Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #721
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Nancy - Look at your weight loss and hitting goal is SUCH a short time! Isn't Medi great! Do not be down on yourself for having emotions. You may be interested in reading the Books and Blog thread (or vise versa listing?!) that we have here....I know we want it to last and that we are interested in healthy living...but sometimes when losing it so fast our emotions catch up with us because we're so busy doing the program we didn't really deal with all the emotional eating stuff too. I can certainly understand your fears with a number of funerals lately, and having been a survivor. It's ok to be thankful and live, but it would be understandable if part of it is "survivor guilt" because you were able to be treated. I've felt unqualified several times because of having had been so proactive with bilateral mastectomies and not gone through chemo or radiation. There are so many reasons tied up to why I was eating, that it was helpful for me to finally see a specific counselor about this. There were just too many things to comment about here...and it really helped me to see things better and take more control of my emotions instead of letting them make me choose to eat poorly, etc. I'm so glad you're here! We love ya!

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-19-2010 at 06:16 PM..
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #722
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
WOE: Medi
Start Date: May 5, 2009
HI Susie, Jo, McBoo. Over on the other side for a few months. Hope you are all well. See you soon!
(Will need more help during maintenance this time around!)
NOT2fat4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #723
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
Are we allowed to post a link to our blog? Not because I care about everyone reading about me, but because I just posted a before and current picture on there.
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #724
Major LCF Poster!

Lins - Jerry usually always has his link to his blog, I think it's part of his signature. If you prefer I guess you could safely PM Jo about this. I'd love to see pictures!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:01 AM   #725
Senior LCF Member

Okay if you click on my screename it gives a drop down menu.... go to "Lins' homepage" and it gives you the link to my blog. If there is another way, someone let me know but for now that works.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:11 AM   #726
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/22/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
Okay if you click on my screename it gives a drop down menu.... go to "Lins' homepage" and it gives you the link to my blog. If there is another way, someone let me know but for now that works.
lins ~ all I can say is WOW !! I know how hard you've worked to get to this point... and you look fabulous. Congratulations!!!
AnnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:39 AM   #727
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kelly4me
Stats: Lost 53 pounds 2010, Restart 2013
WOE: MWL in 2010, Low Carb 2013
Start Date: 8/27/2010, 10/22/2013
Quote:
You look totally awesome, congrats! That hard work sure paid off!!
kelly4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #728
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
Quote:
Really great! You look so good!
Charlene4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #729
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene4 View Post
Really great! You look so good!
And so do you, Charlene... and that's quite a handsome dog with you .
Old 10-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #730
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nance7
Stats: 5'3" 165/125/135 Restart 7/9/12 at 142
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: 5/31/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
Nancy - Look at your weight loss and hitting goal is SUCH a short time! Isn't Medi great! Do not be down on yourself for having emotions. You may be interested in reading the Books and Blog thread (or vise versa listing?!) that we have here....I know we want it to last and that we are interested in healthy living...but sometimes when losing it so fast our emotions catch up with us because we're so busy doing the program we didn't really deal with all the emotional eating stuff too. I can certainly understand your fears with a number of funerals lately, and having been a survivor. It's ok to be thankful and live, but it would be understandable if part of it is "survivor guilt" because you were able to be treated. I've felt unqualified several times because of having had been so proactive with bilateral mastectomies and not gone through chemo or radiation. There are so many reasons tied up to why I was eating, that it was helpful for me to finally see a specific counselor about this. There were just too many things to comment about here...and it really helped me to see things better and take more control of my emotions instead of letting them make me choose to eat poorly, etc. I'm so glad you're here! We love ya!
Debbie, thank you so much. I do need to read some of the books about eating issues, and I seriously need to see a counselor about a lot of things. In succession, I dealt with: my parents' decline and deaths, early retirement from my job, selling my house and moving, getting remarried (yes, some of it was good stress!), then melanoma and all of the surgeries. I dealt with it all by refusing to be anything other than steadfastly positive and by taking care of everybody else, which is my M.O. I am now experiencing a lot of anxiety, over the food and a lot of other things, and I know I need to talk to somebody. I hadn't even considered "survivor guilt". I thought it was more of watching people around me dying of cancer, and living in fear of recurrence, not having any control over that and trying to exercise extreme control over my eating as a way to control SOMETHING (like anorexics do). Well, enough armchair analysis. I'll get myself to a counselor soon. I think that most of us with food issues are nurturers of everyone else, and that the way in which we nurtured ourselves was through food. I certainly used sugar as comfort for many years. Thanks so much for being here!
Nance7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #731
Major LCF Poster!

