Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #481
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Erin,

You look amazing! Whenever you are faced with a temptation, keep in mind how good you feel and how you felt at your former weight. I think you're before and after photo says it all!
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2010, 06:51 AM   #482
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Nick,

Thanks for the well wishes. My trip is still 2 weeks away. I did go to West Palm Beach this weekend where I met up with my best friend from high school that I hadn't seen in 33 years. She couldn't believe that I had ever gotten heavy. She said I looked exactly the same as I did in high school (even though I have a few more wrinkles than I did back then, but she didn't mention it).

I totally agree with you about how we need the support in the maintenance phase. Having some without having it all is a bit like opening Pandora's Box. We have to be ever so careful and disciplined.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #483
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
Thanks, Susie!! I feel like I'm floundering a little bit as I up my calories but I'm sure that's to be expected as I adjust. I can't help but feel guilty over eating things like a low carb tortilla or 1 cup servings of mashed cauliflower or more than 1/2 a cup of blueberries, ya know? Some day I'd like to indulge in a slice of pizza and at the clinic, one lady said that she doesn't track on the weekends and eats things non-Medi then (in moderation). What do you think? We're going to Boston in a couple of weeks and I know we'll be eating Italian food. Not sure what I'm going to do about that...

In Wellness as of 6/4/2010!
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #484
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CCCOX
Stats: 195-135-135
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 1/5/10
Well I am officially on wellness! I weighed in today for the first time in three weeks. and was up 2 pounds-that being said I had Chinese food around 8 last night and I started on Monday. On my scales on Saturday I was at my lowest weight. Do you all see your scales move that much on a per week basis?

I posted my before and after pictures to the official thread
CCCOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #485
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
Start Date: May 5, 2009
Erin - I think that that is a crazy idea - having come from one very longgggggg weekend... if you get what I mean...My hardline advice is learn how to live the program. Days 'off' can kill it.
NOT2fat4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Hey Susie! - Have a great trip! Italy is one of my most favorite places...
Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #487
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
That is good advice, Macauley! It is part of the lifestyle and mindset change you and I talk about.

Here is a little article I found that may be helpful. I will pop it into the newbie thread as well:

Here's a Few Signs that your thinking has changed:

I have a pretty long commute, so I have lots of time to think. Since January, when I started the program, my commute thinking has changed. Rather than be consumed by work, I am consumed by figuring out health. And, I am liking this new thinking. Wednesday's commute was one in which I realized how different my thinking has become. I chuckled as I thought about a few SIGNS of changed thinking... Here are a few.

You know you are getting healthy when...

.... you start thinking about water in terms of ounces rather than glasses.
... you start thinking about shorter ways to get to the gym rather than thinking about ways to get around it.
...you are excited when the doctor FINALLY gives you a green light to exercise rather than dreading he might tell you to get off your butt to exercise.
... you think twice about eating out rather than eating out twice.
... grocery shopping actually takes a lot to time because you do a double take on every ingredient label rather than scarcely glancing at anything beyond the price.
...you eye the couch as the most convenient place to store your weights rather than the most convenient place to store the weight of your rear.
... you curse at the architects of parking places that seem way too close to the front door of the supermarket rather than obnoxiously far away from the closest entrance.
...you realize there are not enough triathlon magazines at the store rather than thinking that the manager is wasting good book space for magazines only elite athletes will purchase.
... you find yourself salivating over different kinds of running shoes rather than looking for the cheapest tennies after the ones you own get holes in both soles.
...you relish in the burn of a good workout rather than stop as soon as anything tingles at the slightest!

Those are just a few of my SIGNS! It's kind of fun to make this list! I started off with about 2-3 and ended up thinking of more! Try it!!

Jo
Old 06-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #488
Senior LCF Member

That's a great one Jo - I took the day off today just so I could be outside and run around with my dogs early in the day. Makes me so happy...
Old 06-18-2010, 05:01 AM   #489
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
Question for those who are maintaining. It's more of an option than a question I guess. As of my week 10 weigh-in I am right at a -30lb loss. I am 12lbs away from my goal. My 30th birthday is on Wednesday and my friends want to take me out for desserts. They all know that I have been on a low carb diet and are very understand and supportive so they are willing to do something else if I want to.

I have mixed feelings about getting a small dessert on my birthday. On one hand I don't crave it anymore, and I don't want to start craving it again, so I have a fear of that. But on the other hand I know that this is a new WOE for me, for life, but I also want to learn how to have a small dessert a few times a year, and not feel guilty about it. I have only strayed off plan 1 time and that was to have about 6 tortilla chips and some cheese dip. I have never been out of ketosis. I run 3 times a week, 2-3 miles a each time. I walk on my "off" running days.

