Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #661
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I just wanted to say that on days I don't run it's not like I don't do any kind of exercise. I start every morning with squats, crunches, jumping jacks, legs lifts etc... And I almost always get 10,000 steps in, the running is on top of all of that.
lins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #662
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txntv
Stats: 5'5" 169.5/131/140
Start Date: March 25, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
I am right there with you, Susie. I absolutely have to stay low carb, or at least as low as humanly possible, and safely as possible, without damaging liver and kidneys and keeping the protein to the lean proteins.

But I can shift 5-7 pounds...which is totally frustrating at times, and then I HAVE to stay away from the scales. My schedule changes every month but mostly I am working afternoons such as 1p-930p so I can walk in the am...getting in my miles BEFORE work, and still walk on my lunch break for about 15 more aerobic minutes.

Someday, maybe this will be like child's play, but not yet. I fought so hard to lose the weight, I will fight just as hard to keep it off. Do not get me wrong. I do NOT feel deprived or missing foods. I just do my level best to choose wisely when I grocery shop, and make sure my "go to work" lunch is ready to go every day. I eat out on occasion and make good choices there as well. But I am not at the point where I can just "phone it in".

Working in the travel industry, there is food EVERYWHERE, and totally unhealthy choices in the vending machines. The little cafe has food choices, but they are not ones I would willingly make. Plus there is the popcorn out every day, and the sweets. Good lord, I am surprised everyone does not weigh 1000 pounds. Several of us walk on breaks and lunches...eating lunch as we walk to get in as many minutes as possible. I prepare every night for the next day. Each week, I get my little snack packs and turkey packs/cheese slices packaged so I can just grab and go in the morning.

Okay, enough for now. Suffice it to say, it is all SOOOOOO worth it!

Jo
Right on, Jo! Every day is still a battle for me. Like you, I limit carbs. I still track what I eat using a web app. I keep drinking loads of water. I, however, cannot weigh myself daily as MWL recommends. It stresses me out just to see a one pound difference and ruins my day. So I try to do it on the weekends so it doesn't affect my work.

I am keeping it off for good. This plan really changed how I manage my day-to-day eating.

Last night, my book club met at La Madeleine. You could go earlier to meet for dinner or come later for discussion. So I went to the site to see if there were any options for me. Only THREE smart choices and they didn't thrill me. One was 600ish calories. One was 700ish. Imagine how much is in the regular dishes! So I ate at home and joined them later.

Thanks for all your wonderful support and advice. We're all similar in many ways. Y'all rock!
July: -2.5
Beyond: -5
Total loss: 38

Wellness...
txntv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #663
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nsjx
Stats: 203.5/159/159 - maintenance
WOE: medi
Start Date: April 17, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
I am right there with you, Susie. I absolutely have to stay low carb, or at least as low as humanly possible, and safely as possible, without damaging liver and kidneys and keeping the protein to the lean proteins.
Jo
Hi Jo, this caught my attention. What is the 411 on low carb and liver and kidney damage?
nsjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #664
Senior LCF Member

I am staying low carb too, and when I do have some carbs I am trying to eat those earlier in the day so that I have pleanty of time to burn them off before I got to bed at night. My dinner's are protein (even my veggies I try to eat at lunch). That doesn't always work out but that's my goal.
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #665
Senior LCF Member

Today I want to emotional eat which I know is not a good thing, and knowing that is so far allowing me not to do it.

I think one thing that is hard for me right now is that when you are working hard in the acute phase you get the reward of seeing lower numbers on the scale each week, and a drop in clothes size from time to time, but now that I don't really have any more weight goals, or size goals to look forward to, I find it hard to stay on track. I am not gaining weight, so I know that's a good thing, but it's still hard to stay focused. I am still training for the half marathon which is a nice goal for me to work toward, but it just doesn't feel like enough some days. Oh well, I'll keep on doing what I'm doing, it does work.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #666
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Lins - WOW, you hit the nail on the head with how ambivalent I sometimes feel when you said: "I think one thing that is hard for me right now is that when you are working hard in the acute phase you get the reward of seeing lower numbers on the scale each week, and a drop in clothes size from time to time, but now that I don't really have any more weight goals, or size goals to look forward to, I find it hard to stay on track. I am not gaining weight, so I know that's a good thing, but it's still hard to stay focused.

