Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: QueenCityDiva
Stats: 5'10" 266/245.4/165
WOE: Medi
Start Date: Originally 10/09 Restarted 1/10
oh gosh yes, Jo! This thread has a TON of helpful info! Thanks for the bump!
QueenCityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shanlock
Stats: 5'7" 257/219.4/200 is 2nd mini-goal
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: September 29, 2009
So I just got back from my first long weekend away while on Medi...

I was a little nervous about it, but overall, I think I ended up doing pretty good! I brought some foods with me and ate those for breakfast and lunch. For dinner we dined out, but I feel like I made the best food choices that I could and don't feel like I went off the plan. I also checked every morning and I stayed in ketosis the whole time. The only part that I'm SURE I messed up on was the calories. When I'm at home and preparing everything myself, I know exactly how much of everything I am eating, but when I eat out, I am horrible at estimating sizes and weight and things...I'm proud of myself for choosing the right foods and even though I'm sure I ate more calories than I should have, I never felt overly full. We just got back last night and I go to my weigh in today. It's probably not going to be much, but hopefully I still did okay!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fit2b55
Stats: 218/211/178
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 6/24/09-Maintenance 10/12/09!!: RESTART 5/27/14
From the January post:

First, for the plane or the car, at least 2 protein bars per day of travel and one small bag of peanuts per day. The bars are for EMERGENCY only. Like you get to the airport and can find no MWL friendly options, eat the bar. If they have Starbucks order the egg white, turkey bacon sandwich-ask for a fork, toss the bread and enjoy! It's pretty good!

When I travel for work, my first stop from the airport is a grocery store. I buy enough water and Powerade Zero to meet my daily fluid requirements. Depending on my meal commitments I buy those meals I can eat on my own if I don't have to join others. Sometimes I pick up food to eat BEFORE the business meals.

I have a refrigerator request on all of my hotel chain profiles so 99% of the time I have a fridge.

Kroger has a great low carb yogurt and you can get spoons in the deli.
Lunch meat, cheese, some spicy mustard, already hard boiled eggs, lf cottage cheese, and from produce-the sliced berries or some fruit and the cut up celery or some other medifriendly veggie. Also can do frozen single veggies if you have a fridge with a freezer or will be eating that night. And Hormel Turkey Pepperoni requires no refrigeration until it's opened.

Honestly, the fruit and veggies are kind of an afterthought. I make sure I have enough calories of protein and enough water to meet my daily requirements.

If you MUST eat with people, hit the breakfast bar in the hotel. There is always a medi friendly option...eggs, cottage cheese, canadian bacon, ham, and sausage...not perfect from a fat perspective but focus on getting your protein.

Lunch and dinner-if you don't choose the food and it's served to you-eat just the PROTEIN...skip everything else!! You know food for large groups is loaded with salt, fat, oil etc. Eat the protein and if you need more calories, eat a bar or something you have stored in your fridge.

I got caught without food,due to a tornado, while in Memphis. I bought a bag of peanuts and a Lean Cuisine in the hotel lobby. I ate the peanuts. Cooked the LC, ate the meat and tossed the carby pasta. Ate extra eggs in the morning........you can do this!

I have had cabs drop me at grocery stores, shopped and then taken another cab to the hotel. Inconvenient and a little more costly BUT overall your food costs vs restaurant dining will be less and justifiable...tell them you wanted to work through dinner so you dined in! It's your health and weight! You are in CONTROL of what you eat!

Good luck all you travelers! I'm a road warrior and was able to drop 40 lbs in 12 weeks while travelling! YOU CAN DO IT! El
fit2b55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BAGS32
Stats: 177/150/145
WOE: Medi WeightLoss
Start Date: 1/7/2010
I am very fortunate to be heading to Mexico in a few weeks to escape the cold northeast and celebrate my 25th anniversary......however I am worried about eating/drinking. We are heading to an all inclusive. Advise? Warnings?
Thanks
BAGS32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
Bumping this for recent travelers! Great info!
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alngarcia
Stats: 237.6/161.5/150
WOE: Medi Clinics
Start Date: February 2010
I was super nervous about my 5 day vacation in May to California, but I wound up sticking to the plan and having a huge loss when I got back. I did pack a lot including those awesome 100 Calorie Almond packs that were mentioned. I also took 2 boxes of Atkins bars, a pacakge of the small slim jims, which come in at about 40 calories and 2 carbs each. I also took spray on salad dressing and some Baby Bell Cheese. I wound up hardly eating any of it because I had so many food options. The crazy thing was, I was at Disneyland. I thought a theme park would be a nightmare but I was really impressed with their food options and had some fantastic meals there. My favorite was a Cobb Salad that was maybe the best I have ever had.

