Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Medi Recipe Question And Comments (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/613246-medi-recipe-question-comments.html)

Jeffery's girl 04-13-2009 05:55 AM

Medi Recipe Question And Comments

:welcome:
This new thread is for questions and comments on our recipes. When you have a new recipe please post that on the Medi Weight Loss Recipe thread started by McBoo and then post all comments and questions here. Hopefully we will be able to keep our recipe thread clean and neat. Thank you for the suggestion Ash!
Sherrie

SDC2 04-13-2009 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffery's girl (Post 11825224)
:welcome:
This new thread is for questions and comments on our recipes. When you have a new recipe please post that on the Medi Weight Loss Recipe thread started by McBoo and then post all comments and questions here. Hopefully we will be able to keep our recipe thread clean and neat. Thank you for the suggestion Ash!
Sherrie

Just a suggestion, but when you comment on a recipe, refer to the post number in the recipe thread. For example if I wanted to comment on the faux fries I would say "I tried the faux fries, post #87, and found that ..." That way we can easily find the recipe you are referring to.

Sherrie, thanks for starting this thread. Ash, great idea.

Susie

Desert-Rose7 04-13-2009 05:01 PM

Susie and Sherrie,
I just posted a little link to the comment thread in the recipe thread, no guarantees, but maybe it will help a little.

Jo

Ash347 04-18-2009 02:32 PM

i like this new thread, im trying a new recipe tonight and will let you know how it goes here!
Ashley

McBoo 04-18-2009 03:04 PM

Susie,

Have you made the hollandaise sauce? I love hollandaise and want to know how it is.

McBoo

SDC2 04-18-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBoo (Post 11852112)
Susie,

Have you made the hollandaise sauce? I love hollandaise and want to know how it is.

McBoo

I did and I liked it, but I am more forgiving than most. I love hollandaise sauce, so for me it was reminescent. Good enough for me. It would taste great on asparagus.

Susie

crobyninc 04-19-2009 08:54 AM

Susie

I agree, I tried it and it was close enough. That is why I feel satisfied on the diet, because I'm able to fake myself out! I have some recipes I need to get on here, just need to write them up and put out. I promise to get busy!

babyboyst 04-20-2009 05:02 PM

Hi, this question is for Susie! I saw your apple recipe and it looks AWESOME! What is the fat/carb/cal breakdown, is it considered one serving, the whole thing? Thanks!! I want to try this when i have that info!

SDC2 04-20-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyboyst (Post 11861144)
Hi, this question is for Susie! I saw your apple recipe and it looks AWESOME! What is the fat/carb/cal breakdown, is it considered one serving, the whole thing? Thanks!! I want to try this when i have that info!

I'm sorry. I meant to post the nutritional info.

The apple counts as one of your veggies/fruits. The other ingredients add the following

27 calories/ 1.5g fat/ 2g carbs and this is primarily for the cool whip.

SDC2 04-21-2009 03:30 PM

Baked Apple Recipe

I made the baked apple recipe today, only used an asian pear instead of the apple. It was really good. I used frozen cool whip, which made it seem like I was having it with ice cream.

Tonight I am having corned beef and cabbage that I cooked all day in the crock pot. The corned beef I use comes from BJ's and has only 120 calories and 5 grams of fat for a 4 oz serving.

Susie

crobyninc 04-21-2009 04:24 PM

Susie I made a corned beef and cabbage on St Patty's day and man o man that was so good! Now I want to do it again!

Last night I made "Philly cheese steak sandwiches". My mother inlaw has a professional meat slicer and buys boneless roasts when they are super cheap and slices them paper thin. Anyway, as a gift to our diet she did a couple roasts for us.

So I browned mushrooms, onions and green peppers and then cut the meat into bite size pieces and cooked them to rare, like less than a minute in the pan. Combined the meat and the veggies and melted some Low fat cheese over it and mixed it in. Then spooned the mixture into big romaine lettuce leafs. OMG it was so good. The first "sandwich" I have had in 6 weeks! The total calories for 4 oz was only 220 calories. I was in heaven and so was my family.

