Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dodgern
Stats: 236/150.6/140- now on maintenance
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 2/26/09
Hi Macauley: I'm with Jo...

Stay busy,stay accountable, and stay off the couch
Weightloss IS fragile-having been there before-I lost over 100lbs by myself the first time,hurt my back,kept eating,and put almost ALL of it back on :blush:
This time, I'm very cognizant of everything I put in my mouth-I account for every calorie that passes my lips BUT I'm not hypervigilant I don't journal but I haven't since 3 months into MWL-I've just made this WOE my WOL.
My hubby also notices what I'm eating as I eat a little differently than he does. He gets more carbs, I get more veggies My protein portion is also a little bigger than his-I work out more at the gym and my body yells out for it I continue to take my Mega T even though it's a fatburner, I find it's also an energy source-it helps with the energy downtime in the afternoon!

It's so hard to feel that motivation when your partner is out of town-especially for that long,but you can also look at that time that he's not there as more time for you-go to the gym,go for a walk,make a few meals for yourself ahead of time. There are times I miss being single and I've been married almost 10yrs (together for 11 yrs) That alone-time was precious to me so I could do what I wanted and get caught up on my reading or drawing or painting or..... you get the point!!

We're here for you

cindy
dodgern is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
WOE: Medi
Start Date: May 5, 2009
Thanks Jo and Cindy! I really appreciate your support. Taking it a day at a time and taking nothing for granted.
I am also going to focus on protein and cut back on the carbs for awhile - and journal/weigh everyday so I don't slip.
Developing quality 'coping' skills is definitely a focus for me this year - a great time to get creative!
Thanks again.
NOT2fat4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:02 AM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tracy_d
Stats: 5'7'' 191.5/150.5/150 now on maintenance
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: June 8, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT2fat4fun View Post
Thanks Jo and Cindy! I really appreciate your support. Taking it a day at a time and taking nothing for granted.
I am also going to focus on protein and cut back on the carbs for awhile - and journal/weigh everyday so I don't slip.
Developing quality 'coping' skills is definitely a focus for me this year - a great time to get creative!
Thanks again.
Macauley-

Much of my stress I have been dealing with for the past few months has been similar to yours. My husband has been working remotely for a company that is two and a half hours away for about two years now. This past year he has been going over to the office on a weekly basis for two to four days at a time. It's been very difficult. I feel your fears because I still struggle with staying motivated when he's gone. I have 2 teenage boys at home that sometimes help, but they are teenagers after all, so I'm mostly on my own. Seems like you and I have a lot of parallel circumstances in our lives. I'm glad to know you are here. We can continue to motivate each other.
tracy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Jessica, you look amazing. I hope you are feeling better after your surgery.
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
Hey all,
I am up and bopping around I had trouble with the pain meds (always do) but once I got off them and just took Ibuprofen, I feel great. Sore in the abdomen and I look about 4 months pregnant, but much better!

My Ladies Bible study is having a Girls Night Out on Thursday this week and I REALLY want to go! But it's at Carrabbas where I never eat. Can you guys help!!

Here's the menu
http://www.carrabbas.com/menu/pdf/38PF-37PW.pdf

Now, a few stipulations.. in addition to the Medi maintaince guidelines I am staying away from red meat for a bit (part of healing from the surgery), everything spicy or fried for a LONG time (lack of a galbladder), I hate mussles and also I don't like mushrooms (so no Marsala for me). Help! Do you guys see anything at all that I can order? I really want to go out with the girls and it will be my first evening out since the surgery. Oh, and I don't drink regardless, so no worries on that part of the menu I have never had a problem finding things to order out even on acute, but I'm not seeing much here that I could eat with all the restrictions right now..

Mommy to THREE sweeties, ages 4(g), 3(g), and 8 months(b)!

Lost 100 pounds on Medi in 2009! Gained it back during bedrest for a high-risk pregnancy Restart: January 2012!!

