Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #1771
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/22/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoreBK View Post
Hi everyone! I finished Day 1 with a nasty headache - unbearable, actually....I still have a positive attitude! I am going to do this!! I woke up aat about 2 am starving and I had two pieces of deli meat and water. I guess I am seriously craving carbs and caffine. I just hope this doesn't happen everyday until Friday. I kindof goofed and ate too light in the morning which didn't help. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks
I felt yucky all over on my 3rd & 4th days and one day on my 2nd week. From what I hear, it happens a lot... some people describe it as if they have the flu. The clinic folks told me it's one's body adjusting ~ and you WILL get through it & feel much better. Your positive attitude will take you through this, and you'll feel even more positive when your clothes start getting all baggy on you ! I've made that mistake of not eating enough a few times... and it makes me feel weak & sick. Keeping the journal & planning out my food each day works best for me.
Welcome aboard!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #1772
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NomoreBK
Stats: 177/166/140
WOE: Medi-Weight
Start Date: 9/16/2010
Thanks AnnK! I am trying to stay positive but it is hard! The headace about dabilitated me, ugh. Thank you for the motivation
Old 09-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #1773
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: susie-q
Stats: 5'10" 149.5/143.0/135
WOE: Medi-Weightloss Clinic
Start Date: September 09,2010
Hi Everyone,
I have a dilemmma... this is my 2nd week and I'm now on 800 calories and 25 carbs this is soooooo hard for me.... I'm not getting my calories.... the list of snacks I was given is so full of "fat grams"...
any suggestions on higher calorie snacks that are low carb and low fat?
oh, I better mention that I'm not a meat eater or seafood/fish either... I know this diet is all about protein and I do LOVE chicken... I could eat chicken for lunch and dinner...would that be ok?
I go for my 2nd weigh in on Wednesday and I will ask for suggestions on how to get all my calories in along with other questions.
started carbs yesterday and it knocked me out of ketosis... bummed! (the Dr. had me on week one diet for 10 days) now I'm gun-shy about eating carbs.... love steamed broccoli... had it for lunch and dinner yesterday...
ok, I feel better... got that off of my chest!
thanks for letting me vent....
Old 09-21-2010, 04:27 AM   #1774
Junior LCF Member

Hi again...
I went for my B-12 shot yesterday... severe fatigue!!!
I told the nurse that I was having a hard time getting 800 calories...
she suggested I go to Diabetes | Type 1 Diabetes | Type 2 Diabetes for low carb ideas and recipes... (for week 2 and beyond)
I don't know "dlife.com" has been posted before this, but it's a great site in addition to this site.
It's for diabetics, but like the nurse said, "we are on a low carb, no sugar diet"
I hope it is helpful to some of you...
tomorrow is my 2nd weigh in =)
Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #1775
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Susie - Thanks for the info about dlife, I'll check it out. MWL diagnosed me with insulin resistance and now that I've reached goal I'm trying to add more carbs in as instructed for transition....it's not easy because suddenly it makes me feel so hungry! I miss that in control ketosis feeling! It would help to have another resource and I know that I can do this...it's worth it to stay healthy!