I have lost weight, I am in smaller clothes, I never planned to have a perfect body so I accept my poochy tummy which is gonna be that way too because of abdominal muscle surgery, I have my prediabetes/insulin resistance under control, I now can actually jog 2 1/2 miles continuously and my endurance is up so much! I have met SO many goals!!! But I have another goal now of getting my allergies under control, my food portions in a WOE that I can live with from now on, and would like to increase the speed of my jogging (which really scares me because I'm so comfortable now). I don't want to make my life an endless "to do" project because in the past I've been an "all or nothing at all type person." I don't want to get frustrated!Need to focus on the positivies I guess and not the "what if's" I project will come up and hinder my progress. I need to remember that I really LIKE how I feel NOW!
I'm glad you're here on this thread too...I still need to talk things like this out and folks like Erin and Lea are not writing in as much...man I miss them!
WE CAN DO THIS LIFESTYLE! I'm so proud of you for figuring this out while your kids are young!
Hope you have an awesome day, my friend!
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #667
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dodgern
Stats: 236/150.6/140- now on maintenance
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 2/26/09
Hi Folks

I've been reading all your posts and I feel I have a little insight into these feelings that you're having....guilt,ambivalence,and frustration.
As a "Maintainer", it's been a year for me , I have had a lot of these same feelings. BUT, I feel that I've dealt with a lot of these feelings by prioritizing things in my life.

I have learned to allow myself to LIKE me now I have dealt with the fact that I'll NEVER have the perfect body :blush: I've been overweight (FAT) for most of my life. I was an overweight child,overweight teenager, and overweight adult! I lost a lot of weight when I was in my early 30s (130 lbs ), met my husband, hurt my back, ate like I was still exercising , and gained over 100lbs back
My husband (God Bless HIM!) still loved me no matter what He gained weight too and developed type 2 diabetes We both knew something had to change!! I tried LA Weightloss-what a waste of $$$
I stagnated,let myself continue to abuse my body and finally had ENOUGH!!
I HATED being overweight I HATED not being able to do the things I wanted to...mostly out of embarassment :blush: I HATED shopping in stores for OBESE people. I also worried about my future (like I would have much of one at that weight!)
A friend told me about MWL and I decided to try it...I knew it was a last resort for me I started MWL...lost 9.8lbs the first week!!! And was totally thrilled!!!! I finally found my answer,my magic bullet, and the support and teaching that I needed to lose weight and maintain that loss!!!!
As I dropped pounds and sizes,people began to notice-I liked that!!!!!
As I continued to lose,people noticed-again I liked that!!!!
As I approached my goal weight,people noticed....and told me I was getting too skinny
Now that I'm still "too skinny", people notice....that I haven't gained any back ...well...maybe 5lbs BUT that's because I didn't like seeing my top ribs and seeing the bones in my arms and I kept hitting hip bones on everything (OUCH!!!)
I realize that gravity is a horrible thing I have enough skin to make that woman coat for the sicko (from Silence of The Lambs) !!!
I have "Bat Wings" and I will NEVER look good in a bathing suit!!!
BUT I do have my health now...awesome cholesterol levels,great blood pressure, and more stamina than I ever had!!!!
I get looks from men that haven't seen in a long time My husband loves it because he knows that I look better (as long as I have clothes on )
I let the guilt go about having too many carbs in 1 day because I know that I'll eat better then next day!!
I let the frustration go about losing more...I just go to the gym and tone what I got!!!
I get ambivalent about keeping the weight off BUT then I remember how hard I worked to get where I am!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to have to go back to MWL having regained my weight (or any part of that weight that is gone)
I don't want to waste the $$$ I spent to get my life back!

I know this is long-winded BUT I just wanted y'all to know what I've been through and what I've learned about myself through this journey!

I'm a much more confident person, I smile more, and I LOVE who I am now!!!

