Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Ketosis (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/604404-ketosis.html)

skeeter524 02-18-2009 06:01 PM

Ketosis
 
My ketosis says small. Am I doing something wrong? I am on my 5th day.

McBoo 02-18-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter524 (Post 11590747)
My ketosis says small. Am I doing something wrong? I am on my 5th day.


Skeeter ,

:welcome:

Everyone is different and some take longer to get into ketosis than others. Are you following the plan exactly to the letter with no deviations and drinking all the water you are supposed to?

McBoo

ruthie86 02-18-2009 06:52 PM

Mine went from moderate to small and Im on the 4th week is that normal or should I start eating mostly protein again? I also am a little confused about what exactly ketosis does anyone know how to explain it normal non drish terms?:confused:

skeeter524 02-18-2009 06:52 PM

Yes. I have not cheated or done anything off the plan. Everyday when I check the ketosis it says small so I wasn't sure if there was something my body was doing. That makes sense that maybe I am just not there yet. Thanks!

Jonpryor99 02-19-2009 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthie86 (Post 11590907)
Mine went from moderate to small and Im on the 4th week is that normal or should I start eating mostly protein again? I also am a little confused about what exactly ketosis does anyone know how to explain it normal non drish terms?:confused:

Skeeter,

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about Ketosis and then some. I put in BOLD the parts that pertain to your particular question.

What are ketones?

Ketones are a normal and efficient source of fuel and energy for the human body. They are produced by the liver from fatty acids, which result from the breakdown of body fat in response to the absence of glucose/sugar. In a ketogenic diet, such as Atkins ... or diets used for treating epilepsy in children, the tiny amounts of glucose required for some select functions can be met by consuming a minimum amount of carbs - or can be manufactured in the liver from PROTEIN. When your body is producing ketones, and using them for fuel, this is called "ketosis".


How will ketosis help me to lose weight?

Most reducing diets restrict calorie intake, so you lose weight but some of that is fat and some of it is lean muscle tissue as well. Less muscle means slowed metabolism, which makes losing weight more difficult and gaining it back all too easy. Ketosis will help you to lose FAT.

Being in ketosis means that your body's primary source of energy is fat (in the form of ketones). When you consume adequate protein as well, there's no need for the body to break down its muscle tissue. Ketosis also tends to accelerate fat loss --- once the liver converts fat to ketones, it can't be converted back to fat, and so is excreted.


But, isn't ketosis dangerous?

Being in ketosis by following a low carbohydrate diet is NOT dangerous. The human body was designed to use ketones very efficiently as fuel in the absence of glucose. However, the word ketosis is often confused with a similar word, ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition for diabetics, and the main element is ACID not ketones. The blood pH becomes dangerously acidic because of an extremely high blood SUGAR level (the diabetic has no insulin, or doesn't respond to insulin .... so blood sugar rises ... ketones are produced by the body to provide the fuel necessary for life, since the cells can't use the sugar). It's the high blood sugar, and the acid condition that is so dangerous. Ketones just happen to be a part of the picture, and are a RESULT of the condition, not the CAUSE. Diabetics can safely follow a ketogenic diet to lose fat weight ... but they must be closely monitored by their health care provider, and blood sugars need to be kept low, and stable.


How do the ketone test strips work, and where can I get them?

Ketone urine-testing strips, also called Ketostix or just ketone sticks ... are small plastic strips that have a little absorptive pad on the end. This contains a special chemical that will change colour in the presence of ketones in the urine. The strips may change varying shades of pink to purple, or may not change colour at all. The container will have a scale on the label, with blocks of colour for you to compare the strip after a certain time lapse, usually 15 seconds. Most folks simply hold a strip in the flow of urine. Other folks argue that the force of the flow can "wash" some of the chemical away, and advise that a sample of urine be obtained in a cup or other container, then the strip dipped into it.

The chemical reagent is very sensitive to moisture, including what's in the air. It's important to keep the lid of the container tightly closed at all times, except for when you're getting a strip to take a reading. Make sure your fingers are dry before you go digging in! They also have an expiry date, so make note of this when you purchase the strips ... that's for the UNopened package. Once opened, they have a shelf-life of about 6 months -- you may wish to write the date you opened on the label for future reference.

Ketone test strips can be purchased at any pharmacy, and are usually kept with the diabetic supplies. In some stores they're kept behind the counter, so if you don't see them on the shelf, just ask the pharmacist; you don't need a prescription to buy them.


I'm following Induction strictly; why won't my strips turn purple?

