Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 03:20 AM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tracy_d
Stats: 5'7'' 191.5/150.5/150 now on maintenance
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: June 8, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCOX View Post
Hi guys! so I have a confession-I HATE veggies-all but corn-and baked beans and fried okra--lol like those do me any good! I have learned this week that I love onions strange huh--

so for my real reason of posting--on the AS can you still give blood?
Also check out the recipe thread. I have one in there for cauliflower that is SOO good. I never really liked broccoli until I tried it in "broccoli salad" I think that recipe is there too. Do you like salad? Just have it with low fat or FF dressing and use 1/2 or the serving size or less.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2010, 04:21 AM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fit2b55
Stats: 218/211/178
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 6/24/09-Maintenance 10/12/09!!: RESTART 5/27/14
Understand completely. You might consider a Zone bar...ok Carb Protein mix and 220 calories...high side normally but I've done them after blood donation when I've been dieting and didn't want to OD on Nutter Butters! Good for you for supporting your husband's co-worker. I'm sure your donation will be much appreciated! El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
CCCOX and Fit2b50, Just last Friday I learned someone at work's husband is in a serious medical condition in the ICU and our workplace arranged an employee blood drive to help provide for the costs of all the blood he's had to receive. I talked with my Medi clinic today and they know next week when I give I'll have just finished week 4 and they said it was fine to donate and that's all they said. I think I'll plan to eat red meat the day before and possibly the day of the blood draw to help rebuild red blood cells and eat my low carbs after I donate, perhaps a tablespoon of peanut butter , some cocoa almonds, or cottage cheese, and drinks lots of water!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:07 AM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nick80
Stats: 6ft 249/175/180
WOE: Mediweight- maintenance
Start Date: October 1, 2009
Hello all
Just had my weigh-in yesterday (not expecting much because it was another travel week). I was surprised as i lost 6.4 lbs. I am 4.2 pounds away from my goal. I am excited since I didnt expect such rapid weight loss. granted I have no patience but this WOE, WOL has exceeded my expectations. I am however, still nervous about eating to maintain my weight, so I have to carefully monitor what I eat so as not to drop too much more once I am down to my goal.

Keep it up everyone!!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #274
Senior LCF Member

forgot to say my fat percent is well in normal range and i have lost a total of 64 lbs.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #275
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: readyforachange
Stats: 199/179/140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: December 9, 2009
Congratulations Nick80! That's awesome!!!

Since i'm pretty new at all of this I need to ask some advice from some of you who have done so well! This is my first TOM since I gave birth to my son back in September because I nursed my son for three months (don't worry, I had to stop nursing due to some medical issues before I even thought about going on the program)...so anyhow. Even with the AS I was severely craving something sweet so I took the liberty of assuming that some of the Russell Stover sugar-free candies were "okay". Well I will admit I got a little carried away, and in three days I ended up eating like 10 candies. I was doing SO well on the program and I stepped on the scale this morning and I am pretty sure I messed up my ketosis. I'm really discouraged and disappointed in myself because I could have eaten something medi-friendly. I don't have any ketostix so I'm not positive but I have only lost 0.4 lbs since last Wednesday's weigh-in and I was averaging about 3-5 lbs loss a week when I stick to the diet to a T. Should I go back to Induction?

Sorry for the long post! Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CCCOX
Stats: 195-135-135
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 1/5/10
No blunt is good-but I must admit-I am a huge texture person and most of them literally make me throw up before I can even get them down-I have met with nutritionist before and said if it is texture it is not something I will learn--but I was never a big junk person just bread-so I will be fine--I will succeed even on just a few veggies

Weighed in today Week two loss-3.7 Total so far 16.7 and two inches in my waist! WHOOOHOOO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
CCCOX,

I think you need to reprogram your likes and dislikes if you want to succeed. I am glad you found out you like onions. I grill peppers and onions (and sometimes mushrooms) together all the time and serve them with fajitas, turkey sausage, as part of a breadless philly cheesesteak, ... They are also great on the crustless pizza and crustless quesidillas.

For me being thin is so much more important than the junk I used to put in my mouth. In fact, I love knowing that I am fueling my body with healthy choices and I am the better for it. This WOL is a choice. And I didn't even mention yet the money you have already invested in this WOL.

