Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvlonghorns
Stats: 5'6"/162/127.5/128-Maintenance since 10/8/09
WOE: MEDI-Weightloss
Start Date: July 9, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGRLY09 View Post
So 2 months into this program and 17 lbs later I have noticed the past couple weekends which I've had a couple vodka sodas, I lost 1 lb or less that week. I do not over eat and I'm on Ketosis constantly, so it definately slows down the weightloss process because of the empty calories. I too was starting to feel lonely and left out after 5 weeks of saying no to Happy Hours and leaving girls' night before midnight because everyone's behavior started to get annoying. It's also not encouraging when you friends seem to find you more fun when you drink. So back to not drinking again for me. I have a wedding at the end of September in Hong Kong I would like to lose another 10lbs for which will not work while drinking.
Hang in there, TXGIRLY! It will be so worth having those extra pounds off before heading to Hong Kong and seeing people at the wedding. How fabulous for you to such a great trip to look forward to. That's got to be motivating! Hong Kong is my Mom's favorite, but I've never been. I'm jealous!
luvlonghorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: McBoo
Stats: 216/140/140 Now on Maintainance
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinics
Start Date: June 17, 2008
Bumping the thread. Since it is a long weekend and these seem to be the times when trouble creeps in.

McBoo
McBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: arabrider
Stats: 224/178/150
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: July 25th 2009
Thanks Boo, I needed to reread some of the posts here as I am going on a cruise in a couple of weeks and was feeling "deprived" on not being able to have a drink.
But, Jo's post really hit me, also the fact that I am spending a GREAT deal of $ this time and committed to the process, why would I sabotage myself?
I will be fine with water with lemon! Diet Coke with Lime will be ok as well, actually I love diet ginger ale and with a slice of orange, lemon and a cherry it will "look" just like the fruity alcohol drinks anyway!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bre321
Stats: 5'8" 224/ 151.4/ 160
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: August 25, 2009
Great thread! I have a dilemna (which may take a long post) that I could use all of your expert advice on:

I am going to my fiance's brother's wedding (my future brother-in-law) at the end of September. My fiance and I have not seen his family yet since we got engaged a month ago (they live over 1,000 miles away). I set a mini goal when I started MWL (about 2.5 weeks ago) to be down 15lbs before we head to the wedding. It looks like I should be able to reach that goal!

Anyway, just for some background: I am 22 years old and most people my age do not know how to socialize without alcohol (sad, I know). I have to admit- I enjoy drinking, but I can take it or leave it. I grew up around quality beer, wine and spirits- as my father is an alcoholic beverage writer, and always has a stocked bar. My dad set a great example for us- even though his job revolves around alcohol I have never seen him drink more than 2 drinks in a night. He taught us to appreciate alcohol in moderation and I have had no problem giving it up these past few weeks.

Here is where the dilemna arrises: My fiance's family and most of our friends (some that I have not seen since high school) that will be at the wedding, tend to drink to get drunk- especially at an event like a wedding. I am going to the bachelorette party (which is basically a bar crawl), the rehearsal dinner and the wedding and I am really nervous.

I feel nervous not because I think I can't resist alcohol, because I absolutely can. I am nervous because I think that those around me will point out that I am not drinking constantly. I know it sounds strange, but I have been around them when they have poked fun out of others for not drinking. I think that they equate people that drink with people that are fun. I want to be there to support my fiance's brother and celebrate his marriage- I do not think that I need alcohol in order to do that.

Furthermore, I think that when I am out at the bachelorette party I am going to have a hard time motivating myself to stay awake and to stay positive when every one around me will be drunk and probably unreasonable.

Before I read this thread I was planning on having vodka tonics, maybe two or three over the course of the 4 day weekend. But now that I see that it sets you back I am not going to. I have worked so hard over these past few weeks and I am starting to see a difference in myself- a vodka tonic is not worth it (period!).

Now that I have decided not to drink, I need some real advice. What do you all think that I should do in order to avoid all of the comments and ridicule. Also, my fiance's sister is the first person to point out everyone else's flaws. I am worried that she is going to embarass me infront of the other family members and friends. I want to have something that I can say that can disarm people around me. I also want some advice on how the heck I can not be annoyed by so many drunk people!

I know that the people who really care about me will support me. My fiance has been really supportive, but he will not be with me at the bachelorette party (obviously)- and he is the best man so I will not be sitting at his table at the wedding. Without him there to stand up for me I am really worried.

If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate them!

Thanks for the constant support!

"Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely."

Bre
Bre321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katew1129
Stats: 232/212/130
WOE: Medi-weight loss
Start Date: January 2013
Bre, I responded to you in the September forum!
katew1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvlonghorns
Stats: 5'6"/162/127.5/128-Maintenance since 10/8/09
WOE: MEDI-Weightloss
Start Date: July 9, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bre321 View Post
Great thread! I have a dilemna (which may take a long post) that I could use all of your expert advice on:

I am going to my fiance's brother's wedding (my future brother-in-law) at the end of September. My fiance and I have not seen his family yet since we got engaged a month ago (they live over 1,000 miles away). I set a mini goal when I started MWL (about 2.5 weeks ago) to be down 15lbs before we head to the wedding. It looks like I should be able to reach that goal!

Anyway, just for some background: I am 22 years old and most people my age do not know how to socialize without alcohol (sad, I know). I have to admit- I enjoy drinking, but I can take it or leave it. I grew up around quality beer, wine and spirits- as my father is an alcoholic beverage writer, and always has a stocked bar. My dad set a great example for us- even though his job revolves around alcohol I have never seen him drink more than 2 drinks in a night. He taught us to appreciate alcohol in moderation and I have had no problem giving it up these past few weeks.

Here is where the dilemna arrises: My fiance's family and most of our friends (some that I have not seen since high school) that will be at the wedding, tend to drink to get drunk- especially at an event like a wedding. I am going to the bachelorette party (which is basically a bar crawl), the rehearsal dinner and the wedding and I am really nervous.

I feel nervous not because I think I can't resist alcohol, because I absolutely can. I am nervous because I think that those around me will point out that I am not drinking constantly. I know it sounds strange, but I have been around them when they have poked fun out of others for not drinking. I think that they equate people that drink with people that are fun. I want to be there to support my fiance's brother and celebrate his marriage- I do not think that I need alcohol in order to do that.

Furthermore, I think that when I am out at the bachelorette party I am going to have a hard time motivating myself to stay awake and to stay positive when every one around me will be drunk and probably unreasonable.

Before I read this thread I was planning on having vodka tonics, maybe two or three over the course of the 4 day weekend. But now that I see that it sets you back I am not going to. I have worked so hard over these past few weeks and I am starting to see a difference in myself- a vodka tonic is not worth it (period!).

Now that I have decided not to drink, I need some real advice. What do you all think that I should do in order to avoid all of the comments and ridicule. Also, my fiance's sister is the first person to point out everyone else's flaws. I am worried that she is going to embarass me infront of the other family members and friends. I want to have something that I can say that can disarm people around me. I also want some advice on how the heck I can not be annoyed by so many drunk people!

I know that the people who really care about me will support me. My fiance has been really supportive, but he will not be with me at the bachelorette party (obviously)- and he is the best man so I will not be sitting at his table at the wedding. Without him there to stand up for me I am really worried.

If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate them!

Thanks for the constant support!
Bre, I completely understand you problem - and it's not your problem but theirs. I too grew up in a home with alcohol readily available. I was taught to drink responsibly from a very young age (would probably get my parents arrested these days!). As alcohol was never made taboo and was openly enjoyed, I went off to college prepared - no puking my guts out, sleeping with entire fraternities while passed out, etc, for me.

I do like to drink a couple of scotch & sodas in fall/winter or a couple of vodka & sodas with lemon in spring/summer. But when I started MEDI, I completely dropped alcohol and had very good results. Then when my 30th high school reunion came, I planned in advance with my clinic for one cocktail each night, which I held myself to. Those 2 little cocktails threw me out of fat-burning ketosis for 4 days after drinking them. Definitely not worth it! (This also happened with raw cherries labor day weekend - we just have to track and watch what affects us.)

After that experience, I definitely will not to drink until maintenance, at the earliest. I know it is irritating to be around people who become idiots when they drink, but that's always been the case. So, nothing you can do about them. Decide in advance to not let their behavior have an adverse effect on you - it's just one or two nights to endure.

The one thing I have been able to get away with - without anyone really noticing - is to drink seltzer water, club soda, San Pellegrino, etc with lemon or lime. It looks like a serious cocktail. I place the order in a low, discreet voice and ask the waiter/waitress to "keep 'em coming". That way, once my order is placed, I don't have to keep repeating my order for a non-alcoholic beverage and I'm hydrating at the same time. I also don't ever challenge my portion of the bill because "I only had soda". It's a shame that the pressure is on to do that which will cause us to fail in what's really important to us. But the after-effect is just not worth it at this point.

