Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #871
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnieMae
Electrolytes

I drink the Powerade Zero...it comes in a 32 oz. bottle..I then use the bottle for water...don't have to fill it often.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #872
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: saraanne
Stats: 188/161/140
WOE: Medi-Weight Loss
Start Date: 01/06/10
Day 3

SC GirlinFL and Shananagins,

since were all on the same day I have a question for ya. Are either of you having stomach issues. I have been sick sick sick. My husband thinks it might be the protein shakes from the clinic that I've been drinking. He says the whey in the shakes basically cleans out your gut and all the water in you. Have you had anything like that happen. Other than that, everything is going great. I was prowling for a snack a little earlier today but that passed.

sara
Old 01-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #873
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
Sara- It might be the Vitamin. Are you taking the Medi Multi-vitamin? I puked and had diarrhea for the first 3 days I was on the program but once I stopped taking their multivitamin I was fine. I showed the Dr my regular over-the-counter vitamin and they approved it, so I have been taking that since that point.

Just one idea
Old 01-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #874
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shananagins
Stats: 251/236.5/170
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 1/7/10
Sara,I have not had stomach issues, but I have not tried the shakes yet. I got a jar to take traveling with me, I guess I should try it out before I try it on the road. The supplements are not a problem for me, except for some fishy burps on occasion! I hope you are getting enough water. I am glad its going okay for you even with being sick! Good for you to stick it through!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #875
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: QueenCityDiva
Stats: 5'10" 266/245.4/165
WOE: Medi
Start Date: Originally 10/09 Restarted 1/10
SO PROUD of all of you newbies! I'm right there with ya in week 1 and it's tough, but WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #876
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hlkgirl
Stats: 209.6/196.6/150
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 01/06/2010
Today is Day 5 and I've been really good. Luckily I haven't experienced the same symptoms as some of you. I actually feel better than I have in awhile, and I know that part of it is mental. Yesterday was hard because it was the weekend. I am home with my family and preparing them food, and see all the stuff in the pantry. And to top it off we went to the movies, that was torture. I don't usually get anything anyway, but the smells and the sights was a little overwhelming , but I resisted and came home to my turkey hot dogs.

Yesterday was the first day I experienced the "fishy burps" and normally took the Omega in the evening, so I will change back to that...I was also advised to freeze them. I just wait until after I've eaten to take my vitamins and do feel a little nauseous for awhile, but that helps me not eat until lunch.

But 95% of the time I feel really good. I haven't had caffeine or chocolate in 5 days, and honestly I don't really want it. I would normally kill for it. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind a piece right now, but it doesn't really appeal to me yet.

I too am a consistent weigher, I can't help it. I've done it even when I know I was going to gain weight. And I've already seen progress. The ketosis issue has been weird for me, large in the morning and I'm having trouble telling if it's beige or pink in the evening. I drink most of my water during the day, so I can sleep without getting up 19 times.

Thanks for letting me share my first week with you and I like that everyone shares their hardships as well as successes. Other than getting bored with breakfast, as I normally dabbledin carb breakfasts on occasion (cereal, pastry, muffins, or even toast or Eggos), I will figure it out.

Good luck to everyone!!!!

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."
– F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 01-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #877
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
Start Date: May 5, 2009
Hi Heather - you only need to test for ketosis once a day - in the morning is best. I am a weigher too, so it is really personal choice (even though Medi suggests once a week).

Last edited by NOT2fat4fun; 01-10-2010 at 08:08 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #878
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SCgirlinFL
Stats: 259.4/181.8/140
Start Date: January 7, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraanne View Post

since were all on the same day I have a question for ya. Are either of you having stomach issues. I have been sick sick sick. My husband thinks it might be the protein shakes from the clinic that I've been drinking. He says the whey in the shakes basically cleans out your gut and all the water in you. Have you had anything like that happen. Other than that, everything is going great. I was prowling for a snack a little earlier today but that passed.

