Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #1261
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LuvSunshine
Stats: 188/184/135
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 4/8/10
My 1st day!!

Well, I started my first day today. I'm dying of hunger. I went to calculate my calories, I realized what I did wrong. When I heard egg white, I had 2 hard boiled eggs and only ate the whites. That's 17 calories each. No wonder I'm so hungry. I believe I was supposed to eat the yolk too (for 70 calories). That means I'm going to eat some good rotisseire chicken breast (no skin)tonight. I didn't plan very well, but I've managed for the not planning well.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #1262
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbpl61
Stats: 5'8" 206/203/165
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 08/16/2013 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
I went for my first consultations today and got my starter kit. I am super excited! I have my grocery list ready for Friday (pay day), and have enough food to get through tomorrow. I am just ready to get through this first week because I know it's going to be pretty hard.

Starting weight 176.6
Heigth 5'1
Goal weight 136
-50 lbs to go
Wow! You are doing better than you think....you've already lost 10 pounds since all you need to lose is 40, girl, not 50!!!! (Unless I am having a senior moment and can't subtract....lol) Best of luck to you!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #1263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
No you are right that would be my blonde moment and I only want to lose 40lbs. Actually I'm pretty short at 5'1 and may want to go lower than 135 so we shall see.

Today was day one and I did just fine. I also woke up this morning to my TOM so that was interesting. I wasn't hungry at all and didn't mind what I was eatting. I know there are going to be hard days. I know there are going to be days when I crave sweets, but after today I have a hope that I can actually achieve my goals.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #1264
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txntv
Stats: 5'5" 169.5/131/140
Start Date: March 25, 2010
Here's a frustration statistic. According to MWL, I need to eat 1450 calories to maintain my current weight of 160 at 5'5" tall and early 40s. I browsed around to see what's typical -- and even an average woman weighing 145 would need 1900 cals to maintain. Why in the world are my numbers so low? No wonder I only lost 1.5lbs in my second week. This is gonna be a long haul.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #1265
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntv View Post
Here's a frustration statistic. According to MWL, I need to eat 1450 calories to maintain my current weight of 160 at 5'5" tall and early 40s. I browsed around to see what's typical -- and even an average woman weighing 145 would need 1900 cals to maintain. Why in the world are my numbers so low? No wonder I only lost 1.5lbs in my second week. This is gonna be a long haul.
Are you going by the number on your tanita readout? I believe that is a resting metabolic rate calculated based on your weight and does not account for your activity level. As you lose weight that number will go down because your weight goes down. At my clinic, once you reach maintenance, they actually measure your resting metabolic rate using a breathing device. Again, this is resting and does not account for your activity level.

FYI, I found this on the internet...

Tanita > Pro Body Composition Analyzers
•BMI: Body Mass Index is height to weight ratio

•BMR: Basal Metabolic Rate represents the total energy expended by the body to maintain normal functions at rest such as respiration and circulation.

•Impedance: Impedance reflects the body's inherent resistance to an electrical current. Muscle acts as a conductor of the electrical current, adipose tissue acts as a resistor.

•Fat %: The percentage of total body weight that is fat

•Fat Mass: Total weight of fat mass in the body

•FFM: Fat Free Mass is comprised of muscle, bone, tissue, water, and all other fat free mass in the body.

•TBW: Total Body Water is the amount of water retained in the body. TBW is said to comprise between 50%-70% of total body weight. Generally, men tend to have higher water weight than woman due to a greater amount of muscle.

•Desirable Range: Healthy range for Fat % and Fat Mass. This range is printed only when standard mode is selected.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #1266
Senior LCF Member

Question. I am on day 2, and I was wondering if there is a limit to the number of carbs if you are eatting off the the approved protein food list. For example yesterday I had 4, but today I will have eatten 11 (whey shake, and Hebrews National Hotdogs both contain some carbs). So how do I know if that is okay or not.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #1267
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CCCOX
Stats: 195-135-135
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 1/5/10
Hi Week one for me was under 20 carbs a day
Old 04-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #1268
Senior LCF Member

I am feeling great! Today is day 5 for me. And although I have a horrible sinus headache due to allergies, the rest of my body is feeling wonderful. I was a little dizzy last night, but it didn't last for long. I am into ketosis now, and hope to stay that way! I even went to a special dinner on Saturday night and was served a fancy steak dinner (we didn't have a choice of what we got), and I cut my steak into a deck of cards portion gave my hubby the rest, and didn't eat anything else on my plate. I even passed up my favorite dessert. On the car ride home I told myself how easy it was to eat right, and how much better I felt. I don't miss the food.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #1269
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dragonfire
Stats: 5'5"/260/226/135
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 04/07/2010 Restart 01/08/2011
I'm a newbie as well! I didn't know people were posting here. I've been posting in the April thread.