Maybe you can get away with ordering a "serious-looking" non-alcoholic beverage too. I wish I had done so at my reunion!

-Jane
luvlonghorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katew1129 View Post
Bre, I responded to you in the September forum!
Me too

McBoo
Old 10-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

BUMP

McBoo
Old 10-31-2009, 08:44 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rochelle91214
Stats: 207/176/150
Start Date: October 23, 2009-Restarted on July 7, 2010
I had a similar situation to Bre last night. It was my cousin's birthday and we were all going to dinner and then out afterwards. I was nervous because whenever we go out, we always get drinks. I didn't really want to tell them about being on Medi yet, so I was a little nervous as to what they were going to say when they saw me not drinking and eating only a salad with grilled chicken. I was also nervous of trying to resist the delicious food they ordered and the drinks. But I am happy and proud to say that I stayed strong and did not slip at ALL! I had diet coke and a delicious salad with grilled chicken and only ate half. I feel SO good today knowing that I did not set myself back by eating the wrong things or by having a drink. Now that I did it once, I feel like I can do it all the time when I go out. Thanks for all the advice and stories in this thread, it really helped me to stay strong!!!

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"
Rochelle91214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shanlock
Stats: 5'7" 257/219.4/200 is 2nd mini-goal
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: September 29, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochelle91214 View Post
I had a similar situation to Bre last night. It was my cousin's birthday and we were all going to dinner and then out afterwards. I was nervous because whenever we go out, we always get drinks. I didn't really want to tell them about being on Medi yet, so I was a little nervous as to what they were going to say when they saw me not drinking and eating only a salad with grilled chicken. I was also nervous of trying to resist the delicious food they ordered and the drinks. But I am happy and proud to say that I stayed strong and did not slip at ALL! I had diet coke and a delicious salad with grilled chicken and only ate half. I feel SO good today knowing that I did not set myself back by eating the wrong things or by having a drink. Now that I did it once, I feel like I can do it all the time when I go out. Thanks for all the advice and stories in this thread, it really helped me to stay strong!!!
Good for you!!!
shanlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: malloryann11
Stats: 185/179.6/160
WOE: MWL
Start Date: November 3, 2009, Restart Aug. 24 2010
As a college student alcohol is a sticky subject with me... I have made the promise to myself not to drink until maintenance:
1- because I refuse to ruin all my work for something un-necessary.
2- with my calories being lowered I am not sure how much I can drink without getting sloppy (so un classy)

I DO go to parties however I take a red cup right to the sink for water. I am the D.D. and with the red cup I don't look like a loser haha
At bars diet coke all the way... it helps I am still only 20 and can't drink at bars anyway

Going to lose more this time!
Ultimate goal... see the 150's!!!
malloryann11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:56 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sh2446
WOE: mediweightloss
It's so good to read all of these positive posts about refraining from alcohol. I'm a newbie and on day 5. I had to take a hard look at my self on day one when I reached for my habitual evening night cap. I just can't afford to sabotage this whole thing. At first I thought it was going to be impossible since my drinking was over the limit at times. But I am pleasantly surprised to say I feel great. I'm in ketosis and off alcohol. I can't wait to see the scale over the next few weeks. I am planning on drinking grape flavored crystal light in a wine glass on Thanksgiving.

Last edited by sh2446; 11-24-2009 at 01:57 AM..
sh2446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 AM   #43
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Hi, McBoo

I'm not on the Medi-Weight Loss Plan but I do know that alcohol is one of the main reasons why I regained some of my weight back over the past few months. For the past 11 days I've abstained from alcohol per my trainer's suggestion and for my sake. It isn't easy when your friends think you'll fold and in a big way. Makes you realize some new friends may be in order! LOL
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheri7760
Stats: 168/142/140
Start Date: 7/31/09
Ahhh dont worry MWL friends there is hope and you can do it if you want to! I was a recreational boater and partying on the water and tossing back a few cocktails was a normal occurance. Since I started MWI, I really have not drank, I knew what was more important, weight off or having that cocktail. Weight off won with me every time. Dont get me wrong I would love to toss a few back at times but really come back to do you really want it..... I dont deny myself anything on this plan, if I want it I have it and know the price I may pay....But usually I end up saying no..... Since I started I did have a glass of wine and one glass of wine I was quite happy, and that did satisfy my need. The holidays will be alittle more challenging but my moto is if you really want it have one and know that you will have to work hard the next few days to pay the price of that drink. Just might not be worth it BUT it is worth it when you look in the mirror and smile or you notice that you have turned a few heads!! Best of luck to all with the holidays!
Sheri7760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
The choices you make are the choices you will live with....good - bad - or indifferent - they are YOUR choices. It is your life, your health, your program, your money.

