Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: McBoo
Stats: 216/140/140 Now on Maintainance
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinics
Start Date: June 17, 2008
Medi Weight Loss Maintaince Phase

Starting a new thread devoted to the maintainance phase. I hope to have some company here very soon. Everyone is doing so well.

McBoo
McBoo is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jonpryor99
Stats: 240/193/190
WOE: Atkins / Medi Weight Loss clinics
Start Date: 9/24/2008
McBoo,

Now that you have been in maintenance a few weeks, what are some of the foods you have been able to add back to your diet and still maintain your weight?

I know for each person it is going to be different but as am getting very close to maintenance I want to start preparing myself for what I can expect or atleast experiment with and see what works for me.
Jonpryor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonpryor99 View Post
McBoo,

Now that you have been in maintenance a few weeks, what are some of the foods you have been able to add back to your diet and still maintain your weight?

I know for each person it is going to be different but as am getting very close to maintenance I want to start preparing myself for what I can expect or atleast experiment with and see what works for me.
Brown Rice, Cereal, more varities of fruit and veggies, Flatout bread, whole grain english muffins to name a few.

McBoo
Old 02-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Brown Rice, Cereal, more varities of fruit and veggies, Flatout bread, whole grain english muffins to name a few.

McBoo
Oooh, I can't wait to have whole grain english muffins and make my very own McMuffin sandwich for breakfast!

Any desert types of foods that you have found that are "low carb" enough to try? Here lately I have found myself craving some Icecream or cake. Though to be honest, I never really ate much desert type food when I wasn't eating low carb. (it was all pizza, breads, pasta and beer type carbs...)
Old 02-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oooh, I can't wait to have whole grain english muffins and make my very own McMuffin sandwich for breakfast!

Any desert types of foods that you have found that are "low carb" enough to try? Here lately I have found myself craving some Icecream or cake. Though to be honest, I never really ate much desert type food when I wasn't eating low carb. (it was all pizza, breads, pasta and beer type carbs...)
Yes you can have ice cream occaisonally. Look for the lower carb and calorie no sugar added ones. Edy's Slow Churned No Sugar Added Coffee flavor is a good choice.

I still make the fat-free/sugar free jello pudding with the almond milk.

McBoo
Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes you can have ice cream occaisonally. Look for the lower carb and calorie no sugar added ones. Edy's Slow Churned No Sugar Added Coffee flavor is a good choice.

I still make the fat-free/sugar free jello pudding with the almond milk.

McBoo
Thanks! I will definetly have to try some of that once I get in maintenance.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NIKKI21
Stats: 181.4/134.8 Now on Maintenance :0)
WOE: MEDI WEIGHTLOSS CLINICS
Start Date: 12/04/08
Quote:
McBoo,

LOL - you were reading my mind Jon. I was thinking this morning that I wanted to ask McBoo the very same thing!

I do have another question about maintanence; what kind of schedule do you follow, visitwise? I am getting close to being flush on the funds I have set aside and I think I may exhaust the "bank" to get to goal....... what to make sure I start setting some extra $$$ aside over the next few weeks.
NIKKI21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Ice Cream ............. mmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:

Sorry McBoo no FTM locations
Jon check these guys out (coming to Brandon) but 4 other Tampa Bay locations already. I have not tried them yet but plan on dropping by to check out the selection of products (they carry the powdered PB Susie told everyone about) and getting some ice cream when I am "allowed".
Welcome to D'lites Emporium ...Lo-Carb Foods,Health Food,Atkins Diet,Dr. Atkins,Weight Control,Weight Lose,No Carb,Weight Loss,Low Carbohydrates,Dr Atkins Advantage Bars,Florids,South Florida,Broward,Dade
Old 02-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKI21 View Post
LOL - you were reading my mind Jon. I was thinking this morning that I wanted to ask McBoo the very same thing!

I do have another question about maintanence; what kind of schedule do you follow, visitwise? I am getting close to being flush on the funds I have set aside and I think I may exhaust the "bank" to get to goal....... what to make sure I start setting some extra $$$ aside over the next few weeks.
I go once a month right now. You can probably do every 6 weeks if need be.

