Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: McBoo
Stats: 216/140/140 Now on Maintainance
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinics
Start Date: June 17, 2008
Alcohol

I have noticed in the past couple of days quite a few post that involve people consuming alcohol while on the medi weight loss plan. This is only my opinion but this will slow your weight loss down considerably. When I first started the plan I had several friends who were also on the plan. The ones that were successful did not consume alcohol. The ones who were unsuccessful continued to drink with the attitude well vodka has zero carbs and if I mix it with club soda that has zero carbs. Another one of my favorite rationalizations i can have a second drink if I just skip my veggies

None of the people who continued to drink on a regular basis have succeeded. They decided that they would rather drink than be healthy and lose the weight.

To those that do like to drink why not try a little experiement. Try not having a drink for a 2 week period and see what happens. See if your weight loss continues at the same pace or increases.

The medi weightloss plan is not cheap especially in these tough economical times but it does work and it works well when the plan is followed.

I am not a prude and do have an occassional drink since I have reached the maintainance phase.

If you have a SPECIAL ocassion by all means have a drink if you REALLY need to for whatever reason. Only you will know if that drink is necessary and should you decide to have it be prepared for any setbacks it may cause to your weightloss and don't use it has an excuse to say I already blew it so I might as well have more. I will get back on plan next week.

It is a downward spiral that is very hard to come back from.

Sorry if this sounds preachy as that is not the way it is intended. We are all adults and are responsible for our choices and any consequences from those choices.

This is just my opinion.
I really want everyone to succeed and reach their goals and become healthy.

McBoo

Good luck to everyone

Before and after Pics
http://www.slide.com/profile?puid=UY...S8QcfBRFZvgCG0

"Born right the first time"
"BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER"
"CANCER SUCKS"
McBoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
I am in total agreement with you on this, McBoo. In the very first pages of the material I received when I began the plan was this: (actually on page 5 in my packet)

Applicable to week one:
Absolutely no fruit, vegetables, salads, juices, candy, sugared breath mints, sugared gum, alcoholic beverages, biscuits, pasta, rice, beans. cereals, grits, macaroni, breads, desserts, French fries, or pizza.

Then, in tips for success, item number 12 (page 15 in my packet):
Remember how many calories are in alcoholic beverages. Light beers range from 95 to 115 calories per bottle. Regular beers vary from 120 to 190 calories per bottle. Four ounces of red or white wine ranges from 90 to 100 calories. One ounce of any grain alcohol, such as vodka or gin, contains around 125 calories each.

I am not a prude either, however, I have invested a great deal of money into this program, and I intend to succeed. I also enjoy an occasional glass of wine or a little brandy with hot water and a twist of lemon. I like a little Bailey's once in a while. None of these are going to help me lose weight, none of these are going to make me feel better about myself, and none of these are going to make the fact that I now need to look for a new job after being "displaced" (after 10 years with my company) disappear or hurt less.

So....for me, I have left the alcohol behind while I pursue the program. I do not miss it.
I do not crave it, and I do not need it. There are so many other choices that are good for me and far healthier for me. I will add, this is what works for me. It may not work for everyone. I made this choice for me.

I agree with McBoo, if you wish to enjoy wine, beer, or a drink, by all means do so. We are all responsible adults. Every choice has a corresponding consequence, good, bad or indifferent as the case may be. Only you know what will work best for you.

This is totally my own opinion. Take for what it is worth, accept it, discard it as you choose. To each his/her own.

I certainly do not stand in judgement of anyone, only of myself and my choices.

I, too, want everyone to be successful and happy. And reach their goals.

Take care and be happy!

