Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CurleyQ
Stats: 260/220/160
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 3/22/09
Question for the women

Has anyone been spotting mid month since they have been on the program? I have never before, but all of a sudden it has happened. I am curious if this is related to the diet since it is the only thing that has recently changed for my body.
CurleyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Doobz
Stats: 178/154/152
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 2/28/09
Hey CurleyQ,

I have noticed that I have been spotting as well (which I never did prior to beginning this diet). My period is only 2-3 days oppose to 4-5 (which I won't complain about). I keep meaning to ask my clinic, but have forgotten thus far. I thought maybe it had something to do with consuming less sugar... Let me know if you or anyone has any insight!
Doobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 2009ismyear
Stats: Original start feb 1-- 208/158/150 --lost 30 b4
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: July 14
It is happening to me also...
2009ismyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, ladies. I am glad I am not the only one. I will ask about it today when I go to my weigh in and post back tonight.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shelfie
I started my period 2 weeks early right about the time I hit a 20 lb weight loss. I had it for three weeks straight...and much heavier than usual. This is pretty normal if you consider you are shocking your system....dieting and working out can have major affects on your period, but the only real harm could be anemia. I'm on the pill, and it is very important no matter how wacky your period gets to stay on your bc pill as normal. Checking with you gyn to make sure there is no other issues is also important, especially if you feel tired or weak....a sign of lack of iron.
shelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeffery's girl
Stats: 219.4/189/140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: February 09,2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobz View Post
Hey CurleyQ,

I have noticed that I have been spotting as well (which I never did prior to beginning this diet). My period is only 2-3 days oppose to 4-5 (which I won't complain about). I keep meaning to ask my clinic, but have forgotten thus far. I thought maybe it had something to do with consuming less sugar... Let me know if you or anyone has any insight!
Hey CurleyQ, I have been having a period every three weeks plus spotting in between since being on the diet. I thought the shots might help since I used to take a B complex everyday and had easier periods. My bloating and cramps are much worse than before. I hope someone has suggestions for us.
Sherrie
Jeffery's girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery's girl View Post
Hey CurleyQ, I have been having a period every three weeks plus spotting in between since being on the diet. I thought the shots might help since I used to take a B complex everyday and had easier periods. My bloating and cramps are much worse than before. I hope someone has suggestions for us.
Sherrie
I completely missed my period last month for the first time ever. I don't know if it is because of my age (49) or the plan. I just found out that I have other issues - had an abnormal pap and fibroids. They want me to retest in 6months. Please pray that everything is okay for me.

I feel better than I have in 10 years. Don't want to have health issues.

Susie
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Susie~
I would suggest getting more info on the fibroids. There is help for those. And you should not have to wait for 6 months either. I would also suggest a re-test on the pap.
At 49, it is also possible you are heading into perimenopause. That is a natural and normal happening. But please, for your sake, either go back to your ob-gyn or get a second opinion. In the meantime, sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: orlando2002
Stats: 217/177/160
WOE: Medi Weight loss clinic
Start Date: 3/11/09
Susie, I agree with Desert-Rose. If I were you, I will get a second opinion.

Why wait 6 months to re-check with a abnormal pap?

About the fibroids, I had 2 fibroids removed last year, I went to a great doctor who performed a robotic surgery and the recovery was great! In 2 days I was on my feet and bored at home

Maybe at 49 you are heading into perimenopause and your fibroids will tent to dry out during the menopause, but I am not a doctor, I am just telling you some of the information I was told when I was having those problems.

Go for the second opinion, 6 months is too much time for waiting .....

Good luck

Last edited by orlando2002; 04-13-2009 at 11:13 PM..
orlando2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
I completely missed my period last month for the first time ever. I don't know if it is because of my age (49) or the plan. I just found out that I have other issues - had an abnormal pap and fibroids. They want me to retest in 6months. Please pray that everything is okay for me.

I feel better than I have in 10 years. Don't want to have health issues.

