What makes you happy now?
You know, since we can't find our happiness in a slice of chocolate cake or a plate full of creamy mashed potatoes... what have you discovered about yourself? What things have you found joy in that you might not have noticed before the diet?
For me, one thing is...
I have found myself more willing to be in a family photo... not necessarily because I am where I want to be yet, but because I know that I am getting there and will need some sort of photographic evidence of the journey.
What about you?
Life makes me happy!
Here is my list of the top 10 things that have made me very happy lately...
10. Cleaning out my closet.
9. Being able to do physical things without getting out of breath.
8. Having my picture taken and liking it.
7. Buying new hip clothes in smaller sizes.
6. Walking by Catherine's or Lane Bryant's and realizing that nothing in there would come even close to fitting me.
5. Having people who used to be thinner than me ask for diet advice.
4. Getting dressed every morning and liking what I see in the mirror. :high5:
3. My confidence. :up:
2. Borrowing clothes from my skinny sisters and having them fit. (And yes they did!) :p
1. The way my husband looks at me. :love:
Blue skies and a wonderful life!
To be perfectly honest, I have never found happiness in food. Just not my thing. My weight gain came about from a change to my lifestyle moving from the Pacific Northwest to Phoenix. Not as active as I used to be, working longer hours. Having been athletic all my life until my move to Arizona, I had to find new ways to be active. And I am proof that eating the right things can cause weight gain if not accompanied by appropriate exercise.
10. Blue skies in the morning, with a few white puffy clouds
9. The ducks in the lake swimming along with their ducklings in the spring
8. Walking longer and breathing easier coming up the hill :)
7. Actually liking what I see in the mirror every morning
6. Taking the size 20s/18s/16s to Buffalo Exchange. The 14s will follow soon.
5. Being astonished at what size I wear in T-shirts (Medium now)
4. Accepting compliments on my appearance from those who have not seen me in a while, and accepting with grace :blush:
3. Watching my personal physician do the "happy dance" at my appointment this May. :clap:
2. Knowing for a fact that I definitely do not look my age
1. The way the man in my life looks at me :heart:
Here is my list as I approach 50 off this week:
1. Looking in the mirror and seeing an improvement in my body size
2. Incredible increase in mobility (getting up off the couch, walking a mile in 15 minutes, cleaning the house daily, loving yardwork and now golfing)
3. Cleaned my closet of all the fat clothes
4. Putting on clothes that I haven't worn in over 3 years and they are too big
5. Fitting in booths at restaruants
6. Fitting in seats in auditoriums
7. Looking forward to dressing up for an evening outting because I don't have to wear the same ole crap that used to fit
8. Not being hungry!
9. Putting on my own toe nail polish
10. I love that my husband is doing this with me and he has lost over 50 pounds as well.
11. Knowing that I am going to live a longer and happier life
12 Looking forward to the next 50 pounds which will be 2/3 of the way to goal!
I have to say that I am so proud of each of you... I never realized how much joy I used to gain from baking a batch of cookies and polishing off half in front of a favorite t.v. show... of course, for me, that was soon followed by being miserable in front of the same t.v show realizing that the path I was on would never lead me to be mistaken for one of the actresses on that very show.
1. Actually WANTING to play with my kids because I have the energy to...
2. Not wondering, when I get dressed in the morning, if my clothes will fit.
3. Spending more of my time planning for an exciting future, instead of lamenting over
my current circumstances.
4. Looking forward to shopping for clothes that will make me pretty instead of just clothes that won't make me look fat... for a change....
5. Realizing that things are ONLY going to get BETTER... That today is the heaviest I will ever be again. Each day I will be able to walk farther, swim faster, and have more energy than the day before.
6. Laundry is no longer the BEAR that it used to be... I can make it up and down the basement stairs without becoming winded and therefore I get more done... and that makes me feel like a better caretaker.
7. Knowing that the food choices I am making now are also affecting the dinner preparation in my house and therefore giving my kids more healthy fuel for their day.
8. Realizing that I CAN DO IT! And as most of you know, if you can change your lifestyle this drastically and be successful about it... you can do ANYTHING!
9. Knowing that who I am becoming reminds my guy of who I was when we met.
10. Honestly feeling that 24 hours in a day isn't enough for me.
11. Actually, checking the "weight-issue" off of my list of things to toil over and saying... "Now what?!?!?"
My weight troubles really started with a misdiagnosis and seven miscarriages and a lot of loneliness. So now that they correctly diagnosed both the adrenal gland cyst and removed it, and started me on medication for hypothyroidism, I'm feeling so confident about this journey.
