Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 03:00 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: peachesr
Hair Loss

Hi! I have been on Medi since May and have reached my goal! 44 pounds lost to date. I have been maintaining a few months now. yay!

Just the past couple of weeks my hair has been coming out like crazy! I can't really tell just by looking at it, but it is freaking me out. I would think you can tell if this continues for much longer!

Has anyone else experienced this? I have been reading that rapid weight loss or any diet changes can cause this problem and my hair dresser said the same thing. Will this eventually stop? I would post this on the main thread, but I really don't have time to go through many many postings just for a quick answer.

Help! I wan't to keep my hair!
peachesr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Justin1
Stats: 324.5/197/190
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 4/15/09
are you taking Omega 3? I thought that was supposed to help with hair/skin/nails?
Justin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
Peachesr,
Try doing a search on the board for "hair loss" and you'll find that this has been discussed many times It is very common. A lot of people use Biotin supplements along with Omega 3's to stop the loss.
Mommy-2-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Found it! Thanks!
Old 11-12-2009, 04:55 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fit2b55
Stats: 218/211/178
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 6/24/09-Maintenance 10/12/09!!: RESTART 5/27/14
You are on maintenance and just now losing weight?? Where do you live? The reason I ask-I lose more hair with the change of season..hot to cold...so don't panic yet, this may be just that.

If your weight has been stabilized for several months the current, new hair loss would not be tied to weight loss. IT could be tied to a vitamin deficiency.

If you are concerned, see your doctor or a dermatologist.

I'm still going with the weather but if you say you live in Florida-than I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesr View Post
Hi! I have been on Medi since May and have reached my goal! 44 pounds lost to date. I have been maintaining a few months now. yay!

Just the past couple of weeks my hair has been coming out like crazy! I can't really tell just by looking at it, but it is freaking me out. I would think you can tell if this continues for much longer!

Has anyone else experienced this? I have been reading that rapid weight loss or any diet changes can cause this problem and my hair dresser said the same thing. Will this eventually stop? I would post this on the main thread, but I really don't have time to go through many many postings just for a quick answer.

Help! I wan't to keep my hair!
fit2b55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I am pretty sure it isn't the weather. I did some research and read many posts about this happening. It seems it happens 2 or 3 months after a lot of weight has been lost. This would be about right. I am in maintenance now so hopefully it will stop soon.

It seems to be a pretty common thing. I am just upset clinics don't tell you this stuff! Hopefully it will pass soon. I got biotin and omega 3 which are supposed to help hair. I pray it does! It is scary!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 38:5'5 256.6/228.4/125
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 12/29/09 RI 12/10/10 RII 06/01/11 RIII10/08/12
Hello,
I notice you started a thread on hair loss and I was wondering if you're still experiencing it.
I've been on MWL since Jan and I've lost 40 lb but in the past month I've notice the hair loss and it's only gotten worse. I'm so concern that I'm at the point of taking a break. I've made an appointment to talk to the doctor at my clinic.
Please let me know what you've done and if you've seen any change.
Thank you
Determined Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherliquidair
Stats: 270/247/150
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 04-21-10
Biotin takes 6 weeks to start to see results. I take 1000mg 3x day to prevent hair loss. My mom started to lose her hair on the plan, so counselor told me to take them too. She said that and the Omeg 3 will help...
cherliquidair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GirlInJersey
Stats: 291.2/207.0/180(for now)
WOE: Medi WeightLoss
Start Date: March 9, 2010
Results?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone taking the Biotin is seeing any results yet? I'm really freaking out about my hair loss. I only started the Biotin this week. I cry every morning when I wash my hair and brush it after. Then every time I even touch my hair, I come away with at least one hair in my hand. It really is devistating. I go back and forth between emotions...sometimes I feel like it's a small price to pay and others I feel like I need to stop the diet.

Also, how bad does the hair loss get? Will I end up with bald spots? Will it fall out completely? Or will it slow down at some point? I'm really concerned, but my Dr. and the clinic told me that after I level out my weight loss it should come back. No guarantee though.

Any advice or reassuring words are really appreciated.