Week 1: -12.8 pounds
Month 1: -20.6 pounds
Month 2: -16.8 pounds

Last edited by Mommy-2-girls; 01-03-2010 at 07:13 PM..
Mommy-2-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dodgern
Stats: 236/150.6/140- now on maintenance
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 2/26/09
Jessica- Just do what I do and be a little hard maintenance Tell the wait person what you want-like a grilled chicken breast and veges and a salad etc and tell them how you want it done! I've eaten/ordered from many places while in acute phase and no-one has ever given me a problem! They've all been very understanding and they even tend to admire you for sticking to your diet! Especially when you tell them how much you've lost It's nice to see the look on their faces and if they look at you in disbelief...show 'em your drivers' licence...a picture is worth a 1000 words!!!!

cindy
dodgern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bre321
Stats: 5'8" 224/ 151.4/ 160
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: August 25, 2009
Excited to be joining you all over here in maintenance
Bre321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bre321 View Post
Yeah Bre! Welcome!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 04:40 AM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fit2b55
Stats: 218/211/178
Start Date: 6/24/09-Maintenance 10/12/09!!: RESTART 5/27/14
Jessica-Carrabba's is THE WORST! They refuse to provide nutritional info which always means they are just loaded with bad for you stuff! And you are right there is absolutely nothing good on there!

Someone suggested grilled chicken. I think they'll add that to a small house salad for you with dressing on the side.

I do know their food is REALLY salty so drink as much water as possible while there and when you get home.

Make the night out about the people and just ignore the food. Glad you are feeling so wonderful! It's amazing isn't it!! You had no idea how bad you felt until you felt so good right! Have fun! El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy-2-girls View Post
Hey all,
I am up and bopping around I had trouble with the pain meds (always do) but once I got off them and just took Ibuprofen, I feel great. Sore in the abdomen and I look about 4 months pregnant, but much better!

My Ladies Bible study is having a Girls Night Out on Thursday this week and I REALLY want to go! But it's at Carrabbas where I never eat. Can you guys help!!

Here's the menu
http://www.carrabbas.com/menu/pdf/38PF-37PW.pdf

Now, a few stipulations.. in addition to the Medi maintaince guidelines I am staying away from red meat for a bit (part of healing from the surgery), everything spicy or fried for a LONG time (lack of a galbladder), I hate mussles and also I don't like mushrooms (so no Marsala for me). Help! Do you guys see anything at all that I can order? I really want to go out with the girls and it will be my first evening out since the surgery. Oh, and I don't drink regardless, so no worries on that part of the menu I have never had a problem finding things to order out even on acute, but I'm not seeing much here that I could eat with all the restrictions right now..
fit2b55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Welcome to maintenance, Bre'. You have worked so hard to get here, and I am so proud of you for finding the commitment and making it work. And happy to know you are progressing well after your surgery.

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

~Jessica~ Carraba's is a definite minefield. I have been there,not lately, but during the acute phase. I ordered off the children's menu - the grilled chicken breast - specifying - grilled - no sauces - no nothing - just grilled...and I asked for a small house salad - just the greens please, no tomatoes, onions or other "stuff", just the greens please (unless you want those particular veggies), with wedges of lemon for the dressing. The waiter was accomodating and interested in why I was so specific, so I told him. After that, he made sure my water glass was always full and brought more lemons! So it is possible. Good grief, sweetie, you have been to "minefield" restaurants before and been successful...this one is no different. Now "Cheescake Factory" is a challenge too, and even that one can be tamed!

Jo
Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Speaking of minefield restaurants...

My husband and I had an interesting conversation. He likes to eat out breakfast/lunch every weekend while I prefer to eat at home. I asked him why and he said he felt like his choices were much more limited at home. I told him for me it was the exact opposite. When I make breakfast/lunch at home I can make french toast, eggs benidict, pizza, quesidillas, or anything I am in the mood for. I just have to leave out the carby ingredients. When I eat out it is always a boring salad, grilled chicken, grilled fish, steamed vegetables, .... He said he never thought of it that way before. It was enlightening for both of us.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Jo- Oh yeah, minefield for sure. I literally NEVER eat there.. I can think of 1 time and that was right after I moved back from Paris in 2002! I'm thinking side salad and soup?? I don't really even care about the food because I just want to spend time with my friends, so I may eat something before I go and just try to get away with an unsweet tea and side salad

Saw my surgeon today and he said I am doing great! 1 more week and then I'm cleared to get back to exercise and the regular diet. I'm eager to test out my new Wii EA Active game that I got for Christmas
Old 01-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hudiman
Stats: 5'2" /155/ now at goal 125
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinc
Start Date: April 23, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bre321 View Post
Haven't been on board in a while but here I am and wishing Bre a big congratulations!
hudiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Hi All -
Have had a rough week as I did some damage at the gym. After trying to get back my equilibrium I finally felt like I got it today. Maintenance has been tough for me - I think I hate carbs! Anyway - after cleaning up my mess for a few days I feel much cleaner and ready to say I am on the program again. I haven't been to the clinic in almost four weeks - go back on Monday. What a month!!!

