Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 04:16 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: celiamac
Stats: maintenance-high 130's:redlight 142
WOE: medi-weightloss
Start Date: 6/2/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Susie,

Of course it makes sense. When you are comfortable you will make the appointments when you feel necessary if at all. Do you have a scale at home?

If so compare the difference between the scale at home and the scale at the clinic and you will know what you need to make an appropriate comparison on your weight.

WW is also a good option but make sure you weigh-in during the same time period as your medi weigh-in so you have an accurate comparison with their scale. There is nothing worse than different scales reading 5-6 pounds different in the same day. If you know they are different you can wrap your head around the differences.

I am not going anywhere. I am here to share any experiences that I can.

McBoo
Susie: I agree totally with Mcboo. Do what works for you. I intended to make periodic visits to the clinic but since I was keeping it off chose to spend the money on new skinny clothes instead. I have a good tanita home scale (under 100 dollars) which keeps me in line. If I start creeping up I know the clinic is there to get me back on track.
celiamac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2009, 05:57 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKI21 View Post
New product for our phase - Arnold Sandwich Thins
8 pk at Publix is $2.99 ; whole grains and no hydro oils! each "bun" is 100 cal great net carbs and protein. My new fav snake is half a "bun" toasted with PB2
I discovered these Memorial Day weekend at a friends beach house. They are great. Had a hamburger on a "bun" for the first time in a year this week. I plan to try making little pizzas with them too, like you can do with the flatbreads. kThe PB is a great idea, especially for breakfast. This is why we need to keep this mainenance thread active. Maintenance folks need to share tips too.

My snack tip of the day - hummus is my new best friend. Preferably doctored with ff feta and olives. Less calories and healthier than cheese. I tend to get a little out of control on the wheat crackers or pitas but recently read a tip to use sliced cucumbers with the hummus.

Susie, you will be here by the end of the month as will Kathy, I'm sure. We need to start a medi maintenance recipe thread.

Celia
Old 06-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NIKKI21
Stats: 181.4/134.8 Now on Maintenance :0)
WOE: MEDI WEIGHTLOSS CLINICS
Start Date: 12/04/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by celiamac View Post
I discovered these Memorial Day weekend at a friends beach house. They are great. Had a hamburger on a "bun" for the first time in a year this week. I plan to try making little pizzas with them too, like you can do with the flatbreads. kThe PB is a great idea, especially for breakfast. This is why we need to keep this mainenance thread active. Maintenance folks need to share tips too.

My snack tip of the day - hummus is my new best friend. Preferably doctored with ff feta and olives. Less calories and healthier than cheese. I tend to get a little out of control on the wheat crackers or pitas but recently read a tip to use sliced cucumbers with the hummus.

Susie, you will be here by the end of the month as will Kathy, I'm sure. We need to start a medi maintenance recipe thread.

Celia
Pizza works - did a pizza half the other day - I'll write up the recipe and post it on the new thread tonight!

Hummus - I know you know this but read the label - I have been getting a "local" Florida brand from Whole Foods lately with NO added oil, just Thahin and chickpeas!
NIKKI21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NIKKI21
Stats: 181.4/134.8 Now on Maintenance :0)
WOE: MEDI WEIGHTLOSS CLINICS
Start Date: 12/04/08
OK - I forgot about posting the Pizza recipe the other night - please forgive.

I had a minor set back - week 3 of maintenance and gained 2 lbs! AGH!
NIKKI21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: McBoo
Stats: 216/140/140 Now on Maintainance
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinics
Start Date: June 17, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKI21 View Post
OK - I forgot about posting the Pizza recipe the other night - please forgive.

I had a minor set back - week 3 of maintenance and gained 2 lbs! AGH!
Nikki,

It happens the beginning of maintainance is learning how the newly introduced food react to your system. You will get it down. It just takes time. Don't beat yourself up over it.

McBoo
McBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fabulous@50
Stats: 182/140/140
WOE: Medi
Start Date: March 2009
I START SHORT-TERM MAINTENANCE TOMORROW!!

I so excited and EXTREMELY nervous. I officially join you guys tomorrow!!

I enter Stage II - Short-Term Maintenance tomorrow - Friday, June 19, 2009 -- I lost over 36 pounds in 3 months + 6 days from when I first joined.