I have never felt deprived, or left out of the "action" or any other negative thing with this program. It works if you commit and do not look for ways around the program guidelines. But as with anything else, whatever choice you make, it is ultimately YOUR choice. Be responsible for yourself and your choices and your program. Whatever else you do, be responsible and accountable.

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Hey Everyone: During the Holidays (Especially New Years Eve) alcohol is very prevalent. While most on plan (including myself) has chosen not to drink, it is a part of this time of the year. Planning is everything to this diet so today I got this from the South Beach Diet email. I follow Medi, but SBD has good tips! Here is what they say on drinking alcohol:

1. Don’t drink too early in the evening because you may be tempted to have several drinks, and the calories start to add up.

2. Do alternate with seltzer and water to stay properly hydrated. You can also add seltzer to your wine for a refreshing spritzer.

3. Do eat a nutritious meal or snack containing lean protein before you start drinking. The protein helps to stabilize blood sugar and prevent cravings.

4. Do opt for red wine over white. Red wine is a better choice because it contains higher amounts of the powerful antioxidant resveratrol, which is found in grape skins.

5. Don’t go for regular beer; stick with light beer and drink it with meals.

6. Do choose extra-brut champagne, which has no added sugar or very little added sugar. Brut and extra-dry varieties of champagne have only a little more added sugar and are acceptable second choices.

7. Do choose sugar-free mixers for cocktails. Sugar-free sodas, flavored waters, vegetable-juice cocktail, diet tonic, club soda, or seltzer are your best bests. Be sure to avoid regular sodas, regular tonic, and fruit juices. Another tip? Use sugar-free powdered drink mixes to make punch or other fruit-flavored cocktails.

8. Do top your drink with garnishes like lemon and lime wedges, olives, or celery, but skip maraschino cherries, which are packed with sugar.

Here’s a rundown of alcoholic drinks to enjoy and avoid:

Enjoy:

* Red and white wine (one serving = 4 to 5 oz.)
* Champagne (one serving = 4 to 5 oz.)
* Vodka (one serving = 1 1/2 oz., which is a standard shot glass)
* Gin (one serving = 1 1/2 oz.)
* Rum (one serving = 1 1/2 oz.)
* Bourbon (one serving = 1 1/2 oz.)
* Light beer (one serving = 12 oz.)

Avoid:

* Regular beer
* Brandy
* Port wine
* Liqueurs (including Kahlua, Baileys Irish Cream, Amaretto, Grand Marnier, schnapps, etc.)
* Sherry
* Wine coolers (often contain a lot of added sugar)

For the whole article: Alcohol Guidelines and the South Beach Diet - Learn Alcohol Guidelines and the South Beach Diet
Old 12-08-2009, 04:41 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JStasinos
Stats: 179/160/135
Start Date: Jan 09, took break, back on 7/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloryann11 View Post
Hey Everyone: During the Holidays (Especially New Years Eve) alcohol is very prevalent. While most on plan (including myself) has chosen not to drink, it is a part of this time of the year. Planning is everything to this diet so today I got this from the South Beach Diet email. I follow Medi, but SBD has good tips! Here is what they say on drinking alcohol:

1. Don’t drink too early in the evening because you may be tempted to have several drinks, and the calories start to add up.

2. Do alternate with seltzer and water to stay properly hydrated. You can also add seltzer to your wine for a refreshing spritzer.

3. Do eat a nutritious meal or snack containing lean protein before you start drinking. The protein helps to stabilize blood sugar and prevent cravings.

4. Do opt for red wine over white. Red wine is a better choice because it contains higher amounts of the powerful antioxidant resveratrol, which is found in grape skins.

5. Don’t go for regular beer; stick with light beer and drink it with meals.

6. Do choose extra-brut champagne, which has no added sugar or very little added sugar. Brut and extra-dry varieties of champagne have only a little more added sugar and are acceptable second choices.

7. Do choose sugar-free mixers for cocktails. Sugar-free sodas, flavored waters, vegetable-juice cocktail, diet tonic, club soda, or seltzer are your best bests. Be sure to avoid regular sodas, regular tonic, and fruit juices. Another tip? Use sugar-free powdered drink mixes to make punch or other fruit-flavored cocktails.

