Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 18
Gallery: DOCProv
Stats: 225/197.5/160
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: April 2008
tanita tidbits

IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT THE TANITA BODY COMPOSITION SCALE:

This will make it easier for you to get less frustrated!!

An material, (socks, nylons, etc), which prevents direct skin contact to the Tanita may affect the body fat %. Socks must be removed. For nylons...
- Place a drop of saline in the center of each electrode before stepping on the scale. Fluid acts as a conductor, and allows the current to pass more freely.
-Callused feet may cause the same difficulty as nylons- the use of saline may also be effective
-Extremly cold feet may also affect the results

Proper Protocol
To obtain the most accurate results the following are recommended:
-No alcohol 48 hrs before the test
-Avoid intense exercise 12 hrs before the test
-Avoid eating or drinking (especially caffeinated products) 4 hrs before the test
-Avoid all diuretics for 7 days before the test (only if possible)
-Test should be taken 3 hours after waking up
-Illness at the time of measurement may affect hydration levels (ie TBW)

How does it work?????
The Tanita measure the impedance of your body (resistance to electrical signal).
-Lean tissues (muscle) have a high water and electrolyte content, and thus provide a good electrical pathway.
-Fat mass contains a lower percentage of body water and is a poor conductor of electrical signal (it is a resistor)
-The body fat % is calculated by the scale by formula which uses impedance, weight, height, gender and age information.

REMEMBER THIS IS JUST ONE READING IN TIME, IT IS IMPORTANT TO COMPARE WEEKS IN WHICH THE TBW IS MOST SIMILAR IN ORDER TO MAKE AN ACCURATE ASSESSMENT OF WHERE THE WEIGHT LOSS IS COMING FROM SINCE ALL CALCULATIONS ARE VERY DEPENDENT ON TBW...
DOCProv is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
Jeffery's girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 154
Gallery: Jeffery's girl
Stats: 219.4/189/140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: February 09,2009
Deirdre, thank you for the information! It is nice to have someone who works at a Medi clinic and is on the program sharing info with us. I appreciate your input!
Sherrie
Jeffery's girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 13
Gallery: AtTheBeach
Stats: 5' 4' 183.6/162.2/125
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 9/15/09
Just curious, but why would it matter when you woke up?
AtTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 18
Gallery: DOCProv
Stats: 225/197.5/160
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheBeach View Post
Just curious, but why would it matter when you woke up?
It likely has to do with the hydration level of your tissues when you sleep. During sleep we experience multiple hormonal fluctuation that lead to major TBW shifts. It is just a point of keeping the controllable elements as consistent as possible week to week.
DOCProv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!
 
Desert-Rose7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,478
Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Deidre'~
Thank you for the info. The readings make me nuts every week. So I just really concentrate on the actual weight, the BMI and fat percentage. Those numbers I can understand and make sense of. I keep track of all of them, but many of them are so changeable for so many different reasons. Even though I do everything exactly the same for 48 hours prior to my appointment.

Jo

Last edited by Desert-Rose7; 04-14-2009 at 03:45 PM..
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
Jonpryor99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 196
Gallery: Jonpryor99
Stats: 240/193/190
WOE: Atkins / Medi Weight Loss clinics
Start Date: 9/24/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
Deidre'~
Thank you for the info. The readings make me nuts every week. So I just really concentrate on the actual weight, the BMI and fat percentage. Those numbers I can understand and make sense of. I keep track of all of them, but many of them are so changeable for so many different reasons. Even though I do exactly the same for 48 hours prior to my appointment.

Jo
BMI is an outdated and antiquated system. I wouldn't put much faith in it. As for the fat percentage, that is what the doc is explaining will fluctuate quite a bit based on your TBW / hydration levels.

I am pretty much just judging by my pants waist sizes now instead of worrying about what the machine says my TBW and Fat percentage is.
Jonpryor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!
 