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mathteacher
Stats: 207.5/159/140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: 2-2-08
I agree with both of you totally. I had given up drinking alcohol completely. Had not had a drink since I started Medi. I am not a big drinker, but I do like a beer or a bottle of wine. My beers last night were in celebration/stress relief. That is the only drift I have had from the plan. I weigh in tomorrow and I know it is not going to be as much as it should be, but all I can do now is make up for it. Alcohol will put the weight on you and it does mess you up when you are trying to loss.
mathteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JROOTA
Stats: 210/183/160
WOE: Medi-Weight Loss
Start Date: February 15th, 2009
I agree as well. I am up for an occasional beverage but the most important thing for me is to stay on the program, and be healthy. I know wine is one of the main reasons I packed on the pounds.
JROOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
I have noticed in the past couple of days quite a few post that involve people consuming alcohol while on the medi weight loss plan. This is only my opinion but this will slow your weight loss down considerably. When I first started the plan I had several friends who were also on the plan. The ones that were successful did not consume alcohol. The ones who were unsuccessful continued to drink with the attitude well vodka has zero carbs and if I mix it with club soda that has zero carbs. Another one of my favorite rationalizations i can have a second drink if I just skip my veggies

None of the people who continued to drink on a regular basis have succeeded. They decided that they would rather drink than be healthy and lose the weight.

To those that do like to drink why not try a little experiement. Try not having a drink for a 2 week period and see what happens. See if your weight loss continues at the same pace or increases.

The medi weightloss plan is not cheap especially in these tough economical times but it does work and it works well when the plan is followed.

I am not a prude and do have an occassional drink since I have reached the maintainance phase.

If you have a SPECIAL ocassion by all means have a drink if you REALLY need to for whatever reason. Only you will know if that drink is necessary and should you decide to have it be prepared for any setbacks it may cause to your weightloss and don't use it has an excuse to say I already blew it so I might as well have more. I will get back on plan next week.

It is a downward spiral that is very hard to come back from.

Sorry if this sounds preachy as that is not the way it is intended. We are all adults and are responsible for our choices and any consequences from those choices.

This is just my opinion.
I really want everyone to succeed and reach their goals and become healthy.

McBoo

Good luck to everyone
McBoo, when you're right you are right. I agree that alcohol can side track our weightloss efforts and cause us to go off track with both drinking too much and binge eating. I have been so careful to stay strickly on program and on the occassion that I do have a glass of wine I plan it into the program and limit the quantity so that I am still on program. I also drink a 20 ounce glass of water before and after drinking my glass of wine.

Just like any red light item we need to know ourselves and what sets us off. We need to practice moderation with everything we do and learn not to reward ourselves with food or drink. We are worth more than that.

Susie
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindysandia
Stats: 237 goal 125...size 16
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 12/09/2014
McBoo- I totally agree with you on this one!
cindysandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: orlando2002
Stats: 217/177/160
WOE: Medi Weight loss clinic
Start Date: 3/11/09
I am glad I do not drink alcoholic beverages to be happy!!! I do not need them ....

When I go out to a party, or dinner, I really enjoy the company and food (lol) more than alchohol ...

I prefer to drink water with lemon than wine ...

I agree the alcohol will slow down your weight loss ...

Good luck everybody!
orlando2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Time to bump this thread to the first page again.

McBoo
Old 06-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
I'm really glad you bumped this McBoo. I don't drink at all, never have and neither does my husband. I don't see that there is something "wrong" or innately bad in alcohol itself, but it seems like a choice that is totally unnecessary and often not healthy. My parents also don't drink and raise us with the thought that it's just not "needed". It doesn't enhance your life so why do it? Granted, they made lots of other mistakes but I'm glad that this was the way of thinking they gave us.

If you're going to choose to get healthier and lose weight, it seems like moderation, or at least cutting WAY back in this area would be a great thing to include!

Mommy to THREE sweeties, ages 4(g), 3(g), and 8 months(b)!

Lost 100 pounds on Medi in 2009! Gained it back during bedrest for a high-risk pregnancy Restart: January 2012!!

Week 1: -12.8 pounds
Month 1: -20.6 pounds
Month 2: -16.8 pounds
Mommy-2-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MEDIMIMI
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: Starting over 1/29/10
I really enjoy a good glass of wine every now and then. I am not a huge drinker, but sometimes I just need a good movie and a glass of wine to wind down. I have yet to have any alcohol since starting this program, but I also know that it would not be realistic to say I am not going to have any the whole time I am on this diet. In order for me to be successful on my journey, I will have to find a way to incorporate it into my journey as a once in a while thing.

