Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #511
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txntv
Stats: 5'5" 169.5/131/140
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: March 25, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanna1 View Post
My bodyfat on the Tanita scale is still around 36%! I had a Bod Pod measurement done and was at 23.5%, which seems much more likely. The only thing that I can believe for the huge discrepancy is that I have titanium rods and screws in my back that may affect the Tanita scale. I took girth measurements and plugged them in to an online body fat calculator on the HealthStatus website and my results were comparable to the BodPod, so I am completely ignoring the Tanita!
Tried HealthStatus. Sheesh... "...estimated to be 27.63 % using the U.S. Navy body fat formula, or 39.58 % using the formula developed by the YMCA. "

12% difference between Navy and YMCA? That's odd. If Navy is more accurate, that brings me within the 1-3% of Tanita's 29%.
txntv is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #512
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanna1 View Post
My bodyfat on the Tanita scale is still around 36%! I had a Bod Pod measurement done and was at 23.5%, which seems much more likely. The only thing that I can believe for the huge discrepancy is that I have titanium rods and screws in my back that may affect the Tanita scale. I took girth measurements and plugged them in to an online body fat calculator on the HealthStatus website and my results were comparable to the BodPod, so I am completely ignoring the Tanita!
Where did you do your Bod Pod measurement? I never heard about that beofore. I am thinking that my numbers are wrong too - somebody said that if you are bottom heavy, Tanita scales shows higher %.
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #513
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/162.5/149 5'8" 38 years old
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinic
I had it done at a local hospital's fitness center. It was very quick and supposedly about as accurate as underwater weighing.
suzanna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #514
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
Well today I was down 2 pounds but my fat went up quite a bit! The NP said to watch my fat intake and keep it at around 30g. While in acute, calories are so low that it doesn't matter but now that my calories are up, I need to be careful. I don't know if that's it though because I've looked back and my fat intake does stay at around 30-40g a day. Who knows.

Last edited by eptexy; 06-25-2010 at 12:04 PM..
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #515
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
WOE: Medi
Start Date: May 5, 2009
Erin - your reading is also effected by how hydrated you are...i f your feet are sweaty...or dried out from wearing sandals... all kinds of crazy things.
NOT2fat4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #516
Senior LCF Member

Ah great info, Macauley. I'm trying not to fret too much about the numbers. As long as the scale doesn't show a gain, that is. I was looking over my overall stats and it's weird - I'll be up fat one week, then the next week way down - like double. So I guess the moral is to look at the overall picture. I'm just nervous at this stage.

Ok so the NP said that if I'm burning 500 calories during workouts, I could potentially eat up to 1800 that day. WOW. She did say POTENTIALLY and to be careful though. I'm set at 1600 for today because of my workout and I'm wondering how I'm going to get that amount of healthy food in. It would be easy to order a cheeseburger and call it a day but to stay under 30g of fat and 50g of carbs (my magic number) at that amount takes some planning. It's a little nerve racking getting used to this.

In Wellness as of 6/4/2010!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #517
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Erin -
I'm so thankful you're sharing all your thoughts and trials about all this with us....I just didn't know what to expect otherwise! I'm so glad that Medi teaches us how to use food.
Are you still taking any fat burners or anything like that? Or just vitamins, Omegas, etc.?
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #518
Senior LCF Member

I talked to her today about supplements. I was advised to take the multi and calcium. I could take the omegas if I wanted for my skin/hair/nails. I could also take the fat burner or stay slim if I wanted for an energy boost but it's not necessary. They were super laid back about it. The NP even said she forgets most of the time to take hers. (She's lost 55 lbs). In other words, they're not required for weight maintenance but good for general health.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #519
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
Start Date: 1/12/14
Erin I too am thankful to read all about how you are doing. As of today I am 9.5lbs away from maintenance, so I am learning a lot through you. I am a little nervous about getting there, but I am also readying several books on Emotional eatting, and how to think like a thin person, and I am learning SOOOOO much about myself and my eatting habbits. So I know that when I get there, I will be able to stick with my healthy foods and not run back to the "junk".
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #520
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad my venting is helping! The journey definitely was not done when I reached goal, that's for sure. I still need A LOT of support!

I'm still trying to figure this all out. I'm planning my day for tomorrow that includes the Medi Wellness recommended 2 fruits, 2 vegs, 3 starches, 10 oz lean meats, 2 dairy, and 31g oil. All for 1400 calories since I'm not planning to exercise plus keeping it around 50g carbs. I don't think it's even possible! I'm going to have to cut out one of the starches I think because a single Flat Out wrap, 1/2c Fiber One cereal in my yogurt, plus about a cup of berries puts me way over my 50g.

How many carbs is everyone taking in? She told me 100g or less but to keep it on the lower end of that.

I'm becoming annoying, I know, with the over thinking. Just trying to figure this all out so forgive me during this transition! lol
Old 06-26-2010, 04:31 AM   #521
Senior LCF Member

This is my average over the last month...

Food: 1572kcal(Fat: 73.44g, Protein: 157.37g, Carbs: 64.97g)

I would say that I average 15- 20 grams of fiber a day though, so if you net my carbs, I keep them around 45-50. I don't watch my fat too closely, but I do stick to lowfat cheese and lean protein choices. I have been trying to hit 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight as per my trainer.

I am surprised that I am not losing more weight at the calorie level I am eating at. I have been working out hard, but my weight is stable.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:39 AM   #522
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptexy View Post
I'm glad my venting is helping! The journey definitely was not done when I reached goal, that's for sure. I still need A LOT of support!

I'm still trying to figure this all out. I'm planning my day for tomorrow that includes the Medi Wellness recommended 2 fruits, 2 vegs, 3 starches, 10 oz lean meats, 2 dairy, and 31g oil. All for 1400 calories since I'm not planning to exercise plus keeping it around 50g carbs. I don't think it's even possible! I'm going to have to cut out one of the starches I think because a single Flat Out wrap, 1/2c Fiber One cereal in my yogurt, plus about a cup of berries puts me way over my 50g.

How many carbs is everyone taking in? She told me 100g or less but to keep it on the lower end of that.

I'm becoming annoying, I know, with the over thinking. Just trying to figure this all out so forgive me during this transition! lol
HA! I am the same way! I keep obsessing over my meals because I want to do it right and keep it all balanced while getting me smoothly through the day. I am slowly building up my carb levels. It was 40g the first day, 50 the second. I don't think 50g is possible with all those requirements and it's better to get it up higher as you're further in maintenance/wellness. Better adjust now while you have support than when you're in wellness and not seeing them as often.

The starchy foods is driving me crazy. At the moment, I'm eating Fiber One cereal for breakfast for my starch because it's filling. But I know I should have variety and adjust.
July: -2.5
Beyond: -5
Total loss: 38

Wellness...
Old 06-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #523
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
If I were to go up that high on carbs, I would be in world of hurt. I run at about 35g at the max. I keep the fat grams low, stay away from the yellow cheeses, concentrate on the white ones if I am after cheese. Protein is lean protein at all times with the exception of an occasional salmon fillet. Pasta is Dreamfields. Most everything is sugar free because that is where I lost my way a long time ago.
This is a roller coaster ride, and after almost a year in maintenance/wellness, things are slowly settling in, It may not take all that long for a lot of you,but I had a lot of weight to lose therefore a lot of re-learning to do.

Jo
Old 06-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #524
Major LCF Poster!

Jo's Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
If I were to go up that high on carbs, I would be in world of hurt. I run at about 35g at the max. I keep the fat grams low, stay away from the yellow cheeses, concentrate on the white ones if I am after cheese. Protein is lean protein at all times with the exception of an occasional salmon fillet. Pasta is Dreamfields. Most everything is sugar free because that is where I lost my way a long time ago.
This is a roller coaster ride, and after almost a year in maintenance/wellness, things are slowly settling in, It may not take all that long for a lot of you,but I had a lot of weight to lose therefore a lot of re-learning to do.

Jo
I'm glad to know what has been working for you Jo. How often do you eat Dreamfields pasta? Do you have to order this or can you buy it from regular stores? I see that it's low glycemic, so that will be important. Do you like the taste? Do you eat any rice? Do you cook for anyone else, or just yourself? Do they like it too? When I cook dinner for DH it's tempting to sometimes have a little of the starch to partake in the meal, but it's super portion controlled. Do you think it will ever be that just portion control of what we enjoy and good choices mostly?

Last edited by Fit2010; 06-26-2010 at 05:36 PM..
Old 06-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #525
Major LCF Poster!

~Debbie~
I buy Dreamfield's at my local market - Fry's (Kroger's).They have a great selection, and yes I do like it. I have made various dishes with it and used it for potlucks at work...and no one was the wiser. They ate it up just as fast as the other type of pasta! I have baked sweet potatoes and scooped out the meat and discarded the shell. I do the same now and then with regular potatoes. But I do not have the yen for them like I used to anymore.

I was never a sweets person, so that does not impact me at all, well hardly ever. I found that one of the ice cream companies makes a single serving size, and when I have a sore throat, I will get one of those and have it along with SF jello. Sounds wierd I am sure, but it works for me. I think I have had two in the last year...both during sore throat season.

I cook for myself all the time, but have company over usually once a week, so I do cook for others as well. Rice? Brown rice, in small amounts, as it acts funny with me now...and it used to be my very favorite! White rice - nope. When I cook for others, I cook as I do for myself. And my guests eat it up. So it works for me....and them!

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #526
Senior LCF Member

Jo, curious as to why you eat white cheese over any other? Also, how much fiber are you getting? There are so many health benefits to fiber but I'm not sure how to get it in and keep my carbs low!

While the NP is very laid back and told me I could eat that amount of calories, I'm feeling so heavy after a single day of eating 1600 calories and I was up a pound this morning! I may have to go in again before my appointment in late July to get some feedback from my clinic.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #527
Major LCF Poster!

