Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by irabeslim View Post
I use Xantham gum everywhere - in all recipes that call for corn starch, even in my protein shakes because I like them creamy. When they are like water it does not satisfy me.
I've used it in shakes too, but mainly for DH. For the most part I don't care all that much about the thickness of shakes. Even prior to Medi I was a pretty "plain Jane" cook, so never made too many sauces. Now I'm trying to make more new things. I even avoided making some of my old stand-bys because I couldn't thicken them right (like gravy, or some soups).

Txntv I have not tried Guar Gum YET......it's on my list to buy when I have a bit more $$$
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2011, 05:59 AM   #422
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baysidegal
Stats: 240/238/140
WOE: Medi-Weightloss-ish
Start Date: Re-start 8/29/14
Has anyone heard of Honey Flavoing?? I found a NO-CARB Crock Pot recipe book on Amazon and downloaded it to my Kindle. One of the recipes was for barbecue beef and called for the honey flavoring. I've been searching the internet but, can't find it. Would the Torini flavors work?
Baysidegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #423
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baysidegal View Post
Has anyone heard of Honey Flavoing?? I found a NO-CARB Crock Pot recipe book on Amazon and downloaded it to my Kindle. One of the recipes was for barbecue beef and called for the honey flavoring. I've been searching the internet but, can't find it. Would the Torini flavors work?
at one time Walmart had a SUGAR FREE honey I never tried it. Not sure if it's even still available. It looks like it MIGHT be available on Netrition
Old 03-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #424
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peagle
Stats: 305/218/160
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: February 22, 2011
We have a freezer full of wild game (venison, feral hog, duck, goose) and I'm needing some suggestions for Medi friendly recipes, especially the venison steaks. It's very, very lean and was a tough, old buck. I've been searing it using Butter-flavor Pam and then letting it simmer, covered for five minutes or so, but it's not as good, and still pretty tough in spite of tenderizing (pounding) prior to cooking. I've made jerky from the goose - it turned out excellent and makes for a nice, low cal snack. (I have to hide it from my daughter, and share sparingly with my husband, they love it!) Any tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Peagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #425
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peagle View Post
We have a freezer full of wild game (venison, feral hog, duck, goose) and I'm needing some suggestions for Medi friendly recipes, especially the venison steaks. It's very, very lean and was a tough, old buck. I've been searing it using Butter-flavor Pam and then letting it simmer, covered for five minutes or so, but it's not as good, and still pretty tough in spite of tenderizing (pounding) prior to cooking. I've made jerky from the goose - it turned out excellent and makes for a nice, low cal snack. (I have to hide it from my daughter, and share sparingly with my husband, they love it!) Any tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I was going to suggest jerky, but I see you're already doing that. IF you have (or can borrow) a pressure cooker it will work wonders! I'd marinate it (my Mom user to soak all game in milk to get rid of the gamey flavor) but then I'd brown the meat, and cook in the pressure cooker........you'll probably need to cook it around an hour (once the Pressure cooker gets up to pressure) so make sure you have added enough liquid (water, broth, wine, beer etc) It MIGHT not be fork tender but cooking this way will give you the MOST tender meat. You can always bring the pressure back up and cook longer. AFTER the meat has cooked, you can add potatoes (rutabagas are a GREAT low carb alternative) quartered onions, carrots, celery (for your family to enjoy) bring the pressure back up and cook the veggies (with or without the meat........I usually leave the meat in) for about 10-12 minutes. This is the ONLY way I cook roast beef, pork roasts etc now. IF you have questions feel free to PM me

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #426
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Mary, but unfortunately I don't have a pressure cooker and I've always been a bit timid about using one. My parents used to use one all the time when I was younger but had a mishap with it and let's just say, it went in the trash. But I will keep that in mind and look into possibly getting one with a little research. And, I don't think I can PM yet - not enough posts!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #427
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks, Mary, but unfortunately I don't have a pressure cooker and I've always been a bit timid about using one. My parents used to use one all the time when I was younger but had a mishap with it and let's just say, it went in the trash. But I will keep that in mind and look into possibly getting one with a little research. And, I don't think I can PM yet - not enough posts!
I hope you do look into buying one. The new ones (in the last 30 years) are VERY safe. I have 3. One is a Presto brand and is BIG. I also have one that is made by Fagor, and one that is a Futura. They all have lids that slide under some sort of a safety bar, and CANNOT build pressure at all if the lid isn't on right.

