Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hudiman
Stats: 5'2" /155/ now at goal 125
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinc
Start Date: April 23, 2009
Well, my take is.....we have all done WW and here we are now very very successful with Medi, why change, we all new this was going to be our new WOE. WW has too many choices and not always the best choices for us. I want to stay where I am weightwise, I'm not switching. For me Medi works, WW didn't.
hudiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudiman View Post
Well, my take is.....we have all done WW and here we are now very very successful with Medi, why change, we all new this was going to be our new WOE. WW has too many choices and not always the best choices for us. I want to stay where I am weightwise, I'm not switching. For me Medi works, WW didn't.
When I get to the point where I don't feel the need to go to the clinic monthly (like McBoo), I was thinking that I could go to WW just for the weigh-in. I would still follow the Medi plan, just use WW for the added acountability.
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
When I get to the point where I don't feel the need to go to the clinic monthly (like McBoo), I was thinking that I could go to WW just for the weigh-in. I would still follow the Medi plan, just use WW for the added acountability.
You're a lifetime member so you wouldn't have to pay, for us flunky's we would have to pay to get weighed and 35$ a month is better then the $12 a week. Plus we can get our b12 shots as long as we want, I still do that every week, doesn't cost extra and even though they don't weigh me it still makes me accountable. Just my 2 cents!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fit2b55
Stats: 218/211/178
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 6/24/09-Maintenance 10/12/09!!: RESTART 5/27/14
You can get the shot in maintenance without paying a weekly fee? Right now, since I"m on the road, I'm doing the sublingual B12 and it seems to be working...I'm still upright and moving!

Quote:
You're a lifetime member so you wouldn't have to pay, for us flunky's we would have to pay to get weighed and 35$ a month is better then the $12 a week. Plus we can get our b12 shots as long as we want, I still do that every week, doesn't cost extra and even though they don't weigh me it still makes me accountable. Just my 2 cents!
fit2b55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
If I had to pay I wouldn't even consider, so I agree with you. I am still going monthly, but haven't bothered with the shots. I take sublingual b12.
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

I stop by my clinic once a week and get the shot, no extra charge. It is part of the monthy fee. It still makes me accountable when I see my clinic staff. I do pay once a month and get weighed, 35.00.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Same here Ginny. Get the shot and out the door. Once a month, the weigh in and all the shots, the BP/pulse...and restock on the Fat Burners...which I get for free instead of the vitamins.

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Thanks all on the clarification. Have my appt tomorrow to start maintenance. El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
Same here Ginny. Get the shot and out the door. Once a month, the weigh in and all the shots, the BP/pulse...and restock on the Fat Burners...which I get for free instead of the vitamins.

Jo
Old 10-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
WOE: Medi
Start Date: May 5, 2009
Hi All!
Have my appointment on Thursday to officially start the maintenance phase - I am really looking forward to starting this part of the journey. One of my friends asked me if I was always going to eat the way I do now and I was thinking - like what? I haven't thought much lately how different my WOE is - but it sure is!
Bought some new clothes today (wow are there ever a lot of ugly clothes out there!) - Mentioned something to the sale person and she told me to go over to the juniors side because they were cuter over there.... juniors... who would have thought : )

If you have time - how slowly did you increase your calorie/carb intake? Pretty nervous about this... were you?

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it
NOT2fat4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT2fat4fun View Post
Hi All!
Have my appointment on Thursday to officially start the maintenance phase - I am really looking forward to starting this part of the journey. One of my friends asked me if I was always going to eat the way I do now and I was thinking - like what? I haven't thought much lately how different my WOE is - but it sure is!
Bought some new clothes today (wow are there ever a lot of ugly clothes out there!) - Mentioned something to the sale person and she told me to go over to the juniors side because they were cuter over there.... juniors... who would have thought : )

If you have time - how slowly did you increase your calorie/carb intake? Pretty nervous about this... were you?
~Macauley~ Speaking only for myself now, I add a food back in and watch to see how I react. And I am raising the calorie/carb count quite slowly, again to see how I react.

Clothes...oh yeah there are some clothing out there that I would not be caught dead in. I am the perennial preppy, I guess. I has to be classic and professional and well made for me to even be interested....and I am shopping the sales which,by the way, are really good lately at Ann Taylor and J Jill.