So what's your option on eatting a small dessert everyonce in awhile, like on your birthday? I haven't decided what I will do yet, and I really would like to have your option.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:28 AM   #490
Senior LCF Member

If I were in your shoes, I would decline and celebrate some other way. Why not go out for coffee or dinner? There is no rule in life that says you need to eat dessert on ones birthday. In fact, the best gift you can give yourself is to abstain. You'll have plenty of birthdays on maintenance where you can do that. Think of all the money you're spending too. I would put dollar amounts on my pounds lost.

If you do decide to splurge, just keep in mind that one bite inevitably leads to more so be prepared to get immediately back on track. Good luck in deciding! That's tough!
Old 06-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #491
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Hi Lins ~ I'm interested to hear what input everyone has. Personally, I know how I have talked to myself and I'm not completely retrained in my thinking yet, so I would fear that if I said no to dessert then in a week time (tired, tempted) I would really indulge to try to make up for it. But, if I CHOSE to have something safer, something that is a dessert but somewhat allowed, I would feel I didn't miss out. It all depends, I guess, where you're head is at! I think the category of what I'm describing of a safer kind of option would be something like warmed fruit with a drizzle of something on it. Then go back to week one for the next 3 days to get back in ketosis.
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dodgern
Stats: 236/150.6/140- now on maintenance
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 2/26/09
Hi Lins.....

You can do what I do and let them order their desserts then have a "taste" of them!
That way, you can celebrate without overdoing it!!!!

cindy
dodgern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #493
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
If you are still in the acute phase, then the dessert you are looking at is a no no. There are other options out there for you to choose from - such as going out for coffee or even for a lunch as Erin has already suggested to you...where the choices are within your plan. Of course, the choice is yours as is the result of that choice.

Just as an FYI, I began the plan during the Christmas holidays, and made it through without going off plan. There were a lot of choices there, and I promised myself that I would choose correctly. Not that it was easy, but the result was a good one.

As I have said so many times, this is a lifestyle change, and only you can make those choices. Each choice will impact you in some way, so the choices must be made wisely and made with knowledge of the results.

Good luck! And happy birthday!

Jo

Last edited by Desert-Rose7; 06-18-2010 at 05:21 PM..
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #494
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nsjx
Stats: 203.5/159/159 - maintenance
WOE: medi
Start Date: April 17, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
If you are still in the acute phase, then the dessert you are looking at is a no no. There are other options out there for you to choose from - such as going out for coffee or even for a lunch as Erin has already suggested to you...where the choices are within your plan. Of course, the choice is yours as is the result of that choice.

Just as an FYI, I began the plan during the Christmas holidays, and made it through without going off plan. There were a lot of choices there, and I promised myself that I would choose correctly. Not that it was easy, but the result was a good one.

As I have said so many times, this is a lifestyle change, and only you can make those choices. Each choice will impact you in some way, so the choices must be made wisely and made with knowledge of the results.

Good luck! And happy birthday!

Jo
Jo you are always the voice of wisdom............steadfast, unwavering......and right
nsjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fit2b55
Stats: 218/211/178
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 6/24/09-Maintenance 10/12/09!!: RESTART 5/27/14
Birthday Dessert

Looks like today is your birthday. Coming from another June baby...DO NOT DO IT!!! I've been in Maintenance since October and have been within 3 lbs of goal weight the entire time UNTIL my birthday about two weeks ago.. I had 2 small pieces of cake and another cheat or two over that weekend. I'm now up 6.5 lbs which is 3.5 higher than I've beeen in 9 months!! Tomorrow, I'll have been grocery shopping and hitting a few days of all protein. I can tell you that no dessert is worth it!!

On the plus side, I hit 50 weighing about what I did when I graduated from high school...so I'm taking the win, reiging in the carbs for a week to 10 days and moving on!

I've caught up with most of you and your posts so Susie, have a wonderful time in Italy! Macauley-sorry to hear about the cancer in your family members--always scary--prayers for quick return to good health for all. Jo-HOORAY on your retirement! I've always read that shift work is tough on metabolism and weight. You've done so well in spite of your schedule. Enjoy your stress free days and nights ahead!