Desert-Rose7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,478
Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Jon~
Yep, I know BMI is outdated, but I understand how it is calculated, and can relate it to more accurate data on the subject. And the fat percentage has not fluctuated much with me at all, so I can understand that as well. My hydration level is also pretty stable. I have built myself a little excel spreadsheet for all the numbers so I understand what is going on. I do pay attention to my measurements, and how my clothes fit, and what I see in the mirror. This works for me.

And each of us will find what works best for them. As long as the numbers continue to go down on the weight, I am pretty happy!

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
SDC2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,421
Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCProv View Post
IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT THE TANITA BODY COMPOSITION SCALE:

This will make it easier for you to get less frustrated!!

An material, (socks, nylons, etc), which prevents direct skin contact to the Tanita may affect the body fat %. Socks must be removed. For nylons...
- Place a drop of saline in the center of each electrode before stepping on the scale. Fluid acts as a conductor, and allows the current to pass more freely.
-Callused feet may cause the same difficulty as nylons- the use of saline may also be effective
-Extremly cold feet may also affect the results

Proper Protocol
To obtain the most accurate results the following are recommended:
-No alcohol 48 hrs before the test
-Avoid intense exercise 12 hrs before the test
-Avoid eating or drinking (especially caffeinated products) 4 hrs before the test
-Avoid all diuretics for 7 days before the test (only if possible)
-Test should be taken 3 hours after waking up
-Illness at the time of measurement may affect hydration levels (ie TBW)

How does it work?????
The Tanita measure the impedance of your body (resistance to electrical signal).
-Lean tissues (muscle) have a high water and electrolyte content, and thus provide a good electrical pathway.
-Fat mass contains a lower percentage of body water and is a poor conductor of electrical signal (it is a resistor)
-The body fat % is calculated by the scale by formula which uses impedance, weight, height, gender and age information.

REMEMBER THIS IS JUST ONE READING IN TIME, IT IS IMPORTANT TO COMPARE WEEKS IN WHICH THE TBW IS MOST SIMILAR IN ORDER TO MAKE AN ACCURATE ASSESSMENT OF WHERE THE WEIGHT LOSS IS COMING FROM SINCE ALL CALCULATIONS ARE VERY DEPENDENT ON TBW...
I think I break every rule in protocol list every week. I just focus on my weight and the measurements. I don't let the other numbers freak me out. I never had all the other numbers on any other weight management program I've been on. Granted, the other numbers are interesting, but I know water weight is temporary and I haven't lost 51 pounds of water. The pounds are real. It is good to see the BMI (which I know is outdated) and the fat percent approach normal levels. This is just my take.

Susie
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:29 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Jonpryor99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 196
Gallery: Jonpryor99
Stats: 240/193/190
WOE: Atkins / Medi Weight Loss clinics
Start Date: 9/24/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
Jon~
Yep, I know BMI is outdated, but I understand how it is calculated, and can relate it to more accurate data on the subject. And the fat percentage has not fluctuated much with me at all, so I can understand that as well. My hydration level is also pretty stable. I have built myself a little excel spreadsheet for all the numbers so I understand what is going on. I do pay attention to my measurements, and how my clothes fit, and what I see in the mirror. This works for me.

And each of us will find what works best for them. As long as the numbers continue to go down on the weight, I am pretty happy!

Jo
Jo,

Sorry if my post came across as snippy. I just hate the BMI that much. Even when I was at my most fit at 173lbs and 8% bodyfat the BMI chart still said I was overweight. It especially does not work well for men who have spent much time in the gym lifting weights.

It's awesome that you have found what works for you and you are doing great, keep it up!
Jonpryor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
Desert-Rose7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,478
Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Thanks Jon. No problem. It's all good. Each of us finds a way to make the program work for our own selves!

I have been athletic all my life but weightlifting has never been a part of my protocol. I admire those who lift, it just is not for me.