I don't mean to be so blunt, but I would really like you to succeed and it always sends up warning signs when posters complain about vegetables in the early weeks. Most people are thrilled to have them once they are denied a week. Good luck to you and I truely hope you succeed.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TriMom
Stats: 280.4/198.5/180
Start Date: July 21st, 2009
Lost .4 and 2 pounds of fat!

I did a little shopping this weekend and large tops look way big on me. Shirts I bought in November no longer fit me. I can't believe I have all sorts of tops in mediums now!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbiggars63
Stats: 493/192/193
Start Date: 1/23/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick80 View Post
Hello all
Just had my weigh-in yesterday (not expecting much because it was another travel week). I was surprised as i lost 6.4 lbs. I am 4.2 pounds away from my goal. I am excited since I didnt expect such rapid weight loss. granted I have no patience but this WOE, WOL has exceeded my expectations. I am however, still nervous about eating to maintain my weight, so I have to carefully monitor what I eat so as not to drop too much more once I am down to my goal.

Keep it up everyone!!
WTG Nick! That 4.2 will not last long! Keep up with your food log and you should be able to adjust your intake to maintain you weight goal!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMom View Post
Lost .4 and 2 pounds of fat!

I did a little shopping this weekend and large tops look way big on me. Shirts I bought in November no longer fit me. I can't believe I have all sorts of tops in mediums now!
LIFE IS GOOD right?!?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #280
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggars63 View Post
WTG Nick! That 4.2 will not last long! Keep up with your food log and you should be able to adjust your intake to maintain you weight goal!
Thanks Jbiggars! i am excited. I went from a size 44 waist to wearing clothes with a 34 waist. Its a great feeling and i hope those folks who are finding it difficult to keep on truckin'!

good job everyone!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #281
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smaller_please
Stats: 5'6" 190.8/150.0/135
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: August 23, 2009 Restart 3/29/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyforachange View Post
Congratulations Nick80! That's awesome!!!

Since i'm pretty new at all of this I need to ask some advice from some of you who have done so well! This is my first TOM since I gave birth to my son back in September because I nursed my son for three months (don't worry, I had to stop nursing due to some medical issues before I even thought about going on the program)...so anyhow. Even with the AS I was severely craving something sweet so I took the liberty of assuming that some of the Russell Stover sugar-free candies were "okay". Well I will admit I got a little carried away, and in three days I ended up eating like 10 candies. I was doing SO well on the program and I stepped on the scale this morning and I am pretty sure I messed up my ketosis. I'm really discouraged and disappointed in myself because I could have eaten something medi-friendly. I don't have any ketostix so I'm not positive but I have only lost 0.4 lbs since last Wednesday's weigh-in and I was averaging about 3-5 lbs loss a week when I stick to the diet to a T. Should I go back to Induction?

Sorry for the long post! Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Just get back on track asap! Whenever I crave something sweet I fix a cup of HOT cinnamon apple tea with extra splenda, that normally satisfies me. Or I'll fix a 1/4 cup of FF cottage cheese with 1/2 teaspoon of splenda brown sugar and cinnamon.... It is all about being prepared for those times of weakness. We no longer keep anything that is not diet approved in the house, so that way if we do binge any it isn't completely off course. You'll have some days where the diet is the easiest thing in the world, then others you'll feel challenged. Just find ways to be prepared for the good days and the bad ones. Learn your trigger foods so you can stay away from them. If you are having really bad craving ask your clinic about the other shot (I think it is a B6 shot), it helps some people. Good Luck! Just get back on track, you won't be sorry you did!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katew1129
Stats: 232/212/130
WOE: Medi-weight loss
Start Date: January 2013
So happy to hear about everyone's losses! Congrats!
Welcome to all the newcomers! So glad to have you here!!!

I lost 3.5 this week! On top of that I had a big week of first's. I took my first pilates class, my first yoga class, started a boot camp that is every Monday, Wed & Fri nights (outside) and did my first race.

We went to Charleston, SC and ran the Riverfront Race. It was so wonderful and can't wait for my next one! I though so much this weekend about how far I have come since June. I am sad for the person I was back then and can't believe still I got to that point. I am 5 feet tall (short ) and was 248 pounds. I was happy, but unhappy you know. I always dreded going out because of what to wear and what I looked like etc. I am so much happier now and so much healthier. I thought a lot about that this weekend as I ran and celebrated all over Charleston! During the end of the race I was getting pretty tired and my brother and husband came up (they had finished) and ran the last 500 yards with me. It was a wonderful moment. I wanted to share a picture from the race next to my before picture.