I lived in Colorado at high elevations and the pressure cookers were a life saver. Without one boiling potatoes that takes 30 minutes at sea level too about an hour and 15 minutes
Old 03-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #428
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txntv
Stats: 5'5" 169.5/131/140
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: March 25, 2010
Pressure Cooker

What's the advantage of a pressure cooker? I don't see many recipes calling for them. Though I'm a gadget freak, it's one appliance I just haven't figured it out.
txntv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #429
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txntv View Post
What's the advantage of a pressure cooker? I don't see many recipes calling for them. Though I'm a gadget freak, it's one appliance I just haven't figured it out.
ooooooh I LOVE my (3) pressure cookers. The biggest 2 things is that it makes even the cheapest, toughest cuts of ANY meat nice and tender......fork tender! It also cuts down on the cooking time. I don't know by what % but it cuts down the time a LOT!

Pressure cookers are used world wide, to save on fuel. In India they use them because of the reduced cooking time, and saves on fuel. They've been around for probably over a hundred years. At higher elevations they are necessary to cook, in a reasonable amount of time. You ALWAYS add fluid so it keeps food moist.

You can cook dried beans in 12 minutes, Potatoes in 10 minutes, (I KNOW we're NOT eating them on Medi, but many of us still cook for others) I cook roasts about 55-60 minutes......You CAN cook it less (like 40 minutes) and it will still be GREAT, but my family likes it "fall apart" tender.

At Christmas my DD made a spiced pear cheesecake in her pressure cooker. To do that, you need to have a large enough diameter pressure cooker to put another pan in it....DD used a small spring form pan as the insert.

I get excited about trying new things in my pressure cooker! I use it any time I could use a slow cooker (I do use that too) It's just super fast!

Last edited by Mary T8M; 03-16-2011 at 07:16 AM..
Old 03-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Mary - I actually looked at a Pressure Cooker last night while I was at Walmart. It was a WearEver 8 Qt., reasonably priced. It was the only one they had and I thought it looked too large - it's just mainly my husband and I. So, I'm thinking a 6 Qt. would probably be better. What's your thoughts?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #431
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Mary - I actually looked at a Pressure Cooker last night while I was at Walmart. It was a WearEver 8 Qt., reasonably priced. It was the only one they had and I thought it looked too large - it's just mainly my husband and I. So, I'm thinking a 6 Qt. would probably be better. What's your thoughts?
I probably use my 8 qt the most. It's easier to brown food in it, and to turn that food (roasts) over. My Presto is bigger yet, and I used to use it the very most, but now only use it for things like canning. My smallest one is my oldest maybe a 5 qt (Hawkins Futura....I saw the "Galloping Gourmet" using it, and saying this is the one used a lot in India) with it being just the two of us too, I use it for smaller things like chicken breasts, pork loin, beans (for guests). You have to remember to not fill it too full (there are markings to tell you how full is enough) so you get good pressure. So IF you're only thinking of getting one I'd go a bit bigger if you have room for it. IF the one you get has a pressure guage, it makes it easy to KNOW you're "up to pressure" because you have a guage with numbers.....HOWEVER you REALLY need to get it calibrated every couple of years. MANY do not have a guage but instead you can tell when it's "at pressure" because of the SOUND it makes.....chchchch (steam escaping) from the weighted valve "thingy"! Also with the bigger ones you could do things like cheesecake (for guests)
Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #432
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: VElite
Stats: 5'1.5" 219/198/150 for now
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 2/22/2011
Teacherdli's Crustless Pizza Hamburger Pie

Post #14 in the dinner recipes...
This was awesome, I thought I was cheating. I cooked it in mini loaf pans and it came out wonderful. I would have taken a picture but everyone was ready to eat and I had to put the little one to bed...... The only modification was I used 1 turkey burger patty cut up and 7 turkey pepperoni,(enough to cover the top of the mini loaf pan.
Layered from bottom to top in this order.
-1 turkey burger 160 cal
-1/2c no sugar pasta sauce 35 cal (4carbs)
-1/4c mushrooms
-1/4c NF mozzerella cheese 45cal
-7 turkey pepperoni 28cal
-and of course the italian seasoning/pepper
This is a good option esp if you have a workout day and you are allowed 600-7 calories for the day.
Mini Goal #1: Onderland!!
Mini Goal #2: Out of plus-size section of clothing store.

-=-=-=-=---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
VElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #433
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sleepygal7
Stats: 201/187/160
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 3/3/11
Candice's Low Carb Recipes

This website has some of the best desserts I've found in the low carb lifestyle! Enjoy!
sleepygal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #434
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grfxgrl
Stats: 5'4" - 213/192/134
Start Date: Restarting: 2/21/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepygal7 View Post
Candice's Low Carb Recipes

This website has some of the best desserts I've found in the low carb lifestyle! Enjoy!
Awesome!!! Thanks sleepy!!!

Anyone know where to Get almond flour and the like? I stood in the baking aisle at Harris teeter for at least half and hour looking for it. The only "special" flour they seemed to have was whole wheat

What about the xylitol?

Is this all stuff I could find at trader joes maybe??

