Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvlonghorns
Stats: 5'6"/162/127.5/128-Maintenance since 10/8/09
WOE: MEDI-Weightloss
Start Date: July 9, 2009
Jo, I was very happy to discover a new (new to me, at least) Light Havarti cheese at Sprouts this week. I went to the deli for low sodium turkey breast. The cheese was a special freebie I hadn't even known about. I love Havarti and this one, called Dofino Light Havarti, has 80 calories, 5 fat, 0 carbs and 8 proteins per one ounce slice. It was quite delicious melted on my open-faced turkey sandwich atop half of an Oroweat Sandwich Thin. Yummy!

Interesting observation that most of us in "early" maintenance are still avoiding our most favorite foods...

Jane
luvlonghorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Jo,

I have been having my potato fix by scooping all the insides out, then using butter spray, a little fat free sour cream, some chives and some seasonings. It makes me feel like I've had a baked potato without all the carbs. Very satisfying.
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
I have thought about doing something like that, Susie, but then what do I do with the insides? Toss them out is really wasting food. And I have no pets or family here to give the insides to...so thus far...no taters for me....still and all it is a great idea.

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:42 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tracy_d
Stats: 5'7'' 191.5/150.5/150 now on maintenance
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: June 8, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
Tracy,

I've been taking the 2 Tam-X-ico's white corn tortillas, 25 calories and 4.5 net carbs each, and cook them in my George Foreman grill until crisp. Then I take them out, spray them lightly with Pam and lightly salt them. I cut them up into triangles with a pizza cutter. They are pretty darn good if I say so myself.

For me the tortillas and potato skins are about the only non-vegetable or non-fruit carbs that I have added in. My clinic doctor suggested increasing my calories while on maintenance by incorporating more of the foods I was already eating, and only have starchy carbs on special occasions.
Thanks Susie- That really helps me!
tracy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fit2b55
Stats: 218/211/178
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 6/24/09-Maintenance 10/12/09!!: RESTART 5/27/14
Jo-That not wanting to waste food........I know it helped me gain weight...clean plate and all that. I actually have to psych myself up, pre restaurant meal, to leave food on my plate and let them throw it out. I know I can take food home but I know I won't eat it. Yes, a waste but better the trash than my waist.

You could start composting extra potatoes and use in your plants or yard...just a thought. El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
I have thought about doing something like that, Susie, but then what do I do with the insides? Toss them out is really wasting food. And I have no pets or family here to give the insides to...so thus far...no taters for me....still and all it is a great idea.

Jo
fit2b55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
WOE: Medi
Start Date: May 5, 2009
Hi All - checking in. Today was better than yesterday for sure. I am thinking that part of what is happening is about coming off the AS. Only have taken one or two a day for awhile now -told my doc I wish she would just mix up my meds with placebos - its just the routine is what seems hard to change.
I feel like I had too many carbs yesterday because I was craving them a little today. Tried to eat more protein and just a few veggies to get rid of the CRAVE.... it has been so long that I forgot how much my body just loves those dang carbs!!!
This phase - it is going to be a slow and deliberate process...
so glad you are here and thanks for the support yesterday.

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it
NOT2fat4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Hang in there, Macauley. I have resisted the raisins thus far, and actually gave them to my neighbor today.

And although I love potatoes, I can also live without them. I only cook what I will eat, no extra, and here in AZ, my patio is my garden, and a small one at that. So I will try a tater when I go out to dinner and see how that goes. Just a plain one. Never have cared much for all those things people put on them.

I do as McBoo has suggested. Adding in new foods one at a time and watching to see how my body responds. We are in such a state of upheaval with my team at work with the big implementation and switching of schedules from day to afternoon to night at a moment's notice, that it is best for my physical well being to keep stable those things that I CAN control...my meals.
So, for the moment, they are pretty tame, and those things that I can transport easily to work, and put together with the least amount of fuss. For the time being, it is what it is.

Jo
Old 10-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
Hang in there, Macauley. I have resisted the raisins thus far, and actually gave them to my neighbor today.

And although I love potatoes, I can also live without them. I only cook what I will eat, no extra, and here in AZ, my patio is my garden, and a small one at that. So I will try a tater when I go out to dinner and see how that goes. Just a plain one. Never have cared much for all those things people put on them.

I do as McBoo has suggested. Adding in new foods one at a time and watching to see how my body responds. We are in such a state of upheaval with my team at work with the big implementation and switching of schedules from day to afternoon to night at a moment's notice, that it is best for my physical well being to keep stable those things that I CAN control...my meals.
So, for the moment, they are pretty tame, and those things that I can transport easily to work, and put together with the least amount of fuss. For the time being, it is what it is.

Jo
Jo,

I don't know about you, but potatoes are one of my triggers. So, when you do try a potato at a restaurant, do not eat the whole thing. Scoop it out. You do not need all the starch and it will help with the cravings. I like feeling like I had a potato without all the carbs. It is amazing how tasty a potato can be with next to nothing in it. After I scoop it out I use butter spray (you can bring some in your purse), fat free sour cream (which you probably won't have access to in a restaurant), and some chives. It is always a treat and the skin is enough along with a well balanced dinner. I have no problem with throwing out the insides. It is not a nourishing suppliment for me and will do no one in China any good if I eat it. My garbage disposal seems to enjoy it.

