Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #1081
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jana123
Stats: 5'4" 157/136.2/132
WOE: Medi-SouthPark
Start Date: January 29, 2010
I'm on week 1 day 6 and it's been good so far. Is it true that I can have reduced fat cheese this week or is that next week? I got some of the bars but I just noticed there is 11 carbs in each one. I was a little surprised and now I'm scared to eat one! I have had the shakes and those are yummy!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #1082
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SCgirlinFL
Stats: 259.4/181.8/140
WOE: Medi
Start Date: January 7, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jana123 View Post
I'm on week 1 day 6 and it's been good so far. Is it true that I can have reduced fat cheese this week or is that next week? I got some of the bars but I just noticed there is 11 carbs in each one. I was a little surprised and now I'm scared to eat one! I have had the shakes and those are yummy!
Hey Jana,

I wld say NO cheese this week. Next week you will be able to add in low-fat string cheese and ff or low fat cottage cheese. Your doc will/shld go over that w/ you on your 7th day visit...what you can add. You can ask him about the bars, but I would not even eat that & I am in wk 4. On your 2nd week you will be able to eat 15-20 carbs/day wh/ will come from the fruit, veggies, & cheese. In the end it's up to you how you want to spend your carbs & what works best for you. Good luck!
Old 02-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #1083
Senior LCF Member

Thin10,

Are you out there? If I remember correctly your 2nd week weigh in shld have been Monday. How did it go? Hope to hear from you soon, SCgirl
Old 02-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #1084
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: thinin10
Stats: 217/160
Start Date: 1/19/2010
I am still here :-) My second weigh in was 3.8 for a total of 6.2. I was kind of disapointed because I didnt have that initial big loss that everyone else had but I'm getting over it now. I asked to speak to the doc about the cramps and not having the big loss and was told "no". I called back and was promised that I will be able to speak with him at the next visit. In the other thread it was stated the cramps were from vitamin defiency so I'm trying to make sure I get the veggies. Thanks for checking on me.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #1085
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinin10 View Post
I am still here :-) My second weigh in was 3.8 for a total of 6.2. I was kind of disapointed because I didnt have that initial big loss that everyone else had but I'm getting over it now. I asked to speak to the doc about the cramps and not having the big loss and was told "no". I called back and was promised that I will be able to speak with him at the next visit. In the other thread it was stated the cramps were from vitamin defiency so I'm trying to make sure I get the veggies. Thanks for checking on me.
Go glad to hear you are sticking it out! If it were me, I wouldn't take NO for an answer. You are paying good money for the whole concept of losing weight under a doctors care. If you have concerns I would call and make an appoint ASAP or for when you go in for your 2nd MIC shot. Of course, that's just me, I am not a very laid back person (pros & cons). Let me know what happens.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #1086
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: deb328g
Stats: 233/216/160
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: January 23, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDIMIMI View Post
Are any of you coffee drinkers ? I am a BIG coffee drinker and I am concerned about using up too many carbs. My clinic said to use fat free half and half or sf french vanilla non dairy creamer. I have really been trying to just use a little bit, but I am having a hard time getting used to it that way.

What were you told about carbs and splenda? One person at my clinic said ewach packet is 1 carb, and someone else told me don't worry about it, I use it in my coffee as well.

I am doing half caff now, cuz the AS give me an energy burst.
Hey there Medimimi - I am a HUGE coffee drinker (bet I have you beat!)... I drink it throughout the day - but I was told to use Sugar-Free/Fat-free liquid half and half. I was having a problem drinking all the water - so the clinic told me that coffee counts as water. I am not really affected by the caffeine (I'm drinkng coffee now and ready to go to bed soon) - I am still losing weight - 8 lbs first week and according to my scale - should be down at least another 5 for this week. My appt is on Friday -so we will soon see
I can't do the artificial sweeteners or even flavored water (can't stand the after-taste) - but I have gotten use to just using the sugar free fat free vanilla half and half... the clinic suggested it - so I'm ALL over it!! Give it a try and let me know.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #1087
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinin10 View Post
Cramps are a sign that you are low in potassium, so increase your electrolyte beverages. You can also use Morton's light salt which has potassium.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #1088
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ZeeMeFit
Hi there!