I still have a way to go but wanted to thank you all for your support and encouragement. This board has helped me a ton and know it will continue to.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TriMom
Stats: 280.4/198.5/180
Start Date: July 21st, 2009
KATE! You are such an inspiration! You are so strong! You have come so very far!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #284
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hlkgirl
Stats: 209.6/196.6/150
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 01/06/2010
Everyone is doing so well, I love to read about everyone's progress, especially the newbies like myself. Well today was week 2 (okay day 13, but who's counting), and I have lost a total of 9.4 in two weeks. Now I could complain and say that everyone else lost that in week one, but I am okay with doing it steadily if it helps me. I think I might also be one of those people that need Metformin, which I have been told in the past to help with the insulin resistance...anyone else? Can you share your experiences/side effects etc? I would like to try and maximize my weight loss for my body. I am almost to "One"derland...I have gotten used to eating like this, and since it doesn't allow the things I used to crave, it's much easier to avoid them. Moderation was never really my thing.

My next challenge and I'm already dreading it, is my birthday, we usually go to dinner and there is usually cake involved. I will start planning ahead now and see if we can find a good alternative.

I wish everyone continued success and thanks for listening.

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."
– F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: malloryann11
Stats: 185/179.6/160
WOE: MWL
Start Date: November 3, 2009, Restart Aug. 24 2010
Had a good week! Trying a Zumba class today!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #286
Senior LCF Member

WOW Kate look at you!! What an amazing difference so far! I can not wait to have a picture to be able to actually see results!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Well, with the added workload, I am just maintaining my 231 pounds. It looks like my exercise will stop on Monday the 25th. I am resting on Tuesday and making sure I am hydrated and the body is ready for this change! The new spin music is awesome! A mix of old and new and it is very challenging! If you want to try it, attend a group ride session at any Genesis Health Club! Starting to become a little more excited and apprehensive as the Tummy Tuck / Hernia Repair day closes in on me.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #288
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: readyforachange
Stats: 199/179/140
Start Date: December 9, 2009
Thanks smaller_please! I have tried so hard to stay away from the junk! My husband is not on any diet and is not watching what he eats! He brings junk into the house all the time and I thought I was doing so well resisting all his brownies and cupcakes and nonsense! No more excuses for me! I feel so great when I know i'm sticking to the program because I know that I'm losing weight! I'm getting back on track asap for sure! Also, when I get my injections I tell them "give me all you've got"! So I do get the B6 and everything else; however, I only get them once a week! Maybe I should try twice a week?

One more thing--Kate you look amazing!!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #289
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anewstart
Stats: 218.8/160.5/160
Start Date: October 19, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCOX View Post
Hi guys! so I have a confession-I HATE veggies-all but corn-and baked beans and fried okra--lol like those do me any good! I have learned this week that I love onions strange huh--

so for my real reason of posting--on the AS can you still give blood?
Yes you may still give blood.. I work for the Red Cross part time .. youre good to go!! Thanks for giving the gift of life
Old 01-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #290
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
CCCOX and Fit2b50, Just last Friday I learned someone at work's husband is in a serious medical condition in the ICU and our workplace arranged an employee blood drive to help provide for the costs of all the blood he's had to receive. I talked with my Medi clinic today and they know next week when I give I'll have just finished week 4 and they said it was fine to donate and that's all they said. I think I'll plan to eat red meat the day before and possibly the day of the blood draw to help rebuild red blood cells and eat my low carbs after I donate, perhaps a tablespoon of peanut butter , some cocoa almonds, or cottage cheese, and drinks lots of water!
Thats perfect! Diabetics generally do not indulge in a "sugary" snack after donating. I think the peanut butter or nuts is a great idea... and yes be SURE to hydrate well over the next day or two after donating!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #291
Senior LCF Member

thanks-I will go ahead and donate next week!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #292
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
Heather- Do you have PCOS? I do and was on Metformin for several years. I was only boderline insulin resistant. However, once I got under 200 pounds my Dr took me off of it because my labs show now that I am not even close to borderline IR! Amazing. Metformin is hard on the body. You might lose weight taking it but it can cause diarrhea, nausea, and stomach pain. It made me sick a LOT. I would say to try losing weight with Medi first, then if you are still having IR issues consider Metformin. Much better to be healthy overall and see if the IR is still hanging around than to take a medication that you could potentially need for the rest of your life! Hope that made sense. Anyway, I hated Met and I'm SOOO happy to be off of it!