McBoo
Old 02-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sorry McBoo no FTM locations
Jon check these guys out (coming to Brandon) but 4 other Tampa Bay locations already. I have not tried them yet but plan on dropping by to check out the selection of products (they carry the powdered PB Susie told everyone about) and getting some ice cream when I am "allowed".
Welcome to D'lites Emporium ...Lo-Carb Foods,Health Food,Atkins Diet,Dr. Atkins,Weight Control,Weight Lose,No Carb,Weight Loss,Low Carbohydrates,Dr Atkins Advantage Bars,Florids,South Florida,Broward,Dade
Next time I am on the east coast I might check them out. Also looks like they are opening a location in Sarasota. That would be more convenient.

McBoo
Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: celiamac
Stats: maintenance-high 130's:redlight 142
WOE: medi-weightloss
Start Date: 6/2/08
McBoo: Thanks for starting this thread. I've been checking in on the posts but since I've been in maintenance a while now, I'm kind of in a different place from most people on the board and haven't posted. I have enjoyed the tips and particularly the recipes. As a reintro to the newer folks, I have lost 40lbs on medi. I was in the acute phase of the program from June 2 - Sept 5 and started maintenance when I got to 148 since my original goal was to be "under 150". I lost 6 more lbs in the first six weeks on maintenance and since then have ranged between 140-143. Have gone from a size 14/16 to a size 6/8.
I have not had a hard time at all on maintenance. I weigh every morning and if I start creeping up to the 143 level am extra careful that day. So far I am always back down the next morning. I try to keep my starchy carbs to 2 a day and totally stick with the low glycemic ones. I haven't had a piece of white bread since June. I generally avoid even wheat bread and order sandwiches on wheat tortillas instead. I am not counting calories but have a pretty good sense of what calories are in different foods and what size portions are ok after following the program for more than 8 months.
I have actually had "normal" food on occasion with no problems. Had fried fish (small portion) at a buffet lunch Tues. and weighed in yesterday at 140, the low end of my range. When served a good dessert at a luncheon or banquet dinner, I will eat about 1/4 of it and push it to the middle of the table or give the rest away. I do this only occasionally and only if the dessert looks especially good. I enjoy my favorite, cheese grits, about once a week but again keep it to a reasonable size portion and make it my whole breakfast without adding eggs or anything.
Besides weighing every day and avoiding that slippery slope my other 2 keys to my success are exercising like a fiend - 6-8 times a week for a weekly total of 6-8 hours. My general plan is 2 jogs, 2 yoga, 2 strength/tone classes and 2 zumba classes every week. The variety keeps me from getting burned out. Secondly, for the first time in my life I am a snack rat. I keep laughing cow, string cheese, EAS shakes, Atkins Endulge bars and/or low carb trail mix at work and have a snack mid-morning and late afternoon. It really really helps me stick with small portions at meals even when I am staring at some yummy fried fish. One of my other tricks when I am eating with others is to pay attention to what the naturally thin people order or put on their plate. It is amazing how little some people eat and seem quite happy with - that's why they've never had a weight problem.
Anyway, I look forward to many more folks joining this thread soon. It looks like a lot of you are close. Celia
celiamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome back Celiamac. It was so much easier to get these sub-topics added once we got on the first page of the forums. It really keeps things more organized and easier to locate rather then trying to find things in the very long threads.

I too have not found the maintainance phase to be hard at all. Portion control, exercise and wise choices seem to be the key.

McBoo
Old 02-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ironstriker
Stats: 334/265/220
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: October 25, 2008
you are so right McBoo...portion and wise choices...I have done that along with exercise and lose weight fine...just finished my 12wks...now going for more!
ironstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Anita8866
Stats: 193/129/125
WOE: Weight Watchers/Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: January 2008
I am a little confused about Transition/Maintenance!