Having shared all that whining - Welcome Bre! Maintenance is a great place to be! (Most of the time )

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it

Last edited by NOT2fat4fun; 01-07-2010 at 06:09 PM..
Old 01-09-2010, 04:36 AM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi All -
Have had a rough week as I did some damage at the gym. After trying to get back my equilibrium I finally felt like I got it today. Maintenance has been tough for me - I think I hate carbs! Anyway - after cleaning up my mess for a few days I feel much cleaner and ready to say I am on the program again. I haven't been to the clinic in almost four weeks - go back on Monday. What a month!!!

Having shared all that whining - Welcome Bre! Maintenance is a great place to be! (Most of the time )
I think you and I have such paralleled opinions and experiences MacCauley!
I have been having trouble too. If I eat carbs, I just want more. I really was relaxed over the Christmas break, and ate whatever I wanted and worked out extra hard to compensate. Well, when I went to NY I only worked out 1 of the 5 days and came back feeling like I had to start all over. My only saving grace is that I've been going to the clinic faithfully - Monday I was up 3.8 pounds!! YIKES So from Tuesday until now I have been eating pretty close to the week one menu with a tiny bit of carbs (nuts) here and there in the afternoon before working out. I have worked out for 45 minutes everyday this week. I don't know if it's enough to get the 3.8 pounds off, so I may be restricting myself next week too. Will we EVER be able to eat carbs without this constant worry??
Old 01-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Hi Tracy - based on my experiences the answer is a resounding NO... so there it is.
Feeling better today but decided to not work out for another few days. Food is better but not quite doing week one. I am setting some goals though because they always help me. I have a family thing coming up in 5 weeks. Nice do-able chunk of time.

Are you all going into the clinic once a month?
Old 01-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #288
Senior LCF Member

I'm going to the clinic once a month. So far, my weight has remained the same. Actually I lost .6 lbs and a pound of fat during December. I've had no problems with adding carbs but I'm VERY satisfied with the high fiber Thomas' English Muffins, Ezekiel Raisin bread and the very occasional pasta. Not sure what you and Tracy have been choosing for carbs. I think you can add them in BUT the selections will always be limited...at least for me. And I'm more than OK with that.

I have slipped back into my glass of wine a day habit. Hasn't affected my weight but I can see the belly fat coming back so tonight is the last for awhile. I have some goals around my 50th b'day and our two beach trips this year. They should be enough to keep me focused and away from the red wine for the next few months!

I guess we all have our weaknesses. Some will require an all or nothing approach and others will have a place in a balanced diet. We will figure it out as we move forward.

The BEST BEST BEST is starting out the new year without a weight LOSS goal on my list of resolutions! A first in oh ...several DECADES!!!

Hang in there ladies! We are successful Losers! And will maintain. El

Quote:
Hi Tracy - based on my experiences the answer is a resounding NO... so there it is.
Feeling better today but decided to not work out for another few days. Food is better but not quite doing week one. I am setting some goals though because they always help me. I have a family thing coming up in 5 weeks. Nice do-able chunk of time.

Are you all going into the clinic once a month?
Old 01-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #289
Senior LCF Member

I'm still going twice a week to the clinic. Once for weigh in, once for shots,just because I feel better knowing I have that weigh in in front of them. It makes me feel really bad when they write down that number if it goes up. Also, I found that I like the effectiveness of the shots better than the B12 metabolic melts. For the carbs I can have a slice of light bread to make a sandwich and even have a few crackers with cheese for a snack, but over the holidays I think I sampled every "specialty" cookie I saw So sugar is my All or nothing- I can't get enough of it when I start. The scale this morning showed I am down two pounds from the 3.8 I gained, and my belly is not looking so bloated (I indulged in a little wine myself while on vacation about 3 times). It's amazing how just two weeks of sugar and alcohol bloat it right up! I will eventually go to the clinic once a month, but with the stress in my life right now (my marriage is on the rocks) I need this constant support system.

Last edited by tracy_d; 01-10-2010 at 03:22 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Tracy-Understand completely. I make the Cookie Monster look like a slacker so.....I have sworn off cookies for the rest of my life! I know that one will lead to one hundered and will be my undoing.

The winter holidays are a bear. But you made it to the other side with relatively little damage....look at what you did last year, if you remember.