Thanks...
Week 1: -16, Week 2: -6.2, Week 3: -6.2, Week 4: -3. Week 5: -3.4, Week 6: -4.8, Week 7: -3.4, Week 8: -4.8, Week 9: -3.6, Week 10: -0.8, Week 11: -6.8, Week 12: -1.8, Week 13: -6.0, Week 14: -2, Week 15: -0.8, Week 16: -6.2, Week 17: vacation - no weigh-in, Week 18: -2.6, Week 19: -1.6, Week 20: -1.2, Week 21: -3.4, Week 22: -0.4, Week 23: +0.8
-----------------
Total: -84.2
GirlInJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
Start Date: 4/26/2010
i might need to look into that. I did a japanese hair retexturizing on my hair and its not in the best state to begin with (worth it for the straight locks). I take Omega 3. Do i need to start the biotin as a preemptive measure?
Ortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortal View Post
Do i need to start the biotin as a preemptive measure?
I don't think the Biotin would hurt even if you aren't losing hair. Mine really started coming out after about 3 months.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlInJersey View Post
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone taking the Biotin is seeing any results yet? I'm really freaking out about my hair loss. I only started the Biotin this week. I cry every morning when I wash my hair and brush it after. Then every time I even touch my hair, I come away with at least one hair in my hand. It really is devistating. I go back and forth between emotions...sometimes I feel like it's a small price to pay and others I feel like I need to stop the diet.

Also, how bad does the hair loss get? Will I end up with bald spots? Will it fall out completely? Or will it slow down at some point? I'm really concerned, but my Dr. and the clinic told me that after I level out my weight loss it should come back. No guarantee though.

Any advice or reassuring words are really appreciated.

Thanks...

I see that you are in NJ - we must be neighbors! I am in Staten Island. You had a great weight loss given that you started in March, keep it going! I did good too - started in January 2010 and lost 78 lb. I did not notice a huge hair loss yet, but reading these posts - may be I should go with Omega 3. Strangely, at the clinic they never offered it to me. Also in all the weeks you were losing all this weight, was it always fat loss or was there a muscle loss?

This past week I lost no fat and 3 lb of muscles, which worried me. Just wondering if that happens sometimes or is it a really bad thing.
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KadyC
Stats: 215/184/130
WOE: medi
Start Date: May 28
Jersey Girl, I can't answer the question about what to take, but I can tell you that once you get your "vitamins" in order and weight stabilizes, it will grow back. I lost 150 pounds with a bypass, and because I wasn't getting nutrients, my beautiful thick hair became VERY thin! But once i quit losing and took vitamins, my hair is back to it's full thickness (i even have to have it thinned out by stylist every other month). But, I would make sure you are getting all of the vitamins and such that you need!
KadyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadyC View Post
Jersey Girl, I can't answer the question about what to take, but I can tell you that once you get your "vitamins" in order and weight stabilizes, it will grow back. I lost 150 pounds with a bypass, and because I wasn't getting nutrients, my beautiful thick hair became VERY thin! But once i quit losing and took vitamins, my hair is back to it's full thickness (i even have to have it thinned out by stylist every other month). But, I would make sure you are getting all of the vitamins and such that you need!
I'm SO glad your hair grew back! That makes me feel so much better! It's so scary! I guess it's good that I've always had thick hair, or it could have been worse. How bad did yours get? Did you just have thin hair? Or bald spots? Right now, mine is just thin...but it makes me sick to look at it.

I have had very good loss, so if this is my only problem, I guess I should feel lucky. Congrats on the 150 loss! That is amazing.

Thank you all for the comments on this. Encouragement always makes it feel better.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Oh and I do take all of the vitamins. Multi, Omega, Calcium, and now Biotin. So I don't think it's the lack of vitamins.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

biotin

Quote:
Oh and I do take all of the vitamins. Multi, Omega, Calcium, and now Biotin. So I don't think it's the lack of vitamins.
Jersey Girl, I started losing hair too - big time. This is my 5th month on Medi. I researched biotin for the amount that I need to take and everywhere people are saying you have to take it with zinc, otherwise you may start getting acne. How much do you take and what do you take it with?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: With Gratitude
Stats: Start: 188 / 180.0 / 120 / Goal dress size: 4-6
WOE: MediWeightLoss Clinics
Start Date: 6/9/10
Have you reduced your protein intake? If so, since this is a common symptom of fast weight loss, I wonder if at some point the body has a problem digesting meat proteins OR if an underlying thyroid imbalance develops? Wish we could take a vote of those who lost weight...how much / how fast and find out what % of us lose hair after losing weight. I have read that it does come back after a few months but how bad does it have to get before it starts coming back??
With Gratitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by With Gratitude View Post
Have you reduced your protein intake? If so, since this is a common symptom of fast weight loss, I wonder if at some point the body has a problem digesting meat proteins OR if an underlying thyroid imbalance develops? Wish we could take a vote of those who lost weight...how much / how fast and find out what % of us lose hair after losing weight. I have read that it does come back after a few months but how bad does it have to get before it starts coming back??
I am eating the same amount of protein as in previous 4 months. Yes, that would be an interesting study but I don't think we will be able to get enough people to make it statistically significant. Anyway, I just got Omega 3, will see if it helps.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:52 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
Start Date: 4/26/2010
Im going to start the biotin... with the things I do to my hair ... any particular brands you guys recommend?
Ortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