I'm 5' 6.5" tall, 50 years old:

I started on March 13th at size 14/16 - 182 pounds, 40.6% fat mass, 28.9 BMI

Today, I am size 8 - weigh 146 pounds, 26.2% fat mass, 23.2 BMI.

What is absolutely astounding to me is that I have lost OVER 32 pounds of FAT -- I know ketosis turns you into a fat burning machine, but my doctor told me I was most successful because of my workout routine -- (weight training and elliptical trainer).

I'm 6 pounds away from my initial goal of 140 - but after discussing with my husband and my doctor, we all agree that where I am now seems perfect for me -- especially considering I'm 50 and now look 30. I also know that I'll still lose a few pounds as I transition.

I'll post Before and After photos in a week or so. I'm waiting to get the ones taken by the clinic.

For those of you who have just started the program, the first week is torture. I thought I was going to pass out on Day 3. After that first week, Medi became a way of life for me. This has been a complete and total lifestyle change. The very thought of going back to who I used to be makes me sick to my stomach.

Make a commitment to change your way of thinking as you do this program. Start listening to your body - instead of those "cravings." There is a BIG difference between your body's needs and your "wants."

For those of you who hate exercising, just start out slow. Take a 15 minute walk 5-6 days a week. Slowly increase your time. Start doing simple stretches. Do a few curls with a gallon of milk every other day. Just start moving. You will be amazed at how your attitude will adjust and you will truly learn to love ACTIVITY.

I'm so very, very, very thankful for finding this program.

THANK YOU CELIA!!!!!

- Kathy
Fabulous@50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:15 AM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Kathy,

to maintainance. You have done so well in the acute phase and I know you will be just as successful in maintainance. It is a little scary at first when you start to add back in some carbs and increase your calories. Follow the materials as directed and you will be fine. Phase 2 is a transition phase and you will learn to understand the glycemic index/load and how to make the best choices.

We are here to help.

Congratulations on starting maintainance.

McBoo
Old 06-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crobyninc
Stats: 335/243/180
WOE: Low carb and watching calories
Start Date: March 9 2009
Nice job Kathy! It must feel outstanding!

Robyn
crobyninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Now that we really have a goup I thought it was time to add a picture. Also changed my stats as I have been weighing in at around 138 for about a month so it looks like I've dropped some more. I decided that 140 will be my yellow light weight, when I start being more careful and 142 will be my red light weight when I go back to the acute phase for a few days. Celia
Old 06-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
I made it!!!

I am so excited to officially be a member of this maintaince thread!!!! My clinic was so excited to put my file in the "after" cabinet. They were showing my before and after pics all over the clinic and they were so happy for me.

I uploaded the before and after pictures they took at the clinic. (Thanks to however gave the tip about the after picture). My profile picture is a side before and after picture. You can click on my avatar to view it.

They had me breath through some device for 10 minutes to determine my resting metabolic rate. Mine was 2010 kcal/day!!! I actually have a fast metabolism now due to the exercise and weight lifting. I told the doctor I didn't feel comfortable eating that many calories and could we start at 1500. She said that was fine, but I would probably lose a few pounds which was fine with me.

Well I'm off to my GP and I am feeling great. Thanks for all your concerns.

Susie

Last edited by SDC2; 06-22-2009 at 09:42 AM..
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
I am so excited to officially be a member of this maintaince thread!!!! My clinic was so excited to put my file in the "after" cabinet. They were showing my before and after pics all over the clinic and they were so happy for me.

I uploaded the before and after pictures they took at the clinic. (Thanks to however gave the tip about the after picture). My profile picture is a side before and after picture. You can click on my avatar to view it.

They had me breath through some device for 10 minutes to determine my resting metabolic rate. Mine was 2010 kcal/day!!! I actually have a fast metabolism now due to the exercise and weight lifting. I told the doctor I didn't feel comfortable eating that many calories and could we start at 1500. She said that was fine, but I would probably lose a few pounds which was fine with me.