Take care all. El

Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
Question for those who are maintaining. It's more of an option than a question I guess. As of my week 10 weigh-in I am right at a -30lb loss. I am 12lbs away from my goal. My 30th birthday is on Wednesday and my friends want to take me out for desserts. They all know that I have been on a low carb diet and are very understand and supportive so they are willing to do something else if I want to.

I have mixed feelings about getting a small dessert on my birthday. On one hand I don't crave it anymore, and I don't want to start craving it again, so I have a fear of that. But on the other hand I know that this is a new WOE for me, for life, but I also want to learn how to have a small dessert a few times a year, and not feel guilty about it. I have only strayed off plan 1 time and that was to have about 6 tortilla chips and some cheese dip. I have never been out of ketosis. I run 3 times a week, 2-3 miles a each time. I walk on my "off" running days.

So what's your option on eatting a small dessert everyonce in awhile, like on your birthday? I haven't decided what I will do yet, and I really would like to have your option.
fit2b55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #496
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txntv
Stats: 5'5" 169.5/131/140
Start Date: March 25, 2010
I'm on maintenance now. After .5, 1 and .5 losses in three weeks, going back on week 1 with disappointing results (still negative ketostix and only .5 loss) and feeling rundown more often -- it was a sign to switch.

I just read ALL 17 pages of this forum. Thanks for all the input and advice. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do / not do based on MWL's recommendations. I did skip this morning's AS, and am already hungry at 10am. I plan to eat my 6 almonds. Not sure what else as I don't like to snack before lunch other than the almonds.

Scary new world.
July: -2.5
Beyond: -5
Total loss: 38

Wellness...
txntv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #497
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntv View Post
I'm on maintenance now. After .5, 1 and .5 losses in three weeks, going back on week 1 with disappointing results (still negative ketostix and only .5 loss) and feeling rundown more often -- it was a sign to switch.

I just read ALL 17 pages of this forum. Thanks for all the input and advice. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do / not do based on MWL's recommendations. I did skip this morning's AS, and am already hungry at 10am. I plan to eat my 6 almonds. Not sure what else as I don't like to snack before lunch other than the almonds.

Scary new world.
I am a little confused - if you are on maintainence - why you are trying to lose weight? And also looking at your stats - at 5'5" - 139 sounds like a good weight to maintain. I have finally reached the weight you started with (169 lb) after 80 lb loss! And my goal is 145 and I am 5'4" (that would bring me to BMI of 25). I think you should just feel proud for what you have done.
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #498
Senior LCF Member

Yay! Congrats on maintenance!

Quick question for wellness folks. What supplements are you taking and how often? Are you still taking a fat burner of some kind? Stay slim?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #499
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irabeslim View Post
I am a little confused - if you are on maintainence - why you are trying to lose weight? And also looking at your stats - at 5'5" - 139 sounds like a good weight to maintain. I have finally reached the weight you started with (169 lb) after 80 lb loss! And my goal is 145 and I am 5'4" (that would bring me to BMI of 25). I think you should just feel proud for what you have done.
Thank you. My body fat sucks at 29%. I see people who weigh the same or more and have lower body fat. YES, I lift weights and I mix it up per the trainer's advice.

I am proud -- I just wish my fat % was lower. Thank you. I am nervous about maintenance too because even the successful folks have seen weight go up and down during this phase.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #500
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nick80
Stats: 6ft 249/175/180
WOE: Mediweight- maintenance
Start Date: October 1, 2009
Just wanted to weigh in on the maintenance phase and the occasional dessert etc. Although I am no pro and I am still experimenting so as to be able to keep a constant weight with low fluctuations, I have found that when I really do crave something and I do not have it I end up eating lots more of other things hoping to prevent my craving - it didnt work. So, I will have a bit of what I crave, take small bites, chew a lot and make sure my taste buds are getting the full exposure before swallowing. During this entire act, I am thinking of the ingredients that went into it and calculate the damage. I soon put a stop to finishing the whole thing and at the same time I can pat myself on the back for being able to stop and be proud. These are games I play so as to make food a part of life and not to feel that I cannot enjoy it anymore. Of course I do have my slip ups and I then make sure I cut down on what I eat. I make sure I weigh myself regulalrly to keep myself in check.

Make sure that exercise becomes a part of your life. That is also very key. I think out of this whole experience, I have learnt to appreciate the word "balance".