Ketones will spill into the urine ONLY when there is more in the blood than is being used as fuel by the body at that particular moment.

You may have exercised or worked a few hours previously, so your muscles would have used up the ketones as fuel, thus there will be no excess. You may have had a lot of liquids to drink, so the urine is more diluted. Perhaps the strips are not fresh, or the lid was not on tight and some moisture from the atmosphere got in.

Some low carbers NEVER show above trace or negative even ... yet they burn fat and lose weight just fine. If you're losing weight, and your clothes are getting looser, you're feeling well and not hungry all the time .. then you are successfully in ketosis. Don't get hung up on the strips; they're just a guide, nothing more.



Will I lose weight faster if the strips show dark purple all the time?

No. Testing in the darkest purple range all the time is usually a sign of dehydration -- the urine is too concentrated. You need to drink more water to dilute it, and keep the kidneys flushed.

The liver will make ketones from body fat, the fat you EAT, and from alcohol --- the ketone strips have no way of distinguishing the source of the ketones. So, if you test every day after dinner, and dinner usually contains a lot of fat, then you may very well test for large amounts of ketones all the time. However this does not indicate that any BODY fat was burned.

The strips only indicate what's happening in the urine. Ketosis happens in the blood and body tissues. If you're showing even a small amount, then you are in ketosis, and fat-burning is taking place. Don't get hung up on the ketone sticks.



Does caffeine affect ketosis?

This is questionable. There ARE a few studies that suggest caffeine may cause blood sugar to rise, with consequent effect on insulin ... The studies involve consuming 50 gm glucose orally, followed by a dose of caffeine. This is quite different from a low carber, who is consuming only 20 gm carbs, in the form of high-fiber vegetables, spread throughout the day.

Many low carbers continue to enjoy caffeine-containing beverages with no serious impact on their weight-loss efforts. However, there are some sensitive individuals ... and persons who are extremely insulin resistant may need to restrict or even eliminate all caffeine. If you have been losing successfully then find your weight loss stalled for a month or two, and you are following your program to the letter, you might consider stopping all caffeine for a while, to see if that will get things started again.


Will drinking alcohol affect ketosis?

No and yes. The liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system.

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption.

teacherdli 02-19-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonpryor99 (Post 11591856)
Skeeter,

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about Ketosis and then some. I put in BOLD the parts that pertain to your particular question.

What are ketones?

Ketones are a normal and efficient source of fuel and energy for the human body. They are produced by the liver from fatty acids, which result from the breakdown of body fat in response to the absence of glucose/sugar. In a ketogenic diet, such as Atkins ... or diets used for treating epilepsy in children, the tiny amounts of glucose required for some select functions can be met by consuming a minimum amount of carbs - or can be manufactured in the liver from PROTEIN. When your body is producing ketones, and using them for fuel, this is called "ketosis".


How will ketosis help me to lose weight?

Most reducing diets restrict calorie intake, so you lose weight but some of that is fat and some of it is lean muscle tissue as well. Less muscle means slowed metabolism, which makes losing weight more difficult and gaining it back all too easy. Ketosis will help you to lose FAT.

Being in ketosis means that your body's primary source of energy is fat (in the form of ketones). When you consume adequate protein as well, there's no need for the body to break down its muscle tissue. Ketosis also tends to accelerate fat loss --- once the liver converts fat to ketones, it can't be converted back to fat, and so is excreted.


But, isn't ketosis dangerous?

Being in ketosis by following a low carbohydrate diet is NOT dangerous. The human body was designed to use ketones very efficiently as fuel in the absence of glucose. However, the word ketosis is often confused with a similar word, ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition for diabetics, and the main element is ACID not ketones. The blood pH becomes dangerously acidic because of an extremely high blood SUGAR level (the diabetic has no insulin, or doesn't respond to insulin .... so blood sugar rises ... ketones are produced by the body to provide the fuel necessary for life, since the cells can't use the sugar). It's the high blood sugar, and the acid condition that is so dangerous. Ketones just happen to be a part of the picture, and are a RESULT of the condition, not the CAUSE. Diabetics can safely follow a ketogenic diet to lose fat weight ... but they must be closely monitored by their health care provider, and blood sugars need to be kept low, and stable.


How do the ketone test strips work, and where can I get them?

