Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   tanita tidbits (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/613275-tanita-tidbits.html)

DOCProv 04-13-2009 08:03 AM

tanita tidbits
 
IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT THE TANITA BODY COMPOSITION SCALE:

This will make it easier for you to get less frustrated!!

An material, (socks, nylons, etc), which prevents direct skin contact to the Tanita may affect the body fat %. Socks must be removed. For nylons...
- Place a drop of saline in the center of each electrode before stepping on the scale. Fluid acts as a conductor, and allows the current to pass more freely.
-Callused feet may cause the same difficulty as nylons- the use of saline may also be effective
-Extremly cold feet may also affect the results

Proper Protocol
To obtain the most accurate results the following are recommended:
-No alcohol 48 hrs before the test
-Avoid intense exercise 12 hrs before the test
-Avoid eating or drinking (especially caffeinated products) 4 hrs before the test
-Avoid all diuretics for 7 days before the test (only if possible)
-Test should be taken 3 hours after waking up
-Illness at the time of measurement may affect hydration levels (ie TBW)

How does it work?????
The Tanita measure the impedance of your body (resistance to electrical signal).
-Lean tissues (muscle) have a high water and electrolyte content, and thus provide a good electrical pathway.
-Fat mass contains a lower percentage of body water and is a poor conductor of electrical signal (it is a resistor)
-The body fat % is calculated by the scale by formula which uses impedance, weight, height, gender and age information.

REMEMBER THIS IS JUST ONE READING IN TIME, IT IS IMPORTANT TO COMPARE WEEKS IN WHICH THE TBW IS MOST SIMILAR IN ORDER TO MAKE AN ACCURATE ASSESSMENT OF WHERE THE WEIGHT LOSS IS COMING FROM SINCE ALL CALCULATIONS ARE VERY DEPENDENT ON TBW...

Jeffery's girl 04-13-2009 12:40 PM

Deirdre, thank you for the information! It is nice to have someone who works at a Medi clinic and is on the program sharing info with us. I appreciate your input!
Sherrie

AtTheBeach 04-13-2009 02:52 PM

Just curious, but why would it matter when you woke up? :confused:

DOCProv 04-14-2009 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtTheBeach (Post 11827981)
Just curious, but why would it matter when you woke up? :confused:

It likely has to do with the hydration level of your tissues when you sleep. During sleep we experience multiple hormonal fluctuation that lead to major TBW shifts. It is just a point of keeping the controllable elements as consistent as possible week to week.

Desert-Rose7 04-14-2009 03:19 PM

Deidre'~
Thank you for the info. The readings make me nuts every week. So I just really concentrate on the actual weight, the BMI and fat percentage. Those numbers I can understand and make sense of. I keep track of all of them, but many of them are so changeable for so many different reasons. Even though I do everything exactly the same for 48 hours prior to my appointment.

Jo

Jonpryor99 04-14-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 (Post 11833427)
Deidre'~
Thank you for the info. The readings make me nuts every week. So I just really concentrate on the actual weight, the BMI and fat percentage. Those numbers I can understand and make sense of. I keep track of all of them, but many of them are so changeable for so many different reasons. Even though I do exactly the same for 48 hours prior to my appointment.

Jo

BMI is an outdated and antiquated system. I wouldn't put much faith in it. As for the fat percentage, that is what the doc is explaining will fluctuate quite a bit based on your TBW / hydration levels.

I am pretty much just judging by my pants waist sizes now instead of worrying about what the machine says my TBW and Fat percentage is.

Desert-Rose7 04-14-2009 03:51 PM

Jon~
Yep, I know BMI is outdated, but I understand how it is calculated, and can relate it to more accurate data on the subject. And the fat percentage has not fluctuated much with me at all, so I can understand that as well. My hydration level is also pretty stable. I have built myself a little excel spreadsheet for all the numbers so I understand what is going on. I do pay attention to my measurements, and how my clothes fit, and what I see in the mirror. This works for me.

And each of us will find what works best for them. As long as the numbers continue to go down on the weight, I am pretty happy!

Jo

SDC2 04-14-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOCProv (Post 11825777)
IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT THE TANITA BODY COMPOSITION SCALE:

This will make it easier for you to get less frustrated!!

An material, (socks, nylons, etc), which prevents direct skin contact to the Tanita may affect the body fat %. Socks must be removed. For nylons...
- Place a drop of saline in the center of each electrode before stepping on the scale. Fluid acts as a conductor, and allows the current to pass more freely.
-Callused feet may cause the same difficulty as nylons- the use of saline may also be effective
-Extremly cold feet may also affect the results

Proper Protocol
To obtain the most accurate results the following are recommended:
-No alcohol 48 hrs before the test
-Avoid intense exercise 12 hrs before the test
-Avoid eating or drinking (especially caffeinated products) 4 hrs before the test
-Avoid all diuretics for 7 days before the test (only if possible)
-Test should be taken 3 hours after waking up
-Illness at the time of measurement may affect hydration levels (ie TBW)

How does it work?????
The Tanita measure the impedance of your body (resistance to electrical signal).
-Lean tissues (muscle) have a high water and electrolyte content, and thus provide a good electrical pathway.
-Fat mass contains a lower percentage of body water and is a poor conductor of electrical signal (it is a resistor)
-The body fat % is calculated by the scale by formula which uses impedance, weight, height, gender and age information.