These are some of my thoughts and I certainly appreaciate other folk's thoughts. More pearls wisdom further down the road as I fine tool my jouney..
Nick80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #501
Senior LCF Member

txntv = there are two settings on the Tanita scales - one for people who workout a lot - depending on what they are weighing you in on - you may have a different read out. Last summer when I was working out every day they changed the setting and it changed quite a bit. Tanita scales do it all on impedance - and the scales that Medi uses only 'imped' up to your waist or so - to get a true fat reading you need to get a full body impedance...
if you are bottom heavy - the Tanita scales may be throwing off your read,

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it
Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #502
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT2fat4fun View Post
txntv = there are two settings on the Tanita scales - one for people who workout a lot - depending on what they are weighing you in on - you may have a different read out. Last summer when I was working out every day they changed the setting and it changed quite a bit. Tanita scales do it all on impedance - and the scales that Medi uses only 'imped' up to your waist or so - to get a true fat reading you need to get a full body impedance...
if you are bottom heavy - the Tanita scales may be throwing off your read,
Interesting. Thanks for that information. NOOOoooo... I am top heavy. Ha... no rear and even less of it now and chicken legs and thighs. Knowing this -- would it make a difference?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #503
Senior LCF Member

Oh that is interesting considering i have thunder thighs and junk in the trunk!!! haha
Old 06-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #504
Senior LCF Member

Next time you are weighed in, ask them to switch the scale to athletic. I've had this done and my fat percentage dropped almost 10%. I followed that up with the 4 point caliper test with an exercise physiologist. Bottom line, the MWL scale says 40.3% fat at 177 lbs at 6 feet tall. On athletic and with the calipers, I'm at 28%. My fat, what little I have is around my hips so that's why the high number.

All that being said, do NOT get hung up on the % body fat number. All the numbers are relative. Here's another example, my husband has 19% body fat but a BMI of 29.5. He is incredibly fit, can't lose much more body fat yet that BMI is technically overweight and borderline obese. So again, if your clothes fit and you feel good....don't let the numbers make you crazy!

Quote:
Thank you. My body fat sucks at 29%. I see people who weigh the same or more and have lower body fat. YES, I lift weights and I mix it up per the trainer's advice.

I am proud -- I just wish my fat % was lower. Thank you. I am nervous about maintenance too because even the successful folks have seen weight go up and down during this phase.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #505
Senior LCF Member

And I see someone else also mentioned this above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit2b50 View Post
Next time you are weighed in, ask them to switch the scale to athletic. I've had this done and my fat percentage dropped almost 10%. I followed that up with the 4 point caliper test with an exercise physiologist. Bottom line, the MWL scale says 40.3% fat at 177 lbs at 6 feet tall. On athletic and with the calipers, I'm at 28%. My fat, what little I have is around my hips so that's why the high number.

All that being said, do NOT get hung up on the % body fat number. All the numbers are relative. Here's another example, my husband has 19% body fat but a BMI of 29.5. He is incredibly fit, can't lose much more body fat yet that BMI is technically overweight and borderline obese. So again, if your clothes fit and you feel good....don't let the numbers make you crazy!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #506
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit2b50 View Post
And I see someone else also mentioned this above.
Thank you! I missed that one. Like I said... read entire Maintenance forum today.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #507
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/171/149 5'8" 38 years old
Quote:
Originally Posted by eptexy View Post
Quick question for wellness folks. What supplements are you taking and how often? Are you still taking a fat burner of some kind? Stay slim?
I am still taking the full cadre of pills, but now include Medi-Melts and Stay Slim during the day in addition to the multi, Omega 3s, calcium, fat burner, hair & skin supplement (mostly biotin), and DHEA (prescribed by my ob/gyn).

It is almost comical to watch me take all these pills in the morning.
suzanna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #508
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/171/149 5'8" 38 years old
Quote:

My bodyfat on the Tanita scale is still around 36%! I had a Bod Pod measurement done and was at 23.5%, which seems much more likely. The only thing that I can believe for the huge discrepancy is that I have titanium rods and screws in my back that may affect the Tanita scale. I took girth measurements and plugged them in to an online body fat calculator on the HealthStatus website and my results were comparable to the BodPod, so I am completely ignoring the Tanita!
suzanna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #509
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
Start Date: 1/12/14
I just wanted to come back and say that I did not eat a dessert for my birthday. I decided it wasn't worth it. I ate steak for dinner and I may have had a little bit more of that than normal (since there is no scale it's hard to say). I got a 6 oz steak and didn't eat all of it. But I thought it was better to error on the protein side instead of the carbs. I will still in ketosis tonight, and I went on a 3 mile run tonight too. I weigh-in in the morning.
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #510
Senior LCF Member

Way to go Lins - certainly something to be proud of.