So don't panic, if you can find food in a theme park you can find it anywhere. I loved reading everyone's comments though, because this was the hardest thing I had to deal with in Medi so far! I have to admit, I was panicked, but got home happy and am heading out for a few more days next week!
alngarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I go on vacation to Arizona in 2 weeks, but we are having a family reunion at a church camp and are in charge of our own breakfasts and lunches, and we will be going out to eat for dinner. We won't have a kitchen but will have an icechest so I am not worried about it at all. I bought the 16 flavor single serving protein shakes, and will take beef jerky, almonds, and laughing cow cheese for snacks. I will also take adkins bars, and some lunch meat. I know that I will be just fine. Maybe even better off because it's a long way from a town so I won't have the option of grabbing anything else. I'll only have what I take with me.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Just got back from a wonderful vacation and this info really helped me! I packed individual baggies of a soy nut trail mix I found that was low carb, medi protein bars, and packs of almonds. I actually did have small portioned out baggies of vanilla protein powder packed but when I laid it all out, I looked like a druggie so I ditched that idea. lol (I flew so who knows what kind of security commotion that would've caused.)

The most difficult issues come from staying with family who is doing the cooking because you have to worry about offending someone and there's not a menu to choose from. Going out to eat is a cinch! Salads with grilled meats or fish are the best. I even went into an Italian restaurant in the north end of Boston and ordered scrambled eggs and berries. They were fine to cook it for me even though their menu was limited to elaborate and rich dishes.

In Wellness as of 6/4/2010!

Last edited by eptexy; 07-08-2010 at 09:35 AM..
Old 07-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txntv
Stats: 5'5" 169.5/131/140
Start Date: March 25, 2010
Boston

I am taking my first real trip / vacation in years. Seriously. Only places I ever go are local or major cities in my state that I have been to many, many times.

Anyway, I am heading to Boston at the end of August for a few days, and then driving to N.H. for a family event. I decided to leave a few days before the event so I can see someplace new (I've never been to Boston). All meals covered by family in NH, so that's not a concern.

So I wonder if anyone has great restaurant recommendations in Boston. I'm in maintenance; want to make good choices while discovering good food as I never go out to eat at home.

Caveat: I don't eat pork and some seafood (I don't do Catfish, oysters, clams, lobster.)

I've copied all the notes from this thread. Thank you for starting it!
July: -2.5
Beyond: -5
Total loss: 38

Wellness...
txntv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

I just got back from Boston, myself!! What a coincidence! We flew in, spent a couple of days in Boston, drove up the east coast and spent time with family in Maine and then another couple of days in Boston. Honestly, I think the seafood really saved me. If you can do fish of any kind there, do it because it's absolutely wonderful. We ate at Legal Seafood downtown three times. I ate grilled scallops, steamer clams, lobster, and atlantic salmon. All to die for! Hard Rock in Boston makes a wonderful vodka martini with a twist! Ask for Sergei! We also ate in the north end a lot. Anywhere on Hanover will be your best bet for amazing Italian food. Order something that has florentine in the description with marinara and don't make the same mistake I did and not ask if it's deep fried!!! Ack! I couldn't eat it - honestly, it didn't even taste good to me. We ate at Mi Familia and L'Osteria which were both fantastic but again, you can't beat any of the restaurants on Hanover.

If you're interested in splurging, definitely go to Mike's Pastries for a cannoli!!! Best thing I have ever put in my mouth. Take your little box a few doors down for a wonderful espresso to eat with it. I can't remember the name of the place but there's a statue of an old man holding a tray and there's dollar bills pinned to him. I found eating at family's house was much more difficult because you can't exactly request light faire.