Life is too short to put on hold "until I lose weight" while I am on this program, people will have birthdays, I will probably take vacations, and there will be weddings to attend. I know that I am not going to be 100% perfect all the time. I will make sacrifices to get to my goal. I am not going to miss the birthday cake and french fries,these i can live without, and won't be sad, and I can certainly bypass the mashed potatoes even though they smell delicious. There are a lot of things I can give up. But I think for a special occassion, I would be willing to have a glass of wine and take the hit for the week, should it slow me down. It certainly won't be a regular thing, but if I tell myself I CANT have it, I would be setting myself up for failure.

Last edited by MEDIMIMI; 06-19-2009 at 04:37 PM..
MEDIMIMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TXGRLY09
Stats: 155/139/115 (5'2")
WOE: MWL
Start Date: Orig. 6/19/09 Restart 12/29/11
I believe a lot of people who drink excessively are unhappy about something and need to block it all out to have a good time. Yet it's a double-edged sword. The more you drink the less you may remember you are overweight, but the more overweight you get. If you are willing to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars to get healthy, it just makes no sense. People who pressure you to drink in a social situation are not being your friend because they just don't want to be alone in their unhealthy choices.

Last edited by TXGRLY09; 06-20-2009 at 07:14 AM..
TXGRLY09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:20 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LadyPelinore
I'm totally in on this one...I had to have drinks for business reasons. I just ordered something that I knew I hated. One sip to be polite, and then I just casually held it, like it was a prop in some weird reality play. LOL.

~Anda
LadyPelinore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Justin1
Stats: 324.5/197/190
Start Date: 4/15/09
Anda that made me chuckle.
Justin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Bump
Old 07-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Layna
Stats: 245/213/155
Start Date: 6/20/09
I agree on this one BIG TIME. Alcohol was a big part of my social life before starting MWL, and it is central to our family culture. I have completely stopped drinking.

It has been interesting to see how everyone thought it was great to have me as a designated driver and I continued to be included in everything initially. Honestly, I found it boring. After a couple of drinks, they all start repeating themselves and generally talk rubbish. Now, I am not included anymore. I guess no one enjoyed me recalling the events that took place when everyone was under the influence.

Getting dropped so quickly and dramatically is a little surprising and disappointing on the family front to say the least. Good news is I do not miss alcohol at all and feel like I am in the process of significantly improving my life. It was common for my sisters and I to get together 3 nights a week, kill a few bottles of wine and talk up a storm. So, there is a social cost and I am a little lonely. But the change I am making is worth it. Next step is to find fun new ways to fill the hours that used to be spent talking over wine.

One moment can make all the difference in a life. In one moment you can decide, really decide and commit... "Never again!"
Layna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msdee54
Stats: 264/215/160
WOE: Atkins/HHCG
Start Date: July 7, 2009
Co-signing on all posts.

I had a drink last week after my 3rd week weigh-in.

I have completely eaten on plan minus that 1 drink and that cost me a whole week of weight loss.

I pay $85.00 a week...alcohol is not worth it.

If you or I cannot stay away from alcohol while doing this program we have a much bigger problem than some extra pounds.
msdee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdee54 View Post
Co-signing on all posts.

I had a drink last week after my 3rd week weigh-in.

I have completely eaten on plan minus that 1 drink and that cost me a whole week of weight loss.

I pay $85.00 a week...alcohol is not worth it.

If you or I cannot stay away from alcohol while doing this program we have a much bigger problem than some extra pounds.
That qualifies as an "epiphany moment", Dee! Congratulations

Jo
Old 07-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
Quote:
I agree, Dee, very well said. Alcohol is not a necessity for anybody's life!
Mommy-2-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layna View Post
I agree on this one BIG TIME. Alcohol was a big part of my social life before starting MWL, and it is central to our family culture. I have completely stopped drinking.