Last edited by Fit2010; 09-21-2010 at 08:32 PM..
Old 09-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #1776
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
Susie - Thanks for the info about dlife, I'll check it out. MWL diagnosed me with insulin resistance and now that I've reached goal I'm trying to add more carbs in as instructed for transition....it's not easy because suddenly it makes me feel so hungry! I miss that in control ketosis feeling! It would help to have another resource and I know that I can do this...it's worth it to stay healthy!
Hi Deb,
Your welcome for the dlife info... I'm sorry you were diagnosed with insulin resistance... better to find out now and control it...
I'm with you on the carb situation... yesterday was the first time since starting MWL that I actually was hungry... I too associated with carbs...
I went for my 2nd weigh in this morning and I lost 1.5 lbs and 3.5 lbs of fat, so it made my day! so far I have lost 8lbs and couldn't be happier!
I'm out of ketosis but the dr said not to worry about it, if it does bother me, then I know how to get back into ketosis... but with my stature that is "normal".... I'm not a dr. but it scares me to think I'm out of ketosis because of carbs... and I only eat 1/2 cup of steamed broccoli and 1 cup of salad with fat free Italian (I bet I don't get but 1/2 teas of dressing) yep that's right, 1/2 "teas".. I don't like soggy salad....
so the beat goes on!!!
"CONGRATS" on being in transition!!
that's what we are all striving for!! Great job!!!
nothing is more important than your health! take good care of yourself!
have a great evening!!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #1777
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie-q View Post
Hi Deb,
Your welcome for the dlife info... I'm sorry you were diagnosed with insulin resistance... better to find out now and control it...
I'm with you on the carb situation... yesterday was the first time since starting MWL that I actually was hungry... I too associated with carbs...
I went for my 2nd weigh in this morning and I lost 1.5 lbs and 3.5 lbs of fat, so it made my day! so far I have lost 8lbs and couldn't be happier!
I'm out of ketosis but the dr said not to worry about it, if it does bother me, then I know how to get back into ketosis... but with my stature that is "normal".... I'm not a dr. but it scares me to think I'm out of ketosis because of carbs... and I only eat 1/2 cup of steamed broccoli and 1 cup of salad with fat free Italian (I bet I don't get but 1/2 teas of dressing) yep that's right, 1/2 "teas".. I don't like soggy salad....
so the beat goes on!!!
"CONGRATS" on being in transition!!
that's what we are all striving for!! Great job!!!
nothing is more important than your health! take good care of yourself!
have a great evening!!

If you are eating as you say, faithfully completed week 1, and are staying under 25 carbs per day after week 1, I wouldn't worry about it. Some people, for whatever reason, just don't register ketosis, although they can feel it and some can tell from their breath. I especially wouldn't worry if you have had good weight loss results.

A caviot to that, some people are extremely carb sensitive and 25 carbs per day are too much. If you suspect you are one of these sensitive people, you might try reducing your carb intake for a week or two and see if it makes a difference.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #1778
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
If you are eating as you say, faithfully completed week 1, and are staying under 25 carbs per day after week 1, I wouldn't worry about it. Some people, for whatever reason, just don't register ketosis, although they can feel it and some can tell from their breath. I especially wouldn't worry if you have had good weight loss results.

A caviot to that, some people are extremely carb sensitive and 25 carbs per day are too much. If you suspect you are one of these sensitive people, you might try reducing your carb intake for a week or two and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for the information Susie!
I am so detailed and focused, "right by the book"... in fact the dr. told me I was reading into the diet too much! I have not ventured away from the menu's and when they told me I could have 25 carbs... it worried me that it was too much! in fact, the most carbs I have had in one day is 19...
which to me was way too many...
I'll do like the dr. told me and not to worry about it... but, if I don't see a loss next week then I will have more questions for him...
Thank you again for your excellent explanation! I love this site!!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #1779
Junior LCF Member

Hi Everyone! Well, tomorrow is my first weight in. I am a little nervous. I feel like I haven't lost anything and I have been following the diet faithfully! I got on my home scale the third day and I went up (by my scale) and then I said forget it, I am not getting on the scale at all. So, I haven't been on the scale at all but my clothes are still just as tight I guess tomorrow will tell. If anyone has anything for support I would appreciate it right now!! I have been eating my calories staying around 504 to 515 a day. I can't eat eggs because I am allergic. We'll see what the doc has to say tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #1780
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msawhitt
Stats: 220/130/145
WOE: Medi
Start Date: August 11, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoreBK View Post
Hi Everyone! Well, tomorrow is my first weight in. I am a little nervous. I feel like I haven't lost anything and I have been following the diet faithfully! I got on my home scale the third day and I went up (by my scale) and then I said forget it, I am not getting on the scale at all. So, I haven't been on the scale at all but my clothes are still just as tight I guess tomorrow will tell. If anyone has anything for support I would appreciate it right now!! I have been eating my calories staying around 504 to 515 a day. I can't eat eggs because I am allergic. We'll see what the doc has to say tomorrow.

If it makes you feel better, my scale is never right and is conspiring against me I SWEAR. I have the same brand scale the clinics use, just a less fancy home version, and it is always way off. I've changed the batteries, and it is still never even close to what the clinic says! Especially when I've had a bad day, it adds a few pounds for good measure...Lesson learned the hard way, I don't weight myself at home anymore!!