I've been on the Biotin for 2 weeks now. The brand I take is Nature's something or other. I got it in ShopRite. The bottle says to take 1-5 pills a day. I took 3 a day for the first week and now I'm taking 4 a day. I haven't seen any change. I don't really see any acne, but I have heard other people say they broke out from it. I'm really just at a loss still...I know it is supposed to come back, but as was said earlier...how far does it have to go?

My scalp got a nice sunburn this weekend and that made me even more nervous. It's thin enough to burn through. Guess I need to start wearing hats. Washing it is the worst. Really makes you see how much comes out at one time.

I haven't changed my protein levels at all. I've been doing the same since early March when I started.

I think if I wasn't having so much success with this, I would probably stop. That's all that's keeping me going right now.

But as someone at my clinic said, we're our own worst critics. I know I can see it more than anyone else but it's all I can think about.

If anyone has any other suggestions about the hair loss thing, please share!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I started to notice the hair loss in April and because of it, I stopped Medi back in May. It's been almost 3 months and I'm still experiencing a lot of hair loss. My hair was so thick that I was only able to wrap a band once but now can wrap it around 4 times. I try not to stress myself about it but I can't help but to notice all the hair strands on my bed, sofa and around the house when I sweep. I HATE to wash my hair because that's when the most comes out. I've been taking Biotin, Calcium, Multi-Vitamin, Omega 3, Vitamin D and Zinc and I've yet to see an improvement. My doctor did complete blood work and my thyroid and everything else came back normal.
Don't get me wrong I'm happy I've lost over 40lbs but I still can't helpbut freak out about the hair loss
Since I've been off Medi I haven't gained weight but actually lost 5lbs and I keep hitting the gym. I do however want to lose some more but I'm so afraid I will go completely bold!

Has anyone who experienced the hair lost seen a difference after sometime and if so how long after?
Mini goal #1: 175 by 7/31/11

Old 08-04-2010, 05:42 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined Gemini View Post
I started to notice the hair loss in April and because of it, I stopped Medi back in May. It's been almost 3 months and I'm still experiencing a lot of hair loss. My hair was so thick that I was only able to wrap a band once but now can wrap it around 4 times. I try not to stress myself about it but I can't help but to notice all the hair strands on my bed, sofa and around the house when I sweep. I HATE to wash my hair because that's when the most comes out. I've been taking Biotin, Calcium, Multi-Vitamin, Omega 3, Vitamin D and Zinc and I've yet to see an improvement. My doctor did complete blood work and my thyroid and everything else came back normal.
Don't get me wrong I'm happy I've lost over 40lbs but I still can't helpbut freak out about the hair loss
Since I've been off Medi I haven't gained weight but actually lost 5lbs and I keep hitting the gym. I do however want to lose some more but I'm so afraid I will go completely bold!

Has anyone who experienced the hair lost seen a difference after sometime and if so how long after?
Well my hair loss has still continued, although I'm still going strong in Medi. I don't have any bald spots, and my Dr. doesn't think it will happen, but I know 100% how you feel. It's really depressing. I hate washing my hair as well, and I find my hair all over the place! I have started using some better shampoos (not the hair growth one's or anything) but I feel that helps. It makes my hair smoother so when I brush it or even run my fingers through it there aren't as many knots so it doesn't pull as much. When my hair is wet, all I see is how thin it is, but when it's dry, honestly no one can tell. I had really thick hair before too, and I think that's a good thing. You'd be suprised at how many people have naturally thin hair that you've never even noticed!

I would talk to your Dr. but I don't think you'll go completely bald, (at least that's what they told me), even if you go back on Medi.