When you're in Boston, walk everywhere to burn off the cannoli! lol Have fun - I didn't want to come back to Texas!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptexy View Post
I just got back from Boston, myself!! What a coincidence! We flew in, spent a couple of days in Boston, drove up the east coast and spent time with family in Maine and then another couple of days in Boston. Honestly, I think the seafood really saved me. If you can do fish of any kind there, do it because it's absolutely wonderful. We ate at Legal Seafood downtown three times. I ate grilled scallops, steamer clams, lobster, and atlantic salmon. All to die for! Hard Rock in Boston makes a wonderful vodka martini with a twist! Ask for Sergei! We also ate in the north end a lot. Anywhere on Hanover will be your best bet for amazing Italian food. Order something that has florentine in the description with marinara and don't make the same mistake I did and not ask if it's deep fried!!! Ack! I couldn't eat it - honestly, it didn't even taste good to me. We ate at Mi Familia and L'Osteria which were both fantastic but again, you can't beat any of the restaurants on Hanover.

If you're interested in splurging, definitely go to Mike's Pastries for a cannoli!!! Best thing I have ever put in my mouth. Take your little box a few doors down for a wonderful espresso to eat with it. I can't remember the name of the place but there's a statue of an old man holding a tray and there's dollar bills pinned to him. I found eating at family's house was much more difficult because you can't exactly request light faire.

When you're in Boston, walk everywhere to burn off the cannoli! lol Have fun - I didn't want to come back to Texas!
Thank you, thank you for the fabulous tips! Exactly what I was looking for. It is an amazing coincidence especially since we're from the same place.

I am hoping to do lots and lots of walking like on the Freedom Trail and then I won't have to worry about setting aside time to work out so I can spend my entire time in Boston being nothing but a tourist for a change. I can work out in N.H. between family events.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: May 11, 2010
I live about an hour from Boston...and Erin is right, you will walk EVERYWHERE when you're in the city. It's so funny that she mentions Mike's pastries - we used to go get cannoli's to bring to my father-in-law every year for father's day. I swear that man would do anything for a cannoli from there!

At lunch time if you're just looking for smaller items - Quincy Market @ Fanueil Hall has some great salads/wraps. (The Freedom Trail will lead you right to this). Also, McCormick & Schmick's is a WONDERFUL restaurant. Definitely one of my favorites! You'll find lots of steak & seafood places...I wouldn't worry about it! Plus, a lot of the restaurants have a menu posted outside of them so you can know if there's an option that works for you before getting seated at a table!

Boston is a beautiful city...enjoy!

Over 100lbs. GONE FOREVER
Thanks to MWL!
8 months to Wellness....5/11/10 - 1/11/11
mommy2princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2princesses View Post
I swear that man would do anything for a cannoli from there!
And so would I!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never put something quite so wonderful on my tongue before... ever. The pistachio ones are the best!!!! Don't let the lines scare you off! They move quickly!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

I haven't been there in years, but Boston is one of my favorite places to travel. My brother use to live outside of Boston but moved several years ago. The Freedom Trail is so much fun. I can't wait until my children are old enough to enjoy it. I was 7 month pregnant last time I went and I walked everywhere, it's tiring, but worth it. And I agree the cannoli's are amazing, total worth a planned indulgence!
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lilypad
Stats: 166/163/125
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: July 20,2010
Thanks for the tips! My daughter is getting married in a few months and the parties are beginning. I sure am going to hate passing up the cakes but I think I can create my own plate with these great ideas! Thanks!
lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Luckily, my mother is not a breakfast person, so I will eat my low carb bars for breakfast. I'll be taking packaged foods that won't be affected by heat like almonds, jerky, low carb bars, Power Pops and Funky Monkey fruit. I'll always have a few packaged options in my purse to avoid getting too hungry.

Mom, however, HATES seafood. So we'll try to find places that are not predominantly seafood, but have it on the menu.

Only worry is water. I'm not packing water. We'll be next to Fanueil Hall, so I imagine I can stock up on cheaper water there (hotels $$$). But I like my water cold. We'll see if there's a fridge in my room and I'll freeze water overnight to take with me for the tour.

PS Someone mentioned string cheese... how does that keep when you're flying?? Also, what if you have Laughing Cow in the fridge? Is it OK that refrigerated Laughing Cow stop being in the fridge? After all, that's where you find them in the stores. That makes me nervous.