I remember reading a post somewhere on this site that has stuck with me- by Susie, I'm pretty sure- that said something along the lines of "I can't pay attention to the scale, because I can't control how much I weigh. What I CAN control is how I eat, and the lifestyle choices that I make". At the end of the day, if you've truly done what needs to be done, the weight will come off and your body will thank you : )

lost 45 pounds in 3 months with MWL!

total loss of 90 pounds since May 2010

In maintenance : )
Old 09-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #1781
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kazlyons
My Fiancee' is starting today on this new adventure. I have been running and eating healthier for the last month and a half and she has decided to do this. So as the obsessive techno geek I am I searched and stumbled upon this great forum and passed it on to her. As a young couple(25-Me 26-Her) who both work all day, what are some tips for us that are on-the-go type tips.

Even though I am not on the diet I would like to help her out and motivate her, so what are some drinks that I should stock up on besides water(Which I mainly drink.)?

Also, I read a lot about fatigue and tiredness. I know exercise and diet go hand in hand, but should she take it easy on Week 1 with that?

It's also football season and the holiday season, and the travelling season. What about alcoholic drinks? We know beer is out, so what other drinks could she have when her parents come in town or we got out and socialize.

Veggies are a no go for week one, I didn't know that till I read the Tips on the very first page. So we have a family get together this Sunday where we usually grill out. What other food should I bring besides the appropriate protein to be cooked for her?

Sorry these are a lot of questions, but as the Thread Indicates...I am a newbie, and I just want her to be able to achieve this for herself.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #1782
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazlyons View Post
My Fiancee' is starting today on this new adventure. I have been running and eating healthier for the last month and a half and she has decided to do this. So as the obsessive techno geek I am I searched and stumbled upon this great forum and passed it on to her. As a young couple(25-Me 26-Her) who both work all day, what are some tips for us that are on-the-go type tips.

Even though I am not on the diet I would like to help her out and motivate her, so what are some drinks that I should stock up on besides water(Which I mainly drink.)?

Also, I read a lot about fatigue and tiredness. I know exercise and diet go hand in hand, but should she take it easy on Week 1 with that?

It's also football season and the holiday season, and the travelling season. What about alcoholic drinks? We know beer is out, so what other drinks could she have when her parents come in town or we got out and socialize.

Veggies are a no go for week one, I didn't know that till I read the Tips on the very first page. So we have a family get together this Sunday where we usually grill out. What other food should I bring besides the appropriate protein to be cooked for her?

Sorry these are a lot of questions, but as the Thread Indicates...I am a newbie, and I just want her to be able to achieve this for herself.
What a great support you must be for your fiance'! I've been going to Medi for nearly 10 weeks & love it. All of your questions are excellent & should be answered for her completely on her first appointment. Water is the best beverage & she'll need to drink lots of it, but Powerade Zero, Smart Water & other drinks with electrolytes are also recommended. I have every flavor of Crystal Lite, I think, too! Everyone is different, of course, but, as a beer lover, I've just stayed completely away from alcohol during this (acute) stage. We don't get that many calories or carbs as it is, so I don't go there for now. Also, the clinic staff explained that the body burns alcohol before it burns fat, so drinking can slow down one's weight loss. The first week is strictly protein (mine was 500 calories per day) to put the body into ketosis, so you're right, no veggies. She can have any kind of meat, also eggs, LF cheeses... that kind of thing. Again, the clinic will help her map out some food choices. Tell your fiance' to get on here, too ~ this site can be one of her biggest supports in this effort!!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #1783
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diertac
Stats: 196.6/167.2/155
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 09/21/10
I have looked through this thread but there are so many pages I haven't yet found the answer...

For Week 1 - is pretty much any 0g-1g carb cheese okay? I've got Laughing Cow cheese wedges and have also put a serving of shredded cheddar cheese on some eggs, but I wasn't sure if I was violating the week 1 rules. They only mention cottage cheese in their short list of things you can eat.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #1784
Senior LCF Member

Okay one more question: Does everyone usually get 500 calories the first week?