Jo
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsP
Stats: 282/175/160
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: March 21, 2009
Just saying HI!

Hey Everyone-

I have been crazy busy and stressed with work lately so I haven't been on the board for several weeks and WOW things have changed around here! I went to the main thread and felt like I didn't know anyone

So... I figured I would pop in over here and say Hi to the familiar faces. I haven't made it to maintenance yet but I do feel like I'm in the home stretch now. SEE YOU GUYS SOON!
MrsP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Heidi-Agree on the main thread...you are so CLOSE! Nice to see you over here. Maintenance is kind of weird...I'm having a lot more trouble getting this part right...just think I need to sit down and sort out a week of menus that work within the plan and I'll be fine...but like you crazy busy have taken over!
El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsP View Post
Hey Everyone-

I have been crazy busy and stressed with work lately so I haven't been on the board for several weeks and WOW things have changed around here! I went to the main thread and felt like I didn't know anyone

So... I figured I would pop in over here and say Hi to the familiar faces. I haven't made it to maintenance yet but I do feel like I'm in the home stretch now. SEE YOU GUYS SOON!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvlonghorns
Stats: 5'6"/162/127.5/128-Maintenance since 10/8/09
WOE: MEDI-Weightloss
Start Date: July 9, 2009
Quote:
Hi All!

Macauley, I think everyone is different depending on activity level, size, age, sex, etc. I can only tell you what my clinic instructed me. Also know that my activity level is nothing like most of the MEDI'ers here. It is much lower in intensity and impact (bulging cervical disc, cervical foraminal stenosis and osteolysis of the right AC joint definitely affect exercise options).

That being said, my clinic raised me to 800 calories per day for these first 2 weeks of maintenance, adding one starch serving per day. Examples of the starch are 1/2 cup cooked brown rice or 1/2 light English muffin. My instructions are to still maintain at least 500 protein calories and to eat low starch veggies and fruit. I may also try adding 1/2 a banana as a fruit serving now. In addition, we reduced my AS by one last week and by 1/2 this week. If all goes well this week, the plan is to increase my calories to 1000 per day for the following two weeks of maintenance while continuing to add foods and reduce the AS.

Welcome to maintenance!

Jane

Last edited by luvlonghorns; 10-22-2009 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: clarification
luvlonghorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jane - so how is all that feeling?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Macauley, it feels delicious and a bit scary to tell the truth. A couple of days I ate some low cal/low carb baked products from a local bakery and OMG were they yummy! They use vital wheat gluten, garbanzo bean flour and black bean flour along with sea salt, onion, flax seed, yeast & molasses. Even though it is a dense bread, I think the flavor is superior to others. I've only indulged like that a couple of times even though it's allowed daily. I also have not eaten rice or beans yet - these are such favorites of mine, I'm afraid I won't be able to stop. Doesn't that sound silly?
-Jane
Old 10-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Hi Jane -doesn't sound silly to me - I don't think I will ever eat bread again for the same reason...
Old 10-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dodgern
Stats: 236/150.6/140- now on maintenance
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 2/26/09
Hey All-

Just a note to say I know how you feel about starting to take carbs in again!
I didn't realize how sweet breads taste! Same with catsup-between that and the salt yeesh
I gave in to my weakness- Hallowe'en candy AND I paid for it because my stomach hasn't been nice to me today BUT I only indulged in a couple of things and now I know that it's not worth it!!
I found a new thing that I enjoy immensely and it's actually on our list of allowed carbs-sweet potatoes!!! I found a recipe on foodnetwork.com for sweet potato fries BUT they're actually baked in the oven. YUMMMMMY
I lost weight on my first 2 weeks of maintenance and my NP was a little perturbed I told her that if I reached 130lbs I wouldn't be upset-I'm only 5'3 so that would still leave me with a BMI that's high for my height. I say to heck with the BMI scale!!! You're goal weight should be where you're feeling the best!
My parents told me I was bony now and my hubby agreed with them
I was at my lowest weight ever when I met my hubby so it cracked me up when he agreed! I was down to 122lbs-I looked like I was anorexic BUT it wasn't because I wasn't eating-my metabolism was so high, I couldn't eat enough to keep up with it. BUT I was also a gym rat then too. I worked out 6 days/week doing a ton of cardio! Unfortunately, I hurt my back,quit the gym cuz I couldn't do cardio (sciatica) and still ate like I was...back to square 1 :blush:
I've been sick with the crud-NOT H1N1- but flu-ish anyways. I can't do cardio now because I got a chest full of ick right now. Whenever I take a deep breath I cough and I've quite a bark right now so I don't want to scare the other people at the gym Nope,it's not anything more serious than a cold with a little tummy issue but it's not keeping from eating cuz I can keep food down!
I even cancelled my appointment with MWL cuz I don't think they would be comfortable with me sounding like I do even though it's been 4 days-I am feeling better though so my exercise has been yardwork-mowed yesterday and just finished all the weedeating!!!