Susie

Great job Susie.

to maintainance

McBoo
Old 06-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hudiman
Stats: 5'2" /155/ now at goal 125
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinc
Start Date: April 23, 2009
Quote:

Susie

Great before and after pictures. Congratulations on making maintenance! I'm so happy that your illness didn't screw up your weigh-in.
hudiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

Susie

Welcome Susie! I knew you would be here by the end of the month. Congratulations and I'm so glad to have you on this thread! Interesting about the calories. I never had that test but I would guess that I eat 1800-2000 most days but I also burn 300-700 in exercise most days so I guess it works out. Again, I am so glad to have you here. Celia
Old 06-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Welcome Susie! I knew you would be here by the end of the month. Congratulations and I'm so glad to have you on this thread! Interesting about the calories. I never had that test but I would guess that I eat 1800-2000 most days but I also burn 300-700 in exercise most days so I guess it works out. Again, I am so glad to have you here. Celia
Celia,

It is so great to see such a beautiful picture of you. You have been a great inspiration and cheerleader. I can't tell you how wonderful I feel achieving this goal that was for so long unreachable, but I know you know exactly what I am talking about. You probably have no idea at how inspirational it was seeing people who had done it and were on the other side. Now I'm there too!! Please pinch me so I know that it is real.

God Bless,
Susie
Old 06-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crobyninc
Stats: 335/243/180
WOE: Low carb and watching calories
Start Date: March 9 2009
Susie - pinch, pinch lol!
crobyninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Celia,

It is so great to see such a beautiful picture of you. You have been a great inspiration and cheerleader. I can't tell you how wonderful I feel achieving this goal that was for so long unreachable, but I know you know exactly what I am talking about. You probably have no idea at how inspirational it was seeing people who had done it and were on the other side. Now I'm there too!! Please pinch me so I know that it is real.

God Bless,
Susie
I've had it off for months now and I am still shocked sometimes when I see myself in a mirror or a window, or even my shadow when I'm jogging. I don't know when it sinks in. I don't know about you and Mcboo but I have fought weight most of my life except for high school through grad school, so I have had many more years with a large profile than a small one. Any way, pinch yourself again because you have done it! Celia
Old 06-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Celia,

I used to be able to buy my clothes in the boys department until I was in my mid 20's slims actually. Then yoyo for years after that. I have been keeping it off for months now and I couldn't be happier. I like your yellow/red light idea. I do the same thing just never thought about it in that context.

McBoo
Old 06-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Celia,

God Bless,
Susie
Susie,

I've been way too busy to post anything for the past several days but wanted to take a minute and tell you how AWESOME you look!

You are truly an inspiration also.

Celia looks absolutely FABULOUS in "real life." Her photo doesn't do her justice.

- Kathy
Old 06-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I've had it off for months now and I am still shocked sometimes when I see myself in a mirror or a window, or even my shadow when I'm jogging. I don't know when it sinks in. I don't know about you and Mcboo but I have fought weight most of my life except for high school through grad school, so I have had many more years with a large profile than a small one. Any way, pinch yourself again because you have done it! Celia
Celia,

As we discussed the other day, it feels really WEIRD to go shopping and look for the smaller size. I'm in a size 6 now and it truly is hard for me to believe. I keep thinking someone is going to walk by and tell me that I'm in the wrong department and the "women's" clothing is over in the corner!

I have never worn a size 6 in my entire adult life. The only 6 I have ever worn was 6x in first grade!! Even in my smaller days as an adult, I never got below a size 10.

Older guys at the Y where I work out have now started calling me "Slim." At 4:30 a.m. each morning, I have one of the them walk by and say, "Good Morning, Slim!" It's quite flattering!

I don't know how long it will take me to adjust mentally to this new body. I just know I'm so thankful I am where I am and I'm amazed at how AWESOME I feel.

I realized the other day, that I haven't felt "bloated" since I started this program back in March. That's an incredible feeling - especially for those of us who are females!!

- Kathy
Old 06-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Celia and McBoo,

My doctor went over some menus with me which say you can have 2 servings of carbs per day, but she said to try not to do that and only have carbs occassionally so as to keep the cravings at bay and stay in a mild ketosis, fat burning state. She encouraged me to increase my calories mostly with protein and veggies. She wants me to keep my carbs below 100 (which seems like alot if I am mainly eating protein and veggies).

What are you guys doing? How many carbs do you eat in a day? How many calories are you eating?

I've been watching your weights over these past few months and they hardly seem to fluctuate, so you must have figured out what your body needs to maintain. I so appreciate the help.