Nancy - Whew! I'm glad that was received well. I am going tomorrow evening to a Komen survivor function; other than being in the Race for the Cure and a speaker once for a local American Cancer Society walk as a survivor and advocate for early detection, this is my first big event (as a participant) in the past 3 1/2 years postop. I want Komen to do even more about getting the word out that women are at risk if they are DES daughters. I feel a bit of survivor's guilt because I've figured out this risk, later saw it confirmed by the Mayo clinic, and want to warn other women....who won't KNOW if they are DES daughters unless they ask their moms if they took diethylstilbestrol during their pregnancy. As these moms age and die off there is no source for the daughters to know. No one would know but their moms. As a nurse I've been in a giving "of self" profession, and then put my daughters first, their schedules, my lack of exercise discipline previously, military father and all the issues of moving around so many times, oldest child,etc. I'm so glad you are considering talking to a counselor!! There are KNOWN stressors that are major in a life, and you having experienced all the them and repeatedly, and in such a short amount of time is A LOT! I'm glad you're here with us too!

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-20-2010 at 09:37 PM..
Old 10-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #732
Major LCF Poster!

Lins - you look so great! I know what you mean...it's surprising to really examine my thighs/hips/waist in "old" photos. How nice that you live in FL and can probably run daily year round! Love your smile too!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:56 AM   #733
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, wow, Lins!! You look amazing. It was fun to read about you and your family and yes, your smile is great. You have so much to smile about. I want to read more about your running (and everyone else's). So many of you on here run, and I'd love some encouragement to do that. Anyway, thanks for sharing with us.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #734
Senior LCF Member

I keep forgetting to mention that I've lost 7 inches from my hips, 6.5 from my waist (and yes, unwanted inches from up top...). I made the mistake of buying some things when I thought I couldn't possibly get any smaller, and I'm having to have those things altered now! I remain completely amazed at being able to wear very small sizes and easily sliding into them. This Medi thing is incredible!

I have 4 "disciples" now! One friend has lost 33 lbs.; her daughter has lost 16 lbs.; another friend has lost about 25 lbs.; a very large male friend lost 28 lbs. in 4 weeks and is well on his way to losing the 100 lbs. he needs to lose. Recently, he said he was mad at me for waiting 3 months to tell him about Medi! They are all so excited, and it's really great to watch others succeed, too.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #735
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Nancy - Whew! I'm glad that was received well. I am going tomorrow evening to a Komen survivor function; other than being in the Race for the Cure and a speaker once for a local American Cancer Society walk as a survivor and advocate for early detection, this is my first big event (as a participant) in the past 3 1/2 years postop. I want Komen to do even more about getting the word out that women are at risk if they are DES daughters. I feel a bit of survivor's guilt because I've figured out this risk, later saw it confirmed by the Mayo clinic, and want to warn other women....who won't KNOW if they are DES daughters unless they ask their moms if they took diethylstilbestrol during their pregnancy. As these moms age and die off there is no source for the daughters to know. No one would know but their moms. As a nurse I've been in a giving "of self" profession, and then put my daughters first, their schedules, my lack of exercise discipline previously, military father and all the issues of moving around so many times, oldest child,etc. I'm so glad you are considering talking to a counselor!! There are KNOWN stressors that are major in a life, and you having experienced all the them and repeatedly, and in such a short amount of time is A LOT! I'm glad you're here with us too!
Debbie, I knew from the start that you were a born nurturer, too--as a nurse and as a mom. I, too, work in a helping profession, though not quite as hands-on as yours. Yes, major stressors that I didn't even include: single mom for many years (since the kids were 11 and 6); son with many issues; the only child in town to help my parents, including taking over their affairs, moving them to assisted living, cleaning out and selling their house, dealing with all of their care and final days, all while working in a pressure-cooker environment. Yes, always putting myself last, because there was no way to put myself anywhere else. Sugar was my drug and my comfort. Which books have you found most helpful?

