Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
What is the medi weight loss plan?

I read the sticky on tips but was wanting to know if there is a specifric plan to follow. Maybe I haven't read far enough but I can't seem to find an outlined foodplan.

Thanks.
DENMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: McBoo
Stats: 216/140/140 Now on Maintainance
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinics
Start Date: June 17, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENMW View Post
I read the sticky on tips but was wanting to know if there is a specifric plan to follow. Maybe I haven't read far enough but I can't seem to find an outlined foodplan.

Thanks.
Medi-Weightloss Clinics® - Physician-supervised weight loss clinics

McBoo
McBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvlonghorns
Stats: 5'6"/162/127.5/128-Maintenance since 10/8/09
WOE: MEDI-Weightloss
Start Date: July 9, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENMW View Post

Thanks.
MEDI is a physician prescribed and monitored program. Before starting MEDI, a local MEDI clinic takes blood tests, EKGs and more to determine our health status and whether we are healthy enough to undertake the diet. The plan is specific only in that we follow a lean protein, low-carb, low calorie diet. The number of calories and carbs prescribed will vary depending upon the patient. We are encouraged to eat real, whole foods. This is not a liquid or bar diet. You learn how to eat the right real foods in order to lose weight. This plan works! Our results are typical. Check out the link McBoo provided above. I just can't say enough good things about MEDI!
-Jane

Last edited by luvlonghorns; 09-23-2009 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: sp
luvlonghorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krissakris
WOE: Low-Carb Something of Another...
No offense to Medi Followers, but I was curious about this Medi plan too, and based on my research it seems like an overpriced Protein Sparing Modified Fast. Again, that is just my opinion, but $75/wk for Phen and an initial $200+ dollars seems highly exploitative
krissakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvlonghorns
Stats: 5'6"/162/127.5/128-Maintenance since 10/8/09
WOE: MEDI-Weightloss
Start Date: July 9, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissakris View Post
No offense to Medi Followers, but I was curious about this Medi plan too, and based on my research it seems like an overpriced Protein Sparing Modified Fast. Again, that is just my opinion, but $75/wk for Phen and an initial $200+ dollars seems highly exploitative
No way! How many times had you had a full lab workup (blood, urine, thyroid panels, EKG, etc), along with twice a week Vitamin B-12/amino acid injections, a Vitamin B1-B-6 injection, your month's supply of multi-vitamin, calcium, fat burner and a week's supply of prescription medication all included for for $268?
My last time was at my MEDI clinic on 7/9/09.
In addition, after that first week, I pay $70 per week and get twice weekly b12/amino acid injections, my prescription medication, weekly check-ups for blood pressure, pulse, weight, fat%, etc and counseling. My clinic does not dispense medication, but rather provides a prescription and pays for that prescription at my local CVS. When I run out of the multi-vitamin, it is again provided to me for no additional fee.
We are encouraged to eat real, whole foods consisting of lean protein and limited amounts of vegetables and fruits which are low in carbs and calories. We are not required or encouraged to buy or use protein shakes or bars. In fact, should we choose to use them for convenience, they are limited in quantity in our diet.
I have done Diet Center, Atkins, and other plans. This plan is by far the healthiest and most economical I have ever undertaken. It is also the most economical because it works and it works quickly. I will be at maintenance sooner than I would be on another plan, thereby spending less time and money on this program than any other I have ever done in the past.
Think what you will, but our results are typical, spectacular and they speak for themselves. This plan works. It may not be the one for you - but it sure is the one for me and for many others of us who are losing weight and kindly smiling at those who would bash our plan when they know not much about it!
MEDI works!
(Also, since I eat only real food now, I actually save money on my grocery bill. No more money wasted on processed crud that shouldn't be going into my body.)

Last edited by luvlonghorns; 09-23-2009 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: sp
luvlonghorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krissakris
WOE: Low-Carb Something of Another...
Luv,