Mommy to THREE sweeties, ages 4(g), 3(g), and 8 months(b)!

Lost 100 pounds on Medi in 2009! Gained it back during bedrest for a high-risk pregnancy Restart: January 2012!!

Week 1: -12.8 pounds
Month 1: -20.6 pounds
Month 2: -16.8 pounds
Old 01-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #293
Junior LCF Member

Ok my last post I promise! I had my weigh in yesterday.. end of week twelve and my weight stayed the same, but I was down 3.4lbs fat... I admit, its been a rough week, I had company in town and even though I went out to dinner several times, I made healthy choices, I did however indulge in too many alcoholic beverages and didnt drink near my quota of water. I have different company til the end of next week and I had 2 slices of pizza last night and chocolate! argh! I felt like crap and this morning vowed to myself that I would not go off plan again.. so far so good. I let them know this am that I didnt feel good after eating badly and that I would have to stay on plan the rest of their visit... I can do this.. right?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #294
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ree07
Stats: 192.5/143/140
Start Date: Sept 23
Well, it finally happened. I've been losing weight from my mid-section and hips -which was exactly what I was going for. This morning, I looked inmirror and wondered where my chest went. I guess it was just a matter of time before my body discovered that fat source to burn through. I guess it isn't a bad thing, it just means excersizing will be that much easier without them!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #295
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thinin10
Stats: 217/160
Start Date: 1/19/2010
Today was great. I woke up full of energy, got to work early, and had a great day. Usually I am tired and sluggish and need a nap by the time I get home from work, but not today! I feel great. Will this energy level last?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Metformin/Insulin Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy-2-girls View Post
Heather- Do you have PCOS? I do and was on Metformin for several years. I was only boderline insulin resistant. However, once I got under 200 pounds my Dr took me off of it because my labs show now that I am not even close to borderline IR! Amazing. Metformin is hard on the body. You might lose weight taking it but it can cause diarrhea, nausea, and stomach pain. It made me sick a LOT. I would say to try losing weight with Medi first, then if you are still having IR issues consider Metformin. Much better to be healthy overall and see if the IR is still hanging around than to take a medication that you could potentially need for the rest of your life! Hope that made sense. Anyway, I hated Met and I'm SOOO happy to be off of it!
Hi Heather and Mommy-2-girls, I go to the same clinic as you Heather and Dr Cobb is awesome. She knows her stuff and in her previous long OB-GYN practice worked very closely with and endocrinologist who taught her about managing insulin resistance with Metformin. Metformin makes your cells more receptive the the insulin your own pancreas is still providing. I started Metformin a week after my first appt with Medi in 10/08...I lost 24 lbs in 4 months going to Medi regularly and taking 1000 mg of Met daily. The only side effect I had was a little GI belching, and actually, it kind of helps prevent the constipation so usual with the protein diet. Unfortunately due to financial circumstances and emergency I stopped going thinking I could do it on my own, but I was still 25 lbs from goal and didn't keep myself on task/accountable/kept lying to myself/and recently eleven months later I'd regained the loss. Stress+lack of planning+self-deception=certain failure!
Last year I did not know about this site. I'm SO glad I'm here...and this time I will endure and show up til graduation from the program after maintenance!!

The thing about Insulin Resistance (and not being on a med for it) is that your cells/body are NOT getting the nutrition it needs effectively because the cell is resisting the insulin to bring as much nutrient as you eat INTO the cell, so your body thinks it's being starved! It makes you crave immediate relief of the feeling of being starved and so you eat! Then, as well all know, over abundance of calories that are not expended turn to fat! Metformin makes my cells respond and makes sense.