Deb, you keep preaching about the DES daughters. What you are doing is SO important, and you'll never really know how many lives you might save by getting the word out. Thanks again for being there for me!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #736
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Nancy - I don't take a lot of time to read, but the ones I've found MOST helpful are my Bible () and Julie Hadden's book "Fat Chance." I also find listening to K-LOVE radio station helps. I think we just get so busy with "doing" that we lose sight of just "being" and that our value is not what we do for others/God but just how much has already been paid for our salvation, by God's grace, and I don't earn my way to His favor, but I want to please Him because He first loved me! I was raised in a military home of rules and not being able to express feelings (not to blame my Dad solely, but just the career he had that took him away from the home repeatedly 3 to 7 months of every year from me being age 6 to age 18); so as a mom of MY children I wanted them to know they are safe, secure, encouraged....yet I still had my own insecurities so I too had my sugar "friend" to comfort/reward/assault me. You have had incredible strength to go through all the major things in your life--I cannot imagine the ongoing stress you've been through. BUT, the truth is you are awesome even having not been so "out there" for others. You are loved and you don't have to work for approval. Just "be." Years and years ago I had a chance to meet one of my favorite Christian singers, Rich Mullins, and I wanted him to autograph for my daughters two little New Testaments that I had in my purse. He asked about them, took a moment as if to pray, and then to each wrote "Be God's." He died just several months later in a highway accident. When I read a story in the newspaper after his death I then learned that was his trademark "signature," Be God's. It's a decision, it's a calling, it's a service, it's a ministry, it's a position, it's a relationship, it's a surrender. I know over and over again I have to step back and see that I'm BUSY, and not really being, and certainly not being His. Nope. I choose to be His! (I know this was kinda preachy, but it's intent was just to let you know I don't have the means to receive credit for anything in my life....I'm just passing through....but He's the one with the plan! I can get hung up on fears, etc, but that's not the truth. I have to remind myself sometimes several times a day that I don't have to do things in my own strength...
Old 10-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #737
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Nancy - I don't take a lot of time to read, but the ones I've found MOST helpful are my Bible () and Julie Hadden's book "Fat Chance." I also find listening to K-LOVE radio station helps. I think we just get so busy with "doing" that we lose sight of just "being" and that our value is not what we do for others/God but just how much has already been paid for our salvation, by God's grace, and I don't earn my way to His favor, but I want to please Him because He first loved me! I was raised in a military home of rules and not being able to express feelings (not to blame my Dad solely, but just the career he had that took him away from the home repeatedly 3 to 7 months of every year from me being age 6 to age 18); so as a mom of MY children I wanted them to know they are safe, secure, encouraged....yet I still had my own insecurities so I too had my sugar "friend" to comfort/reward/assault me. You have had incredible strength to go through all the major things in your life--I cannot imagine the ongoing stress you've been through. BUT, the truth is you are awesome even having not been so "out there" for others. You are loved and you don't have to work for approval. Just "be." Years and years ago I had a chance to meet one of my favorite Christian singers, Rich Mullins, and I wanted him to autograph for my daughters two little New Testaments that I had in my purse. He asked about them, took a moment as if to pray, and then to each wrote "Be God's." He died just several months later in a highway accident. When I read a story in the newspaper after his death I then learned that was his trademark "signature," Be God's. It's a decision, it's a calling, it's a service, it's a ministry, it's a position, it's a relationship, it's a surrender. I know over and over again I have to step back and see that I'm BUSY, and not really being, and certainly not being His. Nope. I choose to be His! (I know this was kinda preachy, but it's intent was just to let you know I don't have the means to receive credit for anything in my life....I'm just passing through....but He's the one with the plan! I can get hung up on fears, etc, but that's not the truth. I have to remind myself sometimes several times a day that I don't have to do things in my own strength...
Debbie--Thank you so much. We're getting ready to dash out of town for my husband's Homecoming, so I don't have time to adequately respond to your lovely post. "Be God's." I absolutely love that. I want to read it again on Sunday and will write more then.

One quick thought I had earlier: maybe one way to move beyond your survivor's guilt is to realize that you survived to have this mission to save others (i.e., the lectures to inspire women to ask their mothers about DES, get checked, etc.). No need to feel guilty anymore: you were saved for a very good reason!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #738
Major LCF Poster!

Nancy - back at 'cha!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #739
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Debbie, lins, you, girls, look amazing. Young, vibrant and proud! Keep it up!
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #740
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 4/26/2010
*delete, posted in the wrong thread*

Last edited by Ortal; 10-22-2010 at 07:27 AM..
Ortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #741
Senior LCF Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am back down the 4lbs I was up on Monday at my appointment. I knew it was water weight due to TOM, but I was still very happy to see 130 pop up on the scale this morning. I am back on 800 cal of "transition style" eating. at least 500 calories of protein, 2 veggies, and 1 starch
Old 10-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #742
Major LCF Poster!

Nancy and friends - I'm thankful for the Komen event last PM, I did get to visit with a director about DES Daughter concerns, getting the word out, etc. If anyone is wondering more about it you can check out DESAction.org, of particular interest watch the hulu Lou Grant video clip (it's on the bottom of the site's home page), the show gives you insight into some of the fears my sisters and I have gone through. And that was prior to the studies after 2006 showing that DES daughters were also nearly two times more likely than other women to get breast cancer! Ask your moms if she took it, knowing can make you a more active self advocate and save your life.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:47 AM   #743
Senior LCF Member

Question for my wise cohorts here ~ how long are we supposed to stay in ketosis? Forever? I'm now in transition, at 1000 cals (which I don't usually get to, due to fear :blush, but I've been measuring negative this week a lot. My sticks are good (new). I did a search on this question, but must not know how to narrow down the results properly. Oh, I know I should have asked at the clinic, but I forgot...
Old 10-23-2010, 05:11 AM   #744
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
Question for my wise cohorts here ~ how long are we supposed to stay in ketosis? Forever? I'm now in transition, at 1000 cals (which I don't usually get to, due to fear :blush, but I've been measuring negative this week a lot. My sticks are good (new). I did a search on this question, but must not know how to narrow down the results properly. Oh, I know I should have asked at the clinic, but I forgot...
Ideally, you should be in ketosis until you reach your goal and then add carbs that will get you out of it. Not my case, though. I have been out of ketosis even before reaching my goal, still was able to reach it, though. So you reached your goal so you should not be in ketosis, I think.
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #745
Major LCF Poster!

Yep, I agree with Irina. After reaching goal a time or two I went back to week 1 for a couple days and had ketosis again; but adding back in calories I jumped back out of ketosis. I literally could probably get to 125 based on my "love handles!" but I don't want to lose what I have up top and find out I still have my love handles. Besides, I think 125 would be too hard for me to maintain, it always was in the past. My goal is 137 (this AM I was 140.4 lbs) and wouldn't mind making it though to 133. No pressure though, just want to stay in this size and feel good in it without that carby puffiness feeling!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #746
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dodgern
Stats: 236/150.6/140- now on maintenance
Start Date: 2/26/09
Hi Deb.....

You and I are about the same size...I'm 5'3 and,right now,weigh about 145....
I lost those extra pounds after hitting maintenance and was down to 128!!

BUT, I looked like death warmed over!! My ribs were showing,my hip bones were sticking out and my face yuckkkkkk!!!!

I put some weight back on because I knew how bad I looked...FOR ME!!!!

My folks were down this past week and told me how better I looked!!
Even my boss told me the same thing...so I guess I needed it to just look healthy. These comments were unsolicited too. So, I guess the difference was obvious!!!