I'm not knocking the diet or the success of its followers, we're all in the same struggle together we're all just doing what works for us. Granted, for you the price may not be an issue, but for what they're supposedly 'giving' I feel like its a rip off. Minus the counseling you can get B12/multivitamins/calcium/phen (or whatever FDA/Dr. approved) appetite suppressant you're getting for around $70 a month. I am not a medical professional so I have no idea what the worth is or if its even necessary for all those testings, but that's besides the point. When I started dieting (around the same time as you) I considered Medi, but they don't have any locations by me. Fortunately, I had enough time to do my research and figure out what was so good about this program that these people were successful. What I found was that it seems that it's a high protein/low carb/low fat diet/low cal diet repackaged + the price is marked up.
krissakris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:02 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hudiman
Stats: 5'2" /155/ now at goal 125
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinc
Start Date: April 23, 2009
I personally don't think you can put a price tag on your health. Everyone is different, and different plans work for different people. I have tried South Beach, WW, and others, this has been the only program that has worked for me. Checking in weekly with a clinician helps, keeps me honest and personalized help when there is a problem is not anything you get with other programs. My husband and I were going out to dinner 2-4 times a week, I would have a drink or two each time, I have stopped going out that often and just not drinking the alcohol alone pays for the program.
Medi works and works well, 3 months 30 lbs. and now on maintenance (which I think has always been the hardest) until Medi. We now have the tools and help from the clinic to stay there. I have been successful for 2 months on maintenance. For me it has been well worth being very very healthy and tiny with loads more energy.
hudiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crobyninc
Stats: 335/243/180
WOE: Low carb and watching calories
Start Date: March 9 2009
Krissakris

You are right, it is expensive. But it works for those of us who are committed to it. The debate here is really a moot point since we are willingly paying and following the plan. Medi is not for you.

Good luck with your weight loss plan, it is a huge struggle and not an easy path. You may want to get Dr Atkins books, they are very helpful in trying to decide where you need to be in your weight loss way of life. Jillian Michaels has 2 great books that I have read and have found very helpful in just adjusting exercise and food to make my older body work better.

Again good luck
Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Luv,

I'm not knocking the diet or the success of its followers, we're all in the same struggle together we're all just doing what works for us. Granted, for you the price may not be an issue, but for what they're supposedly 'giving' I feel like its a rip off. Minus the counseling you can get B12/multivitamins/calcium/phen (or whatever FDA/Dr. approved) appetite suppressant you're getting for around $70 a month. I am not a medical professional so I have no idea what the worth is or if its even necessary for all those testings, but that's besides the point. When I started dieting (around the same time as you) I considered Medi, but they don't have any locations by me. Fortunately, I had enough time to do my research and figure out what was so good about this program that these people were successful. What I found was that it seems that it's a high protein/low carb/low fat diet/low cal diet repackaged + the price is marked up.
Hi Kris,

I have a friend who opted for lap band surgery for a wopping $16,000. He initially lost weight, but a few months later put it all back on. After seeing my success (62 pounds in 7 months and on maintenance for a total cost of $2400) he signed up for Medi the next day. He has since lost 50+ pounds in about 3-4 months. Says it is the easiest plan (and I agree) that he has ever done. I have 3 other friends on this program as well who have lost 40+ pounds each.

I have tried WW, Nutisystems, Jenny Craig, and more (all of which advertise "results not typical". None of them worked for me, and in fact caused me to gain more in the long run due to yo-yoing. Medi is allowed to advertise "results typical" because of their success.

As far as the costs go, much of this is off balanced because I do not eat out as much, and I am not on all the medications I used to be on. I do understand and sympathize with your concern. It is expensive, but because it works I was willing to spend the money. It was a personal choice.

I realize this program is not for everyone. Different bodies respond to different weightloss solutions. It sounds like you have the gyst of the program, very low carbs, low calorie, low fat, high protein. There have been posters who have successfully followed a similar program on their own due to no clinic nearby and lack of funds. I wish you lots of luck in your weightloss journey.

Last edited by SDC2; 09-24-2009 at 10:22 AM..
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
My take on it is this. Yes, it is expensive. Yes, there are ways to do this without the clinic. But you know what? If I could have lost the weight on my own, without accountability and purchasing this stuff on the internet or whatever, I would not have been at 280+ pounds. For me, the cost is a huge motivating factor because it is a sacrifice that my family is making for my overall health. If I could do it on my own, I would have. I needed this program, the support, and the accountability to make this happen.

I appreciate you sharing your opinion. Please consider that words like "overpriced" and "repackaged" can come off as pretty rude and judgemental. If it's too pricey for your budget and you have found another plan that works for you, then awesome! No need to make negative comments to those of us who have found success with this WOE.

Last edited by Mommy-2-girls; 09-24-2009 at 01:01 PM..
Mommy-2-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Quote:
Luv,

~krissakris~I agree with those who have posted prior to myself. Yes, this program costs significant $$$, and it is not the easiest plan out there. The fact remains that it works. All of us on the plan have worked our way through innumerable other programs, none of them successful for us. THIS program works for us because we accept the 100% major lifestyle change, accept the program guidelines, accept the accountability and responsibility for our own success, and appreciate the guidance and counseling provided by our individual clinics. We have changed our attitude about food, and we have much greater knowledge of our bodies and how they work for us. We have regained our health, we have been able to discontinue medications, we have been able to change our lives for the better.