8. Do top your drink with garnishes like lemon and lime wedges, olives, or celery, but skip maraschino cherries, which are packed with sugar.

Here’s a rundown of alcoholic drinks to enjoy and avoid:

Enjoy:

* Red and white wine (one serving = 4 to 5 oz.)
* Champagne (one serving = 4 to 5 oz.)
* Vodka (one serving = 1 1/2 oz., which is a standard shot glass)
* Gin (one serving = 1 1/2 oz.)
* Rum (one serving = 1 1/2 oz.)
* Bourbon (one serving = 1 1/2 oz.)
* Light beer (one serving = 12 oz.)

Avoid:

* Regular beer
* Brandy
* Port wine
* Liqueurs (including Kahlua, Baileys Irish Cream, Amaretto, Grand Marnier, schnapps, etc.)
* Sherry
* Wine coolers (often contain a lot of added sugar)

For the whole article: Alcohol Guidelines and the South Beach Diet - Learn Alcohol Guidelines and the South Beach Diet

Thanks for the tips. I myself have cut out my daily glass of wine, but also know that over the holidays or a few other social functions, I may still want a drink. I had a holiday party this past Saturday, drank several glasses of water before I went, ate all medi-friendly appetizers, shrimp, cheese, pepperoni, scallops, seared tuna, etc...did allow myself one drink of vodka & soda, and remained in ketosis and still had an excellent loss for the week.

MWL is a commitment for life, have to make it work for my life.
JStasinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

I have been having one glass of Brut Champagne every once in a while and have not been thrown out of ketosis
Old 12-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nomorerolls
Stats: 169/169/129
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/25/14
...so close to your goal...WAY TO GO! HANG TOUGH! There truely is no place like home for the Holidays!
nomorerolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
*.*Alcohol and Weight Loss - Can you have both?*.*

Here is some good information about alcohol and the effects on your body. With Christmas and New Years close on the horizon, I thought it was a timely article.

Alcohol and Weight Loss - Can You Have Both?

Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins that need to be slowly digested in the stomach—but not when alcohol is present. When alcohol is consumed, it gets special privileges and needs no digestion. The alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall as soon as they arrive and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This reaction is slightly slowed when there is also food in your system, but as soon as the mixed contents enter the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first place and is absorbed quickly. The alcohol then arrives at the liver for processing. The liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. Therefore, the carbohydrates (glucose) and dietary fats are just changed into body fat, waiting to be carried away for permanent fat storage in the body.

Alcohol is a diuretic, meaning that it causes water loss and dehydration. Along with this water loss you lose important minerals, such as magnesium, potassium, calcium and zinc. These minerals are vital to the maintenance of fluid balance, chemical reactions, and muscle contraction and relaxation.

Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram and offers NO nutritional value. It only adds empty calories to your diet. Why not spend your calorie budget on something healthier?

Alcohol affects your body in other negative ways. Drinking might help induce sleep, but the sleep you get isn't very deep. Ultimately, as a result, you get less rest. Alcohol can also increase the amount of acid that your stomach produces, causing your stomach lining to become inflamed. Over time, excessive alcohol use can lead to serious health problems, including stomach ulcers, liver disease, and heart troubles.

Alcohol lowers your inhibitions, which is detrimental to your diet plans. Alcohol actually stimulates your appetite. While you might be full from a comparable amount of calories from food, several drinks might not fill you up. On top of that, research shows that if you drink before or during a meal, both your inhibitions and willpower are reduced. In this state, you are more likely to overeat—especially greasy or fried foods—which can add to your waistline. To avoid this, wait to order that drink until you're done with your meal.

Many foods that accompany drinking (peanuts, pretzels, chips) are salty, which can make you thirsty, encouraging you to drink even more. To avoid overdrinking, sip on a glass of water in between each alcoholic beverage.

Skipping a meal to save your calories for drinks later is a bad idea. Many drinkers know they'll be having some alcohol later, whether going to a bar, party, or just kicking back at home. Knowing that drinking entails extra calories, it may be tempting to "bank" some calories by skipping a meal or two. This is a bad move. If you come to the bar hungry, you are even more likely to munch on the snacks, and drinking on an empty stomach enhances the negative effects of alcohol. If you're planning on drinking later, eat a healthy meal first. You'll feel fuller, which will stop you from overdrinking. If you are worried about a looming night out with friends, include an extra 30 minutes of exercise to balance your calories—instead of skipping a meal.