sara
Hey Sara - so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I have 1 shake at night as my late night snake and have had no problems. I was advised to only have 1 a day due to the carbs in it. I also seem to be fine with the multi vitamin. I was advised to take it w/ my largest meal and so far that seems to be working. If you r not better by tomorrow I would definitely call your clinic to check out your options. This diet is hard enough and you shouldn't have to deal w/ all that on top of it. So sorry, hope these suggestions help. Also, one of the older members suggested a shake you can get at GMC called an EMS Shake...maybe you could go by there and try to find a different shake w/ similar carbs/sugars. Good Luck!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #879
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning everyone! I tested this am and was in Ketosis...yaahh! Still struggling w/ headaches, but all else seems to be going well. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #880
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fitin2010
Stats: 211/203.6/150
WOE: medi
Start Date: January 2010
Started yesterday...going better than I expected. I am already in ketosis! : )
Old 01-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #881
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Hey fitin2010....you stealing my name?! Welcome Newbie! You can do this...I've been at it for 13 days and weigh in again tomorrow. Fit2010 (Debbie)

Guess we're both thinking positively for this year....but really, did you copy?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #882
Major LCF Poster!

Stomach issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraanne View Post

sara
Hi Saranne, I'm now on day 13. But day 4 through day 8 I had stomach issues(diarrhea sorry to say)...I have not had the medi shakes so I know that wasn't it. I think it was my body being cleansed of the carbs and rebelling to the change! I have not been taking the colon cleansers because I already take an Fish/borrage/Vit E combo capsule and that sort of keeps thing regular being on just the protein diet. I also only need to take the appetite suppressants once a day, if that, because the protein and and being in ketosis is enough for me. Anyway....you may look up candida or check this website for the candida/yeast diet thread. I'd previously lots (and am now again) taken antibiotics for recurrent sinus infections which has made a change over time in my intestines understanding of normal flora (normal bacteria). Plus I've previously taken steroid tablets (Predisone after a shoulder injury and knee injury). Those things put out mixed messages to the immune system and the normal flora got messed up and it really makes you CRAVE carbs...almost unsatisfactorily crave them, which only makes it worse. By going through the carb fast in week one my body "killed off" the candida and I felt bad due to the toxins in my body from the die off. On my day 5 I went to a wedding and ate a couple bites off the diet (you can go back and read it about 1/1/10 or 1/2/10)....and there were consequences! I also think I've learned that I have food allergies. Singing in church today (in the congregation) I noticed that my voice no long cracks...and it's done that for about 14 years...I think it's because I've limited myself to protein and approved medi veggies and haven't yet introduced the thing(s) I'm allergic to/that I didn't know I was allergic to. Also, I'm expecting my prediabetes to be reversed by the time I reach goal. So I see multiple benefits from this program and you just have to understand that it's worth it! I was unknowingly and knowingly assaulting my own body with my food previously!!!
My grandfather died of stomach cancer. For the past 8 years or so I have had to take antacids throughout the day. A "scope" 1 1/2 years ago showed irritation but all else ok. Well, you irritate something long enough and it WILL become cancer. So, why do that to myself...for a brief pleasure...if I know my body reacts to it like I'm pouring lye?! I know this was much more information than you may have wanted re: stomach issues, and not everyone in Medi will/has gone through this. But I'm also an RN and know better than to ignore symptoms, and feel an obligation to teach others. End of lesson!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #883
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: saraanne
Stats: 188/161/140
WOE: Medi-Weight Loss
Start Date: 01/06/10
thanks for all the input on the stomach issues. I only drank half a shake today and have felt somewhat better. I haven't been as sick today. Tomorrow I'm going to forgo the shake completely and see what happens. If I don't get sick after being off the shake for a day or two I'll chalk it up to that. If I continue to get sick then I'll start investigating other things. Each one of the ideas you've thrown out there make sense. I guess a lot of it is trial and error.
sara
Old 01-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #884
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom on a mission
Stats: Ht 5' 7" 247/156.4/160
Start Date: January 2, 2010
I have a "Newbie" question... I am just beginning week 2 and can add my veggies/fruit. My quesion is whether or not we have to eat them or can we stay on strictly protein? Is it harmful to do so? My clinic is closed on Mondays, or I'd call them tomorrow.

Thanks-Peace to all.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #885
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fitin2010
Stats: 211/203.6/150
Start Date: January 2010
Fit 2010...no, I didn't steal your name! I just started on this post today and had to come up with a username real quick. I usually use my daughters name but didn't want to do that for this! My new motto is Fit in 2010 so that is what I used! : )
Old 01-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #886
Major LCF Poster!