Susie
Susie - Definitely get a second opinion. I don't know enough about perimenopause at this point (I am 36) or fibroids to give any advice, so I will just say prayers that all is well for you. Also, I will add that the last time I missed a period, I was pregnant...... hehe
Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Talked to the Physician's Assistant

I asked the PA about it at my visit yesterday and she has not heard of anyone spotting or messing up their cycles on the program, so she said she would ask the dietician at corporate. I told her I figured it might have to do with the major change in my diet over the last few weeks, but she was thinking it might be related to the supplements. She said she would look into it and get back to me. I am not overly concerned, just wanted to see what others are experiencing. I will let you know when I get more info.

Also, if anyone else thinks to ask at their next appointment, maybe clinics that have been open longer have seen this more frequently (mine is only open a couple months).
Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DOCProv
Stats: 225/197.5/160
Start Date: April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurleyQ View Post
Has anyone been spotting mid month since they have been on the program? I have never before, but all of a sudden it has happened. I am curious if this is related to the diet since it is the only thing that has recently changed for my body.
This can happen because of the weight loss alone. All the female sex hormones like estrogen and progesterone are fat-loving. As there is less fat to be had the volume of them increases in your circulation, this may cause havoc with your menstrual cycle. I have spoken to a few OB/GYN who say not to worry about it since it should resolve in due time. I have had patients experience both increased frequency of menstruation, shortened cycles or even missed menses. I wouldn't worry too much about it but if you are having any other symptoms like clotting, dizziness or fatigue I would recommend checking in with your PCP or GYN to see if you may require iron supplements or perhaps birth control. Good luck!
DOCProv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeffery's girl
Stats: 219.4/189/140
Start Date: February 09,2009
Deirdre,That is great info! I was somewhat concerned but everything checked out fine at my last ob-gyn.
Sherrie
Jeffery's girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fuelin'MyDreams
Start Date: 2/11/09
I had similar problems when I started Medi, too, and I am on Nuvaring. I started the program 2 days after my "TOM" was over. The 1st week I was fine, but had heavy bleeding for weeks 2 & 3. I asked my clinic & they said that it is perfectly normal. Your hormones are being "reset". Since then I have been back to normal.

Susie- I would definitely go get the 2nd pap now just in case. Plus, it will help clear your head. Take care of yourself!!
Fuelin'MyDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:30 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crobyninc
Stats: 335/243/180
WOE: Low carb and watching calories
Start Date: March 9 2009
Hi Susie

I am with everyone else and I am your age as well, but I have not had any issues persay, except I am not having hot flashes now and my TOM was extremely heavy. So heavy that I was thankful that I work from home because I don't think I could have worked in an office for 2 days...

But waiting six months seems a bit long to me. I would want to know more information.

Keep us posted on this and we truly care and worry.

Robyn
crobyninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LadyPelinore
oh great...

and my reproductive endocrinologist has me on Provera for a scheduled withdrawl bleed, too.

Le sigh.
LadyPelinore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
Ugh, I am having this issue too now! I had TOM 3 weeks ago and am on BCPs but now I have been bleeding for the past 9 days, pretty heavily. I'm really sick of it. I am just starting the 3rd week of my BCP pill pack so I should be nowhere near that TOM but here it is, I guess. NO cramping at all, just bleeding that is not stopping.

I am going to call my OB if this continues for much longer but I have the feeling that it is all hormone/weight loss related. Just not fun. I'm focusing on the 16lbs I have lost rather than this discomfort!
Mommy-2-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
You are doing the right thing, Jessica! Calling the doc for advice...be sure and let him know about the program, if you haven't already. I understand that this happens to a lot of women on the program....so call the doc and let us know how you are doing.