I started the Medi plan today after the initial consultation early this morning. This is my second time around but I feel like such a newbie. The first time around, I lost 33lbs before getting pregnant in the middle of the program. After being diagnosed with POCS and told it was virtually impossible to get pregnant...it happened. Well, I tried many other plans and diets after giving birth and I have only been sucessful at gaining more weight. I sat my husband and I told him; "Ok, this is not just postpartum depression, I feel and look awful. I need to go back to what I know it works".
Well, day 1 has been pretty much "uneventful" but the headaches are killing me. My carbs withdrawals are worse than the hunger, but I remind myself it will get better (even though I know it might get "really" bad before it gets better).
I was allowed 500-700cals from protein and was somehow confused. Why they up my allowance? I truly forgot to ask. Despite this, I ate about 500 cals today. I look forward to share my experiences and progress with you. I am extremely glad I found this forum. This makes the second time around quite different.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #1089
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LostinAusten
Stats: 187.5/158/130
WOE: 1st MWL, now HCG
Start Date: 12/29/09
Susie, thank you for the very clear summation of the plan. It really helped clarify things for me! I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates your helpful posts.

Congratulations on your miracle, ZeeMe! I'm so happy for you. I'm sure you'll do great on this. Great job today! It got a lot easier for me after week 2, but I didn't have as tough of a time during Week 1. I'm sure you'll push through it and do great.

Welcome to all of the new people! This program is really working for me. I wish you all great success!

Last edited by LostinAusten; 02-03-2010 at 11:12 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #1090
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lizzyd
Stats: 5'4" 192/182/128
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Re-start 04/28/13
Hello All,

I haven't posted to LCF in a couple of years, but I decided to check in last week. For inspiration I looked at the Century Club threads and saw Jerry's blog. From there I discovered MWL, which I had never heard of before. I think it was just the kick in the butt I needed to get going again (thank you Jerry).

So...I've been lurking since the weekend, had my initial consultation (at the Miramar, FL, clinic) and started the plan yesterday morning.

So far, so good. No unpleasant side effects (yet---) and no raging hunger.

Just wanted to say "hey", I'm enjoying reading all of your back posts, and am looking forward to this weightloss journey with all of you.

Will post same on February thread.

Last edited by lizzyd; 02-04-2010 at 08:41 AM..
Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #1091
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LegalEagle
Stats: 5'8" 234/216/150
Start Date: January 5, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyd View Post
Hello All,

I haven't posted to LCF in a couple of years, but I decided to check in last week. For inspiration I looked at the Century Club threads and saw Jerry's blog. From there I discovered MWL, which I had never heard of before. I think it was just the kick in the butt I needed to get going again (thank you Jerry).

So...I've been lurking since the weekend, had my initial consultation (at the Miramar, FL, clinic) and started the plan yesterday morning.

So far, so good. No unpleasant side effects (yet---) and no raging hunger.

Just wanted to say "hey", I'm enjoying reading all of your back posts, and am looking forward to this weightloss journey with all of you.