Please allow yourselves to do the same You'll be a whole lot happier with your accomplishments!!!!

cindy

Last edited by dodgern; 09-24-2010 at 12:57 PM..
dodgern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #668
Senior LCF Member

Beautifully said, Cindy! I hope I am in your shoes in nine months when I've kept the weight off for one year. I am more accepting of my body even though I still have muffin top in loose underwear (ah, the scars of pregnancies).

Hugs!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #669
Major LCF Poster!

Cindy - You wrote: " I don't want to waste the $$$ I spent to get my life back!"
Over the years my husband has allowed me to spend $ to try to be happy with my body, in moderation of course. I've done Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, other national plans, gyms, bought lots of exercise DVDs (most are still in the wrapping), used exercise equipment, books and so on. This is the plan that has worked for me, it is evidence-based and has taught me so much!! It's not a fad, it's not about having a business for them, it's about teaching healthy choices to women and men who really want to deal with the truth about their past and changing eating choices and its consequences and then caring enough about their clients to guide them as they go through the emotional withdrawal from food addiction. Having posted photos of my MWL physician "before" and "after" her own transformation encouraged me to know she'd understand my stages of body image adjustments!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #670
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
Cindy - You wrote: " I don't want to waste the $$$ I spent to get my life back!"
Over the years my husband has allowed me to spend $ to try to be happy with my body, in moderation of course. I've done Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, other national plans, gyms, bought lots of exercise DVDs (most are still in the wrapping), used exercise equipment, books and so on. This is the plan that has worked for me, it is evidence-based and has taught me so much!! It's not a fad, it's not about having a business for them, it's about teaching healthy choices to women and men who really want to deal with the truth about their past and changing eating choices and its consequences and then caring enough about their clients to guide them as they go through the emotional withdrawal from food addiction. Having posted photos of my MWL physician "before" and "after" her own transformation encouraged me to know she'd understand my stages of body image adjustments!
Exactly my point!!!!!!

cindy
Old 09-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #671
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Cindy and Debbie, I second all that you both said. I should just learn it by heart and use as my mantra and oh boy I need it sometimes, like today - don't know why but had constant craving for something and ended eating more than I should have but I am not giving up the diet like I used to. Tomorrow will be a better day, I have my spin class in the morning and I am sure I will be doing great. Thank you for your wonderful words - they get deep inside and strike the cord with me.

"Nothing tastes better than thin feels"
-------------------
Was in wellness!
Restart on 04/05/11 to lose 15 gained lb
253/148/140
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:11 AM   #672
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tydreamer
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 2/10/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene4 View Post
I notice it in the tummy and arms too...it's pretty much all over. I am definitely drinking enough water....actually, probably better about my water consumption now than in acute because I am paranoid about not getting enough. Sigh...I know there's a good deal of muscle under there and I WANT TO SEE IT. I miss everyone else too!! We need the advice of other people who were a little ahead of us.
I feel like a puppy crawling back with my tail between my legs. I can't give you any advice because I'm still struggling. I'm up about four pounds right now. I've been up and down in both fat and pounds and am still hovering around my goal. However, my eating habits are shifting and I'm giving myself permission to eat more junk than I would like. I had a birthday earlier this month and ate a piece of cake. After that, the extra scoop of this or handful of that were a whole lot easier to rationalize. Along with this came the increased cravings and then it got really HARD to walk away from some of my faves. I've kept up with my daily exercising, but I think it's time to add minutes and intensity for a while. AND, I'm going to try REALLY hard to go back to week one for a few days. Easier said than done. But I refuse to gain this weight back. I simply refuse.

Erin and Debbie - I've missed you, but have been too scared to even read posts the last few weeks. I realize now that I was just being a coward and didn't want to have to say outloud that I'm struggling. But this information wouldn't be new to the two of you. I've said it before. And I'm sure I'll say it again. This is a lifelong issue for me. Sometimes I just hate the fact that it's so...daily.

I'm so proud of you guys!!!
Debbie, good luck with the race. I'll be thinking of you!!!

Last edited by tydreamer; 09-25-2010 at 05:23 AM..
tydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #673
Major LCF Poster!