Good luck! And just know you're not alone!!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the support

I have my good and bad days and today is one of those really bad days Oh I'm trying, trying to be very patient but its so depressing. At the same time I want to get to my goal weight.

Quote:
Well my hair loss has still continued, although I'm still going strong in Medi. I don't have any bald spots, and my Dr. doesn't think it will happen, but I know 100% how you feel. It's really depressing. I hate washing my hair as well, and I find my hair all over the place! I have started using some better shampoos (not the hair growth one's or anything) but I feel that helps. It makes my hair smoother so when I brush it or even run my fingers through it there aren't as many knots so it doesn't pull as much. When my hair is wet, all I see is how thin it is, but when it's dry, honestly no one can tell. I had really thick hair before too, and I think that's a good thing. You'd be suprised at how many people have naturally thin hair that you've never even noticed!

I would talk to your Dr. but I don't think you'll go completely bald, (at least that's what they told me), even if you go back on Medi.

Good luck! And just know you're not alone!!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gertsmom
Stats: 165/145/130
Start Date: June 2010
I'm suffering from all of the above as well, 2 months into Medi. I love the program, but am getting really nervous! How is everyone else doing? Anyone have any answers? My clinic just said make sure you are eating all your protein and taking omegas. I want more direction-- how long will this last? Is it going to become visible soon-yikes!

GM
gertsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
I started noticing hair loss about 3 weeks ago. I was taking the Omega 3, three times a day from the beginning, but now I've added Biotin, and a B complex as well. I take the vitamin supplied by the center once a day, but when I read the ingredients, it didn't seem to have as much of some as other multi vitamins I've taken.

Today when I showered it seemed like there was less hair in the drain, so maybe it's slowing down
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: momofjel
Stats: 230/182/160 and 5'7"
Start Date: July 6, 2010
I noticed hair loss about three weeks ago. I started the Biotin, but after over two weeks I was still losing a lot of hair. The clinic checked my thyroid, but it was not a problem. So today they did a Calorimeter test on me. It seems that I have a very high resting metabolism, and I was starving myself. That is why I am losing hair, and why I have only lost about a pound a week for the last two months. Just a thought for anyone else having this problem. Claire
momofjel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
While I'm still losing what seems to me to be more hair than I lost pre-medi, I'm positive the hairloss is MUCH LESS than it was back when I added my previous post! I'm reading the book the Diet Cure and had already added Vit D3 to my diet......I'm feeling so much better. I don't know yet if this book will address hairloss but it may address a high metabolism. You might want to see if your local library has it, and look through it
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: momofjel
Stats: 230/182/160 and 5'7"
Start Date: July 6, 2010
Thanks Mary. I will look for that book tomorrow, and just for good measure I will add the Vit D3. I actually feel great. Not the least bit tired, etc. Just worried about going bald before the family gets a chance to take the Christmas pictures, pictures I look forward to being in, if I'm not bald.
momofjel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chocolatefan
Stats: 202/162/160
Start Date: February 2011
Wow...This is distressing to say the least!!! Hair loss is one of the major reasons I would never consider lap-band surgery (because when I looked into that, hair loss was a significant problem). I also knew a woman who had lap-band surgery and was pretty much bald. Since I was already experiencing some thinning, I was too scared to go that route.

So I opted for a non-surgical approach, but to see that this is STILL a problem is not encouraging at all! I'm only 6 weeks in and haven't noticed any loss. I take vitamins and an extra Vitamin D3. I haven't done the Biotin religiously or Omega 3s, but I guess I really should!

But I guess I'm also wondering: What is the CAUSE of this?? It can't just be thyroid issues or even hereditary (since some of you have enjoyed really thick hair in the past and have only experienced this loss since staring Medi.) So, what's the deal? What are we NOT getting in our diet that we clearly NEED??? What is the clinic/this program NOT telling us??? Sorry to be so skeptical, but this is serious, and while not a scientific study, these anecdotal episodes are indeed evidence of a serious, potentially permanent side effect. I'm worried.
chocolatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
I started noticing hair loss about 3 weeks ago. I was taking the Omega 3, three times a day from the beginning, but now I've added Biotin, and a B complex as well. I take the vitamin supplied by the center once a day, but when I read the ingredients, it didn't seem to have as much of some as other multi vitamins I've taken.

Today when I showered it seemed like there was less hair in the drain, so maybe it's slowing down
Mary, how much Biotin are you taking and did it help with hair loss. Biotin is also supposed to help with nails to make them strong.