Tonight I did "pizza burgers". Mixed cottage cheese, turkey pepperoni, fire roasted tomatoes and fresh basil, oregano and parsley in a bowl. Then with a stick blender pureed to a smooth thick mixture. For the hamburger, I used ground chicken that I seasoned with grated onion, garlic, worchestershire sause, an egg and more fresh basil, oregano and parsley. I made 10 patties. In 5 of the patties a put a dollup of the "pizza mixture" and then topped with another pattie and sealed the edges. Grilled until done and then served again in a big Romaine Lettuce leaf with more of the pizza mixture on top and some fire roasted tomatoes. Again outstanding!

My son tonight commented that he is not sure we are on a diet because he would gladly buy the last 2 nights meal out and think it was pretty cool eating LC out! I have to agree, I am loving revamping recipes to fit my medi life!

SDC2 04-21-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crobyninc (Post 11866239)
Susie I made a corned beef and cabbage on St Patty's day and man o man that was so good! Now I want to do it again!

Last night I made "Philly cheese steak sandwiches". My mother inlaw has a professional meat slicer and buys boneless roasts when they are super cheap and slices them paper thin. Anyway, as a gift to our diet she did a couple roasts for us.

So I browned mushrooms, onions and green peppers and then cut the meat into bite size pieces and cooked them to rare, like less than a minute in the pan. Combined the meat and the veggies and melted some Low fat cheese over it and mixed it in. Then spooned the mixture into big romaine lettuce leafs. OMG it was so good. The first "sandwich" I have had in 6 weeks! The total calories for 4 oz was only 220 calories. I was in heaven and so was my family.

Tonight I did "pizza burgers". Mixed cottage cheese, turkey pepperoni, fire roasted tomatoes and fresh basil, oregano and parsley in a bowl. Then with a stick blender pureed to a smooth thick mixture. For the hamburger, I used ground chicken that I seasoned with grated onion, garlic, worchestershire sause, an egg and more fresh basil, oregano and parsley. I made 10 patties. In 5 of the patties a put a dollup of the "pizza mixture" and then topped with another pattie and sealed the edges. Grilled until done and then served again in a big Romaine Lettuce leaf with more of the pizza mixture on top and some fire roasted tomatoes. Again outstanding!

My son tonight commented that he is not sure we are on a diet because he would gladly buy the last 2 nights meal out and think it was pretty cool eating LC out! I have to agree, I am loving revamping recipes to fit my medi life!

That is so cool! You should post the burger recipe on the recipe thread. It sounds delicious! This is exactly what I have found on this diet. It is a matter of figuring out how to make what you want. This is what is different with this than any other thing I have tried. I am eating foods that I really like and I am not walking away feeling deprived and unsatisfied. Congratulation on finding the secret. You will be successful and I am so excited for you.

Be sure to record the meals that you like so that you don't forget about them. It is really easy to get in a rut and forget all the delicious things you prepared before. Yeah! :clap:

Susie

crobyninc 04-21-2009 06:17 PM

Thanks Susie, I will post and yes I agree it is hard to remember great recipes! I am famous for forgetting about a great recipe actually! My family is always, "Please don't forget this one", when I come up with a good recipe. I have to admit Rachael Ray has been a great inspiration to my cooking and experimenting. Her food - minus all the pasta works well with our medi eating.

PS - Did the apples the other night and you are right the cool whip is ice cream! Great idea once again!

CurleyQ 04-22-2009 08:58 AM

General Recipe Discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDC2 (Post 11866541)
This is exactly what I have found on this diet. It is a matter of figuring out how to make what you want. This is what is different with this than any other thing I have tried. I am eating foods that I really like and I am not walking away feeling deprived and unsatisfied. Congratulation on finding the secret. You will be successful and I am so excited for you.