Lea !!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! So good to hear from you! Had my weigh in the other day and told 'em I did not feel ready to be finished with transition....not feeling commited to staying in control. I was up4 lbs but it was all water. I did it....I jogged the entire 5K without stopping. I could not have had done it without DD &my three friends from church were there hanging out with me! Got a call from Jerome but didn't run into him at the race. There were over 10,000 people there! I wished you could have been there! How are you feeling? Maybe next year! I'm planning to do another 5K 10/10/10.
Lea - give me a call and I pledge to do a week of week 1 again with you. It's been such a struggle with these allergies and adding in carbs without my usual fix of carbmasters yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, protein shakes, etc due to allergist restriction. But I can get back into week 1 without those. I need to choose foods that have a low glycemic reaction and are healthier for me nutrition-wise.

Last edited by Fit2010; 09-25-2010 at 09:22 PM..
Old 09-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #674
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sally1
Stats: 254/207/175
WOE: medi
Start Date: June 2
Cindy!

Great post. I will print it and hang it in my office. Thank you!

Sue
sally1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #675
Senior LCF Member

Doctor told me no exercising for 4 days while I get over sinus infection. Ack!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #676
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1 View Post
Cindy!

Great post. I will print it and hang it in my office. Thank you!

Sue
Thanks so much Sue...it took a lot to write this down but it states my true feelings

Keep on losing and.....maintaining all

cindy
Old 09-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #677
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
Struggling a bit here too. I've felt so *big* lately! I'm eating more carbs for sure. Ever since my big fluctuation - loss then of course a gain as quick as I lost. I'll do well for a couple of days and then a day will come to where it's as if I'd never even heard of medi before. I ate like the old, frumpy, fat Erin yesterday and today isn't all that wonderful either. My weight is still the same but I just feel so much bigger. Puffier. And cravings are out of control. I'm not exercising so I know that's part of it. *sigh* Is it truly possible to keep it off forever? I grow so weary with this struggle day in and day out.

I clearly don't know what I'm doing. I'm so glad I'm going tomorrow to my appointment. I really really need the support and advice.

P.S. Cindy, you are awesome. And Debbie and Lea - miss you girls too! Charlene, you look fabulous in your new picture!

In Wellness as of 6/4/2010!
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #678
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
By the way - Cindy, these things are the best:

"I let the guilt go about having too many carbs in 1 day because I know that I'll eat better then next day!!"

"I let the frustration go about losing more...I just go to the gym and tone what I got!!!"

This is part of the mind thing I'm having issues with. Perfection over the # of calories/carbs but also with continuously trying to lose more and letting it be good enough. Many days I'm fine and laid back but then there are the days... like yesterday and today... where I wonder if I will ever be successful.

Thank you for inspiring all of us! It's exactly what I needed right now.
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #679
Senior LCF Member

Erin...

Thanks so much

I've had a lifetime of weight issues and, some how, have learned to be happy with "ME". Now I'm 44 yrs old...maybe age allows us to be more forgiving

I've accepted that I'll never have the "super model" body...I was genetically defunct in that area

I'm happy to maintain what I've got...I know that I look awesome in clothes BUt I'll NEVER look good nekked

I told my hubby that when I'm 60 I'm gonna have the plastic surgery....I'll have a 20 yo old body with a 60 yr old face

As long as my hubby is happy with me. I'll be happy with me Lord knows I love him so much and I'm very grateful that he's happy with me no matter what!!! Our vows should have read in thickness and thin-ness

I'm also very lucky that I have a whole bunch of people observing me and watching to see if I regain the weight I've lost

I've been overweight,thin,then overweight, and NOW thin again

I hope I can maintain this...I'm no saint and I know that my evil self is there....eat all the bad stuff...no don't...yep, go for it...nobody's watching!!!

I'm not kidding!!!! This does happen!!!!!!!!

My best bet.....don't have the crap here to eat Honestly, I could give in in a heart beat BUT I WILL NOT ALLOW myself to do that!!!!! I've worked too hard to be here!!!!!!!! For the 2nd time

Keep your goals in mind. Remember how much you paid to get here. Remeber WHY you did this!!!!! Keep your resolve!!!!!!!!