I weigh in tomorrow....talk about nervous! For me the headaches only lasted the first day.

I saw someone's post on protein calories. Feel free to correct me but I was told the 500 protein calories are calculated from the total of protein grams you are consuming; not 500 calories for the day total.

500 calories of protein = 125 grams protein OR 4 calories per 1 gram

so let's say 4oz. chicken breast is 30g protein, that is 120 calories of protein (30 x 4)

I use livestrong.com to journal my foods throughout the day to make sure I reach or go over the 125g protein minimum.

Not being preachy. I just want everyone to eat right. From what I've read on these forums, it's vital to eat at least 500 protein calories or our bodies go into starvation and that will slow our weight loss.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 AM   #1270
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dragonfire
Stats: 5'5"/260/226/135
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 04/07/2010 Restart 01/08/2011
Finished week 1! My scale can't decide if I lost 9.5 lbs or 10.0lbs even! Either way, I'm STOKED! I didn't expect such a big loss.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #1271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbpl61
Stats: 5'8" 206/203/165
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 08/16/2013 Restart
Still a newbie after all these weeks! ;)

I love reading posts in this thread even if I am on Week 8. I find it a place where I can go to re-group when I've slipped or need motivation. I have finished Day 1 of Week 1 today after deciding to re-do the first week to get back on track. I haven't been totally off track but need to see a good loss after zigzagging in and out of ketosis. My counselor suggested I may want to do this. I hope my next weigh in will reflect a nice number. My personal goal is to lose 7 pounds this week but I will be grateful for any number lost. I lost almost 11 pounds during my first week on the program back in February and have lost 23.8 pounds to date. Wish me luck! Congrats on everyone's journey with MWL! I cannot imagine ever going back to my old WOE. I remember how awful I used to feel. Good luck to all this week!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #1272
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KIRKRT
Carbs

I am unsure of something. If an item has 1 carb but 19g fiber and total carbs is 20 can we have it or can you not have fiber either?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #1273
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: corrinna
Stats: 253/238/140
WOE: Medi Loss/ Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
help! LOL

ok, so i hope this diesnt anger any of you but i am trying to do a modified version of this diet. i am deathly afraid of needles so i wont get the shots and because of my panic disorder i obviously cant take the spp suppressants so i had gotten a meal plan from a friend of mine a while back and of course i lost it when i finally get around to wanting to do this!
ive been on what i think her diet was for 3 weeks tomorrow and have lost 15 lbs but i want to make sure im doing it right
can i have whatever as long as its no or low carb and the foods for the day add up to 500 cals? im confused!
also, she said she drank liquor on her diet... would that hinder my weight loss? it seems to me it would! though its been hard for me to not have a drink so i didnt for week 1 but weeks 2 and 3 i have....
i also went off track one night and had a handfull of bannana nut cheerios and honestly havent lost that much weight after that.... should i go back to week 1?!
also, if anyone could make a list of the foods for me real quick i would GREATLY appreciate it!!!!!

thanks! im gunna go create my profile now
Old 04-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #1274
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jcfischer
Stats: 217/165/130
Start Date: April 2010
Hey guys...just finishing up Day 2 and I actually feel quite good!!
I'm wondering if I can be advised on a couple of things:

1) I know I'm supposed to drink some fluids with elecrolytes, so I found Vitamin Water 0 which is SO tasty, BUT has 4g carbs per serving. Should I go get the Powerade 0 instead?

2) I was told to count/record my calories (500-600/day) and not to worry about recording carbs. I was also told I could have cottage cheese, Lo Carb yogurt, Medi protein bars and shakes. My question is...as long as I'm having all protein meals, can i have a yogurt and a protein bar (for example) in the same day if I'm staying within my calories?

I was sailing along, but then realized the carbs in the vitamin water (i've only had 8 oz. each day) and then started thinking about those 11 carbs in the bars, etc and started wondering if I should be having those daily or should I be saving those for convenience purposes only.

Thanks so much for your help/advice!!

Last edited by jcfischer; 04-21-2010 at 07:12 PM..
Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #1275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom on a mission
Stats: Ht 5' 7" 247/156.4/160
Start Date: January 2, 2010
JC... :welcome to MWL!!