Be sure to record the meals that you like so that you don't forget about them. It is really easy to get in a rut and forget all the delicious things you prepared before. Yeah! :clap:

Susie

I agree. I love to cook and trying new ways to cook my old favorites is definitely helping me be successful. I like the use of Laughing Cow cheese to keep things creamy. I also love the turnip fries to go with a burger or hot dog. I actually like the turnip fries better than regular fries! I am using miracle noodles as my replacement for linguine or fettuccini in my recipes. It all seems to come together. I am going to play around with remaking some recipes over the weekend -with two little ones under 3, I only get small slots of time to do this.:stars:

I am also really interested in trying to come up with desserts. My husband eats jello, coolwhip, pudding, etc - he loved Susie's Cheescake Bites (#66). I don't like the consistency of those foods so I always feel like I get the raw deal on sweet treats! lol Oh well, maybe it is a good thing since sweets are my weakness. I ordered the Pampered Chef sprinkles that Jo mentioned in her Baked Apple Variation 1 post (#134). That is right up my alley to try to incorporate something like that. I will use it as a challenge to see what I can come up with!

Keep adding the recipes to the recipe thread, everyone!:up:

CurleyQ 04-22-2009 09:16 AM

Weeknight staples

The recipe thread can be a little overwhelming at first glance, so I thought I would share my weeknight staples in case anyone is stuck for ideas.
  • Susie's Breadless Philly Cheesesteak (#3) - this was the first recipe I tried in Week 2!
  • Susie's Faux Fries (#87) - I soak them in light cream and water for 1 hr first. I like these better than regular fries.
  • Susie's Chicken Picatta (#45)
  • McBoo's Spicy Thai Chicken (#10) tweaked to exclude the coconut syrup since I don't like the taste of the sucralose in the syrups.
  • Teacherdli's Parmesan Ranch Chicken (#56) with a little less Ranch mix to decrease sodium.
  • Jo's Grilled Salmon (#82)
  • Creamy Garlic & Herb Chicken w/Broccoli (#102)
  • Shrimp Scampi w/Miracle Noodles - I use the Walden Farms brand Shrimp Scampi sauce and add whatever veggie I am having that night to the pan.
I try to cut out some of the sodium when I can since I retain fluid if I just LOOK at a salt shaker!:down:

Jeffery's girl 04-23-2009 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurleyQ (Post 11869186)
The recipe thread can be a little overwhelming at first glance, so I thought I would share my weeknight staples in case anyone is stuck for ideas.
  • Susie's Breadless Philly Cheesesteak (#3) - this was the first recipe I tried in Week 2!
  • Susie's Faux Fries (#87) - I soak them in light cream and water for 1 hr first. I like these better than regular fries.
  • Susie's Chicken Picatta (#45)
  • McBoo's Spicy Thai Chicken (#10) tweaked to exclude the coconut syrup since I don't like the taste of the sucralose in the syrups.
  • Teacherdli's Parmesan Ranch Chicken (#56) with a little less Ranch mix to decrease sodium.
  • Jo's Grilled Salmon (#82)
  • Creamy Garlic & Herb Chicken w/Broccoli (#102)
  • Shrimp Scampi w/Miracle Noodles - I use the Walden Farms brand Shrimp Scampi sauce and add whatever veggie I am having that night to the pan.
I try to cut out some of the sodium when I can since I retain fluid if I just LOOK at a salt shaker!:down:

THANK YOU! Great list!
Sherrie

Desert-Rose7 04-23-2009 11:27 AM

I am working on some new ones. One is a Parfait dessert with berries. Another is a
Raspberry Cooler using Stevia instead of honey. Do not have the equivalents quite right on that one yet. And also working on a "faux crust" for my Baked Apple Variation 1.
I will pop them in the thread when they are all ready!

Jo

SDC2 04-26-2009 04:46 PM

Using Medi Discretion

Hi Medi Cooks,

I just wanted to post a word of caution to all the Medi site posters/readers. Please use your own discretion and judgement when you make the recipes. Anyone can post and not every recipe is perfectly Medi. If the recipe doesn't seem Medi compliant to you, check it out for yourself. I plug the ingredients into MyPlate - Food Diary & Food Calorie Counter | LIVESTRONG.COM and it tells me the nutritional information.

Some of the recipes are high if you have a full portion, but are okay if you have a partial portion as in the case with the pie crust. I find that sometimes I just need a little bit to be satiated.