There are times I hate my addictive personality
But I think we all have demons...ours is emotions and food

cindy

Last edited by dodgern; 09-30-2010 at 05:39 PM..
Old 09-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #680
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
WTG Cindy!
I have learned to be happy with what I see in the mirror every morning because I know how hard I have worked to achieve it.

I am back to where I was when I moved to PHX 16 years ago, and there no power on earth strong enough to get me to give up what I have worked so hard for these past two years.

Like Cindy, I do not keep anything in the house that I cannot really afford to eat. Out of sight is truly out of mind. I do not crave candy or sweets. I do not crave desserts. So in that regard I consider myself fortunate. I have never cared for those things. I am far more passionate about fruits/berries and really good lettuces. I have always enjoyed good bread, but if I should want bread, I buy an individual baguette and split it in half. Two days and two servings. And I will not want bread again for quite a while.

I give myself permission to have a good potato salad now and then. That means 1/2 cup serving. And I love my Carbmaster yogurt and my Yoplait Fiber 1 yogurt as well.

I have been away from red meats for at least 20 years, and choose instead turkey, chicken, and fish. Not wild about eggs either but will eat one every once in a while. Vitalicious makes some good products that are okay and healthy too. So I will have one of those every now and then.

It truly is a matter of choice. Choosing to eat the healthy things, choosing to do the daily exercise, choosing to be happy that I have reached my goal and maintained it now for over a year. Choosing to be happy with the loss of 112 pounds. I have been told that I do not look my age, and when people "guess" they are off by about 15years. That suits me just fine,

And through it all, I continue to say "Do or do not, there is no try". And now I have a new one to say each day as well. "Bloom where you are planted".

Jo
Old 10-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #681
Major LCF Poster!

Erin! I love when you check in with us, you're one of our soul sisters that we struggled through the emotional eating with....don't give in to the dark side!! Just this week DH has wanted us to add red wine to our daily diets....I have been having about 4 to 6 oz of a sweet red wine every evening; he ends up prefering cab instead but that's ok with me as I prefer the sweet wines. I stopped by and asked at clinic and they said if drinking a glass have it substitute either a fruit allotment or a whole grain allotment. Has anyone else heard this? I didn't know that previously. In my weigh in last week, when I felt "so fat and puffy" like you described I'd still lost a tad bit of fat but was UP 4 lbs in water and the solution was to drink more water. So, are you drinking enough water? Check in with us frequently....we're not judging, we just all need each other Girlfriend!

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-01-2010 at 04:42 PM..
Old 10-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #682
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nick80
Stats: 6ft 249/175/180
WOE: Mediweight- maintenance
Start Date: October 1, 2009
Hello to all.

I apologize for being away for so long. I have noticed some of the comments here about the struggles in maintenance. I am by no means guilt free but have managed to find a balance with food and exercise. I think we tend to forget that this will be a life of choices. The key is to decide what we want. We are all here because we have food issues. We must realize that for us it will likely be a life long battle. Case in point for me, I had one piece of cake when I thought I was in control. Needless to say I ended up having (now hold onto your chairs) and this was fater a big lunch - two slices of pecan pie, one slice of cheesecake, one slice of tiramisu, one brownie and one slice of apple pie. I am blushing at the thought of it all as I am only realizing now as I write this how much that was. This was in one sitting and did not seem to be a lot at the time. Moral of the story is we do fail. No point in beating ourselves up about it but to remain vigilant.

What am I doing to rectify the situation? I am certainly not going to be demoralized and give into my inner demons. I am watching what I eat, exercise, maintain a positive attitude and to make sure that I do not view the exercise and healthy eating as a form of punishment. Will I slip up again? I am sure of it but hopefully not to the above degree. I like who I have become, how energetic I feel and how positive life can look when one feels this way.

so to all, lets not lose hope or beat ourselves up. Accept who you are and work with it to the best of your ability!
Nick80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #683
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick80 View Post
Hello to all.