So...I'm with you about not wanting to lose any more weight! Stay where you are comfortable!!!

cindy
dodgern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #747
Senior LCF Member

Ketosis

Hi All...

Just a couple of thoughts about ketosis.

First of all, I think they pound that premise into us at the beginning to make us more conscious of how our bodies are reacting to the new WOE.

BUT, I think they should back off a bit when you're close to goal weight! We've done what we're supposed to do which is lose the fat we gained!!!
BUT, once goal is reached, ketosis is no longer a good thing!!! Ketosis is a chemical reaction due to burning fat for energy. After we have started maintenance, we shouldn't be secreting that chemical in our urine. You can get rid of fat without being in ketosis! You build muscle with your exercise and, in order to maintain that muscle, your body will still burn calories. When you're eating to maintain your now-healthy weight, your intake of carbs is where your energy comes from...(I hate ending sentences with a preposition )

Carbs are not ALL bad.....check out glycemic values of foods... Google was very helpful for me We need to be taking in low glycemic carbs so that we burn what we take in every day....if you don't eat enough, you will start to burn your lean muscle and that is VERY UNHEALTHY!!!!

Staying low carb in your everyday lives is a good thing!!! But carbs are necessary in your diets!!!!!

In the hospital, we used to check diabetic patients for ketosis. If they were secreting ketones, it was a very serious problem!!!!!

Just take care of yourselves!!!!!!

cindy
Old 10-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #748
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Cindy,
Yep, back in the "old" days, 30 years ago when I was in nursing school, we checked ketosis to show that a patient's diabetes was out of control, they'd used up their carb energy and were burning their fat...and had fruity ketotic breath as their blood sugars got higher and higher out of control, granted these are insulin diabetics/not mediweightloss regular patients. Then accucheck-type fingerstick glucose monitoring was invented and showed much more accurate results, than however old the urine specimen was that was just voided. You're absolutely right that we need to be eating low glycemic nutrition-rich foods; cutting out the simple empty high glycemic carbs as much as possible. Yet, it's such a bad "habit" to think of Halloween candy, Thanksgiving pumpkin pie, Christmas fudge, etc. Why did all the "good" stuff have to have empty calories!?!! (the only part-way decent one I mentioned is pumpkin pie)

BTW: I'm changing my stats...I measured a few months ago and I was 5'3"...I've shrunk an inch, probably due to neck injury from motor vehicle crash in 1981.
Debbie

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-23-2010 at 01:21 PM..
Old 10-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #749
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Cindy,
Yep, back in the "old" days, 30 years ago when I was in nursing school, we checked ketosis to show that a patient's diabetes was out of control, they'd used up their carb energy and were burning their fat...and had fruity ketotic breath as their blood sugars got higher and higher out of control, granted these are insulin diabetics/not mediweightloss regular patients. Then accucheck-type fingerstick glucose monitoring was invented and showed much more accurate results, than however old the urine specimen was that was just voided. You're absolutely right that we need to be eating low glycemic nutrition-rich foods; cutting out the simple empty high glycemic carbs as much as possible. Yet, it's such a bad "habit" to think of Halloween candy, Thanksgiving pumpkin pie, Christmas fudge, etc. Why did all the "good" stuff have to have empty calories!?!! (the only part-way decent one I mentioned is pumpkin pie)

BTW: I'm changing my stats...I measured a few months ago and I was 5'3"...I've shrunk an inch, probably due to neck injury from motor vehicle crash in 1981.
Debbie
Thanks Deb, Cindy & Irina ~ that makes perfect sense. I also worked with a diabetic caseload as a counselor a few years ago. From the diabetes educators I learned about ketosis being a bad thing ~ and thus it scared me at first when I started Medi, having had only that reference to go by.
As I remember, the CDEs taught that, although carbs need to be eaten in moderation, we all need them to function. Anyway, I won't fret about the negative ketosis readings now!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #750
Senior LCF Member

LOL!!!!!!

I shrunk an inch too....figured it was my FAT dragging me down

Glad I could help

cindy