It has been interesting to see how everyone thought it was great to have me as a designated driver and I continued to be included in everything initially. Honestly, I found it boring. After a couple of drinks, they all start repeating themselves and generally talk rubbish. Now, I am not included anymore. I guess no one enjoyed me recalling the events that took place when everyone was under the influence.

Getting dropped so quickly and dramatically is a little surprising and disappointing on the family front to say the least. Good news is I do not miss alcohol at all and feel like I am in the process of significantly improving my life. It was common for my sisters and I to get together 3 nights a week, kill a few bottles of wine and talk up a storm. So, there is a social cost and I am a little lonely. But the change I am making is worth it. Next step is to find fun new ways to fill the hours that used to be spent talking over wine.
~Layna~How sad it is that people cannot recognize you for the truly unique person that you are. I have been there too. I rarely have any alcohol, maybe socially twice a year if that. I have gone through the period of time when all my "friends" did not include me any longer on Girls Night Out events, or any event at all. I do get invited to various events now and then, and even go sometimes, but I do not drink. And I have to agree that once people go past the point of no return, it is no longer an event I wish to be at anymore. And I generally leave early. It is truly a sad commentary on our times when people cannot get together and enjoy each other's company without overindulging whether it be food, alcohol or other substances that shall be unnamed.

Hang in there, you are doing so well, and you have your head on straight!

Jo
Old 07-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Justin1
Stats: 324.5/197/190
Start Date: 4/15/09
I enjoy indulging on some weekends. I try to choose smart things to drink so as not to ruin my week.

It is dangerous to play with because it can be a trigger for you to go off to taco bell and eat 4 days of calories in about 10 minutes .

I don't see the need to say that folks that enjoy drinking occasionally have a problem or a character flaw or some of the other negative things I've read in this thread and others.

Bacardi Superior + Diet Coke = 65'ish calories and no carbs. Your body will burn the alcohol for energy first before returning to burning fat.
Justin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Oh Justin, I in no way think that people that enjoy a drink now and then have a character flaw at all.

I am sure I said that if you cannot stay away from alcohol while on this program you may have more of a problem than just your weight. I didn't really see where anyone said that if you enjoy a drink now and then you've got a problem.

There is a marked difference btwn people who enjoy a drink or 2 occasionally or socially and those that have to have it. I know because I have a few alcoholics in my family. I love having a drink myself on occasion.

I wish I had your makeup where I could have a drink with friends and it not affect my weight but unfortunately for me , I found out the hard way that if I have 1 drink it will cost me a whole weeks worth of weight loss and that is not worth it to me personally.

As a matter of fact Bacardi & diet coke is my drink of choice but it bloats me up terribly and stalls me for over a week.

Last edited by msdee54; 07-27-2009 at 03:01 PM..
Old 07-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Layna
Stats: 245/213/155
Start Date: 6/20/09
Jo: Thx for your comment, means a LOT!
Layna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I re-read my post , when I said can't stay away I mean those that have to have it .

Not folks that choose to have a drink with friends or on social occasions.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crobyninc
Stats: 335/243/180
WOE: Low carb and watching calories
Start Date: March 9 2009
Layna

I quit drinking before I went on Medi because I kept getting heart burn from any alcohol that I drank. One glass of wine was enough to trigger 2 am heart burn. So I quit and I too notice exactly what you mentioned in your first post. The good thing is I feel healthy now, I don't miss alcohol and sometimes it is amusing to just listen to people! I am not judging or will I judge because I am guilty of all of the above!!!!