I apologize for being away for so long. I have noticed some of the comments here about the struggles in maintenance. I am by no means guilt free but have managed to find a balance with food and exercise. I think we tend to forget that this will be a life of choices. The key is to decide what we want. We are all here because we have food issues. We must realize that for us it will likely be a life long battle. Case in point for me, I had one piece of cake when I thought I was in control. Needless to say I ended up having (now hold onto your chairs) and this was fater a big lunch - two slices of pecan pie, one slice of cheesecake, one slice of tiramisu, one brownie and one slice of apple pie. I am blushing at the thought of it all as I am only realizing now as I write this how much that was. This was in one sitting and did not seem to be a lot at the time. Moral of the story is we do fail. No point in beating ourselves up about it but to remain vigilant.

What am I doing to rectify the situation? I am certainly not going to be demoralized and give into my inner demons. I am watching what I eat, exercise, maintain a positive attitude and to make sure that I do not view the exercise and healthy eating as a form of punishment. Will I slip up again? I am sure of it but hopefully not to the above degree. I like who I have become, how energetic I feel and how positive life can look when one feels this way.

so to all, lets not lose hope or beat ourselves up. Accept who you are and work with it to the best of your ability!
Thank you, Nick for your encouragement! Such posts from successful maintainers are really needed for those who are about to embark into transition and wellness or already there. I am one such person - in transition starting this week after losing 113lb. Looking forward to more posts. Thanks again!
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #684
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hello to all.
I am certainly not going to be demoralized and give into my inner demons. I am watching what I eat, exercise, maintain a positive attitude and to make sure that I do not view the exercise and healthy eating as a form of punishment. Will I slip up again? I am sure of it but hopefully not to the above degree. I like who I have become, how energetic I feel and how positive life can look when one feels this way.

Very good points Nick! I like that you wrote 'I do not view the exercise and healthy eating as a form of punishment....GOOD POINT!

And for some of us sweets are just such a terrible temptation.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #685
Senior LCF Member

Good Monday morning to all

It is so nice to hear everyone's thoughts and inner demons posted here. I must say I am still sooooooooooo embarrased by mine from last week. However, I have found it to be cleansing and at the same time I hope it helps others to realize we are all human and that we must continue on our maintenance even though we do trip. It is so refreshing to belong to a group that immediately rallies behind their fellows here and help them pick themselves up. Again my thanks to all!

I cheerfully went for my run today, continuing with my exercise program and eating correctly. I cannot undo last week and I will not use it to sabotage myself. Hopefully, by letting others in our group know both our successes and failures, we can all become better at keeping ourselves healthy.

I wish everyone a healthy, happy and fantastic week! You are all stars!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #686
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Good Monday morning to all

It is so nice to hear everyone's thoughts and inner demons posted here. I must say I am still sooooooooooo embarrased by mine from last week. However, I have found it to be cleansing and at the same time I hope it helps others to realize we are all human and that we must continue on our maintenance even though we do trip. It is so refreshing to belong to a group that immediately rallies behind their fellows here and help them pick themselves up. Again my thanks to all!

I cheerfully went for my run today, continuing with my exercise program and eating correctly. I cannot undo last week and I will not use it to sabotage myself. Hopefully, by letting others in our group know both our successes and failures, we can all become better at keeping ourselves healthy.

I wish everyone a healthy, happy and fantastic week! You are all stars!!!
Nick,

So glad to hear from you. I haven't posted in a while either because I was out of town at a wedding, then got terribly sick. I got a virus (really bad head cold) that has now gone into my gums and they are so swollen and sore. I went to the dentist today and he sent me for an emergency appointment with an oral surgeon who just said that it will have to run its course. In the mean time he gave me a rinse to use. Then when that finally heals I have to have a root canal and crown, due to an absess in the same spot. Fun, fun!

Now back to you... :blush:

I love your attitude about not letting one set back turn into a problem. Forgiveness is key. One indulgence will not cause you to gain all the weight back, what will is letting the indulgence snowball into a weekend, a week, a month, and back to your old eating patterns.

