Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: arabrider
Stats: 224/178/150
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: July 25th 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudiman View Post
Sue,
You don't need to buy any more of the sticks. Yours sound like they are working fine. Only test first thing in the morning. The color will change from time to time, depending on what you have eaten. As long as you are past the negative color you are fine. Even trace is a fat burner. Don't get too caught up in the color of the sticks if you are following the program. Good luck!
Yes, i think it is easy when you first start to get caught up in wanting to do it "right", especially when you have soent significant $ and made the commitment! I will not get too wortried as mine since day 3 have been in the negative.
arabrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lciobanu
I am in day 4 first week, I feel very tired and weak. My ketosis show moderate ..
lciobanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:17 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hudiman
Stats: 5'2" /155/ now at goal 125
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinc
Start Date: April 23, 2009
If possible, go get your second B12 shot. That should give you a little more energy. That is normal to feel tired and weak the first week. Being in any color on the ketosis stick other then negative is very good. Means you are burning fat. Don't get too caught up in checking for it. First thing in the morning is best. And any color other then the negative is great. Good luck in weigh in!
hudiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Maria93
Stats: 189.5/162/140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 2 July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
~Sue~ I totally agree with Ginny on this one. I did learn to keep my Ketostix in the guest bath since it is not used on a daily basis. The master bath gets pretty steamy when I shower. When you run out of the original bunch, just pop over to Fry's pharmacy or Walgreen's. They both sell them, I believe they are made by Bayer, in a yellow box, $8.99 for 50. They may be even less $$ at Sam's or Costco.

Jo
I bought a box of 50 Ketostix today at Walmart for less than 7dollars. They are made by Reli On
Maria93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:38 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lciobanu
2 more days and I am done with week 1
lciobanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Time to bump up this thread. With so many newcomers to the forum, a lot of questions come about ketosis that this thread can answer for you.

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wench
Stats: 190/175/145
WOE: Medi-Weight Loss
For the newbies that are drinking plenty of water but still showing in the darker shades...I was doing the same the first two weeks, and my clinic recommended upping the intake of electrolyte-enhanced beverages (smartwater, Powerade Zero, etc.). I had been taking in 16 oz. a day, upped it to 32 oz., and fell back within acceptable limits within a couple of days.

Just thought this might help!
Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
bump.
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SavLexiMom
Stats: 5'7'' 282/210.4/150
WOE: Restarted JUDDD 11/27/12 at 217.8
I'm supposed to be testing for Ketosis tomorow, so I've read up on this thread...but have a few questions.

I specifically asked at my appt. about testing with first morning urine (because that's what I thought I had read on here), and she told me not to do that because I would be dehydrated from over night. Is this correct? Should I drink a cup of water, and then test? Also, is it just testing once a day, everyday? Or should I be testing several times a day?

These are all things I should have asked at my appointment, but of course, I think of them on the weekend when they aren't open! Thank goodness for all of you LCF experts! I appreciate the help!
SavLexiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jsd79
Stats: 190/179.2/150 - started 5/22/12 (190.4/186/155)
WOE: HCG, have tried everything
Start Date: 11/7/11
Ketosis in week 1

My dr. told me not to test until day 4 of the plan. I'm at the end of day 2 and tested. My results were right in the middle of the pink and purple...where they should be. Is this common to go into ketosis so early on???

Jules
jsd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

No problem with testing early. The suggestion for day 4 is to give your body time to begin to flush out the carbs/sugar and bad stuff. For the majority of the population, day 4 is when ketosis generally will occur.

Testing first thing in the morning, per my clinic, and per my personal doc, is the best time of the day as the body is rested and working at optimum. You certainly can test whenever you wish, I would guess, just be consistent. And once a day is enough/

Jo
Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SavLexiMom
Stats: 5'7'' 282/210.4/150
WOE: Restarted JUDDD 11/27/12 at 217.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
No problem with testing early. The suggestion for day 4 is to give your body time to begin to flush out the carbs/sugar and bad stuff. For the majority of the population, day 4 is when ketosis generally will occur.

Testing first thing in the morning, per my clinic, and per my personal doc, is the best time of the day as the body is rested and working at optimum. You certainly can test whenever you wish, I would guess, just be consistent. And once a day is enough/

Jo
Thanks, Jo! I think you've answered every single one of my questions I've asked since I joined! Thank you!! I tested this morning when I first woke up and I was at Moderate, so yay! I will try and do it the same time every morning for consistency.
SavLexiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alngarcia
Stats: 237.6/161.5/150
WOE: Medi Clinics
Start Date: February 2010
So I am having some questions about my ketosis. Since day one, (now in week four) I have tested at either Mod or Large every single day. I have lost good weight and drink at least 128 ounces of water a day. Is this simply because I test first thing in the morning when I haven't had water all night or should I be worried? I have been reading all about how dangerous Large amounts of Ketones can be and I could have Kidney damage and now I am really worried. I know that I am eating properly and drinking water, could it just be a fluke that maybe I test a little high? Should I be testing at a different time? My clinic told me to check in the morning. Any advice would be very appreciated! Thanks
alngarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 02/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobyninc View Post
I do think that the Ketostix from Medi are not of good quality. Since March I have had 2 bottles of Medi stixs go bad for no apparent reason. I do live in Florida, so it is very humid but I am not living in a tent, we have the AC on 24/7!!!! Anyway, I quit buying the expensive Medi stix and bought from Walgreens, these are much cheaper and they appear to be keeping better.