Cheers!
crobyninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvlonghorns
Stats: 5'6"/162/127.5/128-Maintenance since 10/8/09
WOE: MEDI-Weightloss
Start Date: July 9, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layna View Post

Layna, I hope things are getter better and less lonely for you. Have your sisters included you more since you wrote last month? Have you found some new activities and friends? I am going through similar circumstances here. After going cold turkey off alcohol and seeing those around me behave so poorly or out of control, I find I have no desire for it anymore - and I drank 2 scotch & sodas or 2 vodka & sodas every evening before starting MEDI. I'm Catholic and started drinking in the home at a very young age. Everyone did. I think I'll just accept the social changes that are happening as a part of the journey, a growing period in which I learn to let go of that crutch called alcohol while I'm also gaining health.
What's worse in my case is the fact that my mate can't seem to control his alcohol intake. It's awful. Really, it always has been. He'll polish off a 1.75 liter bottle of bourbon or vodka in under a week or 3 bottles of wine in a night. For years, I've tried to get him to cut back. If I try to alternate his alcoholic drinks with a non-alcoholic drink, he gets angry. I have to be very careful in how I handle him at night. He drinks to the point beyond stupidity and to the edge of violence. Then he never remembers anything. We constantly have to re-watch programs and movies we've already watched because he insists he hasn't seen them. After I spend time preparing dinner and sit to eat, he finishes and goes to bed before I even start cleaning up. I feel stronger knowing I am not a person who absolutely must have that drink (never dreamed of life without daily cocktails) - I just don't know how much longer I can stay in our home if he continues to love his alcohol more than he loves me and more than he loves himself. I think that's what it really boils down to.
luvlonghorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvlonghorns
Stats: 5'6"/162/127.5/128-Maintenance since 10/8/09
WOE: MEDI-Weightloss
Start Date: July 9, 2009
Hey, maybe I was throwing in the towel too soon. Last night, he finally agreed to alternate drinks with sparking mineral water with lemon. We had a really nice evening together! He even stayed awake and alert through a couple of hours of tv shows. Very nice...
luvlonghorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katew1129
Stats: 232/212/130
WOE: Medi-weight loss
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlonghorns View Post
Hey, maybe I was throwing in the towel too soon. Last night, he finally agreed to alternate drinks with sparking mineral water with lemon. We had a really nice evening together! He even stayed awake and alert through a couple of hours of tv shows. Very nice...
Very glad to hear this! I am Irish Catholic too and like you have been around drinking my while life...some drink too much...others just socially. I am a social drinker...one or two every once in a while...and still am...just much smarter drink choices now. I do hope things continue so positively for you!
katew1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:41 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crobyninc
Stats: 335/243/180
WOE: Low carb and watching calories
Start Date: March 9 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by katew1129 View Post
Very glad to hear this! I am Irish Catholic too and like you have been around drinking my while life...some drink too much...others just socially. I am a social drinker...one or two every once in a while...and still am...just much smarter drink choices now. I do hope things continue so positively for you!
I agree. Be patient and maybe he will see how great you are looking and want to improve himself as well. Getting fit and healthy has a contagious effect I have found.
crobyninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TXGRLY09
Stats: 155/139/115 (5'2")
Start Date: Orig. 6/19/09 Restart 12/29/11
So 2 months into this program and 17 lbs later I have noticed the past couple weekends which I've had a couple vodka sodas, I lost 1 lb or less that week. I do not over eat and I'm on Ketosis constantly, so it definately slows down the weightloss process because of the empty calories. I too was starting to feel lonely and left out after 5 weeks of saying no to Happy Hours and leaving girls' night before midnight because everyone's behavior started to get annoying. It's also not encouraging when you friends seem to find you more fun when you drink. So back to not drinking again for me. I have a wedding at the end of September in Hong Kong I would like to lose another 10lbs for which will not work while drinking.

Last edited by TXGRLY09; 08-19-2009 at 09:28 PM..
TXGRLY09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGRLY09 View Post
So 2 months into this program and 17 lbs later I have noticed the past couple weekends which I've had a couple vodka sodas, I lost 1 lb or less that week. I do not over eat and I'm on Ketosis constantly, so it definately slows down the weightloss process because of the empty calories. I too was starting to feel lonely and left out after 5 weeks of saying no to Happy Hours and leaving girls' night before midnight because everyone's behavior started to get annoying. It's also not encouraging when you friends seem to find you more fun when you drink. So back to not drinking again for me. I have a wedding at the end of September in Hong Kong I would like to lose another 10lbs for which will not work while drinking.
Hong Kong! That's exciting!!

Susie
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote