight back on due to muscle?
Old 01-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tracy_d
Stats: 5'7'' 191.5/150.5/150 now on maintenance
Start Date: June 8, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

Thanks.
if it has protein- count it in your protein calories- how many carbs? If there are carbs- count it with veggies as well.
Closed Thread