I am hoping that someone can shed some light on the Transition/Maintenance Phases. I am on my first week of the Transition Phase. Last night, I broke down the sample menus, I was given at the clinic, into exact calories. There are 3 sample day listed under the 800 Calorie Diet. However, my calculations were different. Day 1 was 816.5 cal., Day 2 was 917 cal. and day 3 was 851.5 cal. I decide to do this because as a life long dieter, I know that an exchange/serving should equal a set amount of calories....For instance, On Day 1 the only starch/bread serving is 1/2 of a 100 calorie english muffin which equals 50 cal. In Day 2 the starch/bread serving is 1/2 c of cooked oatmeal which equals 148 calories. In Day 3 the starch/bread serving is 1/2 c cooked brown rice which is equal to 96 calories. How can 1 serving of starch/bread be 3 different calorie amounts on 3 different days? I have been to the clinic twice with this question and it never gets answered. The last response I got was..."Just make sure you have 500 calories of protein then divide the remaining 300 into starch/bread, low fat dairy, fruit, and vegetables." Not quite the answer I was looking for!

Also, I asked how many grams of carbs I should have in a day...I was told.. "at least 100 and you could go into several hundreds." I asked if I should make food choices that are lower on glycemic index..I was told..."that really doesn't matter."

Maybe I am freaking out about this a little too much...but...For the first time in my adult life I have exceed my goal weight...I worked hard and do not want to go back to where I was. I just feel that I am not getting the correct information. Any help I could get here would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for listening!
Anita
Anita8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita8866 View Post
I am hoping that someone can shed some light on the Transition/Maintenance Phases. I am on my first week of the Transition Phase. Last night, I broke down the sample menus, I was given at the clinic, into exact calories. There are 3 sample day listed under the 800 Calorie Diet. However, my calculations were different. Day 1 was 816.5 cal., Day 2 was 917 cal. and day 3 was 851.5 cal. I decide to do this because as a life long dieter, I know that an exchange/serving should equal a set amount of calories....For instance, On Day 1 the only starch/bread serving is 1/2 of a 100 calorie english muffin which equals 50 cal. In Day 2 the starch/bread serving is 1/2 c of cooked oatmeal which equals 148 calories. In Day 3 the starch/bread serving is 1/2 c cooked brown rice which is equal to 96 calories. How can 1 serving of starch/bread be 3 different calorie amounts on 3 different days? I have been to the clinic twice with this question and it never gets answered. The last response I got was..."Just make sure you have 500 calories of protein then divide the remaining 300 into starch/bread, low fat dairy, fruit, and vegetables." Not quite the answer I was looking for!

Also, I asked how many grams of carbs I should have in a day...I was told.. "at least 100 and you could go into several hundreds." I asked if I should make food choices that are lower on glycemic index..I was told..."that really doesn't matter."

Maybe I am freaking out about this a little too much...but...For the first time in my adult life I have exceed my goal weight...I worked hard and do not want to go back to where I was. I just feel that I am not getting the correct information. Any help I could get here would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for listening!
Anita
Anita,

The transition phase is used to reintroduce carbs/starches into your WOE. Your next weigh ins will determine how your body reacts to this and it will be tweaked accordingly.

As far as veggies and starches the clinic I go to says to choice wisely from low glycemic index/load carbs.

The transition phase is exactly that. You will learn what to add back in and how much and how to handle it if it goes in a direction you don't want it to. Either losing more weight (yes it is possible in maintainance) or gaining a few pounds back that you don't want to.

You have come this far and have done great. You have the tools you need to succeed and just need to reinforce those tools.

Great job!!!

McBoo

Before and after Pics
http://www.slide.com/profile?puid=UY...S8QcfBRFZvgCG0

"Born right the first time"
"BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER"
"CANCER SUCKS"
Old 02-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: celiamac
Stats: maintenance-high 130's:redlight 142
WOE: medi-weightloss
Start Date: 6/2/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita8866 View Post

Thanks for listening!
Anita
First, Congrats on a terrific weight loss. That is a great accomplishment. Not being a detail person I didn't sweat over the details of the transition phase but added one low glycemic carb a day and ate a little bit larger portions of protein. My doctor tells us to basically follow the South Beach Diet maintenance plan which is definitely low glycemic oriented and which has worked beautifully for me. I've been on maintenance almost 6 months and still don't eat white bread, white rice or potatoes. Welcome to maintenance! Celia
celiamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Medi_NJ
Maintenance Phase

GREAT JOB ON MAINTENANCE!!!!