Will post same on February thread.
Hi Lizzy! Welcome! You will love Medi... it is honestly the only plan that has been consistently working for me and my crazy travel schedule (and I have tried many diet plans, believe me!).. Also, I too am from South Florida! I go to the Aventura clinic - but, honestly, I have not been happy with them at all - they failed to give me a lot of information (like the results of my Day 1 tests, etc.) or they have given me incorrect information and I find much better advice on this forum. Nevertheless, I was considering switching over to the Miramar clinic, so I am definitely interested to hear what you think of it! Anyway, keep me posted and the best of luck with your first week! Honestly, there are amazingly generous folks who contribute to these threads who have lost impressive amounts of weight - they are not only inspirational, but also have invaluable advice.. You have found a great place for support in your new way of eating.. Take care!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #1092
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nomorerolls
Stats: 169/169/129
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/25/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb328g View Post
Hey there Medimimi - I am a HUGE coffee drinker (bet I have you beat!)... I drink it throughout the day - but I was told to use Sugar-Free/Fat-free liquid half and half. I was having a problem drinking all the water - so the clinic told me that coffee counts as water. I am not really affected by the caffeine (I'm drinkng coffee now and ready to go to bed soon) - I am still losing weight - 8 lbs first week and according to my scale - should be down at least another 5 for this week. My appt is on Friday -so we will soon see
I can't do the artificial sweeteners or even flavored water (can't stand the after-taste) - but I have gotten use to just using the sugar free fat free vanilla half and half... the clinic suggested it - so I'm ALL over it!! Give it a try and let me know.
Medimimi, deb328g,
I am the Queen of caffeine! I drink a fully caffinated cup at 11:15pm so that I can stay awake until the last load of laundry is done...My doctorless clinic told me to use FF 1/2 &1/2. I comply most of the time but when FF is not available...like during the day in meetings etc. i use regular but hold myself accountable for the full fat, calorie and carb count. Hasn't really seamed to affect the weight loss but then again I am not a 7lb a week'r like most! I am a very content, 2.5-3lb'r who's motto is a loss is a loss !!! The water thing gets tricky but I ususally have my water bottle next to my coffee cup. I play a head game were I reward myself w/ a sip of coffee for every 2 swiggs of water. Works for me!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #1093
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dwhite23
Stats: 174/162/140
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCgirlinFL View Post
WHOA dwhite...that is soooo far off from what I have been told, I wonder wh/ is correct? Here is what I can eat.
500 calories from protein
15 grams of carbs from fruit & veggies & yogurt
3xs a week they want me to include a fat like 2 tsp olive oil, 6 nuts(can't eat), or 1 1/2tsp salad dressing
These combined, depending on how I get my carbs, keeps my calories around 550-600.

I wonder why we are being told so different. I haven't been out of ketosis since I checked on day 4, but then again I am eating less grams of carbs. I am going in tormorrow and will ask. What has everyone else been told? How may calories r ya'll eating? How many grams of carbs?
It's on a printout with a sample menu that they gave me to start week 2.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #1094
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: malloryann11
Stats: 185/179.6/160
WOE: MWL
Start Date: November 3, 2009, Restart Aug. 24 2010
I LOVE COFFEE
Well duh I am in college... I like to go to Starbucks as a social thing but they are normally so bad for you BUT... I do a tall pikes place with a shot on SF cinnamon dolce, it has 0 cal and 0 carb... yes I made them show me the bottle, but they love me haha I add a little half and half and a pack of sweet n low and viola I have a super yummy starbucks for little cals and carbs!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #1095
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SavLexiMom
Stats: 5'7'' 282/210.4/150
WOE: Restarted JUDDD 11/27/12 at 217.8
Hey everyone! Today is my first day and everything is going good, so far! Just wanted to say hello and I am so very excited about this journey!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #1096
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
As regards Starbucks.....I put my own SF Coffeemate,and Torani/DaVinci SF syrup in my cup...and just have them put in the coffee. I control the "add ins" because I put them in at home before heading out. Works for me, and it is cheaper, and I am sure what I have in that cup.

I also have SF Coffeemate at work, so I am never without it. If I run out, well so sad, no coffee...just go after the water. I go through about 140 oz of water a day...that is water, all water, except for 1 bottle of Safeway Clear (Key Lime or Apple Cider current favs). Ya know, this program is all about making choices. And they are your choices. And you live with them, good bad or indifferent.

All those who know me on this forum know that I do not sugar coat anything. I tell it like it is, and if you are offended, I apologize in advance.

Jo
Old 02-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #1097
Senior LCF Member

Okay, Day 2 for me and I'm having questions. They said I should eat between 500-600 cal and wanted me to eat 5 times a day. The snack options included string cheese, cottage cheese, and the protein shakes. Is that it? Any other options? Also, only 1 protein shake a day, right? Thanks for helping out a newbie!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #1098
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jsd79
Stats: 190/179.2/150 - started 5/22/12 (190.4/186/155)
WOE: HCG, have tried everything
Start Date: 11/7/11
I started on Friday...so I'm day 2 as well. I was told no cheese, cottage cheese, or anything that was not a solid protein for week 1. After this week, I could add cheese and cottage cheese. I was not even told that I was allowed Shakes!!! I'm struggling but have not deviated.