That is my new motto too! Fit2010 (Debbie)

It's all good....besides, I have my photo posted. Click on the photo and it will take you to a close up (beware...flabby arms will greet you!) The photos were taken when we were on a trip to Texas, hiking in canyon near Canyon City.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #887
Junior LCF Member

What is the difference between a carb and a net carb? I'm confused which one this plan uses when determining the amount of carbs.

And this is a little premature since I haven't even had my first weigh in, but for those that are in maintenance what is next? Is the entire acute phase like week 2? I know that I can't have donuts everyday, but I'm just not sure I can eat like this forever.

I will ask these questions at my appointment, but I am just wondering. I guess it just seems weird to me only eating a porkchop for dinner. But I need to retrain myself because I'm not hungry, it's really awesome.

Okay I'm hanging in there, thanks for listening!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #888
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkgirl View Post
What is the difference between a carb and a net carb? I'm confused which one this plan uses when determining the amount of carbs.

And this is a little premature since I haven't even had my first weigh in, but for those that are in maintenance what is next? Is the entire acute phase like week 2? I know that I can't have donuts everyday, but I'm just not sure I can eat like this forever.

I will ask these questions at my appointment, but I am just wondering. I guess it just seems weird to me only eating a porkchop for dinner. But I need to retrain myself because I'm not hungry, it's really awesome.

Okay I'm hanging in there, thanks for listening!
I think you are premature in deciding what you can handle foodwise when you are not even through week one. After week one the options open up completely and if you are creative you can satisfy your eating cravings. I strongly urge you to check out the recipe threads. Seriously, on this plan I have had eggs benidict, french toast, crustless pizza, crustless quesidillas, crustless philli cheesesteak, and the list goes on.

You have to seriously look at how much you want this and what sacrifices (which turn out to not be sacrifices at all once you adjust) you are willing to make to be where you want to be weightwise.

I hear a self-defeating tone of throwing in the towel before you have even gotten started. I hope I am mistaken, because this is a plan this is completely doable and really works. Please hang in there and try to have a more positive and adventurous attitude and you will be rewarded with success.

Last edited by SDC2; 01-10-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Old 01-11-2010, 05:25 AM   #889
Junior LCF Member

Hi Susie,

Oh I'm not giving up, just wondering is all...I admit that I need to "retrain" my way of thinking about food that's all. I appreciate the support, I'm just needing a little understanding long term. I probably need to just focus on one day at a time, as food has always been a comfort and now I know I ate all those things because I wanted to, I seriously am not craving anything. Yeah it sounds good, but I don't feel like I have to have it...just different.

I have so much energy and haven't felt icky that many have, and that really helps. And I have reached ketosis two days in a row. Tomorrow is my first weigh in...I think I will be happy with the results! Have a great day!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:29 AM   #890
Senior LCF Member

Hey Mom on a mission - Unfortunately I cannot speak from experience b/c I am only on day 5, but thru my research and talking with the staff of my clinic I think it is important to atleast add some veggies...they warned about the fruit due to the high sugar/carb...I think tht was one of the big differences b/w them and some of the other all protein diets. Your body actually needs the fiber and vitamins veggies can give you so you continue to lose weight quickly due the high protein diet but also benefit from the veggies. It's only one day though so I am sure I wouldn't hurt to wait until tomorrow to ask. I wish I was in your boat...I would give my right pinky toe for some veggies about now Kudos to your willpower!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #891
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JulesDouce
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 1/2/10
WEEK 1 RESULTS

I finished week 1 on Sat and LOST 7.4 LBS! YAY!

My fiance says he can already see the changes in my face and stomach =)

Only problem is Sat and Sun I seemed to go into self sabotage mode. Went out to dinner Sat night and had seafood casserole (plain) with green beans...and 2 vodka + diet cokes. I only planned to order one but the waitress automatically brought a second round and I didnt want to be the freak sending my drink back for water the first night I meet my fiances friends...

For some reason Sat & Sun I became insatiably hungry. Had people over for the football game and a bunch of teens over hanging out. I made pasta, chips etc for the guests and I didn't touch any of it. When I did 'cheat' though, I made sure it was on protein. I ate alot of cheese, pepperoni, sliced ham and Kilbasa. Luckily Sun morning I was still in ketosis but didnt have time to check this morning.