Might I interject with one comment? Those "naturally thin'' folks likely weren't born that way. More likely, they work just as hard as you all do to maintain their weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celiamac View Post
McBoo: Thanks for starting this thread. I've been checking in on the posts but since I've been in maintenance a while now, I'm kind of in a different place from most people on the board and haven't posted. I have enjoyed the tips and particularly the recipes. As a reintro to the newer folks, I have lost 40lbs on medi. I was in the acute phase of the program from June 2 - Sept 5 and started maintenance when I got to 148 since my original goal was to be "under 150". I lost 6 more lbs in the first six weeks on maintenance and since then have ranged between 140-143. Have gone from a size 14/16 to a size 6/8.
I have not had a hard time at all on maintenance. I weigh every morning and if I start creeping up to the 143 level am extra careful that day. So far I am always back down the next morning. I try to keep my starchy carbs to 2 a day and totally stick with the low glycemic ones. I haven't had a piece of white bread since June. I generally avoid even wheat bread and order sandwiches on wheat tortillas instead. I am not counting calories but have a pretty good sense of what calories are in different foods and what size portions are ok after following the program for more than 8 months.
I have actually had "normal" food on occasion with no problems. Had fried fish (small portion) at a buffet lunch Tues. and weighed in yesterday at 140, the low end of my range. When served a good dessert at a luncheon or banquet dinner, I will eat about 1/4 of it and push it to the middle of the table or give the rest away. I do this only occasionally and only if the dessert looks especially good. I enjoy my favorite, cheese grits, about once a week but again keep it to a reasonable size portion and make it my whole breakfast without adding eggs or anything.
Besides weighing every day and avoiding that slippery slope my other 2 keys to my success are exercising like a fiend - 6-8 times a week for a weekly total of 6-8 hours. My general plan is 2 jogs, 2 yoga, 2 strength/tone classes and 2 zumba classes every week. The variety keeps me from getting burned out. Secondly, for the first time in my life I am a snack rat. I keep laughing cow, string cheese, EAS shakes, Atkins Endulge bars and/or low carb trail mix at work and have a snack mid-morning and late afternoon. It really really helps me stick with small portions at meals even when I am staring at some yummy fried fish. One of my other tricks when I am eating with others is to pay attention to what the naturally thin people order or put on their plate. It is amazing how little some people eat and seem quite happy with - that's why they've never had a weight problem.
Anyway, I look forward to many more folks joining this thread soon. It looks like a lot of you are close. Celia
Medi_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Can I join this group now???

OMG!
I can't believe it!
Start date 12/04/08 - Maintenance 05/22/09
Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
OMG!
I can't believe it!
Start date 12/04/08 - Maintenance 05/22/09
Of course you can. As you can see it is slow in here. The more the merrier.

McBoo
Old 05-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

First day - tried for 800 cals but fell a little short of target. Did not get by the grocery yesterday so off I go today - thinking of getting a pack of lavash or nan flatbread from Whole Foods.

Has the total carb count changed? Had to didn't it? I completely forgot to ask yesterday. I was aiming for NO MORE than 20 in acute.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
First day - tried for 800 cals but fell a little short of target. Did not get by the grocery yesterday so off I go today - thinking of getting a pack of lavash or nan flatbread from Whole Foods.

Has the total carb count changed? Had to didn't it? I completely forgot to ask yesterday. I was aiming for NO MORE than 20 in acute.
Nikki,

It does change it will gradually increase till you find exactly where you need to be to maintain. Have you tried the flatout bread? The Italian flavor is really quite good.

McBoo
Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK everyone who is close to maintainance where are you?

McBoo
Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
OK everyone who is close to maintainance where are you?

McBoo
I want to be here so bad I can taste it, but don't feel I deserve it yet. Any encouraging gems or tidbits you can dish out would be lovely. Why do all my adjectives describe food???? I am so motivated and trying hard to get there. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Susie
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
I want to be here so bad I can taste it, but don't feel I deserve it yet. Any encouraging gems or tidbits you can dish out would be lovely. Why do all my adjectives describe food???? I am so motivated and trying hard to get there. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Susie
Susie,

My signature says it all. Stop the food adjectives. You are so close maybe even already there judging by the fantastic new avatar. You will know whne everything feels right. Come on in you are always welcome. I am bored and need company in this thread.