Ketone urine-testing strips, also called Ketostix or just ketone sticks ... are small plastic strips that have a little absorptive pad on the end. This contains a special chemical that will change colour in the presence of ketones in the urine. The strips may change varying shades of pink to purple, or may not change colour at all. The container will have a scale on the label, with blocks of colour for you to compare the strip after a certain time lapse, usually 15 seconds. Most folks simply hold a strip in the flow of urine. Other folks argue that the force of the flow can "wash" some of the chemical away, and advise that a sample of urine be obtained in a cup or other container, then the strip dipped into it.

The chemical reagent is very sensitive to moisture, including what's in the air. It's important to keep the lid of the container tightly closed at all times, except for when you're getting a strip to take a reading. Make sure your fingers are dry before you go digging in! They also have an expiry date, so make note of this when you purchase the strips ... that's for the UNopened package. Once opened, they have a shelf-life of about 6 months -- you may wish to write the date you opened on the label for future reference.

Ketone test strips can be purchased at any pharmacy, and are usually kept with the diabetic supplies. In some stores they're kept behind the counter, so if you don't see them on the shelf, just ask the pharmacist; you don't need a prescription to buy them.


I'm following Induction strictly; why won't my strips turn purple?

Ketones will spill into the urine ONLY when there is more in the blood than is being used as fuel by the body at that particular moment.

You may have exercised or worked a few hours previously, so your muscles would have used up the ketones as fuel, thus there will be no excess. You may have had a lot of liquids to drink, so the urine is more diluted. Perhaps the strips are not fresh, or the lid was not on tight and some moisture from the atmosphere got in.

Some low carbers NEVER show above trace or negative even ... yet they burn fat and lose weight just fine. If you're losing weight, and your clothes are getting looser, you're feeling well and not hungry all the time .. then you are successfully in ketosis. Don't get hung up on the strips; they're just a guide, nothing more.



Will I lose weight faster if the strips show dark purple all the time?

No. Testing in the darkest purple range all the time is usually a sign of dehydration -- the urine is too concentrated. You need to drink more water to dilute it, and keep the kidneys flushed.

The liver will make ketones from body fat, the fat you EAT, and from alcohol --- the ketone strips have no way of distinguishing the source of the ketones. So, if you test every day after dinner, and dinner usually contains a lot of fat, then you may very well test for large amounts of ketones all the time. However this does not indicate that any BODY fat was burned.

The strips only indicate what's happening in the urine. Ketosis happens in the blood and body tissues. If you're showing even a small amount, then you are in ketosis, and fat-burning is taking place. Don't get hung up on the ketone sticks.



Does caffeine affect ketosis?

This is questionable. There ARE a few studies that suggest caffeine may cause blood sugar to rise, with consequent effect on insulin ... The studies involve consuming 50 gm glucose orally, followed by a dose of caffeine. This is quite different from a low carber, who is consuming only 20 gm carbs, in the form of high-fiber vegetables, spread throughout the day.

Many low carbers continue to enjoy caffeine-containing beverages with no serious impact on their weight-loss efforts. However, there are some sensitive individuals ... and persons who are extremely insulin resistant may need to restrict or even eliminate all caffeine. If you have been losing successfully then find your weight loss stalled for a month or two, and you are following your program to the letter, you might consider stopping all caffeine for a while, to see if that will get things started again.


Will drinking alcohol affect ketosis?

No and yes. The liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system.

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption.

Even though I didn't pose this question, I appreciate your helpful information.

Medi_NJ 03-02-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter524 (Post 11590747)
My ketosis says small. Am I doing something wrong? I am on my 5th day.

As long as you're in ketosis, this means you are burning fat, so don't worry. Although we say that "moderate" is ideal, not everyone will get to moderate, because of different physiological makeup. :hiya:

susan1234 03-10-2009 06:44 AM

im new and on my 2nd week. I have been in ketosis since my first week and its a shade higher then moderate, sometimes it looks like its a little darker. Is that bad? I feel really good but i still worry,that iam not gonna lose wait this week. my first week i lost 12lbs. this week i was hopeing for a 7lb loss is that possiable?

susan1234 03-10-2009 06:49 AM

Is there anyone out there from RI. , if so what office do you go to? i want to know if any on aroud here knows where i can get the marical noodles. I know that i can on line, but i really dont know how to order online im not so good on the computer. I think its took me 10 min just to write this.

JROOTA 03-10-2009 11:27 AM

Thanks for sharing

SDC2 03-10-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susan1234 (Post 11677842)
im new and on my 2nd week. I have been in ketosis since my first week and its a shade higher then moderate, sometimes it looks like its a little darker. Is that bad? I feel really good but i still worry,that iam not gonna lose wait this week. my first week i lost 12lbs. this week i was hopeing for a 7lb loss is that possiable?