Last edited by txntv; 07-30-2010 at 04:32 AM..
Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
I am headed to Dallas in August for a few days for work. When I travel, due to TSA regs, I buy water AFTER clearing security, but I take an empty water bottle with me. I also take 100 cal packs of almonds, Medi bars, my fruit mix (made for me by a bionutritionist friend - and it is Medi Friendly), some instant coffee (from a well known vendor), some sugar free creamer, some Sargento light string cheese (it travels pretty well), and to eat on the plane- a snack pack of 3 oz of Boars Head turkey. I can usually find a little convenience store nearby to get some more water when I get where I am going. If I have to eat in restaurants which I usually do somewhere along the way, I usually go for chicken or plain salads.

I would opt to leave the Laughing Cow at home unless you know for certain that you will have a little fridge in the room.

FYI - for contact lens wearers, check the current TSA regs to see what kind of solutions you are allowed to take with you. It changes depending on the threat level. For example, Clear Care can be confiscated because of its red tip. Yes it happened to me. So check. You will save yourself some hassle by doing so.

Jo
Old 07-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/173/149 5'8" 38 years old
I don't refrigerate my Laughing Cow. Publix (my local grocery store) keeps it unrefrigerated. It is just stored on a shelf at the store! I carry a couple of wedges in my purse when I travel along with the 100 calorie packs of jerky, a couple of South Beach snack bars, and packs of tuna and chicken.

I travel every week for work, carry on all of these items, and have never had any of them confiscated by TSA.
suzanna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
I am headed to Dallas in August for a few days for work. When I travel, due to TSA regs, I buy water AFTER clearing security, but I take an empty water bottle with me
A plastic water bottle or something like a Sigg? I have a Sigg, but it doesn't keep very cold like my other water bottle -- but it's bulkier than the Sigg. I suppose I should take the Sigg to at least have something. Sigg was an unwise purchase because I can barely fit ice in its narrow lip and it does a lousy job of staying cold.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Nope, one that comes from my local grocery store but can also be found on various websites. It has a center core that you can freeze and it serves as the bottle top as wsell. And it holds up really well.

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Here is what I did on vacation.

I bought a disposable cooler at walmart for $6 to hold my cold stuff on vacation.

Breakfast: Protein Shake (I took the powder with me bought unsweetened almond milk when I arrived).

Lunch: Adkins Endulge Bar, or Lunch Meat and Cheese

Snack: 100 calorie pack of almonds or beef jerky

Dinner: I went out to eat with my family (reunion). I got grilled chicken, steak, hambuger (only ate half) and a steamed veggie

I took a water bottle with me and filled it several times a day.
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
Start Date: 4/26/2010
I am going to boston for a week and september and not eating all my meals out will be a money/diet saver. Plus i want to drink at least some nights. However, my hotel wont provide a microwave and Im not paying a 25$ a night surcharge for a mini fridge. Im going to see if we can bring our own (classy, huh?)
Ortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SonoRoo
Stats: 5'1" ~ 187.6/162/115
Start Date: May 20, 2010
This whole thing makes me nervous. Going to D.C. this weekend. I'm not packing anything for sure. I requested a fridge in the hotel and since we'll be over the shops I should be able to buy a few groceries to keep in line for breakfast and possibly lunch. As for dinner, I'm going to stick totally with the diet with the exception of one night where it is unavoidable. Not that I would avoid it if I tried. There is a place in Bethesda called Shangri-La that has some of the best indian food ever and it's a one time deal. I don't consider it a slip up because I am choosing it, I'll just keep in mind not to go overboard.

Indian food is *SO* not medi-friendly.