I dont know why I was suddenly so hungry. Everyone around me had the hungry horrors too. I probly didnt drink enough fluids and stay on top of the pills. Its easier to do at work. Sometimes I think as soon as I lose a couple pounds sub-consciously I feel like I have to eat more so I dont starve or think I can eat more since i lost. Feels like SELF SABOTAGE!

Anyway, I'm back to the plan this morning and WRITING stuff down as I certainly did not want to document yesterday. I will be so disappointed if I mess up my weight loss efforts. Does this happen to anyone else?

Have a good week everyone!
Jules
Old 01-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #892
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CCCOX
Stats: 195-135-135
Start Date: 1/5/10
WARNING--I learned my lesson-took vitamin while cooking my egg-not eating threw up all morning SATURDAY--ugh--never again--and my bad breath is killing my hubby!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #893
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkgirl View Post
Hi Susie,

Oh I'm not giving up, just wondering is all...I admit that I need to "retrain" my way of thinking about food that's all. I appreciate the support, I'm just needing a little understanding long term. I probably need to just focus on one day at a time, as food has always been a comfort and now I know I ate all those things because I wanted to, I seriously am not craving anything. Yeah it sounds good, but I don't feel like I have to have it...just different.

I have so much energy and haven't felt icky that many have, and that really helps. And I have reached ketosis two days in a row. Tomorrow is my first weigh in...I think I will be happy with the results! Have a great day!
Heather,

I am glad to hear that. I think that people who struggle with their weight will always have to be careful with what they eat. Many of us (me especially) have an all or none mentality. As a maintainer, I still follow the acute plan and add in extra vegetables and fruits to make up the extra calories I am allowed to have. I occassionally will have a slice of whole grain bread, or a sweet potato, but these are only occasional. I do not want to get the cravings for carbs back, so I am very careful about what I eat. If you read some of the maintenance thread posts you will see that maintenance is not easy and requires work.

On a happier note, my metabolism is better than it has ever been. I think this is due to both strength training and the dietary suppliments I am taking. I got a Bodybugg for Christmas and depending on the amount of activity I burn between 1900 and 2700 calories per day.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #894
Senior LCF Member

SCgirlinFL- Thanks for the input. I enjoy the veggies and would pick them over the fruit any day of the week, so I'm luck that I like the lower carb choice. I guess I was just thinking out loud. I will certainly ask at my clinic tomorrow!

Dining out with my family has become interesting. I have to make sure I remember to order without any of the usual toppings on my steak, ie: blue cheese, bernaise, bacon, etc! I did have some grilled asparagus with a 4oz. Filet Mignon last night at a restaurant with my kids. Yummy for sure! However- I felt VERY full and bloated all night. Not sure if it was the veggie.

Peace

REACHED GOAL WEIGHT ON 06/24/10
Total Loss: -90.6 lbs

Wellness...
Old 01-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #895
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 38:5'5 256.6/228.4/125
Start Date: 12/29/09 RI 12/10/10 RII 06/01/11 RIII10/08/12
Hi Susie,
What's a bodybugg?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #896
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesDouce View Post
I finished week 1 on Sat and LOST 7.4 LBS! YAY!

My fiance says he can already see the changes in my face and stomach =)

Only problem is Sat and Sun I seemed to go into self sabotage mode. Went out to dinner Sat night and had seafood casserole (plain) with green beans...and 2 vodka + diet cokes. I only planned to order one but the waitress automatically brought a second round and I didnt want to be the freak sending my drink back for water the first night I meet my fiances friends...

For some reason Sat & Sun I became insatiably hungry. Had people over for the football game and a bunch of teens over hanging out. I made pasta, chips etc for the guests and I didn't touch any of it. When I did 'cheat' though, I made sure it was on protein. I ate alot of cheese, pepperoni, sliced ham and Kilbasa. Luckily Sun morning I was still in ketosis but didnt have time to check this morning.