Susan,

I was told at my clinic that if you are darker than moderate it means you are dehydrated. Make sure you are getting enough water...96-128 oz per day. How much you loose in a week depends all on your body, how much weight you have to loose and how carefully you are on program. While you lost more than most on your first week, there are a few (like jbiggars) that have lost even more. According to the Medi Weightloss Clinic website, the typical client looses around 20 pounds in the first month.

As for the Miracle Noodles, I have not found them anywhere. I order mine online. There is another version which contains soy called Shirataki Tofu Noodles that are 40 calories per bag. I have found these at Publix and Whole Foods.

Susie

SDC2 06-10-2009 11:50 AM

Bumping this Thread
 
I am bumping this thread since the question of ketosis comes up all the time and Jon went to the trouble of posting everything you ever wanted to know about ketosis and were afraid to ask.

Susie

crobyninc 06-10-2009 11:53 AM

Excellent idea Susie!

hudiman 06-17-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonpryor99 (Post 11591856)
Skeeter,

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about Ketosis and then some. I put in BOLD the parts that pertain to your particular question.

What are ketones?

Ketones are a normal and efficient source of fuel and energy for the human body. They are produced by the liver from fatty acids, which result from the breakdown of body fat in response to the absence of glucose/sugar. In a ketogenic diet, such as Atkins ... or diets used for treating epilepsy in children, the tiny amounts of glucose required for some select functions can be met by consuming a minimum amount of carbs - or can be manufactured in the liver from PROTEIN. When your body is producing ketones, and using them for fuel, this is called "ketosis".


How will ketosis help me to lose weight?

Most reducing diets restrict calorie intake, so you lose weight but some of that is fat and some of it is lean muscle tissue as well. Less muscle means slowed metabolism, which makes losing weight more difficult and gaining it back all too easy. Ketosis will help you to lose FAT.

Being in ketosis means that your body's primary source of energy is fat (in the form of ketones). When you consume adequate protein as well, there's no need for the body to break down its muscle tissue. Ketosis also tends to accelerate fat loss --- once the liver converts fat to ketones, it can't be converted back to fat, and so is excreted.


But, isn't ketosis dangerous?

Being in ketosis by following a low carbohydrate diet is NOT dangerous. The human body was designed to use ketones very efficiently as fuel in the absence of glucose. However, the word ketosis is often confused with a similar word, ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition for diabetics, and the main element is ACID not ketones. The blood pH becomes dangerously acidic because of an extremely high blood SUGAR level (the diabetic has no insulin, or doesn't respond to insulin .... so blood sugar rises ... ketones are produced by the body to provide the fuel necessary for life, since the cells can't use the sugar). It's the high blood sugar, and the acid condition that is so dangerous. Ketones just happen to be a part of the picture, and are a RESULT of the condition, not the CAUSE. Diabetics can safely follow a ketogenic diet to lose fat weight ... but they must be closely monitored by their health care provider, and blood sugars need to be kept low, and stable.


How do the ketone test strips work, and where can I get them?

Ketone urine-testing strips, also called Ketostix or just ketone sticks ... are small plastic strips that have a little absorptive pad on the end. This contains a special chemical that will change colour in the presence of ketones in the urine. The strips may change varying shades of pink to purple, or may not change colour at all. The container will have a scale on the label, with blocks of colour for you to compare the strip after a certain time lapse, usually 15 seconds. Most folks simply hold a strip in the flow of urine. Other folks argue that the force of the flow can "wash" some of the chemical away, and advise that a sample of urine be obtained in a cup or other container, then the strip dipped into it.

The chemical reagent is very sensitive to moisture, including what's in the air. It's important to keep the lid of the container tightly closed at all times, except for when you're getting a strip to take a reading. Make sure your fingers are dry before you go digging in! They also have an expiry date, so make note of this when you purchase the strips ... that's for the UNopened package. Once opened, they have a shelf-life of about 6 months -- you may wish to write the date you opened on the label for future reference.

Ketone test strips can be purchased at any pharmacy, and are usually kept with the diabetic supplies. In some stores they're kept behind the counter, so if you don't see them on the shelf, just ask the pharmacist; you don't need a prescription to buy them.


I'm following Induction strictly; why won't my strips turn purple?

Ketones will spill into the urine ONLY when there is more in the blood than is being used as fuel by the body at that particular moment.