I got a joke email today about a guy who had been asked to donate clothing for starving people throughout the world. His response was, "I said no, anyone who can fit into my clothes is not starving." It was funny, but at the same time sad. How many impoverished people are fat because they don't know any better and only have access to the wrong foods.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT2fat4fun View Post
Hi All - checking in. Today was better than yesterday for sure. I am thinking that part of what is happening is about coming off the AS. Only have taken one or two a day for awhile now -told my doc I wish she would just mix up my meds with placebos - its just the routine is what seems hard to change.
I feel like I had too many carbs yesterday because I was craving them a little today. Tried to eat more protein and just a few veggies to get rid of the CRAVE.... it has been so long that I forgot how much my body just loves those dang carbs!!!
This phase - it is going to be a slow and deliberate process...
so glad you are here and thanks for the support yesterday.
Macauley,

When you are having a bad day (and believe me, I have had plenty where I just wanted to eat all day) remember the week 1 hunger tips... chicken broth, sugar free jello and dill pickles. There are days where these are my best friends. I have been struggling with menopause issues... (men close your eyes if you don't want TMI). I have only had 2 periods this year, but this last one has lasted over 2 weeks and I have suffered with PMS the whole time. My water flucuation has been as much as 5 pounds in a day and I have been famished. Thank goodness for miracle noodles, sugar free jello, and dill pickles. Sometimes I have celery with fresh salsa. You might also want to try some power pops with hoodia. I get them online. They are legal, in fact some Medi clinics were actually selling them. You are only supposed to have one a day, but there are days where I have more than that.

Hope this helps. Hang in there.

Susie
Old 10-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

I am so happy you mentioned the Power Pops, Susie. I tried them too. I ordered the assorted flavors bag and after having tried more than a dozen flavors, I have yet to come upon a flavor I dislike. Now that I'm in maintenance, I have used as many as 2 in a day, especially when i am out and about all day. They really do keep your mouth occupied and busy for about 30 minutes and they help overall hunger (something I too seem to be experiencing more now that I am being wean off the AS). I always keep them in my purse and in my car now. The 28 calorie, 4 carb hit per pop is far less than most other temptations out there, plus I get that added advantage of the pop taking about half an hour to finish off. Great idea if you haven't already tried them, Macauley!
-Jane

Last edited by luvlonghorns; 10-28-2009 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: sp.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:39 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

I love the power pops too. I have one about everyday in the mid afternoon when I want a snack, and I usually take one to my sons' football games (they are in the band) on Friday nights to avoid the concessions. They also help to insure I get that water in. I gat drink 1-2 bottles of water with a pop.

Another time consuming yet low cal snack I like are sunflower seeds in the shell. Great to take to the movies instead of having popcorn!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Hey all = I must have missed the power pop info - what are they and where do you get them? I do the sunflower thing - sometimes I go a little overboard on the nuts- cashews really kill me.
I realized that I feel so 'safe' on the acute menu. So safe in fact, that I went back on it yesterday because it is where I feel comfortable. It's interesting that I never felt like doing my emotional eating dance over the past six months, but as soon as I stepped over onto into the transitional phase - that was right where I went.
I plowed through yesterday still wanting but not indulging... thank god for the strength.... my biggest fear of course is that I will start eating and never stop... hence the 190+ weight.
I really am not actively religious but I must stay that I now say a little prayer every morning to make it through - a day at a time...
(Tracy - I took sunflower seeds to the movies last time I went and even though I had a cup - I made such a mess - waited for everyone to leave so I could clean it up!)
Here's to a great day for all of us!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey all = I must have missed the power pop info - what are they and where do you get them? I do the sunflower thing - sometimes I go a little overboard on the nuts- cashews really kill me.
I realized that I feel so 'safe' on the acute menu. So safe in fact, that I went back on it yesterday because it is where I feel comfortable. It's interesting that I never felt like doing my emotional eating dance over the past six months, but as soon as I stepped over onto into the transitional phase - that was right where I went.
I plowed through yesterday still wanting but not indulging... thank god for the strength.... my biggest fear of course is that I will start eating and never stop... hence the 190+ weight.
I really am not actively religious but I must stay that I now say a little prayer every morning to make it through - a day at a time...
(Tracy - I took sunflower seeds to the movies last time I went and even though I had a cup - I made such a mess - waited for everyone to leave so I could clean it up!)
Macauley, the Power Pops are available through a variety of sources. They are produced by a company called Essante. There are some reputable sellers of them on eBay. Just check for positive feedback record. Most of these charge for shipping. However, I ordered my last bag of 30 pops on Amazon.com for $23.17 with free shipping since I was ordering other items at the same time that would total $25 or more.
I'm happy to hear that you are doing better!
-Jane
Old 10-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Hi there! I found a great seller for Power Pops on ebay several months ago and have shared it with quite a few people. I will send you an PM with the info a little later today. Off to the shower. Appt today.