Anyways, sorry for the long post BUT wanted to say that there are carb-reduced breads,wraps,etc that taste really good! So try them out-it's the best of both worlds low carb with flavor Read your labels and read your packet for maintenance both are very helpful!!!

cindy
dodgern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Hi all - third day in my transition phase and must admit I haven't been able to stop living the 'acute' life... can't get my head around it yet... glad I still wanted to lose a few more pounds
Old 10-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Right there with you, Macauley, it is hard to get used to the idea of maintaining what we have achieved. I am dealing with a huge load of stress and toxic vibes at the office at the moment, and I thank the folks at my clinic for their wisdom, and for my habit of meditation, because that is getting me through the worst of it. I had forgotten about office politics and the nasty little gossipy people who like to make trouble for you for one reason or another...you know the ones..they are nice to your face and stab you in the back when you aren't looking or being as aware of what you say as you might otherwise be. Believe, I AM relearning how to deal with all of that...and I am not really surprised by it all...just shocked by how bad it has gotten while I was away. (Or maybe it always was, and I am just seeing it with new eyes)

Anyway...all that being said, I weighed myself this morning, my usual Saturday morning "weigh in" and I am holding at 152. Still up every morning at 415..next week it will be 315 because of a wierd schedule for a week...treadmilling for an hour, and still walking in sunshine when I get home.

We will all get where we are going, and we will get there together!

Jo
Old 10-25-2009, 06:15 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tracy_d
Stats: 5'7'' 191.5/150.5/150 now on maintenance
Start Date: June 8, 2009
I am officially on short term maintenance now, even though I am a couple pounds over my goal weight. For the past 3 weeks I have been up and down 2-3 pounds, so I figured that my body is trying to tell me it's time. I hadn't GAINED at all during the whole time I was in the acute phase until now. I am very nervous. In an attempt to lose those last 3 pounds, I have been trying to get back into ketosis (don't know when or how I slipped out due to faulty sticks). When I decided to go into maintenance, I said forget ketosis....However, I am afraid to add carbs. My calorie/carb intake has increased, but I feel like I am pigging out. Almost like I am out of control. Especially because I am only taking the phentermine every other day. Yesterday was and "off" day and I ate 1000 calories and 35g carbs. Has anyone else had these feelings? I want to gain control again, but my clinic is confusing me with the whole maintenance thing, and I just don't know what to do....

Last edited by tracy_d; 10-25-2009 at 06:17 AM..
tracy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

~Tracy~I began weaning myself off the AS when I was about 20 pounds from goal. I was down to 1/2 a tablet a day..taken late afternoon. The clinic said no more Rx because my BMI, and Fat % were where they were. BMI is 22.1 and Fat % at 25.3%. So when they were gone, they were gone.

So no more AS. I do take the Stay Slim and it helps that late afternoon wierdness. I test every other day now rather than every day, just to keep myself honest. I am adding calories back very slowly, testing out foods one at a time. I am holding at 152 so that is good. I only weigh once a week, as I did do the daily weigh but my weight fluctuates from 2-5 pounds due to water retention so it is too much stress for me to weigh every day. It IS hard to add the calories back and the carbs. I am taking it really slowly because for me, I know I have to, and thank goodness, my clinic understands and they are with me all the way.

Hang in there!

Jo
Old 10-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jo. Your encouraging words are very helpful!
Old 10-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Tracy-Right there with you. I'm off the AS and ending my first two weeks of maintenance with a weigh in tomorrow. My home scale had me at 178.6 this morning so I'm holding. I DO weigh myself EVERY day. Always have! That's my accountability. I've retired the ketostix as I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't be in ketosis in maintenance. My interpretation.