You may have exercised or worked a few hours previously, so your muscles would have used up the ketones as fuel, thus there will be no excess. You may have had a lot of liquids to drink, so the urine is more diluted. Perhaps the strips are not fresh, or the lid was not on tight and some moisture from the atmosphere got in.

Some low carbers NEVER show above trace or negative even ... yet they burn fat and lose weight just fine. If you're losing weight, and your clothes are getting looser, you're feeling well and not hungry all the time .. then you are successfully in ketosis. Don't get hung up on the strips; they're just a guide, nothing more.



Will I lose weight faster if the strips show dark purple all the time?

No. Testing in the darkest purple range all the time is usually a sign of dehydration -- the urine is too concentrated. You need to drink more water to dilute it, and keep the kidneys flushed.

The liver will make ketones from body fat, the fat you EAT, and from alcohol --- the ketone strips have no way of distinguishing the source of the ketones. So, if you test every day after dinner, and dinner usually contains a lot of fat, then you may very well test for large amounts of ketones all the time. However this does not indicate that any BODY fat was burned.

The strips only indicate what's happening in the urine. Ketosis happens in the blood and body tissues. If you're showing even a small amount, then you are in ketosis, and fat-burning is taking place. Don't get hung up on the ketone sticks.



Does caffeine affect ketosis?

This is questionable. There ARE a few studies that suggest caffeine may cause blood sugar to rise, with consequent effect on insulin ... The studies involve consuming 50 gm glucose orally, followed by a dose of caffeine. This is quite different from a low carber, who is consuming only 20 gm carbs, in the form of high-fiber vegetables, spread throughout the day.

Many low carbers continue to enjoy caffeine-containing beverages with no serious impact on their weight-loss efforts. However, there are some sensitive individuals ... and persons who are extremely insulin resistant may need to restrict or even eliminate all caffeine. If you have been losing successfully then find your weight loss stalled for a month or two, and you are following your program to the letter, you might consider stopping all caffeine for a while, to see if that will get things started again.


Will drinking alcohol affect ketosis?

No and yes. The liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system.

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption.

This ketosis thread explains a lot of your questions. I'm bringing this to the front for the newbies to read. But, I think if anyone has a specific health issue, this or any diet should be cleared through your own doctors. Different meds or treatments could be affected, weightloss helps many different diseases but should always be cleared by ones own doctors for safe being.
Good luck!

hudiman 06-25-2009 11:34 AM

Now, I have a ketosis question.....I have read several threads with people talking about having ketosis bad breath. I'm starting to be paranoid and keep asking my husband if my breath is worse then usual, :hyst:, I don't think it is, is the bad breath a given? What kind of smell is it? Yuck!

hudiman 06-26-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hudiman (Post 12148221)
Now, I have a ketosis question.....I have read several threads with people talking about having ketosis bad breath. I'm starting to be paranoid and keep asking my husband if my breath is worse then usual, :hyst:, I don't think it is, is the bad breath a given? What kind of smell is it? Yuck!

No one answered this and I am hoping it is because ketosis doesn't do anything to change ones breath. Has anyone had a problem with their breath?

TXGRLY09 06-26-2009 12:38 PM

I've been in Ketosis for a week and had no compliants about my breath :D

MEDIMIMI 06-29-2009 02:43 AM

For those that have been bumped out of ketosis, how hard is it to get back in? How long did it take and did you get the headaches dizziness again? EEEKKKK

hudiman 06-29-2009 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEDIMIMI (Post 12160343)
For those that have been bumped out of ketosis, how hard is it to get back in? How long did it take and did you get the headaches dizziness again? EEEKKKK

I have had wine a couple of times and then been knocked out of ketosis. I guess I am lucky because I would be careful the next day but still eat my veggies and would be back in. One time I even rechecked later that afternoon and was back in ketosis. I never really had headaches. Again, everyone's system works differently. Good luck and don't fret, there will be circumstances like that where we eat things not on the plan and not even know it. Plus, your ketone stick could have been faulty.

Desert-Rose7 06-29-2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEDIMIMI (Post 12160343)
For those that have been bumped out of ketosis, how hard is it to get back in? How long did it take and did you get the headaches dizziness again? EEEKKKK

~Mimi~I fall out of ketosis on the occasion when I have a serving of raspberries. I go right back in within 12 hours. It also happens after certain workouts. Again,I go right back in within hours. I have never had headaches related to the program.

About the breath issue....it has never been a problem for me...I think it varies from person to person. I still carry SF gum with me anyway!