Thanks to everyone who have shared their recipes. Please keep sharing and try to post the nutritional information along with the recipes. :up:

Susie

Ash347 04-26-2009 08:35 PM

walden farms

hey susie! quick question-
i havent been finding walden farms in orlando? where do you find it?
Thanks!
Ashley

SDC2 04-26-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash347 (Post 11889097)
hey susie! quick question-
i havent been finding walden farms in orlando? where do you find it?
Thanks!
Ashley

I have found Walden Farms products at Publix and Chamberlins. I'm not a huge fan of their products, but I know some people love them. I think McBoo has a good handle on what is good and what is not.

Susie

mathteacher 04-26-2009 09:14 PM

I have found them at Brunos. You can order them offline also. I do not like the dressings. The taste is terrible.

crobyninc 04-27-2009 05:20 AM

Hi Ashley

I live in the Tampa area and Publix carries a lot of Walden Farms products in their GreenWise Stores. There are a few items in that section of the store and then there are more in the refrigerated dressings section in Produce. I find the bigger the Publix store, the better the section for LC products and such.

Good luck. My family likes the No Calorie Bleu Cheese and Ranch dressings best. The no calorie ketchup and BBQ sauce do the job but are not like the real things.

crobyninc 04-27-2009 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDC2 (Post 11888216)
Hi Medi Cooks,

I just wanted to post a word of caution to all the Medi site posters/readers. Please use your own discretion and judgement when you make the recipes. Anyone can post and not every recipe is perfectly Medi. If the recipe doesn't seem Medi compliant to you, check it out for yourself. I plug the ingredients into MyPlate - Food Diary & Food Calorie Counter | LIVESTRONG.COM and it tells me the nutritional information.

Some of the recipes are high if you have a full portion, but are okay if you have a partial portion as in the case with the pie crust. I find that sometimes I just need a little bit to be satiated.

Thanks to everyone who have shared their recipes. Please keep sharing and try to post the nutritional information along with the recipes. :up:

Susie

Susie

That is pretty much what I have been doing with my recipes. Many have too many calories or more carbs than I want, but if I cut back on the portion then it will fall into my calorie needs. Since my family is eating along with me, they are not as concerned about the calories but more keeping their carbs lower. So for me many of recipes that I am using may not be Medi friendly for a whole portion but if I cut the portion size I am meeting the goals of the diet.

Just to clear up some of the confusion on the posted recipes.

hudiman 05-01-2009 09:23 AM

Susie,
A couple of your recipes call for mozzarella cheese melted in frying pan, are you using regular of the ff? FF doesn't melt well, correct?

SDC2 05-01-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hudiman (Post 11911931)
Susie,
A couple of your recipes call for mozzarella cheese melted in frying pan, are you using regular of the ff? FF doesn't melt well, correct?

I use the part-skim which has 5g of fat and 80 calories per 1/4 cup serving. I do not like fat free cheese. Those recipes call for 1/2 cup which would mean 10g of fat and 160 calories. I usually make those recipes once or twice a week, as they are higher in fat.

Susie

hudiman 05-01-2009 12:23 PM

Good, I don't like the FF cheese either and they wouldn't melt well, I don't think

SDC2 05-04-2009 03:44 PM

Crisping up those turnip fries

I found this on the Hungry Girl website. While we can't have butternut squash, I think the same ideas would apply to the turnip fries.

"One of the best tips I've heard, while on the HG book tour, is to place a cooling rack (or any open wire rack) over a baking sheet, spray it with nonstick spray, and lay the squash on the rack. This way the squash is being cooked on all sides and can "breathe" while cooking. That definitely helped make the fries crispier. BTW, salting your squash is also important -- it helps draw out the moisture. In fact, another Facebook fan recommended letting the squash sit on paper towels for 10 minutes after it's been salted, and then blotting up the excess moisture. That helped, too! So to sum it up, SALT 'em, let them SIT, DRY them, and then bake them on a rack."

Susie

hudiman 05-09-2009 05:38 AM

Quick question, can we use a little skim milk when making certain things, like scrambled eggs?

McBoo 05-09-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hudiman (Post 11947895)
Quick question, can we use a little skim milk when making certain things, like scrambled eggs?

Skim milk has a lot of carbs. You may want to try unsweeted almond milk the original flavor. It really doesn't add any taste to the recipe.

McBoo

crobyninc 05-09-2009 07:02 PM

I would use Almond Breeze instead of skim milk because of the carbs.