I've always eaten one fruit and one veggie everyday in the acute phase. So adding a few more veggies is not too hard. Now the carb, ie starch...not so easy. Before medi, I LOVED the high fiber English Muffins allowed on maintenance. Had half of one the other day and ...eh, I could take it or leave it. I've had one flat out wrap for a sandwich...again, no big deal. They do show how to make a pizza...thought I might try with tomatoes, lf cheese and turkey pepperoni. This morning, I had one quarter of an everything bagel...it was delicious...I didn't want more but it was the best starch I've had. Oh and I had cereal one day...I ate cereal every morning pre MWL...again could skip it.

So, the starchy stuff is of no real interest to me. I've had a glass of wine here and there. Sometimes I love it, others, I think I'd prefer water.

Don't be afraid to add back some of the allowed items. Do be surprised when they really don't hold the appeal they once did.

Keep posting as you and I are fairly close on our maintenance journey....I actually feel better than you are experiencing a similar "anxiety" about maintenance. El

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy_d View Post
I am officially on short term maintenance now, even though I am a couple pounds over my goal weight. For the past 3 weeks I have been up and down 2-3 pounds, so I figured that my body is trying to tell me it's time. I hadn't GAINED at all during the whole time I was in the acute phase until now. I am very nervous. In an attempt to lose those last 3 pounds, I have been trying to get back into ketosis (don't know when or how I slipped out due to faulty sticks). When I decided to go into maintenance, I said forget ketosis....However, I am afraid to add carbs. My calorie/carb intake has increased, but I feel like I am pigging out. Almost like I am out of control. Especially because I am only taking the phentermine every other day. Yesterday was and "off" day and I ate 1000 calories and 35g carbs. Has anyone else had these feelings? I want to gain control again, but my clinic is confusing me with the whole maintenance thing, and I just don't know what to do....
Old 10-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Hi All -
First weekend on MAIN-TAIN - I have increased calories but not carbs. In fact, I actually ate less carbs... I was craving 'something' today... but nothing really sounded good. Even went to the grocery store and nothing... I looked at the low carb ice cream (it was warm here today) but just didn't feel like it was worth it. So I went out and joined a gym instead...
I'm feeling like I will eat things as they come up -like pumpkin pie 'cuz I love it!- but overall I am thinking that this may just be the way I live... wouldn't that be nice!
I started taking the Medi sublinguals - are any of you taking these?
Tracy - great job on the 5 k - really fabulous!
Jo - my doc asked if I wanted to take the Stay Slim - how do you find them? Sorry about your office 'bs' - I so hate that stuff - always wonder why people can't just do their job instead of talking about other people..
best wishes for a great week all!
Old 10-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi All -
First weekend on MAIN-TAIN - I have increased calories but not carbs. In fact, I actually ate less carbs... I was craving 'something' today... but nothing really sounded good. Even went to the grocery store and nothing... I looked at the low carb ice cream (it was warm here today) but just didn't feel like it was worth it. So I went out and joined a gym instead...
I'm feeling like I will eat things as they come up -like pumpkin pie 'cuz I love it!- but overall I am thinking that this may just be the way I live... wouldn't that be nice!
I started taking the Medi sublinguals - are any of you taking these?
Tracy - great job on the 5 k - really fabulous!
Jo - my doc asked if I wanted to take the Stay Slim - how do you find them? Sorry about your office 'bs' - I so hate that stuff - always wonder why people can't just do their job instead of talking about other people..
best wishes for a great week all!
~Macauley~ The Stay Slim helps with the mid and late day wierdness I experience. Gets me through them nicely. At least worth a try.

I currently take a subling B12, have not seen the subling B6 yet but probably will on Thursday on my office visit.