Yes, it is expensive. Exactly what is your health worth? You have made some rather rude and unnecessarily unkind statements about the program. And you are certainly entitled to your opinion. In my own particular case, my personal physician recommended the program to me. He gets nothing from recommending it to me other than a patient who now has normal cholesterol levels, normal triglyceride levels, a normal BMI and Body Fat percentage, and a toned, fit, healthy body. When I think of all the dollars that have been spent on other programs, I know for a fact that I would do Medi again, make the same decision I made last December. I have absolutely no regrets.

And finally, this is most definitely not the program for you. I hope that you find a program that works for you and with which you are successful.

One last item, we do not consider this a "diet". We consider a Way of Eating, a program that works for us.

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kwanat
Stats: 210/175-180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: September 16, 2009-restart July 2011
Yes, Medi start-up cost is a little expensive; but I thought to myself. One of my Dooney&Burke purses or a couple pairs of shoes. Which one is more benefical to my family. My health that's what. Yeah, you might be able to lose the weight on your own; but the nutritional counseling and support of the ladies at the clinic is priceless. I am one day 11 and I have lost over 15lbs. I tried it on my way one with a personal training and just exercise and nothing changed. The results have achieved with Medi in the last 11 days have been well worth the $70.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AtTheBeach
Stats: 5' 4' 183.6/162.2/125
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 9/15/09
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I happen to agree that it's really overpriced. And, I don't think anyone here should get defensive about it unless you own a Clinic! LOL! It doesn't take away from the fact that it works.

I'm still going, though, because I need to be held accountable. But, let's face it - I can go to my own doctor ($10 co-pay) and get a script for PhenD for a month, not a week ($5 co-pay) and a weekly shot. It would cost WAYYYY less.

When I went for my first weigh-in last Tuesday, the woman at the counter asked me if I wanted to try their protein bars. I had a bite and they were pretty good so I bought a box. Well, they were $14 for a box of 7!! That is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. I like them and I can afford them, so I'll probably will buy them again. But is that a realistic price? I found some comparable ones at Wal-Mart for under $5.

There are PLENTY of ways to lose weight and not everyone will agree on the BEST way. It's a personal decision and yes, the cost can be a major factor to someone that can't afford it. But there are other options. About 10 years ago, my husband bought the Adkins book, followed it to a T, and lost 50 pounds (and kept them off). Only cost him the price of the book. I wish I was that disciplined, but I'm not. So, I chose Medi.
AtTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Location: I live in Gastonia, NC about 20 miles outside of Charlotte, NC
Gallery: Nattyho
Stats: 199.5/195.5/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: September 21, 2009
Posted in the wrong place, not sure how to delete. Sorry!

Last edited by Nattyho; 09-27-2009 at 08:02 AM..
Nattyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TriMom
Stats: 280.4/198.5/180
Start Date: July 21st, 2009
For me, the COUNSELING has made a world of difference! My team assesses my numbers on the scale and TELL me how to change my eating in the upcoming week to maximize success. Every week, I have a loss and they are super proud of me. I tell them...."Umm, you know my body better than I do and I'm just doing every single thing you tell me"! The success I have had....well, they should be just as proud of themselves for getting me this far. I am a nurse and even though I have a grasp on health issues, they really are the experts in this field. I think the cost is a value compared to what I have received in return.

100 pounds is a lot of weight to lose. It is scary to think about doing this on your own! They helped me conquer my fears, have raised my confidence, provide strategies on how to live this way for the rest of my life. Oh, and I've made awesome friends and completed a triathlon (all that in 9 weeks).

Yes, I guess it is a moot point to defend MWL . The only thing in my life that I have not been able to succeed in is weight loss. I was totally skeptical doing the research about the program (ask my clinic! I had a million questions and I know I drilled them). It seemed "Too good to be true", but I had hit a wall, I had a friend who lost a lot of weight there held my hand, and my husband was willing to change his way of eating to support me.

MWL is not too good to be true!

"Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom."
- Marilyn Ferguson
TriMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 4/26/2010
I tried doing weight watchers which was cheap, and never had results like these. could i probably do it on my own now? maybe. but I dont want to mess with something that isnt broken. For me this has worked like no free/cheap program has, and Im happy to pay for that.
Ortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
All I know is it's the best $1500 (to date) that I have ever spent and I would GLADLY pay it again for these results and the knowlege that I have abtained.
lins is offline   Reply With Quote