What are more important, calories or carbs? You might think that drinking liquor is more diet-friendly because it has no carbohydrates, while both wine and beer do contain carbs. But dieters need to watch calories, and liquor only has a few calories less than beer or wine. Plus, it is often mixed with other drinks, adding even more empty calories. Hard liquor contains around 100 calories per shot, so adding a mixer increases calories even more. If you are going to mix liquor with anything, opt for a diet or club soda, instead of fruit juice or regular soda. Sweeter drinks, whether liquor or wine, tend to have more sugar, and therefore more calories. In that respect, dry wines usually have fewer calories than sweet wines.

The list below breaks down the number of calories in typical alcoholic drinks. Compare some of your favorites to make a good choice next time you decide to indulge in a serving of alcohol.

Drink

Serving Size, calories

Red wine, 5 oz. 100 calories

White wine, 5 oz. 100 calories

Champagne, 5 oz. 130 calories

Light beer, 12 oz. 105 calories

Regular beer. 12 oz. 140 calories

Dark beer. 12 oz. 170 calories

Cosmopolitan, 3 oz. 165 calories

Martini, 3 oz. 205 calories

Long Island iced tea, 8 oz. 400 calories

Gin & Toni, 8 oz. 175 calories

Rum & Soda, 8 oz. 180 calories

Margarita. 8 oz. 200 calories

Whiskey Sour, 4 oz. 200 calories
Old 12-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
Here is some good information about alcohol and the effects on your body. With Christmas and New Years close on the horizon, I thought it was a timely article.

Alcohol and Weight Loss - Can You Have Both?

Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins that need to be slowly digested in the stomach—but not when alcohol is present. When alcohol is consumed, it gets special privileges and needs no digestion. The alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall as soon as they arrive and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This reaction is slightly slowed when there is also food in your system, but as soon as the mixed contents enter the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first place and is absorbed quickly. The alcohol then arrives at the liver for processing. The liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. Therefore, the carbohydrates (glucose) and dietary fats are just changed into body fat, waiting to be carried away for permanent fat storage in the body.

Alcohol is a diuretic, meaning that it causes water loss and dehydration. Along with this water loss you lose important minerals, such as magnesium, potassium, calcium and zinc. These minerals are vital to the maintenance of fluid balance, chemical reactions, and muscle contraction and relaxation.

Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram and offers NO nutritional value. It only adds empty calories to your diet. Why not spend your calorie budget on something healthier?

Alcohol affects your body in other negative ways. Drinking might help induce sleep, but the sleep you get isn't very deep. Ultimately, as a result, you get less rest. Alcohol can also increase the amount of acid that your stomach produces, causing your stomach lining to become inflamed. Over time, excessive alcohol use can lead to serious health problems, including stomach ulcers, liver disease, and heart troubles.

Alcohol lowers your inhibitions, which is detrimental to your diet plans. Alcohol actually stimulates your appetite. While you might be full from a comparable amount of calories from food, several drinks might not fill you up. On top of that, research shows that if you drink before or during a meal, both your inhibitions and willpower are reduced. In this state, you are more likely to overeat—especially greasy or fried foods—which can add to your waistline. To avoid this, wait to order that drink until you're done with your meal.

Many foods that accompany drinking (peanuts, pretzels, chips) are salty, which can make you thirsty, encouraging you to drink even more. To avoid overdrinking, sip on a glass of water in between each alcoholic beverage.

Skipping a meal to save your calories for drinks later is a bad idea. Many drinkers know they'll be having some alcohol later, whether going to a bar, party, or just kicking back at home. Knowing that drinking entails extra calories, it may be tempting to "bank" some calories by skipping a meal or two. This is a bad move. If you come to the bar hungry, you are even more likely to munch on the snacks, and drinking on an empty stomach enhances the negative effects of alcohol. If you're planning on drinking later, eat a healthy meal first. You'll feel fuller, which will stop you from overdrinking. If you are worried about a looming night out with friends, include an extra 30 minutes of exercise to balance your calories—instead of skipping a meal.

What are more important, calories or carbs? You might think that drinking liquor is more diet-friendly because it has no carbohydrates, while both wine and beer do contain carbs. But dieters need to watch calories, and liquor only has a few calories less than beer or wine. Plus, it is often mixed with other drinks, adding even more empty calories. Hard liquor contains around 100 calories per shot, so adding a mixer increases calories even more. If you are going to mix liquor with anything, opt for a diet or club soda, instead of fruit juice or regular soda. Sweeter drinks, whether liquor or wine, tend to have more sugar, and therefore more calories. In that respect, dry wines usually have fewer calories than sweet wines.