So bottom line, if you are thinking your ketosis is out of whack then it is probably your ketone stix!
I live in Florida too and the doctor at my clinic told me to keep my strips in the fridge. He said that, in this part of the country, it's the least humid place in the house
Sshals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
Start Date: 02/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by alngarcia View Post
So I am having some questions about my ketosis. Since day one, (now in week four) I have tested at either Mod or Large every single day. I have lost good weight and drink at least 128 ounces of water a day. Is this simply because I test first thing in the morning when I haven't had water all night or should I be worried? I have been reading all about how dangerous Large amounts of Ketones can be and I could have Kidney damage and now I am really worried. I know that I am eating properly and drinking water, could it just be a fluke that maybe I test a little high? Should I be testing at a different time? My clinic told me to check in the morning. Any advice would be very appreciated! Thanks
Hi! Since I started testing, I've tested "large" every time. I drink at least 148 ounces of water a day (at least four glasses from my giant 32 oz restaurant glass and one 20 oz powerade zero). I have had three different counselors at the clinic. The first one was totally unconcerned since I was drinking that much water. The one I saw last week said that it was probably because I was a little dehydrated in the morning (when I test) and not to worry about it because I drink so much water. Based on her comments I started testing at different times in the day, and while the strips were slightly lighter they still most closely matched the "large". When I saw a new counselor on Friday I told her about my experiment and she told me not to worry because I was clearly getting enough water. At my first appointment with the doctor he said that an acceptable range included in middle three colors (small to large). If you are really worried, I would get a second opinion from your primary care physician.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txntv
Stats: 5'5" 169.5/131/140
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: March 25, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudiman View Post
Sue,
You don't need to buy any more of the sticks. Yours sound like they are working fine. Only test first thing in the morning. The color will change from time to time, depending on what you have eaten. As long as you are past the negative color you are fine. Even trace is a fat burner. Don't get too caught up in the color of the sticks if you are following the program. Good luck!
Ack! Hit negative for the first time ever today. Did nothing out of the ordinary. Guess I'll minimize carbs today (although they're rarely ever over 20g a day). I tested twice in case first stick was defective -- all other sticks have been fine. Nope. Gah!

I walked for an hour yesterday, but I have worked out much harder. I have a sore calf from a Charley horse attacked on Saturday -- so I had to walk slower. I doubt the workout was enough to steal all the keytones compared to all the other workouts I do.

Last edited by txntv; 04-26-2010 at 07:28 AM..
txntv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ericak44
Stats: 189/180/ size 10
Start Date: 10/1/10- restart 5/29/12
I was testing in the high range for ketone during my first week despite drinking tons of water and the PA in my office told me to make sure I at least 1 fruit/day. That brought me back to moderate where I have reamained steadily for the next 3 weeks.
ericak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimmerMandy
Stats: (218/205/160)
WOE: Medi-Diet
Start Date: December 1st 2010
Ketosis

I'm in my second week, and my doctor was vague about Ketosis.. Should you be in Ketosis throughout the entire program?
SlimmerMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

bumping up again for all our newbies!

Jo
Old 06-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippyatheart
Stats: 187/176/137
WOE: Induction
Start Date: June 8, 2012
Thank you very much for the info! I thought for sure I was doing something wrong as a newbie because I could not move past moderate. I searched ketosis on here and found this thread. Thank you again!
hippyatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tm501
I am in week 5 and have never been in it. The doctor said not to worry because there are some people that aren't able to achieve it. My weight is still coming off though.
tm501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiniMomma
Stats: 165.6/124.6/125
WOE: Medi 1-9-11
When I first started Medi I was so excited when I got into ketosis, a few weeks in I just dropped out of it... I spoke with the clinic they said it was normal. I asked here and got alot of great responses. Basically what I learned is if you have a trace or large amount of ketones it does not matter... Your in ketosis. There becomes a point when your body adjusts completely to burning the fat vs carbs and this is called ketoadaptation, your body is using your ketones efficently and is not spilling any into your urine. So possibly some just jump right into being in ketoadapted... If your keeping your carbs down and following plan than dont let the stix weigh on you. I have an interesting link (a couple years old) about it if anyone want me to PM it, I dont want to put links that I should not on here.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WillWork4Shoes
Stats: 152.5/132.4/125
Start Date: 07/10/2012
I read through this thread and didn't see an answer to this question...are we supposed to (ideally) be in ketosis for the duration of the Acute Phase? I was just wondering. I was in ketosis for the first 4 weeks, then was out this past week, and am trying to get back in by limiting carb intake. I didn't really go overboard on the carbs last week (to get out of it) but I noticed it happened when I ate some low-carb tortillas, and believe it was not necessarily just the carb amount, but the type of carbs I ate.
WillWork4Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OceanBreezes
Has anyone tried the individual wrapped ketone strips Ketostix model 2640? I do not test regularly, but I like to test about once a week. It seems like I waste alot of strips. I thought I would try these.
OceanBreezes is offline   Reply With Quote