Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
*.*Avoiding Holiday Weight Gain,Part 1*.*

If your eating strategy for the holidays is to make smart choices (rather than just thinking that you are depriving yourself) chances are you will avoid seasonal weight gain and keep yourself on plan. Try these healthy eating tips this holiday season:

Choose fiber-rich fruits and vegetables for appetizers, eat high-calorie foods sparingly, and avoid dishes high in saturated fat and sodium.

Be aware of what you eat.

To help prevent overindulging - and the stomachache, bloating and other gastrointestinal discomfort that can come with it - be mindful when you are eating, and stop when you are feeling full.

Don't starve yourself all day to justify eating more at dinner. Eating a satisfying breakfast can ward off the temptation to overindulge later in the day.

Savor your foods. Choose foods that you really love to eat, chew each bite slowly, and savor all the flavors and aroma. Eating slowly not only allows you to enjoy and be thankful for your food, but helps prevent overeating: it takes 20 minutes for the stomach to signal the brain that you're full.

Get up from the table when you're done, in order to avoid nibbling.

Once your meal is over, take a walk to help digest your food and think about what a wonderful experience you just had - and the company and conversations that contributed to making it memorable and enjoyable.
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

*.*Avoiding Holiday Weight Gain, Part 2*.*

Part 1 discussed some nutritional tactics to help prevent holiday weight gain; Part 2 offers more holiday nutrition information.

The holiday season seems to revolve around friends, family and food - and while all three are wonderful, it's easy to overindulge in the latter. Help make this season a healthful one, with these four healthy eating tips:

Plan your day
When you wake, think about all the gatherings and festivities you may be attending, and plan your eating around your functions. Resolve to eat healthfully and in moderation throughout the day, focusing on fresh, whole foods that are high in fiber and low in fat and calories. This will help to balance out any rich, high-calorie foods you may be served later.

Be aware of the nutritional value of different foods
A plate with some lean protein, steamed broccoli, and a scoop of mashed potatoes is a relatively healthy option. But pouring gravy over the whole plate turns it into a high-fat, high-calorie meal.

Watch your alcohol comsumption
Alcohol itself has calories, and mixing it with soda or juice adds even more. Limit these and other sweet drinks such as eggnog, and stick to a glass of wine or two (or volunteer to be the designated driver and enjoy sparkling water throughout the evening) to help minimize calories.

Portion out unhealthy foods
Limit fried or creamy appetizers, sauces, high-calorie side dishes, and desserts, and instead focus on whole foods, lean meats, and vegetables and fruits.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Justin1
Stats: 324.5/197/190
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 4/15/09
omg eggnog
Justin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Justin1
Stats: 324.5/197/190
Start Date: 4/15/09
those are some great tips DR...thanks for sharing
Justin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:07 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tracy_d
Stats: 5'7'' 191.5/150.5/150 now on maintenance
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: June 8, 2009
How about any medi friendly versions of stuffing (for maintainers only) or sweet potato casserole? Anyone have any to put on the recipe thread??
tracy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flmaiden77
Stats: 352/246/190
WOE: Medi-Weightloss Clinics in winter Park
Start Date: Oct 2009
Most chinese places will be happy to do just Steam brocoli, no sauces.. and steam chicken.. again NO sauce. I got home, put just a kiss of butter add pepper to the dish and Voila! dinner.
Also.. Mcdonalds Grilled chicken breast.. ONLY pay for the chicken. Dont pay for a sandwhich you arent going to eat. I pay 1.25-1.50 per chicken breast.. they are delicious.

Bob Evans.. Grilled Hamburger Patty and a side of cottage Cheese. $2.50
flmaiden77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

I guess my big question is why are people on plan going to fast food places in the first place? Guess maybe I just do not understand the fascination with fast food. It may be fast but it is not good for you, regardless of how it is ordered. JMHO and certainly not the majority opinion.

