Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: corrinna
Stats: 253/238/140
WOE: Medi Loss/ Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
ok...so i guess this answers one of my questions. my friuend said she drank every weekend on her diet and still lost weight but i dont want to risk it honestly!
corrinna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjbee
Stats: 216.6/179/150
WOE: medi weightloss
Start Date: mar 17 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlonghorns View Post
Bre, I completely understand you problem - and it's not your problem but theirs. I too grew up in a home with alcohol readily available. I was taught to drink responsibly from a very young age (would probably get my parents arrested these days!). As alcohol was never made taboo and was openly enjoyed, I went off to college prepared - no puking my guts out, sleeping with entire fraternities while passed out, etc, for me.

I do like to drink a couple of scotch & sodas in fall/winter or a couple of vodka & sodas with lemon in spring/summer. But when I started MEDI, I completely dropped alcohol and had very good results. Then when my 30th high school reunion came, I planned in advance with my clinic for one cocktail each night, which I held myself to. Those 2 little cocktails threw me out of fat-burning ketosis for 4 days after drinking them. Definitely not worth it! (This also happened with raw cherries labor day weekend - we just have to track and watch what affects us.)

After that experience, I definitely will not to drink until maintenance, at the earliest. I know it is irritating to be around people who become idiots when they drink, but that's always been the case. So, nothing you can do about them. Decide in advance to not let their behavior have an adverse effect on you - it's just one or two nights to endure.

The one thing I have been able to get away with - without anyone really noticing - is to drink seltzer water, club soda, San Pellegrino, etc with lemon or lime. It looks like a serious cocktail. I place the order in a low, discreet voice and ask the waiter/waitress to "keep 'em coming". That way, once my order is placed, I don't have to keep repeating my order for a non-alcoholic beverage and I'm hydrating at the same time. I also don't ever challenge my portion of the bill because "I only had soda". It's a shame that the pressure is on to do that which will cause us to fail in what's really important to us. But the after-effect is just not worth it at this point.

Maybe you can get away with ordering a "serious-looking" non-alcoholic beverage too. I wish I had done so at my reunion!

-Jane
Hey guys there is a program called Al anon for the family of Alcoholics-really helpful free group
cjbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: blondie0781
Stats: 167/167/135
WOE: MWL
Start Date: February 18 2010
Im a hairstylist and we like to have fun as everyone probably knows. I was on Medi for 1 1/2 months and lost 19.8 lbs. I didnt drink at all the first month I was on the diet. All my friends said I was on the "B" list(boring list). I would still go out with them but like a post above after about midnight everyone started to get roudy and repetitive. I could not stand it! I then said ok well I will have 1 night a week at the most and have a couple drinks. After not drinking for a month all I needed was 2 to feel like I was having fun with everyone. The only drink I would have is Bacardi Superior and Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry. Very tasty. Everyone is different but those 2 drinks did not affect my weight loss at all. I was also exercising 5-6 days a week vigorously which probably helped me. I stopped the diet b/c I found out I was pregnant. I unfortunatley lost the baby 6 weeks in and decided to indulge in everything I stopped while I was on the diet (booze and carbs) and realized how much better I felt physically and emotionally not drinking at all. Im excited, today is my 1st day back on Medi and cant wait to get into my bikini when summer starts. That bikini is what is keeping me strong! Just remember "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!"
blondie0781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 4/26/2010
I went to a party Saturday night and wasnt even tempted to drink, itwas nice I stuck with Crystal light and water. I know that when i reach my goal i can have a drink here and there but right now if Im gonna cheat it wont be on a drink, considering itll take more than just one to give me a buzz. Im not paying 70 $ a week to blow it in one night.
Ortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 4/26/2010
Tomorrow night Im going to a bar in NYC with a group of big drinkers. I dont want to go off plan but I feel like the night will be a bit of a bummer if I dont have at least one drink (I dont need to drink tohave a good time, but Im also not paying train and hotel rates to stand around with a seltzer...). Especially when the whole night will be at the bar.

If you WANT a drink, what can it be? Pre plan Id drink vodka/seltzer with a splash of cran. I dont have a ton of money to spend anyways and Im mostly going because I havent seen these guys in a while (an added plus, they havent seen the weight I lost... lol) I figure I just wont eat any carbs the rest of the day (No bars or anything...) and get a good workout the day after since Im going right from work Friday.

Any suggestions for other lite/semi exciting drinks?

Mini Goal - 130 by 10/30
Ultimate Goal - 120 by the end of the year.
Ortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
If I were in your shoes, I'd probably stick with something simple like a clear liquor and diet coke. I wouldn't get anything too tasty or you'll want more. I had a vodka and diet coke a couple of months ago. I asked for just one shot in a tall glass so it lasted longer. I don't particularly like that combination so it didn't make me want more than the one. Then I just asked for refills on diet coke!

As a side note, I made margaritas on Mother's Day out of the Stella Style cookbook. It was water, ice, fresh lemon & lime juice, splenda, and some clear high quality tequila. Best margarita ever to me since I hate those sickly sweet ones in the restaurants. I don't suggest doing this frequently though because it sabotaged me that night and I overate. For a treat though...

In Wellness as of 6/4/2010!
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katew1129
Stats: 232/212/130
WOE: Medi-weight loss
Start Date: January 2013
I have socially drank on medi since I started a year ago. When I drink I have cherry vodka, club soda and a lime. I love it! Like Erin, I ALWAYS order a single in a tall glass. You get a lot more water and the drink lasts a lot longer. Have fun!
katew1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I had a glass of wine a few weeks ago, the doctor at my clinic actually told me that it was fine, and I trusted her. I was going to a formal dinner in a fancy country club for the board of directors at my dh's work. I just sipped on it all evening and never let them refill my glass. I was still in ketosis the next day.

I am really only a 3-4 glass of wine a YEAR kind of girl anyway, so drinking doesn't tempt me.
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

My doctor also said wine/alcohol in moderation is fine. My problem is - I can't stop with just one when it comes to wine! No, I'm not an alcoholic but I just absolutely love red wine like I do chocolatey desserts and one will definitely lead to another and sometimes even another after that. Then the next day I'm SUPER hungry and it just sabotages me all the way around. Red wine is a trigger - like fritos. I can't have it in the house!
Old 05-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I've learned on this WOE that you have to find what works for you and stick with it. I can't eat almonds anymore because that was a trigger food for me, but a small glass of wine isn't a temptation so a rare one doesn't do anything against me. The trick is to find what works for you, and not compare yourself to others.
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Case in point - I haven't stopped eating all day today! I had 3 glasses of wine last night and it's caused me to over do the entire day today. Be very careful when you drink! If you're like me, it makes it sooo hard to get back on track! Off to the store and to plan my next 3 days. I'm going to really try to get back into ketosis because I've been out for over a week now and haven't been able to get back in.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: moxie73
Stats: 200/173/120
WOE: Medi-weight loss
Start Date: April 15, 2010
three words.....
Skinny Girl Margarita.
moxie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Justin1
Stats: 324.5/197/190
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 4/15/09
Justin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom on a mission
Stats: Ht 5' 7" 247/156.4/160
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 2, 2010
Baja Bob's mixes are great!!! I've only had 2 occasions to have them and they didn't disappoint. Tried Original Margarita & Mai Tai... Both delish!! I even had them sans alcohol just to "feel like" I was having a drink
Mom on a mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Got this in my email box today - very much needed! Thought I'd share! Just remove the spaces.

http:// www. livestrong. com/ article/ 126358-just-bad-alcohol-weight-loss/