Jo

YellowBird 07-23-2009 12:23 PM

ketosis
 
I am on the last day of my fourth week, I have an appointment tonight to get my shots and weigh in. I have lost 15 1/2 lbs as of today (hopefully more tonight!) and I'm finding the diet really manageable. However-Occasionally I drink socially and I went out last night and had three vodka sodas. Every other time I did this I woke up the next morning in large ketosis.( I realize that this could be due to dehydration) but this morning I was in negative ketosis and I'm a little freaked out. Is it true that I could still be in it and it's not being detected on the strip?
I had a ravioli and a BITE of cake yesterday but is that enough to throw me out of it? This has happened once before and the following day I was back in moderate ketosis but I'm wondering how long it will take me to get back in this time.

I'm disappointed as I feel like otherwise I've been really good and have obviously been successful so far.

just need a little advice. thank you!

YellowBird 07-23-2009 12:26 PM

ok, disregard that message- I just read more of the thread and it gave me some info.
About the breath issue- I do get dry mouth which inevitably makes your breath a little stinky. I drink TONS of water and chew sugar free gum. Everyones probably different but I don't equate it to just taking the medecine and getting bad breath but because my mouth is so dry.

msdee54 07-24-2009 06:16 AM

I'm beginning to think the ketostix from Medi may be a little faulty.

I have been eating on plan and doing very well, my stix show me in deep ketosis but I have not lost a lb this week. I checked because I have been feeling like I'm not losing.

If I was to weigh in at the clinic today I would be the same as last week if not showing a gain. Oh well!!

The fluctuations of weight loss.

Desert-Rose7 07-24-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msdee54 (Post 12260859)
I'm beginning to think the ketostix from Medi may be a little faulty.

I have been eating on plan and doing very well, my stix show me in deep ketosis but I have not lost a lb this week. I checked because I have been feeling like I'm not losing.

If I was to weigh in at the clinic today I would be the same as last week if not showing a gain. Oh well!!

The fluctuations of weight loss.

That level of ketosis indicates dehydration. How much water are you drinking? It should be a MINIMUM of 128 ounces a day. Not coffee, tea, diet soda, but water. Are you journaling the amount of fluid you are taking in?

Jo

msdee54 07-24-2009 12:18 PM

Thanks for the response Jo. Yes, I drink a minimum of 125 oz a day . I know because I have some 25oz cups I use. I drink the water and I pee all day.

Remember last week they told me they thought I was drinking too much water.

I've always drank water even before plan but especially now with the dry mouth.

The Dr told me too that if I test in that range it shows not enough water but I do get it in all of it besides the CL or anything else, I don't drink coffee.

I may buy some other ketostix today to see what they say.

Dee

crobyninc 07-29-2009 09:25 AM

I do think that the Ketostix from Medi are not of good quality. Since March I have had 2 bottles of Medi stixs go bad for no apparent reason. I do live in Florida, so it is very humid but I am not living in a tent, we have the AC on 24/7!!!! Anyway, I quit buying the expensive Medi stix and bought from Walgreens, these are much cheaper and they appear to be keeping better.

So bottom line, if you are thinking your ketosis is out of whack then it is probably your ketone stix!

arabrider 07-29-2009 01:21 PM

This is my first week, and I noticed mine went from light to medium and then dark then back to medium. I am checking all my waters so I feel that I am in there but I will check on getting some testing sticks from another source and try them as well.

hudiman 07-29-2009 01:49 PM

Sue,
You don't need to buy any more of the sticks. Yours sound like they are working fine. Only test first thing in the morning. The color will change from time to time, depending on what you have eaten. As long as you are past the negative color you are fine. Even trace is a fat burner. Don't get too caught up in the color of the sticks if you are following the program. Good luck!

Desert-Rose7 07-29-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arabrider (Post 12283545)
This is my first week, and I noticed mine went from light to medium and then dark then back to medium. I am checking all my waters so I feel that I am in there but I will check on getting some testing sticks from another source and try them as well.

~Sue~ I totally agree with Ginny on this one. I did learn to keep my Ketostix in the guest bath since it is not used on a daily basis. The master bath gets pretty steamy when I shower. When you run out of the original bunch, just pop over to Fry's pharmacy or Walgreen's. They both sell them, I believe they are made by Bayer, in a yellow box, $8.99 for 50. They may be even less $$ at Sam's or Costco.

Jo

arabrider 07-30-2009 07:25 AM

Thanks! Hubby is using them too, so I am sure i will need to get more.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:37 AM.