Do Over Mini Goal: at or below 160 before May
SonoRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
Start Date: 7/22/14
On my 3rd day (of 5) of travelling about to visit hubby's relatives. Okay, this is the deep South & people still eat like there's no tomorrow... and food means love to them. So, turning down their lucious offerings has to be done VERY carefully so as not to insult. I packed little baggies with my Medi- friendly foods, meal by meal, writing cals & carbs on the bags. (Although I caved the 1st night & had a little catfish that dear stepson fried.) Once I explained the Medi program to interested parties, they were impressed, & quit telling me about how "those fad diets will make you crazy," or "kill you..."
I cannot tell a lie, refusing the beer & good-smelling foods the past 2 days hasn't been the easiest thing I've done (I've practically drowned myself in water), but I've made it this far & I don't intend to screw it up (at least if I do, it'll hopefully be a minimal screw-up).
The BIGGEST thing that has gotten me through this trip so far and the past month has been this very site, and all my new "Medi friends!" Thank you everyone for being there and being so supportive!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nance7
Stats: 5'3" 165/125/135 Restart 7/9/12 at 142
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: 5/31/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
On my 3rd day (of 5) of travelling about to visit hubby's relatives. Okay, this is the deep South & people still eat like there's no tomorrow... and food means love to them. So, turning down their lucious offerings has to be done VERY carefully so as not to insult. I packed little baggies with my Medi- friendly foods, meal by meal, writing cals & carbs on the bags. (Although I caved the 1st night & had a little catfish that dear stepson fried.) Once I explained the Medi program to interested parties, they were impressed, & quit telling me about how "those fad diets will make you crazy," or "kill you..."
I cannot tell a lie, refusing the beer & good-smelling foods the past 2 days hasn't been the easiest thing I've done (I've practically drowned myself in water), but I've made it this far & I don't intend to screw it up (at least if I do, it'll hopefully be a minimal screw-up).
The BIGGEST thing that has gotten me through this trip so far and the past month has been this very site, and all my new "Medi friends!" Thank you everyone for being there and being so supportive!!!
AnnK--Boy, can I relate! While most don't consider Virginia the deep South, when you go to visit your dear mother-in-law in the country (almost on the border with North Carolina), you might as well be in the deep South! I went there over the 4th of July weekend, and there was a huge family reunion to boot. Food means love to my MIL, too, and it was very hard to turn down what she fixed. I took my food and did OK. The family reunion was all fried chicken, vegetables cooked in bacon grease/fatback, potato salad, etc., and an entire table filled with desserts. I managed by taking the skin off of a piece of fried chicken, eating some green beans and a deviled egg. Good luck and stick with it! Next time they see you, they will be amazed.
Nance7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msawhitt
Stats: 220/130/145
Start Date: August 11, 2010
I am on a weekend away right now, and just have to mention this place I am staying at. We are at the Embassy Suites in downtown Tampa, and I have to recommend this hotel (brand)! They offer a full service breakfast buffet FREE with your room, and they have a custom omelet station included. I asked them what they could make, and the guy was happy to offer egg beaters, egg whites, lean meats (ham, chicken), and of course pretty much any veggies and cheese. He made me 2 huge omelets, and I brought them upstairs and put them in my fridge to eat throughout the day. It was so surprising how happy they were to help me find diet-friendly options, all at no charge! This is a company policy, and applies to all Embassy suites hotels. Someone even found me some sugar-free coffeemate for my coffee : )

They are a mid-price hotel chain (like 100-150 a night), but with breakfast and happy hour (for those of you allowed, they offer basically a full bar for 2 hours, also free) included it is a great value. Once I saw how eager they were to help me find Medi-friendly foods, I was thrilled and knew I should recommend them. There is a kitchenette with micro and fridge included in every room. Love it! If you are ever looking for a place to go on vacation, keep this chain in mind!

lost 45 pounds in 3 months with MWL!

total loss of 90 pounds since May 2010

In maintenance : )
msawhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Embassy Suites is a part of the Hilton brand. Most will offer the same thing you are talking about, but some are more extensive than others with their offerings. The one I stayed at in Dallas was similar. I was able to find items in the buffet that fitted into my food plan quite easily. For the evening happy hour...sparkling water with a twist of lemon works nicely if you wish to lounge with others.

There are other suite type hotels that also offer similar buffets, such as the Residence Inns by Marriott, and some of the Country Inn and Suites, and Quality Suites will do so as well.

Jo

Last edited by Desert-Rose7; 09-05-2010 at 10:43 AM..
Old 11-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Bumping this up for the upcoming holiday season!

Jo
Old 03-15-2011, 03:49 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losing in Ftm
Stats: restart Apr 2012
Start Date: 5/5/10
Bumping This up
losing in Ftm is offline   Reply With Quote