I'm certainly no expert here, but I'll give you advice that I've been given.

1) I would stay away from the carbs in Vitamin water, 4 carbs is a lot. Your best bets are PowerAde Zero and Crystal light (10 cal/16oz h2o).

2) Per my clinic, we are not allowed cottage cheese or yogurt til week 2. We can have Medi Bars and shakes. I count all of my calories AND carbs. I was told (and still follow) the 24g carbs/day rule. The bars are great in a pinch, but keep in mind that's almost half your daily carbs.

You'll find that each clinic offers different information/guidlines. I can only speak for mine.

I wish you lots of luck in the program. If you follow the plan, it WILL work for you too!!

REACHED GOAL WEIGHT ON 06/24/10
Total Loss: -90.6 lbs

Wellness...
Old 04-22-2010, 05:26 AM   #1276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txntv
Stats: 5'5" 169.5/131/140
Start Date: March 25, 2010
JC,

I could -- THANKFULLY -- have cottage cheese in week 1. I don't know what I would have done without it because it happened to be Passover. One thing you'll pick up from the forums... every MWL clinic is different, but they all work.

Good luck! It is working for me, and goodness knows I tried other plans.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #1277
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much guys! I just don't want to sabotage my first week, that's for sure!! I may try to just alternate and have 1 cottage cheese a day and one yogurt a day and skip the bars. My clinic told me I could have all of that, but didn't really guide me as to how to use them this first week, so I got paranoid! I'm on day 3 and feeling good!
Old 04-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #1278
Junior LCF Member

Ok, so I finished up my day 3 at 400 calories, so I needed something else. SO, I had a Medi bar...100 calories and 11 carbs. What would you have done instead? I was stuck on what to do....should I have just had more meat? My carbs are well under 20...I think I've been around 15-18 carbs these first 3days...is that acceptable for this first week?

Thanks guys!! Didn't know I'd have all these questions right off the bat!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #1279
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
JCfischer-sounds like you did well. Be sure to keep drinking your water too!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #1280
Junior LCF Member

Thanks! I'm drinking tons of water and got the Powerade 0 yesterday which is yummy!! Did the ketosis test this a.m. (this is day 4) and DEFINITELY in ketosis, so I guess the bars and Vitamin Water 0 haven't thrown me off too much (hopefully!)
Hope I'm not posting too much! You can tell I'm and excited newbie with lots of questions :-)
Old 04-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #1281
Senior LCF Member

Sounds like you had a great first few days. Just be warned that on days 4-5 I didn't feel so great. I called the clinic and they said that was just my body going through carb withdraws and to keep drinking my water and sticking to plan and I'd feel better quickly. And sure enough by day 6 I felt great again and have ever since. That may not happen to you, but it freaked me out a bit so I thought I'd let you know.

I've also learned that carbs affect different people in different ways. Some people can have close to 20 and still stay in ketosis, some people need fewer. I tend to eat carb heavy (I'm talking like the bars) in the morning or right before I exercise to make sure that I have burned it all off, before I go to sleep at night. I don't think I have to do that, it just makes me feel better....hehe, but as long as you are staying between 500-600 calories, less than 24 carbs, and drinking all your water you will do great!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #1282
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
Start Date: 02/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfischer View Post
Ok, so I finished up my day 3 at 400 calories, so I needed something else. SO, I had a Medi bar...100 calories and 11 carbs. What would you have done instead? I was stuck on what to do....should I have just had more meat? My carbs are well under 20...I think I've been around 15-18 carbs these first 3days...is that acceptable for this first week?

Thanks guys!! Didn't know I'd have all these questions right off the bat!
I keep deli meats and turkey pepperoni handy. It makes it easy to get some extra protein at the end of the day if I'm running low. Hard boiled eggs work well for this too.

I can't help you with the carbs as my clinic never gave me a number to aim for. I don't keep track of them at all.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #1283
Junior LCF Member

Ya know, I did feel more yucky Fri and Sat (days 4 and 5)...this is day 6, so hopefully on the upswing!
Thanks so much for the protein snack advice...I want to be giving myself the right sort of things to get my calories in!
You guys are great...I am so thankful! First weigh in tomorrow!!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #1284
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom on a mission View Post
Although I'm not technically a newbie, I have a newbie question. I know our main concern in Medi is to count calories and carbs. I'm a little bit curious about what level our fat intake should be. I'm careful to stay away from high fat foods, but is there a "Medi" limit to the amount/day?