Susie
Old 06-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulous@50 View Post
Susie,

I've been way too busy to post anything for the past several days but wanted to take a minute and tell you how AWESOME you look!

You are truly an inspiration also.

Celia looks absolutely FABULOUS in "real life." Her photo doesn't do her justice.

- Kathy
Kathy,

Thanks for the compliment. I'm sure if I ever saw a picture of you (hint, hint) that I would say the same. It is good to have company. Please pass on any hints that you have. I workout at a Y too and the attention is fun, but overwhelming at times.

Susie
Old 06-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Celia and McBoo,

My doctor went over some menus with me which say you can have 2 servings of carbs per day, but she said to try not to do that and only have carbs occassionally so as to keep the cravings at bay and stay in a mild ketosis, fat burning state. She encouraged me to increase my calories mostly with protein and veggies. She wants me to keep my carbs below 100 (which seems like alot if I am mainly eating protein and veggies).

What are you guys doing? How many carbs do you eat in a day? How many calories are you eating?

I've been watching your weights over these past few months and they hardly seem to fluctuate, so you must have figured out what your body needs to maintain. I so appreciate the help.

Susie
Susie,

I eat between 1500 and 1800 cals a day. As you know I am a workout fanatic just like you. Start out with the low glycemic carbs. A small amount of brown rice. If you like cereal Kashi Go Lean (not the crunch) is great with unsweetened vanilla almond breeze and the sweetner of you choice. Flatout flatbread is a great choice for a breadlike product or Arnold sandwich thins are also very good especially if you want a real hamburger.

Take it slow and see how your body reacts. You will figure out thru trial and error what works best for you.

As I am sure celia will tell you it is very scary at first when you first start to add some carbs back in. You will instinctually stay on the low side, as you become more familar with how your body reacts they will increase slightly.

Hope this helps for starters. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

McBoo

Before and after Pics
http://www.slide.com/profile?puid=UY...S8QcfBRFZvgCG0

"Born right the first time"
"BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER"
"CANCER SUCKS"
Old 06-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Susie,

I eat between 1500 and 1800 cals a day. As you know I am a workout fanatic just like you. Start out with the low glycemic carbs. A small amount of brown rice. If you like cereal Kashi Go Lean (not the crunch) is great with unsweetened vanilla almond breeze and the sweetner of you choice. Flatout flatbread is a great choice for a breadlike product or Arnold sandwich thins are also very good especially if you want a real hamburger.

Take it slow and see how your body reacts. You will figure out thru trial and error what works best for you.

As I am sure celia will tell you it is very scary at first when you first start to add some carbs back in. You will instinctually stay on the low side, as you become more familar with how your body reacts they will increase slightly.

Hope this helps for starters. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

McBoo
McBoo,

Thanks so much for the quick response and great info. Which carbs are the low glycemic carbs? Is there a good website that separates these out? I didn't see a list in my clinic materials, but I may have missed it. I am the most nervous I have been since the first few week on the program. So far I am just doing the acute phase with added protein. I don't want to blow it.

Susie
Old 06-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Susie,

Here is a site that should help.
Glycemic Values of Common American Foods

McBoo
Old 06-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Susie,

Here is a site that should help.
Glycemic Values of Common American Foods

McBoo
Thanks McBoo. I printed out the list.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:47 AM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Celia and McBoo,

Susie
Susie: Sorry for the delay responding. I had a tough week - my mom broke her hip Tues. nite and I've spent the last few days juggling hospital, work and family. I am feeling the challenge of not turning to fattening comfort food with this stress and have done pretty well, except for the margeritas last nite but I think I needed them.

I started maintenance by adding 1 starchy carb a day - whole wheat or multigrain bread, pasta ,crackers etc. Also brown rice, sweet potatoes and beans, like black beans or red beans. As you know I continued losing so I felt I could go up to 2 and now try to limit to 2 or 3 a day. Southbeach diet publishes a pocket size Good Fats Good carbs guide which is helpful .

I know you know this but I think the most important thing is to remember that you will never be off this diet. While occasional indulgences (like margeritas) will not put the weight back on the operative word is occasional.
The good news is that when you are comfortable doing so, you can splurge on fried shrimp or a few bites of real dessert or whatever your food vice of choice is once in awhile.