Jo
Old 10-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Macauley- I hear ya on the comfort of the acute phase. I feel the same way. I never had issues with emotional eating while in acute phase and I really think the AS helped with that too. Now I feel that constant internal mental battle. I'm wondering if it will get better?!

When I took sunflower seeds to the movies I had them in a baggie and I used a big napkin to put the shells in on my lap. I guess you could put the shells in a cup too. Oh well, at least you cleaned up your own mess! I bet the ushers were happy
Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Thanks all - but still don't know - what is a power pop? Like a lollipop? I am afraid of sugar like things with my crazy sweet tooth. Now a protein pop - that would be good!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

Here is the website for them. My clinic sells them and suggest no more than 2 a day during the acute phase. They taste good and take care of the sweet issue.

Power Pops with Hoodia, suppress your appetite with Diet Lollipops and Suckers

I will send you the ebay seller that I get my pops from.

Jo
Old 10-30-2009, 05:16 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Macauley- I have a crazy sweet tooth too! I even crave the sugar free candy! UGH! It is very hard to resist the Atkins indulge bars that taste like a Babe Ruth candy bar!!! I really try to save those for a special snack.

I better cut out even the sugar free sweets, because they are making me crave badly!!

As far as the power pops go.... I eat one every couple of days, or sometimes a few days in a row. But they don't seem to induce cravings. I think it's because of the hoodia in them. They do taste just like a lollipop. My favorite flavor is watermelon!

Last edited by tracy_d; 10-30-2009 at 05:18 AM..
Old 10-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Jo-
Thanks for the encouraging post on the October thread! Your inspiration has shown me that maintenance doesn't have to be so scary! I, like Macauley, am still afraid the add too many carbs. I fel like 40-50 carbs in one day is CRAZY!! But most of the carbs are coming from fruit, veggies, and nuts.

I cannot buy those little bags of slivered almonds/ pecans that are supposed to be salad toppers.... I have NO portion control when it comes to them!!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, they have little packets of almonds available. And with the slivered almonds/pecans etc, I actually weigh out a portion, pop it into a little snack baggie and put the whole bunch into a larger baggie and toss it in the freezer. Take one out when I need it. Not likely to eat frozen nuts!

Jo
Old 10-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Jo,

I copied the following ingredient list from the link you provided. Since the Power Pops have b6 and b12, should we be taking the sublingual b12 along with them. Is it possible to overdose on vitamin B? I didn't see anywhere where they list how much is in them. Have you?

Power Pop Ingredients

•Hoodia* - A natural ingredient in weight loss from South Africa that has been used for hundreds of years which suppresses the appetite and works with the receptors to signal satisfaction.

•Citrimax* - A natural ingredient in weight loss products for over 30 years which suppresses appetite and helps to burn fat.

•L-Tyrosine* (Amino Acid) - Suppresses appetite, helps reduce body fat, works with the receptors to signal satisfaction.

•Vitamin B6* - involved in more body functions than almost any other single nutrient, helps absorbs fats, and reduces water retention.

•Vitamin B12* - Helps with proper digestion, absorption of foods, and metabolism of carbohydrates and fats.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Hi Susie - I think all B vitamins are water soluble - so not stored in the body. Do you do the power pops too?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Any "overage" on a vitamin is gotten rid of by the body as excess liquid. "C" is the most notable of these "overages", rather than "B".

Jo
Old 10-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi Susie - I think all B vitamins are water soluble - so not stored in the body. Do you do the power pops too?
Yes I do. I love them and they help me to get my water in.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:21 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

ummm -how do the power pops help get your water in?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:55 PM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
ummm -how do the power pops help get your water in?
You are supposed to drink a glass of water with them.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

This is from the info on the website...where they preach the power pop diet...and we just will not go there...however, even my clinic states that you need to drink an 8 oz glass of water prior to eating the pop!

Breakfast
Take one Power-Pop with an eight ounce glass of water 30 minutes before eating. Have a well-balanced meal that includes fresh fruits.

Lunch
Take one Power-Pop with an eight ounce glass of water 30 minutes before eating. Have a well balanced meal that includes protein, vegetables, and complex carbohydrates.

Dinner
Take one Power-Pop with an eight ounce glass of water 30 minutes before eating. Have a well balanced meal, including protein and veget-ables. Avoid carbohydrates in the evening and do not eat for three hours before you go to sleep.

Jo
Old 11-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Hi All - question to you - do you still check for ketosis? If yes, why? If no, when did you stop? I haven't checked in awhile now - was wondering about it...
Happy November!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dodgern
Stats: 236/150.6/140- now on maintenance
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 2/26/09
Macauley- I've not checked for ketosis in sooooo long. We don't need to be in ketosis if we're in maintenance-we should be ketosis negative at this point!!! But NO, I don't check cuz I can tell by my breath

cindy
dodgern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

I don't test for ketosis either, Macauley.
-Jane