Jules
Old 02-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #1099
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd79 View Post
I started on Friday...so I'm day 2 as well. I was told no cheese, cottage cheese, or anything that was not a solid protein for week 1. After this week, I could add cheese and cottage cheese. I was not even told that I was allowed Shakes!!! I'm struggling but have not deviated.

Jules
Really? I wonder why the difference?? I am definitely struggling, but I'm going to push through it. Good luck!!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #1100
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavLexiMom View Post
Really? I wonder why the difference?? I am definitely struggling, but I'm going to push through it. Good luck!!
I dont know. I'm going to the clinic in Boca Raton. I had better see a big weight loss, b/c I'm sitting here watching my daughter eat buttered popcorn and I'm not giving in, but really want to!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #1101
Junior LCF Member

Prescriptions

As I am only on day 2 of the plan, can anyone give me advice on the prescriptions? I'm taking the Rx that is 3 times a day. It makes me feel like I'm on speed and I'm not loving this. Has anyone been successful without the Rx? I am still taking the Calcium, fat burners, and Vitamins.

Jules
Old 02-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #1102
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
As I am only on day 2 of the plan, can anyone give me advice on the prescriptions? I'm taking the Rx that is 3 times a day. It makes me feel like I'm on speed and I'm not loving this. Has anyone been successful without the Rx? I am still taking the Calcium, fat burners, and Vitamins.

Jules
I'm on week 2 now. The first couple of days I felt wired also but it does get better. The appetite suppresants definitely help me but I make sure I take the last pill no later than about 4 or 5. I have heard of people not using them and losing weight. The first week I ate meat, egg beaters and cottage cheese a couple of times. I also had a couple of protein shakes, those are really good!

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #1103
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana123 View Post
I'm on week 2 now. The first couple of days I felt wired also but it does get better. The appetite suppresants definitely help me but I make sure I take the last pill no later than about 4 or 5. I have heard of people not using them and losing weight. The first week I ate meat, egg beaters and cottage cheese a couple of times. I also had a couple of protein shakes, those are really good!

Good luck!
We arent allowed cottage cheese at the Boca Raton Clinic...total bummer. They didnt mention protein shakes either. I think i'll call on monday to ask about those. Do you use the Medi shakes, or have you found something at the store?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #1104
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
We arent allowed cottage cheese at the Boca Raton Clinic...total bummer. They didnt mention protein shakes either. I think i'll call on monday to ask about those. Do you use the Medi shakes, or have you found something at the store?

I used the Medi Vanilla with 1 packet of Crystal Light Orange flavor. I have found lots of good recipes in the Medi Drink Recipes thread. Just use the ones without fruit for the 1st week.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #1105
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
jsd,

Are you sure? In my week 1 materials it clearly states that the allowable protein sources are very lean protein, lean protein, medium fat protein, cottage cheese, and Medi Protein Shakes. Then it has a table with examples of each catagory. Non-fat cottage cheese is listed under the very lean catagory, and low-fat cottage cheese is listed under the lean catagory. You might want to ask your clinic about this because I though these were standard handouts.

Also, I would like to caution you to read the label. Cottage cheese can have as much as 5 carbs per serving. This may be why they don't want you to have it in week 1. Sadly, I have found in various products that some manufacturers add sugar when they take out the fat.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #1106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey Jsd,

I go to the Boca clinic as well and have had pretty good results. I was told to avoid the cottage cheese wk 1 due to the high amount of carbs...Re the Shakes, I was told I cld have one a day, but try to drink it in the am or early afternoon due to the carb content. They really want you having little to no carbs wk 1. The Chocolate has fewer carbs due to the fiber & is considered 1.5 carbs (so I was told) where as the vanilla is 3.5 carbs so I stuck w/ the chocolate.