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crobyninc
Stats: 335/243/180
WOE: Low carb and watching calories
Start Date: March 9 2009
I have read on the main LCF web page that estrogen is stored in fat and as we lose the fat the estrogen is released. So if this is true, it would explain the changes in the TOM. But this is not good medical advice, I would call your OB/GYN and explain the diet and what is happening with your TOM.
crobyninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rach747
Stats: 181/170/130
WOE: MediWeightloss- Low Carb
Start Date: May 2009
Any time you go on a super-restrictive diet or workout regimine, your period can be affected. Annorexic girls NEVER get their periods and hard-core female athletes have reported losing it or having a drastic decrease in duration and symptoms. This is all part of your body's conservation efforts. In any event... enjoy the change!
Rach747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MEDIMIMI
Start Date: Starting over 1/29/10
I am so glad I found this thread! Iam just starting week 3 of Medi and I have been having some issues w/spotting and being pms-y and I am not due for TOM for another week. I asked today at my clinic and they told me that this "in no way relates to the diet" which is clearly false. I have been regular for 10 years and on BCP, I start a new diet and suddenly have an issue. I left there very frustrated, and feeling dismissed.

I just dont feel like the people at my clinic are very knowledgable. I mean, it does not take more then common sense to realize it is the diet effecting my cycle here.

Does this get better or is it going to continue for months?
MEDIMIMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rachel101
I had to same thing happen to me. I started a week early and had my period for 2 weeks. The clinic told me today that I might should call my gyno and switch pills! She said it probably wasn't the diet and my bc pills! What the? The doctor the week before told me it was the diet and not worry about it. How frustrating! I have always been regular too and never spotted in my life. I have finally stopped my period and getting back to normal. There is a new lady at my clinic and she seems clueless! I feel I know more than her! Scary!
rachel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:16 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Rachel what state are you in? I wonder if we go to the same clinic. Mine told me they have never heard this complaint from anyone. I am not feeling well, and off to work for a long day today. I am NOT looking forward to a longer TOM.

Thos on the program who are having issues, do you take the AS or not?

Will these issues resolve in a few weeks or months or will they continue?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:18 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rachel101
North Carolina. I was going to ask you the same question! I understand how frustrated you are! I am taking the AS, fat burner, and calcium. I was on it for 2 weeks straight, but have stopped now. Hopefully it won't start up again. You should start gettting back to normal. I have a friend who did the Medi plan and was on it for 1 month straight. It is cleary the diet! How frustrating to have a clinic tell you otherwise and that something is wrong with us. Thank goodness for this website! It has helped me answer so many questions the clinic can't! Good luck on your journey!
rachel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I am in Massachusetts, do alas, it is a different clinic. I am also very thankful that this thread has helped me find the answers about this or I would be at the doctors office freaking out! I am going to just hope it passes soon enough and goes back to normal!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
Hey ladies, just an update. The bleeding went on for about 2 weeks for me (not cramping, just never really going away). I had a brief 3 or 4 day break and then got to the end of my pack of BCPs and got my "real" TOM which was very light. After that, I started a new pack and everything has been normal so far.

So hang in there. If it goes on too long, of course call your gyn. But I was told by the clinic that it's my body adjusting to the loss of fat and they were right, it did eventually normalize. Lots of fun, though, huh.
Mommy-2-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

thank you for that update! I just need to hear that there is an end in sight. NOw I have hope. Haha.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ashleybashly
Stats: 162/146/126
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: May 2009
I am so glad I found this site! I'm on week 5 and so far I've had my period every other week. The clinic told me I should ask my doctor about changing my bc (i'm on the ring) but my pharmacist and my doctor both said it's the diet. I'm glad to read about others having similar problems so I know I'm not alone!
ashleybashly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:16 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LadyPelinore
I just had some random spotting and then business as usual.
LadyPelinore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Layna
Stats: 245/213/155
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 6/20/09
Anyone have Mirena?

Hey Ladies: I have Mirena BC IUD. Does anyone else use/have the same thing? I am curious if you are having any symptoms and would like to compare notes.
Layna is offline   Reply With Quote