The list below breaks down the number of calories in typical alcoholic drinks. Compare some of your favorites to make a good choice next time you decide to indulge in a serving of alcohol.

Drink

Serving Size, calories

Red wine, 5 oz. 100 calories

White wine, 5 oz. 100 calories

Champagne, 5 oz. 130 calories

Light beer, 12 oz. 105 calories

Regular beer. 12 oz. 140 calories

Dark beer. 12 oz. 170 calories

Cosmopolitan, 3 oz. 165 calories

Martini, 3 oz. 205 calories

Long Island iced tea, 8 oz. 400 calories

Gin & Toni, 8 oz. 175 calories

Rum & Soda, 8 oz. 180 calories

Margarita. 8 oz. 200 calories

Whiskey Sour, 4 oz. 200 calories
Thanks Jo, that was an excellent article. I am wishing you and everyone the best in this "new" holiday season and "skinny" new year.

God Bless,
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom on a mission
Stats: Ht 5' 7" 247/156.4/160
Start Date: January 2, 2010
Wow-great thread! Ive been lurking on the site for a week now. Starting MWL on 1/2/10 decided to wait til after the holidays party because of the drinking/entertaining aspect of the season.

Husband and I are starting together and have both decided not to share the fact that we're on MWL program right away. We're going to tell friends and family that we're going "on the wagon" as our New Year's resolution. I know it sounds childish to have to make excuses to the people closest to us, but we are determined to succeed and hope this will help with the constant "Why aren't you drinking?" banter.

Wish us luck. These message boards are great- you are all truly inspiring!!!

Happy Holidays!!!

REACHED GOAL WEIGHT ON 06/24/10
Total Loss: -90.6 lbs

Wellness...
Mom on a mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JazzleBug
Stats: 235.7 | 216.8 | 135 @ 5'6"
WOE: HCG/Primal Blueprint/Leptin Reset
Start Date: 4/6/12
*peeks in* I just stumbled upon this while searching "New Posts" but wanted to say that this thread is fantastic. Thanks for the great info y'all. I think it's important info for ALL of us, regardless of WL method.
JazzleBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Justin1
Stats: 324.5/197/190
Start Date: 4/15/09
bacardi superior is 65 calories per ounce...

so just choose that + diet coke if you are going to drink
Justin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fit2b55
Stats: 218/211/178
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 6/24/09-Maintenance 10/12/09!!: RESTART 5/27/14
I've never told anyone that I did MWL nor will I post my picture as I don't want to be found out! Somehow, when you follow a program, people like to diminish your weightloss........like with help you didn't REALLY lose the weight. So, I applaud you and your husband starting together...do whatever you need to succeed!! Good Luck. AND take it easy on the goodies over the holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom on a mission View Post
Wow-great thread! Ive been lurking on the site for a week now. Starting MWL on 1/2/10 decided to wait til after the holidays party because of the drinking/entertaining aspect of the season.

Husband and I are starting together and have both decided not to share the fact that we're on MWL program right away. We're going to tell friends and family that we're going "on the wagon" as our New Year's resolution. I know it sounds childish to have to make excuses to the people closest to us, but we are determined to succeed and hope this will help with the constant "Why aren't you drinking?" banter.

Wish us luck. These message boards are great- you are all truly inspiring!!!