For the most part, and this is probably a generalization, but the white cheeses tend to be lower in fat and calories. They do not have added color, and are generally not as overly processed. I like Asiago Vecchio, Muenster light, Jarlsberg Lite, and Amish Swiss (a little higher in calories than the others though). The low carb granola my friend created for me has good fiber, as does the Yoplait fiber 1 yogurt, and also nuts. It never has proved to be an issue with me.

Jo
Old 07-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #528
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Hi Maintenance Buddies,

Well I am back from my 3 week vacation in Italy and it is time to buckle down. I gained a few pounds, which I fully intended to do as a good part of the charm of Italy is the food. No regrets and I am currently on day 2 of week 1 to purge those carbs out of my system. I've already dropped 3 pounds since yesterday. I am only on day 2, but have not been suffering at all. I made oopsie pancakes with turkey bacon for breakfast, an eggbeater omelette for lunch and miracle noodles for a late afternoon snack. I plan to have fish or shrimp for dinner. I am feeling great.

I hope you are all well and on track. I missed you guys, well... almost.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #529
Senior LCF Member

Question for you guys, and I will ask them in two weeks when I get back from my vacation (leave tomorrow), but I wanted to see what you guys have to say.

My original Medi goal was 135lbs....i really couldn't imagine getting there. My weigh-in yesterday at the clinic was 139lbs, but at home this morning it was 138lbs. So I am 3-4lbs away from that goal. I have left it that way, but in all honesty on my 5'1" frame I would like to lose another 10lbs once I hit that. So another 13-14lbs from where I am right now. I however have really used up all the money that I can really afford. I just can't keep doing the $80 weekly, but I want to keep going. So should I go every other week until I hit 25lbs? Should I hit maintance at the clinic (at 135), but still try to lose another 10lbs? What do you recommend?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #530
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Hi Lins,

That is a very good question. I went on maintenance a few pounds early to save money, learn maintenance and take a breather from acute. After about 6 months I decided I wanted to lose another 10 pounds, so went back on acute. When you go on maintenance you go off the meds and are given Stay Slim instead, which is a hoodia based natural suppresant. It helps some people but not all.

If money is an issue the every 2 week plan sounds fine. A lot of people do that. Just don't let that be an excuse to get sloppy with the acute plan. Also, make sure you go through the maintenance plan when you are ready. So many people quit going to Medi once they lose their weight only to gain it back. You need to learn the maintenance plan and go in once a month for a while until you are stable and comfortable with it.
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #531
Senior LCF Member

I already plan to go once a month for at least a year...maybe two once I hit maintance. I am not going to stop going because I think I need to weigh-in in front of someone monthly to keep me accoutable....but isn't that just $35 a month? I am already off my AS.... I weaned myself off. I take a multi-vitamin, a fat burner, an omega three, and a calcium, but all of them come from Sam's so I'm not on the "Medi" meds at all anymore.

I want to keep going every other week for as long as I possible can, because I still want the support, but we have had some finacial issues come up recently, and we live debt free, so we are pulling very thin right now. If I can spread it out a bit I have a much better chance of staying monthly for longer.
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #532
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CCCOX
Stats: 195-135-135
Start Date: 1/5/10
whoohooo 3 months in maintenance--really 2.5 and no gain~
CCCOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #533
Senior LCF Member

How often should we weigh ourselves when we start going monthly? Weekly? Daily?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #534
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CCCOX
Stats: 195-135-135
Start Date: 1/5/10
I weigh twice a day
CCCOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #535
Senior LCF Member

I weigh every single morning.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #536
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations Cori!!! I'm so happy for you! Bet you've had LOTS of pictures taken in the past 2 1/2 months! Good job staying in maintenance. Don't be a stranger
Old 07-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #537
Senior LCF Member

I weigh every single morning that I can... I travel for work constantly (Tulsa yesterday, Miami today!) & have thought about packing a scale, but I haven't taken it that far yet!

You are doing a great job maintaining, Cori!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #538
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nick80
Stats: 6ft 249/175/180
WOE: Mediweight- maintenance
Start Date: October 1, 2009
Good to see everyone is doing well!! I love the energy and focus of the people here.

Susie glad you are back and had a great time!

Everyone have a great weekend and keep up the good work!!
Cheers!!
Nick80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #539
Major LCF Poster!

When I travel, most hotels that have a fitness center also have a scale, at least the ones I have been to. I just make the scale my first stop before my workout.

....and when I am home, the scale is also my first stop of the day.

Jo

Last edited by Desert-Rose7; 07-23-2010 at 02:13 PM..
Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #540
Senior LCF Member

Good morning and happy Saturday! I love weekends...

Yesterday morning was my first official Wellness check-in and I was down 2.1 lbs overall and down 2.8 lbs in fat. The NP told me I could up my calories to 1500 - maybe even 1600 since I lost a couple. This summer, it has been so difficult to exercise on a consistent basis so I'm a little wary of upping it at all until I can get back in the gym.

They did tell me to relax a little though. lol