Jo

Last edited by Desert-Rose7; 04-15-2009 at 01:12 PM..
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member
 
Fabulous@50's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 57
Gallery: Fabulous@50
Stats: 182/140/140
WOE: Medi
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonpryor99 View Post
Jo,

Sorry if my post came across as snippy. I just hate the BMI that much. Even when I was at my most fit at 173lbs and 8% bodyfat the BMI chart still said I was overweight. It especially does not work well for men who have spent much time in the gym lifting weights.

It's awesome that you have found what works for you and you are doing great, keep it up!
I don't look at BMI either and I know I'm probably crazy, but the weight loss is no longer a big deal (never thought I would hear myself say that!). I actually focus on my measurements and how my clothes fit. I have worked out with weights for a couple of years. However, once I started Medi, I forced myself to really focus and do intense 30 min weight training at least 4-5 days per week - upper one day, lower next. My muscle tone right now is unbelievable. When I move my arms, you can actually SEE my biceps. My thighs look like they did when I used to play soccer.

As a 50 year old female, 5' 6.5" -- I weighed in at 150 Saturday -- but I wear a size 8. Before I got pregnant with my son over 13 years ago at age 37, I weighed 150 but wore a size 12.

The combination of weight training, 45 minute elliptical and 30-45 minute walks + Medi is literally melting FAT away.

My weight goal at the beginning of Medi had been 140 -- however, my husband says I look so good right now, he's not sure I should lose anymore. Trust me -- that's a HUGE compliment coming from him.

I'm still going to aim for 140 -- I just can't image getting any smaller than I am right now though. I've always considered myself a "big-boned" female with a big rear-end! I'm sometimes surprised when I see myself in the mirror - I have literally done a doubletake a few times -- "that slim woman is me?! How can that be?!!" (Seriously, isn't AWESOME to have found a program that REALLY, REALLY WORKS?!)
Fabulous@50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!
 
SDC2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,421
Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous@50 View Post
I don't look at BMI either and I know I'm probably crazy, but the weight loss is no longer a big deal (never thought I would hear myself say that!). I actually focus on my measurements and how my clothes fit. I have worked out with weights for a couple of years. However, once I started Medi, I forced myself to really focus and do intense 30 min weight training at least 4-5 days per week - upper one day, lower next. My muscle tone right now is unbelievable. When I move my arms, you can actually SEE my biceps. My thighs look like they did when I used to play soccer.

As a 50 year old female, 5' 6.5" -- I weighed in at 150 Saturday -- but I wear a size 8. Before I got pregnant with my son over 13 years ago at age 37, I weighed 150 but wore a size 12.

The combination of weight training, 45 minute elliptical and 30-45 minute walks + Medi is literally melting FAT away.

My weight goal at the beginning of Medi had been 140 -- however, my husband says I look so good right now, he's not sure I should lose anymore. Trust me -- that's a HUGE compliment coming from him.

I'm still going to aim for 140 -- I just can't image getting any smaller than I am right now though. I've always considered myself a "big-boned" female with a big rear-end! I'm sometimes surprised when I see myself in the mirror - I have literally done a doubletake a few times -- "that slim woman is me?! How can that be?!!" (Seriously, isn't AWESOME to have found a program that REALLY, REALLY WORKS?!)
Wow, you just wrote my story. Congrats and keep posting. I am personally interested in what you decide to do. There are many of us on this forum that have experience the exact same thing. This is an amazing program.

Susie

P.S. You should be posting this on the May forum so that more can see this.

Last edited by SDC2; 05-31-2009 at 07:39 PM..
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
SonoRoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 190
Gallery: SonoRoo
Stats: 5'1" ~ 187.6/162/115
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: May 20, 2010
bump
SonoRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member
 
WichitaLoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 32
Gallery: WichitaLoser
Stats: 281/271/200
WOE: MWL
Start Date: February 17, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoRoo View Post
bump
do the bump...bump bump bump
WichitaLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriendsŪ is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.