REMEMBER THIS IS JUST ONE READING IN TIME, IT IS IMPORTANT TO COMPARE WEEKS IN WHICH THE TBW IS MOST SIMILAR IN ORDER TO MAKE AN ACCURATE ASSESSMENT OF WHERE THE WEIGHT LOSS IS COMING FROM SINCE ALL CALCULATIONS ARE VERY DEPENDENT ON TBW...

I think I break every rule in protocol list every week. I just focus on my weight and the measurements. I don't let the other numbers freak me out. I never had all the other numbers on any other weight management program I've been on. Granted, the other numbers are interesting, but I know water weight is temporary and I haven't lost 51 pounds of water. The pounds are real. It is good to see the BMI (which I know is outdated) and the fat percent approach normal levels. This is just my take.

Susie

Jonpryor99 04-15-2009 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 (Post 11833563)
Jon~
Yep, I know BMI is outdated, but I understand how it is calculated, and can relate it to more accurate data on the subject. And the fat percentage has not fluctuated much with me at all, so I can understand that as well. My hydration level is also pretty stable. I have built myself a little excel spreadsheet for all the numbers so I understand what is going on. I do pay attention to my measurements, and how my clothes fit, and what I see in the mirror. This works for me.

And each of us will find what works best for them. As long as the numbers continue to go down on the weight, I am pretty happy!

Jo

Jo,

Sorry if my post came across as snippy. I just hate the BMI that much. Even when I was at my most fit at 173lbs and 8% bodyfat the BMI chart still said I was overweight. It especially does not work well for men who have spent much time in the gym lifting weights.

It's awesome that you have found what works for you and you are doing great, keep it up!

Desert-Rose7 04-15-2009 01:11 PM

Thanks Jon. No problem. It's all good. Each of us finds a way to make the program work for our own selves!

I have been athletic all my life but weightlifting has never been a part of my protocol. I admire those who lift, it just is not for me.


Jo

Fabulous@50 05-31-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonpryor99 (Post 11835598)
Jo,

Sorry if my post came across as snippy. I just hate the BMI that much. Even when I was at my most fit at 173lbs and 8% bodyfat the BMI chart still said I was overweight. It especially does not work well for men who have spent much time in the gym lifting weights.

It's awesome that you have found what works for you and you are doing great, keep it up!

I don't look at BMI either and I know I'm probably crazy, but the weight loss is no longer a big deal (never thought I would hear myself say that!). I actually focus on my measurements and how my clothes fit. I have worked out with weights for a couple of years. However, once I started Medi, I forced myself to really focus and do intense 30 min weight training at least 4-5 days per week - upper one day, lower next. My muscle tone right now is unbelievable. When I move my arms, you can actually SEE my biceps. My thighs look like they did when I used to play soccer.

As a 50 year old female, 5' 6.5" -- I weighed in at 150 Saturday -- but I wear a size 8. Before I got pregnant with my son over 13 years ago at age 37, I weighed 150 but wore a size 12.

The combination of weight training, 45 minute elliptical and 30-45 minute walks + Medi is literally melting FAT away.

My weight goal at the beginning of Medi had been 140 -- however, my husband says I look so good right now, he's not sure I should lose anymore. Trust me -- that's a HUGE compliment coming from him.

I'm still going to aim for 140 -- I just can't image getting any smaller than I am right now though. I've always considered myself a "big-boned" female with a big rear-end! I'm sometimes surprised when I see myself in the mirror - I have literally done a doubletake a few times -- "that slim woman is me?! How can that be?!!" (Seriously, isn't AWESOME to have found a program that REALLY, REALLY WORKS?!) :cool:

SDC2 05-31-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabulous@50 (Post 12041372)
I don't look at BMI either and I know I'm probably crazy, but the weight loss is no longer a big deal (never thought I would hear myself say that!). I actually focus on my measurements and how my clothes fit. I have worked out with weights for a couple of years. However, once I started Medi, I forced myself to really focus and do intense 30 min weight training at least 4-5 days per week - upper one day, lower next. My muscle tone right now is unbelievable. When I move my arms, you can actually SEE my biceps. My thighs look like they did when I used to play soccer.

As a 50 year old female, 5' 6.5" -- I weighed in at 150 Saturday -- but I wear a size 8. Before I got pregnant with my son over 13 years ago at age 37, I weighed 150 but wore a size 12.

The combination of weight training, 45 minute elliptical and 30-45 minute walks + Medi is literally melting FAT away.

My weight goal at the beginning of Medi had been 140 -- however, my husband says I look so good right now, he's not sure I should lose anymore. Trust me -- that's a HUGE compliment coming from him.

I'm still going to aim for 140 -- I just can't image getting any smaller than I am right now though. I've always considered myself a "big-boned" female with a big rear-end! I'm sometimes surprised when I see myself in the mirror - I have literally done a doubletake a few times -- "that slim woman is me?! How can that be?!!" (Seriously, isn't AWESOME to have found a program that REALLY, REALLY WORKS?!) :cool:

Wow, you just wrote my story. Congrats and keep posting. I am personally interested in what you decide to do. There are many of us on this forum that have experience the exact same thing. This is an amazing program.

Susie

P.S. You should be posting this on the May forum so that more can see this.

SonoRoo 02-24-2011 01:39 PM

bump

WichitaLoser 03-02-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonoRoo (Post 14410817)
bump

do the bump...bump bump bump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 AM.