I'm off to 3 hours at the Y to pay for my margeritas (oh, did I mention the queso dip?) Celia
Old 06-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Wow. Went to clinic this morning. I lost 3 pounds this past week on MAINTENANCE! I'm officially down to 143 - only 3 pounds from my original goal of 140. Doctor decided since I was already consuming an average of 1,300 - 1,400 calories (REGULAR EXERCISE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!), he should go ahead and move me into the "Wellness" stage. Guess I'm going to officially have a new lifestyle. I haven't had a chance to spend much time going over the paperwork yet, but at first glance, I'm really pleased with the way Medi has set out the eating plan for the rest of my life.

I DON'T HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE CLINIC FOR ANOTHER MONTH! WOOHOOOOOO! Can start using that $$ for NEW CLOTHES -- I WEAR A SIZE 6 IN PANTS -- HAVEN'T BEEN A SIZE 6 IN MY ENTIRE ADULT LIFE!!

The clinic didn't have my Before/After book ready so I tried to upload and post some of my own photos. System isn't cooperating - so I'll keep messing with it to see if I can get some to load. Any suggestions?

Want you all to see just how different Before/After can be!

- Kathy
Old 06-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hudiman
Stats: 5'2" /155/ now at goal 125
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinc
Start Date: April 23, 2009
Quote:
Wow. Went to clinic this morning. I lost 3 pounds this past week on MAINTENANCE! I'm officially down to 143 - only 3 pounds from my original goal of 140. Doctor decided since I was already consuming an average of 1,300 - 1,400 calories (REGULAR EXERCISE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!), he should go ahead and move me into the "Wellness" stage. Guess I'm going to officially have a new lifestyle. I haven't had a chance to spend much time going over the paperwork yet, but at first glance, I'm really pleased with the way Medi has set out the eating plan for the rest of my life.

I DON'T HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE CLINIC FOR ANOTHER MONTH! WOOHOOOOOO! Can start using that $$ for NEW CLOTHES -- I WEAR A SIZE 6 IN PANTS -- HAVEN'T BEEN A SIZE 6 IN MY ENTIRE ADULT LIFE!!

The clinic didn't have my Before/After book ready so I tried to upload and post some of my own photos. System isn't cooperating - so I'll keep messing with it to see if I can get some to load. Any suggestions?

- Kathy
Congratulations Kathy, you have to be on cloud nine. Great Job!
hudiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #59
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Susie: Sorry for the delay responding. I had a tough week - my mom broke her hip Tues. nite and I've spent the last few days juggling hospital, work and family. I am feeling the challenge of not turning to fattening comfort food with this stress and have done pretty well, except for the margeritas last nite but I think I needed them.

I started maintenance by adding 1 starchy carb a day - whole wheat or multigrain bread, pasta ,crackers etc. Also brown rice, sweet potatoes and beans, like black beans or red beans. As you know I continued losing so I felt I could go up to 2 and now try to limit to 2 or 3 a day. Southbeach diet publishes a pocket size Good Fats Good carbs guide which is helpful .

I know you know this but I think the most important thing is to remember that you will never be off this diet. While occasional indulgences (like margeritas) will not put the weight back on the operative word is occasional.
The good news is that when you are comfortable doing so, you can splurge on fried shrimp or a few bites of real dessert or whatever your food vice of choice is once in awhile.

I'm off to 3 hours at the Y to pay for my margeritas (oh, did I mention the queso dip?) Celia
Celia,

Sorry to hear about your mother's broken hip. I agree about the occassional comment. We can't have it all the time but we can have those things occaissionally because we know how our bodys react to them and we also have the knowledge to adjust our exercise and diet to keep the weight off.

McBoo

Kathy,

Great job. I replied to your post in the main thread before I saw this one.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

- Kathy
Kathy,

Awesome! I wouldn't mind if I dropped a few more pounds, but I was so ready for maintenance, and besides everyone keeps telling me I'm done. I am between an 8 and a 10 depending on the cut, but I am 5' 8". Like you, my husband is happy, so I am happy. Today he told me, for the first time in 25 years, that I had a cute butt!!! Unbelievable, I've always dressed to hide my butt.

Anyway, they put me through too to the final stage. I don't have to go back for a month. I had already weaned myself from the appetite suppresants. I can't wait to see your pictures. We are so at the same place in life. Congrats on being at your best now! There is no looking back.

Susie