Thanks guys!!
grfxgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #435
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sleepygal7
Stats: 201/187/160
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 3/3/11
Try Trader Joe's...that's where I am headed too!
sleepygal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #436
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kbhayward
Stats: 193/165.5/150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: restart 3/30/12
I know that Earth Fare also has it if you can't find it at Trader Joe's
kbhayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #437
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: reebs
Stats: 5'11/ 202/160/165 restart 5/2014: 188/188/165
WOE: Medi
Start Date: March 2011/ May 2014
I made the oopsie rolls tonight, however i did not have any xanthan gum. They came out really flat and didn't taste as good as I thought they would. Was leaving this ingredient out a major no no?
reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #438
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebs View Post
I made the oopsie rolls tonight, however i did not have any xanthan gum. They came out really flat and didn't taste as good as I thought they would. Was leaving this ingredient out a major no no?
No, it is not mandatory, it will help your whites to be stiffer. You need to make sure you whipped the whites stiff with the electric mixer. Cream of tartar is very helpful. Mine come out really good each time.
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #439
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: reebs
Stats: 5'11/ 202/160/165 restart 5/2014: 188/188/165
WOE: Medi
Start Date: March 2011/ May 2014
Thank you irina. I think I may have used too much cream of tarter and I'll try to get the eggs stiffer next time.
reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #440
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: secret_smile85
Stats: 184/176/110
Start Date: May 2011/RS April 2012
A question about the Peanut Butter Protein Bites. The recipe calls for chunky peanut butter. Can we use the regular PB2 and if I do change it out how much of the PB2 would I use? Thank you
secret_smile85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #441
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
I think I came up with the Peanut Butter Protein Bite recipe you are refering to. I've never tried the PB2, so I don't know. Play around with it and add something to make it a little moist I'd say. Good luck!
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:13 AM   #442
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret_smile85 View Post
A question about the Peanut Butter Protein Bites. The recipe calls for chunky peanut butter. Can we use the regular PB2 and if I do change it out how much of the PB2 would I use? Thank you
I tried it and it was a disaster. I tried it dry. Tried it wet and wasted a whole can of PB2. They're stick as heck and don't turn out right at all.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #443
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: secret_smile85
Stats: 184/176/110
Start Date: May 2011/RS April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntv View Post
I tried it and it was a disaster. I tried it dry. Tried it wet and wasted a whole can of PB2. They're stick as heck and don't turn out right at all.
Thanks so much!!! I'm so glad I hadn't tried yet. Sorry yours were a disaster
secret_smile85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:35 AM   #444
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret_smile85 View Post
Thanks so much!!! I'm so glad I hadn't tried yet. Sorry yours were a disaster
Now it paid off! I saved someone else from making a mistake.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #445
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kmattern
Stats: 155/141/125
Start Date: 6/17/2011
Where is the peanut butter protein bite recipe posted?
kmattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #446
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tellfair
Start Date: August 2011
Thank you SDC2 for posting the CurleyQ's Creamy Garlic & Herb Chicken w/Broccoli recipe. Had it today and it was great, I didn't have the creamy garlic Laughing Cow but used the swiss cheese wedge and it was great -- I think creamy texture was something I was missing in the recipes for far.

This one was a winner!
Tellfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #447
Junior LCF Member

I've now been trying the Hungry Girl "mug" recipes that Susie had put on the breakfast thread --- I made the basic one this morning and it was good and very low cal! Thanks so much, I'm not a natural cook so the recipes keep me from creating culinary disasters!
Old 09-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #448
Junior LCF Member

I made chicken enchilada casserole (recipe #119) on dinner thread. It was great. Mine actually came up with less calories but I'm not complaining. It was fantastic.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #449
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dawny95
Stats: 230.2/178.8/175
Start Date: August 27 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellfair View Post
I made chicken enchilada casserole (recipe #119) on dinner thread. It was great. Mine actually came up with less calories but I'm not complaining. It was fantastic.
I am going to go & check it out, Sounds good!
dawny95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #450
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MaraMom
Stats: 219.5/149.4/150 (5' 4")
Start Date: July 25, 2011
Yum! Made recipe #15, parmesan ranch fried chicken. It was wonderful to cut up over a salad and to eat hot out of the oven. The recipe doesn't have measurements or calories so I cut 3 chicken breasts in half and for each (then) 4 oz breast, I put 1 T parmesan cheese in with the ranch dressing powder. I also added 1 T of flax seed meal total and some monterey chicken spice by McCormick and mixed it well.

I put 3 T of egg whites in a seperate dish and it was more than enough to dip all breasts in. I also used 3 t. olive oil total to fry them all up. This isn't the recipe, just how what quantities I used in case someone want's to try it.

175 cal per 4 oz breast. Less than 1 carb and delicious. I'm going to check out the chick enchilada's next! Thx to those who posted recipes!
MaraMom is offline   Reply With Quote