Regarding the Rx...you may want to try halving the pill. That was a suggestion they gave me if 1 was too much. You can do it w/o the Rx, I just think it is used as an appetite suppressant as well as a metabolism booster so it helps, but is not required. If you can handle 1/2 that maybe better than none at all.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #1107
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
jsd,

Are you sure? In my week 1 materials it clearly states that the allowable protein sources are very lean protein, lean protein, medium fat protein, cottage cheese, and Medi Protein Shakes. Then it has a table with examples of each catagory. Non-fat cottage cheese is listed under the very lean catagory, and low-fat cottage cheese is listed under the lean catagory. You might want to ask your clinic about this because I though these were standard handouts.

Also, I would like to caution you to read the label. Cottage cheese can have as much as 5 carbs per serving. This may be why they don't want you to have it in week 1. Sadly, I have found in various products that some manufacturers add sugar when they take out the fat.

Susie,

First of all, congrats on your success! You look great. At the Boca clinic, the Dr. specifically crossed out the cottage cheese. He said, I know its listed but don't eat it week 1...too many carbs.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #1108
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LegalEagle
Stats: 5'8" 234/216/150
Start Date: January 5, 2010
Quote:

Jules
Hi Jsd!

I do not take the Rx, as my other physicians (General Practitioner and OBGYN - who are very well-regarded in their fields) advised against taking it. Moreover, I am susceptible to heart palpitations and did not want to risk anything. Nevertheless, many folks here have experienced great results on the Rx; however, if you do not care for the side effects, losing weight on Medi can definitely be accomplished without it. For example, I lost 8.5 pounds the first week and have steadily been losing since (despite my traveling extensively for work and not making it to the clinic). The first week was the worst without the Rx, but I think once my body got used to this way of eating and my addiction to carbs subsided, everything got much easier.. now I have more energy than ever (but I do not feel as though I am on speed ).

Of course, it is all a personal choice! But if you decide to not take the Rx anymore, please do not hesitate to ask me any questions.. it is definitely doable without!

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #1109
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
Hi Jsd!

I do not take the Rx, as my other physicians (General Practitioner and OBGYN - who are very well-regarded in their fields) advised against taking it. Moreover, I am susceptible to heart palpitations and did not want to risk anything. Nevertheless, many folks here have experienced great results on the Rx; however, if you do not care for the side effects, losing weight on Medi can definitely be accomplished without it. For example, I lost 8.5 pounds the first week and have steadily been losing since (despite my traveling extensively for work and not making it to the clinic). The first week was the worst without the Rx, but I think once my body got used to this way of eating and my addiction to carbs subsided, everything got much easier.. now I have more energy than ever (but I do not feel as though I am on speed ).

Of course, it is all a personal choice! But if you decide to not take the Rx anymore, please do not hesitate to ask me any questions.. it is definitely doable without!

Good luck!
I'm taking 1 a day instead of the recommended 3. I am taking the fat burners which I think have given me some unwelcomed side effects...so i dont know if I will continue on those. I cannot wait until the 7 days is over!!!!! I'm craving fruit and veggies. I'm just so bored with protein only and worst of all, I got to feed my kids amazing food tonight and I just smelled it and stared!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #1110
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm taking 1 a day instead of the recommended 3. I am taking the fat burners which I think have given me some unwelcomed side effects...so i dont know if I will continue on those. I cannot wait until the 7 days is over!!!!! I'm craving fruit and veggies. I'm just so bored with protein only and worst of all, I got to feed my kids amazing food tonight and I just smelled it and stared!
jsd,

Have you tried grilling some fresh meats on the bbq? My first week, to keep from the boredom I grilled shrimp, scallops, chicken, fish, and even fillet mignion. Heck, I would have grilled lobster if I knew how. I went for quality. I also made omelets with eggbeaters. Hang in there. It is only 1 week and I swear it gets better. Also, have you tried EAS Advantedge shakes. The vanilla and strawberry have only 2g of carbs, 110 calories and 17g protein.

If you get light headed or just plain hungry, chicken broth is good as are the hydration drinks. Good luck and keep us posted.
Closed Thread