Jo
Old 10-26-2009, 04:20 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jo and Macauley-
'It's really nice to know that my anxieties and feelings are shared by others. Sometimes I feel soooo nervous about this and it is a constant mind struggle for me..."What should I try, what should I NOT try." I'm like you Macauley- I have increased calories but not too much increase on carbs. I have tried the flat out wrap things that look like a flat bun- not too bad. I had a half of one with a TBSP of crunchy peanut butter and SF grape jelly after I ran the 5k- it was FABULOUS! Funny because I hardly ever ate PB& J before

I weigh in today and my scale at home says I lost 1lb this week. It may have been less (my scale doesn't do ounces), but that's OK. I am hoping my clinic tells me more info about the maintenance phase today. I can't remember which supplement the stay slim replaces. Is it he fat burner? I definitely need the stay slim as the late afternoon / and evening has become my "dreaded time of day". The emotional snacking is crazy for me! I think it's because I want to experiment with all the new tastes!

Last edited by tracy_d; 10-26-2009 at 04:22 AM..
Old 10-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Tracy, Jo & Macauley,
I too am struggling with mental resistance to adding carbs to my diet. I'm fine with the idea of more calories, but a review of my habits on the Daily Plate show that in maintenance, I hover around 30 net carbohydrate grams (net of fiber, not net of any sugar alcohols, the way it's shown on Daily Plate). That's still very low carb. Today, my largest carb grams came from grapefruit and cauliflower - a diet still very acute in nature, just higher in overall calories. I did have 1/2 cup of rice one evening and it did not hold the allure it once did. I do, however, love the LowCarb/LowCal bread products from the Francis Simun Bakery here in Dallas. I know it's because of the garbanzo and black bean flours they are made with. I love beans and legumes! I'm definitely afraid to eat them at this early stage of maintenance. Will discuss with my clinic when I go in this Thursday.
On a very happy note, I had a clear mammogram today at the Cooper Clinic. It was much easier to endure with my new, smaller breasts. Although, they are somewhat droopier than before, my breasts are no longer just bursting forward out of my skin. The radiologist didn't require the additional films that they have usually required due to my breast density and difficulty viewing everything they need to see. Another MEDI benefit!
-Jane
Old 10-27-2009, 04:21 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Jane-
I hear ya on the "still low carb" maintenance. The only things other than veggies and fruits I have added are the flat out flax wraps with 8g of net carbs. I used them a couple of times to make a "sandwich". I thought about making french toast out of them, but don't feel like I want to "waste" the carbs with such a low protein food...maybe I'll have some egg beaters with it if I get up the nerve to make it. I also found some snack toast that is cinnamon flavored with 8g carbs. I put a little cream cheese on it and have it for a snack - 50 calories with FF cream cheese, 40 cal alone!

One carb I have been craving though is tortilla chips with salsa! Maybe I'll get some of the garlic flavored snack toast and use that as a chip.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy_d View Post

One carb I have been craving though is tortilla chips with salsa! Maybe I'll get some of the garlic flavored snack toast and use that as a chip.
Tracy,

I've been taking the 2 Tam-X-ico's white corn tortillas, 25 calories and 4.5 net carbs each, and cook them in my George Foreman grill until crisp. Then I take them out, spray them lightly with Pam and lightly salt them. I cut them up into triangles with a pizza cutter. They are pretty darn good if I say so myself.

For me the tortillas and potato skins are about the only non-vegetable or non-fruit carbs that I have added in. My clinic doctor suggested increasing my calories while on maintenance by incorporating more of the foods I was already eating, and only have starchy carbs on special occasions.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

I am kind of on the same type of journey...increasing the Boar's Head turkey to 4oz along with a Mission Low Carb type fajita size tortilla for a little lunch wrap. I really like the Yoplait Fiber One Key Lime yogurt. 4oz is plenty but it is really good and a great treat. A baked apple with cinnamon sprinkles. An orange. And gasp! I actually purchased a 1 oz portion of Havarti cheese at the deli. No more. That was enough!

A few more almonds. Have not gotten near the golden raisins yet...they are a favorite...but am staying away for the time being. Not much of a beef eater but Trader Joe's mini burgers are not only cute but tasty. Two are 3 oz are 180 cal I think...90/10 beef...wish it was a bit leaner though. Wish I could find a good low sugar oatmeal. And a good low sugar trail mix. Am looking at a cranberry one at TJ's just have not bought it yet. Have not succombed to a potato either or bread. Tried brown rice...just a little but I cannot go there just yet.

Well, that pretty much sums it up...at least for now. Oh, I tried turkey bacon. Cannot go there either...far to tempting. Do better with the turkey sausages.

Jo