Now that I am in maintenance, I plan one indulgent meal each week, and that would be Sunday brunch. This past Sunday I had a patty melt and fries, (something I haven't eaten in years). I eat carefully the rest of the day and the rest of the week and feel absolutely no guilt. I don't overeat during that meal and stop when I am full as I know there will be another Sunday brunch opportunity in a week. This works very well for me.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #687
Senior LCF Member

Susie, thank you for your kind words. You will always be a true inspiration for me!!

It certainly takes a while to understand the term "forgiveness" which is all important in preventing a snowball effect. Although, I have finally realized I have not learnt "control" when I am faced with a smorgasbord of yummy, tasty desserts, I have learnt forgiveness. This means I was able to extricate myself from the cycle of punishing myself by continuing to eat without control. So to all I say who are frustrated, we need to be able to love ourselves, forgive ourselves, and continue taking the positive steps we have been taking. Thanks to people like all of you in this room, I remain inspired and am actually beginning to love myself. The more I think about the more I see the relationship between food and at least for myself, an abusive relationship where I am the abuser and the victim. One way to stop is to realize that it is up to us to stop it. I will not view food as a source of pleasure, escape or punishment. I will enjoy food/sweets only for the taste and not for psychological reasons.

Hope this rambling made some sense .
Old 10-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #688
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
... Thanks to people like all of you in this room, I remain inspired and am actually beginning to love myself. The more I think about the more I see the relationship between food and at least for myself, an abusive relationship where I am the abuser and the victim. One way to stop is to realize that it is up to us to stop it. I will not view food as a source of pleasure, escape or punishment. I will enjoy food/sweets only for the taste and not for psychological reasons.

Nick,
This is well said! I actually went to talk to a counselor while going through MWL process this summer because of my messed up view of reward/punishment and had the same thoughts you described as being in "an abusive relationship where I am the abuser and the victim." But now I KNOW how "healthy" feels, and I don't want to feel the yuckiness again...and for me the yuckiness came with consequences such as insulin resistance and food allergies! I cannot justify being indulgent insistently again....the family history I have will make me into a diabetic in no time, and as a nurse that's just a foolish choice to be that selfish to satisfy a sweet urge now. The consequences could eventually make me disabled in the long-run. Not a road I want to travel down personally, or put my husband and daughters in position for to have to take care of me...again, selfish indulgence has consequences. I much prefer the healthful feeling I'm having now, and wish I could have felt it the previous 25 years too. Too much time has been wasted, and I'm thankful I was able to undo in time and that my body forgave me! I may need to read this post over and over again. I know I'm not well into maintenance by any means, have so much to face ahead, and I know MWL works. Whew! What a blessing!! Like you I'm also so very thankful for this forum to be able to express real temptations, real feelings, and real friendships!
We can do this

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-12-2010 at 01:22 PM..
Old 10-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #689
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Susie, thank you for your kind words. You will always be a true inspiration for me!!

It certainly takes a while to understand the term "forgiveness" which is all important in preventing a snowball effect. Although, I have finally realized I have not learnt "control" when I am faced with a smorgasbord of yummy, tasty desserts, I have learnt forgiveness. This means I was able to extricate myself from the cycle of punishing myself by continuing to eat without control. So to all I say who are frustrated, we need to be able to love ourselves, forgive ourselves, and continue taking the positive steps we have been taking. Thanks to people like all of you in this room, I remain inspired and am actually beginning to love myself. The more I think about the more I see the relationship between food and at least for myself, an abusive relationship where I am the abuser and the victim. One way to stop is to realize that it is up to us to stop it. I will not view food as a source of pleasure, escape or punishment. I will enjoy food/sweets only for the taste and not for psychological reasons.

Nick, you made perfect sense and you are so right about breaking the association between food and feelings. Most thin people eat to nourish their bodies, not their emotions. Overweight people tend to use food to fill voids in their life. For me food was my way of being kind to myself (although it was not being kind to myself in the long run) while in the midst of servicing everyone else... that is my family.
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #690
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CCCOX
Stats: 195-135-135
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 1/5/10
Just wanted to say hello--and stop by! I am still around .5-2.5 pounds off my initial goal weight-but I am ok with that! I still think this is the BEST decision I have ever made!!
CCCOX is offline   Reply With Quote