Happy Holidays!!!
fit2b55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alngarcia
Stats: 237.6/161.5/150
WOE: Medi Clinics
Start Date: February 2010
I just had to throw in my 2 cents on this even though I am mostly a reader, I do not post. I am a newbie to Medi but have been doing really well. I am kind of offended though by how some of you have responded, acting as though wanting a drink is so unbelievable. Just because I may want 1 drink does not mean I am unhappy in my life or am somehow over indulgent. My husband and I drink socially sometimes, especially when we have family in town. I had family here this past week and am only now in my 4th week. I did not want to feel strange, I wanted to feel normal so I went and purchased Budweiser Select 55. I had 1 beer with my family which was 55 calories and 2.6 carbs. I stayed within my carb limits and followed the rest of the week. I still managed to stay in ketosis and lost 2.8 pounds, making my 3 week total 16.4 pounds. Was it in the plan, no, but responsible adults are able to make sound decisions without throwing themselves all the way back to the beginning. I have read soooo many posts about people mad over the fact that they are judged for being on Medi, maybe it's time we stop judging each other and be more supportive.
alngarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alngarcia View Post
I just had to throw in my 2 cents on this even though I am mostly a reader, I do not post. I am a newbie to Medi but have been doing really well. I am kind of offended though by how some of you have responded, acting as though wanting a drink is so unbelievable. Just because I may want 1 drink does not mean I am unhappy in my life or am somehow over indulgent. My husband and I drink socially sometimes, especially when we have family in town. I had family here this past week and am only now in my 4th week. I did not want to feel strange, I wanted to feel normal so I went and purchased Budweiser Select 55. I had 1 beer with my family which was 55 calories and 2.6 carbs. I stayed within my carb limits and followed the rest of the week. I still managed to stay in ketosis and lost 2.8 pounds, making my 3 week total 16.4 pounds. Was it in the plan, no, but responsible adults are able to make sound decisions without throwing themselves all the way back to the beginning. I have read soooo many posts about people mad over the fact that they are judged for being on Medi, maybe it's time we stop judging each other and be more supportive.
Welcome,

Very interesting first post. Those of us that have been here for a while are not judging anyone. We are only sharing our experiences and what it takes for us to succeed. We will tell you exactly what is on our minds. You can use our comments as you wish. If they help you to stay focused great if not please feel free to ignore them.

If you want to drink go for it. You are an adult with a mind of your own however don't be surprised if you have a bad week at weigh in if someone on the boards asks you to post your journal entries and if there is alcohol on there you will be questioned about it (not in a judgemental way). I wish you all the luck in the world with the plan. From your stats it looks like you have a way to go and the weight loss will slow.

McBoo

Before and after Pics
http://www.slide.com/profile?puid=UY...S8QcfBRFZvgCG0

"Born right the first time"
"BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER"
"CANCER SUCKS"
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alngarcia
Stats: 237.6/161.5/150
WOE: Medi Clinics
Start Date: February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1 View Post
I enjoy indulging on some weekends. I try to choose smart things to drink so as not to ruin my week.

It is dangerous to play with because it can be a trigger for you to go off to taco bell and eat 4 days of calories in about 10 minutes .

I don't see the need to say that folks that enjoy drinking occasionally have a problem or a character flaw or some of the other negative things I've read in this thread and others.

Bacardi Superior + Diet Coke = 65'ish calories and no carbs. Your body will burn the alcohol for energy first before returning to burning fat.

Seems that you are the only one who may understand what I was posting. Not the site I thought this would be. I didn't realize I would get a lecture for my posting, thanks McBoo...I think my discussion days are done! The point I was trying to make is that some people tried to make others feel bad for wanting a drink now and then. And as far as my stats...I have only been in MWL for 3 weeks, I think I am doing just fine and will reach my goal in no time. Thank god I have people in the real world to support me because I don't see it happening here.
alngarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alngarcia View Post
Seems that you are the only one who may understand what I was posting. Not the site I thought this would be. I didn't realize I would get a lecture for my posting, thanks McBoo...I think my discussion days are done! The point I was trying to make is that some people tried to make others feel bad for wanting a drink now and then. And as far as my stats...I have only been in MWL for 3 weeks, I think I am doing just fine and will reach my goal in no time. Thank god I have people in the real world to support me because I don't see it happening here.

Don't take it personal or the wrong way. There is a lot of great support on this forum and great information.

Keep up the good work, and honestly you will be more successful without alcohol. Once again, though, it is OK to have here and there as long as you don't let it trigger your cravings or at least be prepared to face and control them.

I would stay away from beer, but the bud select is a good choice but not really worth the risk of being knocked out of ketosis.

stick with the pure alcohols (rum/gin/vodka) as they typically have no carbs and match with diet soda or crystal light. I am not saying it is ok or not ok or anyone is bad or good as a person. I am simply stating that it can be worked into your program on occasion, and it's a nice way to relax every now and then.

Weigh both sides to determine if it's worth seeing 1 less pound of weight loss that week, or depending on what you drink, seeing that strip not turn pink the next day. That typically causes me to pass on the drinks.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Also don't let McBoo get you down...he's a vet of medi and is very knowledgeable...If he comes across as harsh, that's just his way as we have seen many people come and go on these boards.

Many complain about certain things not working and how they don't understand why they aren't losing...well drinking alcohol can certainly be a major factor in why people get off track and are never to be heard from again hehe.