My counselor told me to aim for 700-800 and I don't know if that's because of my size, or my activity level, or what. I'm concerned I'm eating too much and that I won't lose weight.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #1785
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloryann11 View Post
Hey All I have a question:
Do any of you dream of eating foods? This happened last time I was on Medi as well and started again last night... I dream that I eat ice cream or cookies and wake up and have to remind myself I didnt... Wow can you say I was a sugar addict before
Has this happened to anyone else
Last night (today is day 4) I dreamt (is that right?) I ate something super sweet. I don't recall what it was but I remember in my dream hoping that the one serving wouldn't throw me out of ketosis!

Yesterday at work I went into a meeting and quite literally had a bowl of candy bar minis shoved at me as soon as I entered the room. Talk about being unprepared! I had so many millions of conflicting thoughts in the one second it took me to stutter, "No thanks" that I thought my brain would shut down.

(For the record, the candy pusher has no idea I'm trying to lose weight.) And, apparently the passing of a candy bowl is a rah rah thing they're doing in this new meeting format. Eeevil...
Old 09-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #1786
Major LCF Poster!

Horray for you diertac! Avoided the candy pusher and in the week you are about to go through carb withdrawal....don't give in!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #1787
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
How many calories and how many carbs each person is allowed varies from person to person and clinic to clinic. You are paying your clinic to help you, so just follow the plan that they give you and don't read too much into what other people on here say. We are all different and although are plans are similar they do vary a bit.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #1788
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
You are paying your clinic to help you, so just follow the plan that they give you and don't read too much into what other people on here say.
Oh dear, the voice of reason... You are treading all over the crazy voices in my head...

But I thank you for it... someone needs to shut them up.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #1789
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Oh dear, the voice of reason... You are treading all over the crazy voices in my head...

But I thank you for it... someone needs to shut them up.
LOL! I felt like I was out of my mind the first week... elated one minute & completely drained the next... I almost felt feverish towards the end of that week & asked my hubby one night if I might be the first person to die from the Medi program . Is that what rehab feels like?
Seriously, I ate Sargento sting cheese on the first week ~ my 1st week handout had Laughing Cow & several other cheeses listed on the "shopping list." Did they give you a list like that? AND, as the others said, ask your clinic staff any time you have a question! Welcome to our group & let us know how you're doing!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #1790
Senior LCF Member

Thank you AnnK! My list had only "cottage cheese" on it for cheeses. I thought about calling the staff, but then I thought, "How stupid does that sound?"

I've been doing okay this week, but this afternoon I finally called up my boss and explained to her that I was doing "this new diet", and that I *think* it's one of the reasons I've been so frustrated (and no doubt frustratING) at work this week.

I've done LC before (long ago, back when Atkins was pretty much the only LC option around and not getting much respect), so I figured that as long as the cheese was 0, or near 0 carbs, it wasn't going to throw me out of ketosis or seriously change up anything I'm doing.

I have a lot of questions for next Tuesday AM when I go back in. When you're there, it feels like information overload, especially on the first visit. But then you leave and suddenly a million questions pop into your head. Most of them have been answered by this thread, but leave it to me to come up with some new ones. I'm like a Medi 5 year old...always a new question.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #1791
Senior LCF Member

"I asked my husband if I might be the first person to die from Medi...."

HILARIOUS!!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #1792
Senior LCF Member

diertac-

My "list" has cheese, but only in week 2 and beyond. Like Lins said- you are paying your clinic to help YOU, so what goes for one person may not go for another. If all else fails, you could just skip it to have peace of mind? It is only one week, right?

My FAV cheese is Jarlesburg lite swiss slices- I get mine at Publix. It is a higher priced cheese, but it is 50 calories and 0 carbs per slice, and in my book worth every penny. It is about $5-$6 for a pack of 10 3/4 oz. slices where I live.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #1793
Major LCF Poster!

Stacey - you should add the name of your swiss cheese and where you get it, etc to the products thread we have here in the MWL site, I'm sure it will help someone when they are looking for a change. Sounds yummy!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #1794
Junior LCF Member

I'm in week 2 starting today. I am only allowed 600 calories total, I didnt ask why. I didn't think to ask, I don't think it's a stupid question. I think your a laughing cow violator <LOL> It's not a stupid question- ask them, that's what your paying for. I'm sure they hear everything!!