McBoo'
Old 06-09-2009, 03:33 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

New product for our phase - Arnold Sandwich Thins
8 pk at Publix is $2.99 ; whole grains and no hydro oils! each "bun" is 100 cal great net carbs and protein. My new fav snake is half a "bun" toasted with PB2
Old 06-09-2009, 05:33 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
New product for our phase - Arnold Sandwich Thins
8 pk at Publix is $2.99 ; whole grains and no hydro oils! each "bun" is 100 cal great net carbs and protein. My new fav snake is half a "bun" toasted with PB2
Nikki,

These are great I have been using them for about a month now. The multi-grain flavor is really good.

McBoo
Old 06-09-2009, 06:05 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hudiman
Stats: 5'2" /155/ now at goal 125
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinc
Start Date: April 23, 2009
I hope you guys keep this maintenance forum going. It gives us acuters motivation. Looks like when people get to maint. they drop out of sight. I think the maintenance phase is the MOST important. With all diets and life changes, the keeping it off seems to always be the issue. If I take the time and $ to get there I want to have the tools to stay there. So, that said, thank you to all that have remained committed to this website and particular forum.
hudiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudiman View Post
I hope you guys keep this maintenance forum going. It gives us acuters motivation. Looks like when people get to maint. they drop out of sight. I think the maintenance phase is the MOST important. With all diets and life changes, the keeping it off seems to always be the issue. If I take the time and $ to get there I want to have the tools to stay there. So, that said, thank you to all that have remained committed to this website and particular forum.
I have to second this. McBoo especially, thank you so much for posting when you could have so easily been done with all this and left the forum. I am so counting on you for maintainance advice. Please don't ever leave me. We need you!

Susie
Old 06-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

McBoo,

I asked a little about maintainance and what happens with the visits. They said they wean me off the AS, measure my metabolism with a breathing machine and start me on phase 3. Once on phase 3, I only have to come once a month for $35 a visit. They said I can still come weekly until I am comfortable if I want. My plan is to go weekly for a few weeks, but then transition to monthly for a while. I am a lifetime WW member, so I can weigh in there weekly or monthly for free. I was thinking once I cut Medi to monthly, I could go to WW in between if I needed the extra weigh-in's for accountability. It would be nice if eventually I just went to WW for the weigh-in's as that would not cost anything. Is there ever a point where Medi releases you or do you make that decision on your own? McBoo, I value your opinion. Does this make any sense?

Susie

Go Magic! I believe!! Time to go watch the Magic kick the Lakers butts!!!

Last edited by SDC2; 06-09-2009 at 05:52 PM..
Old 06-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
McBoo,

I asked a little about maintainance and what happens with the visits. They said they wean me off the AS, measure my metabolism with a breathing machine and start me on phase 3. Once on phase 3, I only have to come once a month for $35 a visit. They said I can still come weekly until I am comfortable if I want. My plan is to go weekly for a few weeks, but then transition to monthly for a while. I am a lifetime WW member, so I can weigh in there weekly or monthly for free. I was thinking once I cut Medi to monthly, I could go to WW in between if I needed the extra weigh-in's for accountability. It would be nice if eventually I just went to WW for the weigh-in's as that would not cost anything. Is there ever a point where Medi releases you or do you make that decision on your own? McBoo, I value your opinion. Does this make any sense?

Susie

Go Magic! I believe!! Time to go watch the Magic kick the Lakers butts!!!
Susie,

Of course it makes sense. When you are comfortable you will make the appointments when you feel necessary if at all. Do you have a scale at home?

If so compare the difference between the scale at home and the scale at the clinic and you will know what you need to make an appropriate comparison on your weight.

WW is also a good option but make sure you weigh-in during the same time period as your medi weigh-in so you have an accurate comparison with their scale. There is nothing worse than different scales reading 5-6 pounds different in the same day. If you know they are different you can wrap your head around the differences.

I am not going anywhere. I am here to share any experiences that I can.

McBoo