Jo
Old 11-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
Sometimes fast food is just real life. With my daughters, we love to have playdates out with friends and Chick Fil A is a common place that kids enjoy. That's pretty much the only "fast food" I like these days. I have not had take-out chinese since Medi (but I love greasy chinese food!). My kids and husband like McDonalds but I find the "Medi friendly" options way too gross to actually eat, so if they want that I just eat something else. Not that I can't eat there, but I'm picky.

I think it's just an option for busy lives, honestly. Not an every day thing but there are days when you're out and about and need to eat. Sometimes I can pack a protein bar but with 2 kids under 3, I'm already carting enough crap around to fill an SUV and I don't have the time or energy to make a boxed lunch.

And sometimes, I'm sick of cooking at home and I look forward to getting out of the house! Since I'm home with the kids, even getting out to the mall is a treat. It's not a fascination with fast food, it's just a symptom of busy life.

Mommy to THREE sweeties, ages 4(g), 3(g), and 8 months(b)!

Lost 100 pounds on Medi in 2009! Gained it back during bedrest for a high-risk pregnancy Restart: January 2012!!

Week 1: -12.8 pounds
Month 1: -20.6 pounds
Month 2: -16.8 pounds
Mommy-2-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
Hey guys, found a few new options for eating out even though I'm re-doing week 1 right now.

Sonny's BBQ: A dinner portion of smoked turkey has 116 calories. I was able to order the dinner and give the sides to my husband. If I was on Week 2 or beyond, they offer a salad bar with Smoked Turkey dinner portion and no garlic bread. One caveat.. bring your own sauce with you if that's a temptation! I don't mind the turkey plain, but their BBQ sauces are a minefield. Also, I didn't notice any acceptable dressings on the salad bar, so again, you may want to bring your own dressing.

Applebees: They offer a "side" of grilled shrimp for $4.99. I asked for no sauce and little oil and it was nice! I got 10 shrimp on 2 kebabs. Livestrong.com says this is about 120 calories. I felt like this was a good choice for week 1 (we were out with family for lunch).
Mommy-2-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

I have some new info on Applebee's...and it is actually good news for a change...and some news about Outback as well. Just have to go back and get it for you all.

Jo
Old 01-24-2010, 05:10 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tracy_d
Stats: 5'7'' 191.5/150.5/150 now on maintenance
Start Date: June 8, 2009
chilis grilled salmon with their FFhoney mustard dressing!! OMG so good!! Low in sodium and calories too.
tracy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Bumping this one up for the upcoming holiday season!

Jo
Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: afunfish
Stats: 203/158/150 5"8
WOE: Medi - Acute Phase
Thank you Jo,

I was at a Dinner function for work this Wed. and it was Buffet style, and let me tell you basically everything was covered in bread and was pasta. I did manage to get some slices of roast beef and had the salad. It was hard not to want and take A LIL of the ziti and stuffed shells, but I knew I would be more proud of myself for making the right choice.

Do not let those holiday parties sway you, we can all make the right choices that will be good for us in the end. Happy Weekend to All, especially those dining out.

O also went to an Italian place last night and had calamari fresh (asked them not to fry) with not even a teaspoon on evoo. And then asked for grilled chicken and veggies, not cooked in oil or anything. I bring my own dressings with me to add. So I also want to say do not be afraid to ask for what you want and can have, no matter what stage you are at on Medi
afunfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

I put a whole lot of good Thanksgiving recipes in the Recipe threads last year. Take a peek at those for ideas for goodies to take to potlucks and such this time of year.

Jo
Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shakespeare72
Stats: 328/274/228
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 23, 2013
I love going to Red Lobster. In the past, the Cheddar Bay biscuits were my reason for going. Now, I don't even give them a second glance. Instead, I order the Alaskan King Crab. It's expensive but my wife and I share. Before, I never would have spent that much money for myself.

That really is the nice thing about eating this way. I have discovered that much of the food I can eat now is of much higher quality than what I used to accept when I was eating to stuff myself. A nice consequence is that when my wife and I share the crab legs we end up spending less than we used to when we both ordered our own meals.
Shakespeare72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:16 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakespeare72 View Post
I love going to Red Lobster. In the past, the Cheddar Bay biscuits were my reason for going. Now, I don't even give them a second glance. Instead, I order the Alaskan King Crab. It's expensive but my wife and I share. Before, I never would have spent that much money for myself.