Thanks!
I never received any specific information regarding fat. I was given a list of allowable cheese with serving sizes and told to count it toward protein calories and not to eat more than one serving per day. My other fat comes from protein, which is sort of self-regulating. I mean, if you eat prime rib it takes up more of your protein calories than chicken breast.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #1285
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mommybzm
Stats: 240Start ---210 current --- 195 (1st Goal)
Start Date: April 22, 2010
Here I go!

Thanks for all the great info.

I have my initial consultation on Thursday and I can't wait. I must admit I feel nervous, afraid I will fail (surely because of failing before)...of course I realize that I usually quit... so therefore fail. I am nervous I can't commit, but I want to. I lost my mom last year and have gained too much weight... and struggled even before that... so here I go. My motivation is there... we want to get pregnant and the dr. referred me to medi in order to get my BMI down...I think of that new little baby and think I can make these changes and it will be totally worth it... i want to learn new tools so I can come right back after the pregnancy as well....

anyway... i am excited and nervous all at the same time... but can't wait to get started.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #1286
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GirlInJersey
Stats: 291.2/207.0/180(for now)
WOE: Medi WeightLoss
Start Date: March 9, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommybzm View Post

I have my initial consultation on Thursday and I can't wait. I must admit I feel nervous, afraid I will fail (surely because of failing before)...of course I realize that I usually quit... so therefore fail. I am nervous I can't commit, but I want to. I lost my mom last year and have gained too much weight... and struggled even before that... so here I go. My motivation is there... we want to get pregnant and the dr. referred me to medi in order to get my BMI down...I think of that new little baby and think I can make these changes and it will be totally worth it... i want to learn new tools so I can come right back after the pregnancy as well....

anyway... i am excited and nervous all at the same time... but can't wait to get started.
and GOOD LUCK! You'll do great...you seem to have the motivation.

I am in the same boat as you. I want a baby and my Dr. said I need to drop some weight first. It keeps me totally motivated though...just keep your goal in mind every step of the way. I was never great at other programs before, but this one is working out really well for me!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #1287
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KIRKRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommybzm View Post

I also have the motivation because of wanting to get pregnant. Maybe we can use each other for support and motivation. I am in week 2. I did good in week 1, lost 10.3 lbs, but I didn't do as good this week. I don't think I lost any weight according to my home scale. I have not eaten badly, just had more calories than I am suppose to. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #1288
Junior LCF Member

Hi guys! Yesterday was my first day of week 2 and found I had some questions. I think I "know" the answers, but would love some feedback!!

1) If you eat 1 or 2 Tblsp. of salsa/pico da gallo, ff sour cream, light ranch, or ff cream cheese, is that counted in the "extras" category? (that's what it says on my sheet..."limit all extras, like condiments, to < than 100 calories a day) I would rather do that than have to count the salsa toward my fruit (b/c of the tomato)

2) When measuring 1 c. of greens, do you push them down and pack it, or do you keep the greens loose (does that make sense?)?

3) Is it better to eat less fat (ie ff sour cream) which yields more carbs or the real thing with less carbs?

Thanks so much!!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #1289
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sshals View Post
I never received any specific information regarding fat. I was given a list of allowable cheese with serving sizes and told to count it toward protein calories and not to eat more than one serving per day. My other fat comes from protein, which is sort of self-regulating. I mean, if you eat prime rib it takes up more of your protein calories than chicken breast.
Could you tell me about the cheese list? I was only really told low fat cheese sticks, but the menu sheet I was given lists low fat swiss, mozzarella and Laughing Cow spreadable cheese.
Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #1290
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfischer View Post
Could you tell me about the cheese list? I was only really told low fat cheese sticks, but the menu sheet I was given lists low fat swiss, mozzarella and Laughing Cow spreadable cheese.
Thanks!
Here is the list I was given - with the 1 serving per day limit.

1% cottage cheese: 1/2 cup
Fat-free cottage cheese: 1/2 cup
Laughing Cow Light: 1 wedge
Frigo Cheese Head Light: 1 stick
Cabot 75% Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar: 1 oz
Sargento Light String Cheese: 1 Stick
Polly-O Twists: 1 Stick
Kraft Fat Free Shredded Cheese: 1/4 cup
Kraft 2% Shredded Cheese: 1/4 cup
Athenos Reduced Fat Feta Cheese: 1/4 cup
Athenos Blue Cheese: 1 oz
Sargento Reduced Fat Swiss Cheese: 1 slice