1. Being able to do things I couldn't do 3 weeks ago.
2. Having less dishes to wash because I'm not making a protein, a starch, and a veg for dinner!
3. Dropping a clothing size in 2 weeks.
4. Having a "higher or lower" bet with my husband about how much I've lost every week.
5. Trying new recipies and vegetables that I didn't know I liked! Btw, I love eggplant! Who knew?
6. Looking forward to a baby! Every time I don't want to do what I should, I think "I'm going to be able to have a beautiful, healthy baby if I do this."
7. Being able to call my skinny Mom (5'8", 140) and tell her and my four sisters (all skinny, ages 16, 14, 9, and 7) how much I've lost that week! My Mom is my biggest cheerleader, and never says anything about her business when I call. (She owns a Bakery. >.<)
8. Knowing that for everything I've ever failed...this time I am in control, and I don't have to fail.
9. Coming here and seeing all of your successes!
10. Walking my dog and having her get tired before I do.
11. Getting rid of the "potato" under my chin!
I loved your list! Be proud of yourself! I had a miscarriage before my first of three other children... It was such a hard time for me, emotionally... I am so glad that the clouds are clearing and I just know that the Lord will bless someone as lovely as you with a beautiful baby!
Keep it Up!
Hahaha the potato under your chin! I love it and yes lets say good bye to the ugly spud!
You might want to try the eggplant parmesan, post #16 in the recipe thread. I just made it for my family when I was in Maryland and they all loved it.
Thank you all, and Susie, you are a life saver! The eggplant and lamb stew went over well here...but I made it up. Sometimes my cooking concoctions can be...umm...how to say this delicately...revolting. :P Always nice to have a recipe that is tried and true!
I think this thread is great for inspiration!
10. Every morning trying on clothes that didn't fit 3 months ago that are now too big.
9. Being an encouragement to people that needed to lose weight but never had the motivation.
8. Not having 3 rolls of fat on my back.
7. Not having a tire around the middle when I wear jeans.
6. Wanting to eat healthy and liking it.
5. Hearing my family(husband, daughter and son) say how proud of me they are
4. Not being embarrassed to see people that I have not seen in awhile
3. The look in my husbandís eyes
2. Me being proud of me!!!!
1. ME LOVING ME!!!!!
What a fabulous thread!!!!!! :clap:
1) I feel great! I have more energy and don't get exhausted climbing the ONE FLIGHT of stairs in my house.
2) I can RUN on the treadmill and actually enjoy it!
3) I have a closet full of FAT clothes that I just can't fit anymore!
4) Went shopping at Macy's and didn't even walk through the "Women's" department.
5) Found a cute dress for an event next Saturday that I could have never fit even 2 months ago!
6) I can button my coat!
7) I fit into size 12 pants (after wearing 18-20 for years).
8) I don't feel like I'm going to die too soon--really--I was becoming really frightened about high blood pressure and diabetes claiming me eventually, since I just ate with wild abandon and never exercised.
9) I'm not the "fat mom" at my daughter's school. (I still have work to do, but it's not nearly as horrible.)
10) Really excited about going shopping for new, more hip clothes. As much as I have relied on Lane Bryant to try to keep things modern, and she does do a decent job of it, I am thrilled to have more choices!
11) Feeling IN CONTROL for ONCE!!!
Again, GREAT THREAD!! Loved reading everyone's responses. What an inspiration!!!!
Chocolate fan - your comment about not being the fat mom completely hits home with me....I was the fattest mom at all playgroups, school, etc for both of my daughters. I am now the mom quickest to get involved in a game, the one willing to join in soccer practice (because, hey - it's extra cardio) and the mom that other moms ask "how did you lose all that weight?" I finally feel as if I am the mom that my girls can be proud of, because I am showing them how to grow up healthy.....not skinny, but healthy. And that is the example I always wanted to show them, and finally feel as if I can and will.
Ok, I am not as happy as I was 8lb ago when I was at my goal weight but I am still happy because:
1. Not worrying that come winter the coat from last year would not fit and I will have to go and buy a bigger size (it's cold out there, you need one, right)
2. Knowing that even after prolong sitting you can just get up and go and not waiting 5 minutes until your stiff legs can move. Not having an edema on my legs for days after long flights.
3. Catching a glimpse of myself in store glass windows and doors and still not believing that it's me
4. Looking for cute, modern clothes that I like and not only those that will not make look fat.
5. Looking forward to go on day hikes with my husband and friends and not looking for excuses why I cannot go this time.
6. Not arguing with my husband who will fetch things from the basement anticipating huffing and puffing, just get up and run 2 flights of stairs.
I am not happy because my jeans are tight now and I lost control over food for a while. Just by listing those 6 items above strenghten my resolve to get those 8 lb off and never gain back
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 PM.|