I dont know why I was suddenly so hungry. Everyone around me had the hungry horrors too. I probly didnt drink enough fluids and stay on top of the pills. Its easier to do at work. Sometimes I think as soon as I lose a couple pounds sub-consciously I feel like I have to eat more so I dont starve or think I can eat more since i lost. Feels like SELF SABOTAGE!

Anyway, I'm back to the plan this morning and WRITING stuff down as I certainly did not want to document yesterday. I will be so disappointed if I mess up my weight loss efforts. Does this happen to anyone else?

Have a good week everyone!
Jules
Jules- Congrats on the 7.4 loss, that's fantastic!! Weekends can be so tough. Especially ones where there are events/parties planned. Being a fellow New Englander, I'm sure you'll appreciate this story about my hubby. He is a season ticket holding, tailgate fanatical Patriots fan. He went to the game yesterday, tailgated with his usual crew. None of them know his is on MWL. He wouldn't drink any beer and as he put it, "It was the toughest day of my life". However, he did indulge in a bit of seafood chowder, a few fries and more meat than he should've. He felt so awful last night. Just gross all around. It's amazing how easily your body gets used to a certain way of eating. He's back on track today and already feels better physically and emotionally.

The long and the short of it is that we all stumble, we're human. Getting back at it right away, which is what you're doing, is the best way to go. Move forward...you can do it!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #897
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined Gemini View Post
Hi Susie,
What's a bodybugg?
They use them on Biggest Loser, but it is a band that you wear over your tricep and based on temperature, steps, pulse, etc, it tracks the calories you burn. It is supposed to be 90% acurate. Then you download the information onto their website, journal your food, and it tracks your calories deficit or surplus. They also have a graph so you can see how your calorie burn progressed throughout the day. The report looks something like this...

Monday, January 11, 2010

Calories Burned so far today 1224 50%
TARGET 2450

Calories Consumed so far today 318 16%
TARGET DEFICIT 500

Calorie Balance so far today 906
DEFICIT

Today, you have 1226 calories are left to burn! 1632 calories are left in your budget based on food log 33% complete.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #898
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kudzususan
Stats: 309/259/?
Start Date: December 2009
Hi everyone:
First post for me, but wanted to say thanks for all the great advice. I'm finishing up week 4 and have visited regularly for inspiration. I'll meet with my clinic today, but wanted a roundup of advice on a couple of issues:
*I'm having a hard time taking in as many calories a day as the clinic recommends. I'm using Daily Plate to plan my meals for the day so I can spot mistakes before I make them, but I'm getting hung up between taking in too much fat, cholesterol and sodium and meeting the calorie requirement. I usually drink a shake for breakfast, so I don't feel like I can increase the number of those. Any suggestions for adding calories but not fat or sodium?
*In the first two weeks on the program, I dropped 19 lbs. Since then, despite carefully monitoring everything I eat (Daily plate) it seems like the scales just haven't moved. I'll find out at my weigh in today, but am a little concerned/discouraged. Is it normal to hit a slump so early?
BTW, Sweet Carolina (I think she joined the forum back in December) is my daughter, and we're doing the program together. So far, our results are just about the same.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #899
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 38:5'5 256.6/228.4/125
Start Date: 12/29/09 RI 12/10/10 RII 06/01/11 RIII10/08/12
Thanks Susie,
My concern is the calorie intake verses the calories burned. I goole it before but entered the wrong name and that's why nothing came up. I will look into it now.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #900
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom on a mission View Post
SCgirlinFL- Thanks for the input. I enjoy the veggies and would pick them over the fruit any day of the week, so I'm luck that I like the lower carb choice. I guess I was just thinking out loud. I will certainly ask at my clinic tomorrow!

Dining out with my family has become interesting. I have to make sure I remember to order without any of the usual toppings on my steak, ie: blue cheese, bernaise, bacon, etc! I did have some grilled asparagus with a 4oz. Filet Mignon last night at a restaurant with my kids. Yummy for sure! However- I felt VERY full and bloated all night. Not sure if it was the veggie.

Peace
I haven't had to try to eat out yet, since my husband has been out of town. We like to eat steak as well, but I don't worry about the toppings...it's the yummy bread and baked potato. Even when I can have veggies, I'm the opposite of you, I can't wait to have a small piece of fruit I will struggle to find a veggie out to eat...good for you for making such a good choice!
Closed Thread