That really is the nice thing about eating this way. I have discovered that much of the food I can eat now is of much higher quality than what I used to accept when I was eating to stuff myself. A nice consequence is that when my wife and I share the crab legs we end up spending less than we used to when we both ordered our own meals.
good idea! The Ads on TV showing shrimp look wonderful.......I'm not even interested in the breaded shrimp (or breaded anything) anymore. I agree the quality of food we're eating has really improved......no need to add all the "fillers"!
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diertac
Stats: 196.6/167.2/155
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 09/21/10
Thanks for the bump on this! I think this is a really great thread.

I try to go to steakhouses, or places that will have a good steak salad. I ask them to leave off things that have carbs and can't be easily picked out (shredded carrots, etc.) and then I pick off the easily removed carbs (croutons - give them to my DH he loves them). Dressing on the side of course, and usually Bleu Cheese because it has the least sugar in my experience.

Or I just get a petite steak and steamed vegetables. Again, avoiding the carby veggies.

I often find when eating out that for me, it's the "lesser of the evils" not staying 100% true to Medi. For the first 2 months when weight loss was urgent for me, I just didn't go to restaurants at all. Now my husband wants to go out about once a week. I'm 15 lbs from what I think will end up being my goal (135-ish was the original scale number I chose, but as I get in the 160's and I'm a size 8 in some pants, I'm thinking that 6 is as small as I want to go) so when it comes to eating out, I'm not too hard on myself.

So, for Chick-Fil-A, I'd probably do something like what the original poster did. I have gone to Chili's and had the steak fajitas, minus the tortillas. I know that it's still not Strictly Medi, but the principle of cutting out the refined carbs as much as possible is what I try to follow - and I try to do it infrequently enough that it doesn't totally derail my weight loss.
http://lcmealplans.wordpress.com

Last edited by diertac; 01-04-2011 at 03:33 PM..
diertac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diertac
Stats: 196.6/167.2/155
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 09/21/10
Quote:
I love going to Red Lobster. In the past, the Cheddar Bay biscuits were my reason for going.
Have you tried/heard of Carbquick? I bought a box of it from Netrition about 2 months ago. It's like low-carb Bisquick. I made their Cheddar Bay biscuit recipe twice. It's definitely not Red Lobster - there's a taste that's different - but if you ever have a crazy craving it might do the trick.

Once I got the "biscuit craving" out of the way I haven't really made anything since, but it's nice to have on hand for when that hits again!
diertac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Carbquick is, to the best of my knowledge not an allowable choice in the acute phase. The carbs are quite high per serving. Here is the nutritional data:

Total Calories 90
Calories From Fat 60
Total Fat 6 g 10%
Saturated Fat 1 g 4%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 210 mg 9%
Potassium 0 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g 5%

Dietary Fiber 14 g 55%

Soluble Fiber 0 g 0%

Insoluble Fiber 14 g 14%

Sugars 0 g

The decision is yours to make, but personally, I stayed away from it.

Jo
Old 01-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Have you tried/heard of Carbquick? I bought a box of it from Netrition about 2 months ago. It's like low-carb Bisquick. I made their Cheddar Bay biscuit recipe twice. It's definitely not Red Lobster - there's a taste that's different - but if you ever have a crazy craving it might do the trick.

Once I got the "biscuit craving" out of the way I haven't really made anything since, but it's nice to have on hand for when that hits again!
I have seen the Carbquick but haven't really given it a second thought. I love the Cheddar Bay Biscuits but they aren't a big temptation when I go to Red Lobster. The weightloss has just been too wonderful to risk. However, the doctor at the clinic I go to has told me I should have a cheat meal one day a week--on the same day each week-- to add some extra carbs into my system and jumpstart my metabolism. I haven't been cheating that often, I allow once meal a month, but I suppose I could have a biscuit then if I really needed it.