I lost 5.6 - suprised and happy. Didn't think I lost that much this week.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #1795
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jkeep5
Stats: 188
Start Date: 9.20.2010
i posted this question on another thread

Last edited by jkeep5; 09-24-2010 at 09:03 PM..
Old 09-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #1796
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tmah30
Stats: 157/151/130
Start Date: November 2014
Hi Everyone!
This is day 4 for me.The first 2 days weren't too bad but yesterday was horrible! I woke up feeling like completel crap! Stomach ache, i had absolultely NO engery, and wanted to cry. I had to force myself to eat breakfast and lunch. I started to feel better by late afternoon. My husband was soo good, he kept me going yesterday. Today i woke up feeling great (like myself), i feel like i have lots of energy.
I also have just about every flavor of crystal light.I keep telling myself.....next week i get to have veggies (i NEVER thought i would be happy about that...lol).
This forum is awesome, i started reading it the week before i started the program. It's nice to know i am not the only one "suffering" this first week.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #1797
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
Quote:
Thank you AnnK! My list had only "cottage cheese" on it for cheeses. I thought about calling the staff, but then I thought, "How stupid does that sound?"

I've been doing okay this week, but this afternoon I finally called up my boss and explained to her that I was doing "this new diet", and that I *think* it's one of the reasons I've been so frustrated (and no doubt frustratING) at work this week.

I've done LC before (long ago, back when Atkins was pretty much the only LC option around and not getting much respect), so I figured that as long as the cheese was 0, or near 0 carbs, it wasn't going to throw me out of ketosis or seriously change up anything I'm doing.

I have a lot of questions for next Tuesday AM when I go back in. When you're there, it feels like information overload, especially on the first visit. But then you leave and suddenly a million questions pop into your head. Most of them have been answered by this thread, but leave it to me to come up with some new ones. I'm like a Medi 5 year old...always a new question.

Do ask your clinic but in case it helps at all....my clinic allowed me cheese starting from day one because I don't eat meat and I never fell out of ketosis in acute until I did an intentional cheat. I ate a lot of cheese including, kraft fat free cheddar shreds (i think it has like 2 carbs), veggie slices "faux" cheddar and lots and lots of Sargento Light String Cheeses. The string cheese was my savior at snack time and still is a favorite.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:56 AM   #1798
Senior LCF Member

Week 1 done and in the books!

And I lost 11.8 pounds!!!

I haven't put my weight in my profile, because lots of people know me by this nickname and I don't really want to advertise where I am weight-wise in Google search...

But just this once: 196.6/184.8/135 here I come!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #1799
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Week 1 done and in the books!

And I lost 11.8 pounds!!!

I haven't put my weight in my profile, because lots of people know me by this nickname and I don't really want to advertise where I am weight-wise in Google search...

But just this once: 196.6/184.8/135 here I come!
WOW diertac ~ that's fabulous!! That's a huge loss & you should be VERY proud!! Congratualtions on successfully making it through your first week with flying colors.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #1800
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
WOW diertac ~ that's fabulous!! That's a huge loss & you should be VERY proud!! Congratualtions on successfully making it through your first week with flying colors.
Thank you!

To be fair, that last 10 pounds that I put on was mostly from a trip we took just two weeks ago, so I don't think it had gotten very comfy on my thighs yet. I was really hoping to take it off in the first week.

I'm now weighing about where I was when we left. To me, the big struggle will be getting into the 170's and staying below 180. That hasn't happened for a couple of years.

My counselor suggested I up my protein calorie intake by 100 because she thought 11.8 was a little too much (and I told her I was freaking starving on most days by 6PM) so I got the impression that I might have overdone it just a little bit. Still, I'm so happy. Thank you for the congratulations! The last couple of days of Week 1 were very, very hard and I was really hoping for a result that would make it all worthwhile.

I couldn't have made it through week 1 without these boards, recipes, ideas and support. Thank you! Looking forward to Week 2! (Although my lunch for work today is still purely week 1 stuff I'm heading out to buy almond flour and flax meal after I eat my lunch...)

Closed Thread