Anyway, Metformin, yes, can be a dangerous drug but you'd have some side effects that would show up and you'd have time to stop it (lactic acidosis). Drinking lots of fluid while taking it helps anyways. Also, you have to stop the drug before any anesthesia or before IV contrast dye studies....no biggie, I have patients that do that all the time. And then they restart it after 48 hours. Talk with Dr Cobb and then your own personal MD. THANKS to Dr Cobb I was made aware of my IR and my blood sugars were not over 130 (which is when you really start damaging your arteries and organs, and higher!). My HgA1C was 5.2 last year (showing I was nearing the dx of diabetes...that shows generally how high your blood sugar has consistently been for the past 2-3 months. This year it was 5.9 and I've now added Januvia. Some would say I'm a diabetic, but I don't have to check blood sugars, etc because these meds just make my own body work better/my own insulin working on my own cells under the influence of these meds. Neither of these DROP blood sugar really.

BTW, my goal is to stop the Januiva when I reach maintenance and ideally stop Metformin when I'm consistent with exercising. My current schedule (work 2 part time=full time; and grad school full time) leave me little time to exercise but I'm trying to get in 1-3 hours per wk now.

I know this is long. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Fit2010; 01-19-2010 at 04:26 PM..
Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: QueenCityDiva
Stats: 5'10" 266/245.4/165
Start Date: Originally 10/09 Restarted 1/10
Kate, I just wanted to say how INCREDIBLY proud of you I am! I wish I had known about the race - we were IN Charleston this weekend and I would have loved to be at the finish line cheering for you!!!

You look FABULOUS! You've lost since I last saw you and I think you look wonderful! You are SUCH an inspiration to me!!!! THANK YOU!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
Fit2010/Heather- Just wanted to add that my experience with Metformin is PURELY based on being treated for PCOS. I am not diabetic and have never been. Using it to treat PCOS is sort of a secondary use for the medication. I also have never experienced constipation on this diet so I cannot speak for that side of things. If you're not using it for PCOS, then feel free to disregard what I posted. And my OBGYN is the one who prescribed it for me and also diagnosed my PCOS in the first place
Old 01-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marymo
Stats: 292/197/187
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: Dec 2, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyforachange View Post
Thanks smaller_please! I have tried so hard to stay away from the junk! My husband is not on any diet and is not watching what he eats! He brings junk into the house all the time and I thought I was doing so well resisting all his brownies and cupcakes and nonsense! No more excuses for me! I feel so great when I know i'm sticking to the program because I know that I'm losing weight! I'm getting back on track asap for sure! Also, when I get my injections I tell them "give me all you've got"! So I do get the B6 and everything else; however, I only get them once a week! Maybe I should try twice a week?

One more thing--Kate you look amazing!!!!
It is hard when the other person brings home the "junk food". I feel for you. I told my 19 year old daughter to hide them so I do not get tempted. Out of sight, out of mind. Hopefully, your husband after he sees how well you do, may want to encourage you later and maybe join the same way of eating (WOE). Will pray for you for that.

Meanwhile, you asked about the shots. I really think the twice a week helps with energy and boosting the metabolism. Some people says it does not make a difference, but I noticed it when I could not get the shots due to the clinic being closed over the holidays.

I felt really tired with only set of shots a week. I do the B6/B12 twice a week as it helped me out a lot and feel it's worth the extra $10 for the extra B6.

Pre-MWL: -5 loss then Month 1: -23 ~ Month 2: -12.5 ~ Month 3: -12 ~ Month 4: -10.8 ~ Month 5: -10.5 ~ Month 6: -8.2 ~ Month 7: -8.6 ~ Month 8: 4.4 ~~
Total Loss 95 lbs in 8 months ~~
Goodbye 200s!! Whoo! Hoo! Hallelujah! God is great! I am in ONEderland! 10 more pounds to my goal!
“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” -- Helen Keller
“What I am looking for is not "out there", it is in me” -- Helen Keller
Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #300
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: saraanne
Stats: 188/161/140
WOE: Medi-Weight Loss
Start Date: 01/06/10
Had my second weigh in today. Lost another 4.2 so I am now down 10.8. I am so happy with that! This week's goal is to walk a bunch since I am traveling until Sunday. I packed shakes and protein bars to combat some of the eating out, but so far the one meals I've had was good. They had turkey, cauliflower (sp?), broccoli and salad. I feel like I was able to make really good choices for dinner. I won't have to make choices until lunch tomorrow, but I noticed a subway in the food court around the corner and I can hit that if I don't have enough time for a sit down lunch. My week two handouts had some good tips for eating at subway. So I feel like I'm well prepared for tomorrow.
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

sara
Closed Thread