Truthfully though, I just love the quality of food I "have to" eat now.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stownsend
Stats: 274/173/150
Start Date: 9/30/10
on medi how can you get much of a salad with only one cup of lettus?
stownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stownsend
Stats: 274/173/150
Start Date: 9/30/10
oh my who gets potato or cheese cake??? LOL are we on the same plan?
stownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Bonefish Grill has several GREAT options. DH loves the APPETIZER of seared ahi tuna (as dinner) along with a small salad. He actually gets MORE tuna with the appetizer and doesn't have to deal with the side dishes!
Old 02-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ohanne
Stats: 253/215/150
Start Date: January 2011
Logan's Roadhouse

I am currently a server at Logan's Roadhouse while I finish school, and we DO have a Health Nut menu! My favorite thing to order is the Heath nut grilled chicken(8 ounces, 288 calories) with broccoli and a side salad with romaine and cheese..
With the salad I get the Fat Free Vin which is delicious and only 20 calories, 3 carbs/2 tbsps.
It's an amazing lunch!

This is what's on their website for the entire Hnut menu:

Great eats for those of you who are looking to eat a little on the lighter side. These specially prepared, complete meals, have less than 550 calories
HEALTH NUT GRILLERS
Served with steamed broccoli & Health Nut side salad.
Mesquite Wood-Grilled Salmon
with Lemon-Pepper Seasoning
Sirloin 6-ounce cut
Mesquite Wood-Grilled Chicken
Mesquite Wood-Grilled Tilapia
with Southwest Seasoning
Filet Mignon 6-ounce
Mesquite Wood-Grilled Pork Chop
Grilled Shrimp & Veggie Skewers

HEALTH NUT SALADS & MORE

Health Nut Grilled Chicken Salad
Baked Potato & Health Nut Side Salad
Health Nut Grilled Shrimp & Veggie Salad
Health Nut Grilled Salmon Salad
"Bunless" Roadhouse Burger
with a side of steamed broccoli
Our Health Nut Side Salad is made with Romaine lettuce, tomato & shredded carrots. All Health Nut Salads served with Fat Free Vinaigrette Dressing on the side.
ohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SonoRoo
Stats: 5'1" ~ 187.6/162/115
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: May 20, 2010
I've had Logan's Tilapia and thought it was very good here but I always have to ask them to cook it well along wwith any grilled veggie skewers. They have a tendency to wave them at the fire and call it grilled, which annoys me.
SonoRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I have learned that if you tell your waiter that you are on a very strict diet per doctor's orders and ask if you can have grilled chicken and steamed broccoli with no added butter or seasonings, most restraunts are very willing to help you out, even if it's not on the menu.

I haven't been to a fast food place so I have no suggestions. Actually I have been to a fast food place but I always take my food with me. I keep a bag of almonds in my car at all times so if I am ever caught somewhere I can at least have 1 oz of those so I am not tempted to eat anything else.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jillo
Stats: 247/197/175 5'7"
WOE: MEDI on my own
Start Date: March 2013
Instead of telling the waiter "I'm on a diet" I tell him "I'm a supermodel."
They always laugh AND I get what I asked for.
Jillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillo View Post
Instead of telling the waiter "I'm on a diet" I tell him "I'm a supermodel."
They always laugh AND I get what I asked for.
That's great! I don't think it would work well for a guy but, I do sometimes tell them that I'm very allergic to the rice or whatever carb I don't want -especially if they forget and bring it anyway. I figure it must be true because back when I was eating carbs I was much bigger. I must have been swolen from a reaction...right.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:01 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That's great! I don't think it would work well for a guy but, I do sometimes tell them that I'm very allergic to the rice or whatever carb I don't want -especially if they forget and bring it anyway. I figure it must be true because back when I was eating carbs I was much bigger. I must have been swolen from a reaction...right.
I've told friends that I'm allergic to sugar.....it makes me swell up.......that's NOT a lie! I just sometimes wish I'd INSTANTLY get a HUGE headache, or stomach cramps when I eat sweets, instead of just getting sleepy/lethargic! That would make it much easier to avoid temptation!