Good job getting back on track! El

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy_d View Post
I'm still going twice a week to the clinic. Once for weigh in, once for shots,just because I feel better knowing I have that weigh in in front of them. It makes me feel really bad when they write down that number if it goes up. Also, I found that I like the effectiveness of the shots better than the B12 metabolic melts. For the carbs I can have a slice of light bread to make a sandwich and even have a few crackers with cheese for a snack, but over the holidays I think I sampled every "specialty" cookie I saw So sugar is my All or nothing- I can't get enough of it when I start. The scale this morning showed I am down two pounds from the 3.8 I gained, and my belly is not looking so bloated (I indulged in a little wine myself while on vacation about 3 times). It's amazing how just two weeks of sugar and alcohol bloat it right up! I will eventually go to the clinic once a month, but with the stress in my life right now (my marriage is on the rocks) I need this constant support system.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Wow Tracy - twice a week! I wish I could but it is just so hard for me to get there. I am totally with you about the accountable part though, maybe I should make it a priority to go every week. This first one back is going to be a killer.
Sorry about your stress. Yes - we certainly seem to be east coast west coast twins ...
Day at a time...
Old 01-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

I go once a month for two reasons: cost and distance. I really put myself on a tight budget in order to do the program, and used all my HSA $$$ as well as some savings to do it. I am rebuilding my savings now, and I seem to be okay with the once a month. If I feel that I am slipping up in any area, the clinic and I are agreed that I will go back to twice a month. I did not indulge in a lot of stuff over the holidays and didn't gain anything but my exercise was not up to the "regular routine" and I noticed almost instantly the difference in my thighs, waist and above. So I have really hit the exercise hard since the beginning of the year, and I can see the results already.

Exercise is my key to success. I am not wild about cookies, or sweets in general...well unless is it Haribo Gummi Bears..and I have been able to stay away from them thus far. I do not buy them. If I do not buy them, I do not eat them, that simple really.

My current favorite thing are tangelos from my friend Charles' tree. They are so so good. Sweet and juicy, a perfect top off to a lunch or a dinner. One a day goes a long way. They are gorgeous to look at and wonderful to munch on!

The only bread like item I have really used are the Mission Carb Balance whole wheat tortillas. I use them as a wrap for my Boars Head turkey. Again one a day. Potatoes are a once in a great while thing for me. Just cannot handle them. And I do not use butter or anything else, just plain. Same for brown rice, formerly one of my very favorite things.

Maintenance is most definitely a slippery slope. And for me, I think it will be until I am really at ease with all the different things I am choosing to add back in. I never really ate a lot of bad stuff before, just wayyyyy tooooooo much of the good stuff, so it is very very difficult for me right now.

We will all do this together.

Jo

Last edited by Desert-Rose7; 01-10-2010 at 10:36 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Hi Jo - good to hear from you. I am like you - really I don't eat a lot of 'bad' foods - unless they are in the house (so they aren't). I am a big fruit eater so that has been hard to cut back. I do eat berries everyday right now - but mangos are my favorite.
We had house guests for a week so there was a lot of food that we don't generally have around. They are now all gone - ahem - not all in the trash - so life is good...
Old 01-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Just like Jo, my problem has generally been with quantity. I have always eaten very heathfully, just way too much. I got through the entire holiday having 1 brownie and 1 very small slice of birthday cake. I don't even enjoy those kind of sweets very much. Now potatoes, bread, chips, cheese, wine ... that's a different story and I try to only have them sparingly, but on occassion I overindulge.

One thing that I have been enjoying as a dessert is 1 cup of frozen berries (the blueberry, blackberry, strawberry and rasberry mix) heated and sweetened with Truvia, served over a sweetened oopsie roll and topped with light whipped topping. The berries have 17g carb, but 6g fiber.

I got a Bodybugg for Christmas which has already been a great source of help. I wear it all day and it tells me my calorie burn for the day. It uses body temp and pulse rate to calculate and is supposed to be 90% accurate. I download the info to the computer and log what I eat on their website and their software keeps track of my delta calories. It graphs my minute to minute calorie burn so I can see when it peaks and how it behaves throughout the day.

One thing that I have noticed is that on the days I exercise, not only do I burn more calories during exercise, I burn more calories for the rest of the day. I have been burning between 1900 and 2700 calories per day depending on the amount of activity.

I have never had such a strong metabolism. I think strength training and the dietary suppliments have really helped to boost my metabolism.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Macauley,

I lived in California (LA county) from 1977 - 1994. My husband was raised there and we both have family there. We lived there when the 1994 Northridge earthquake hit and after that I have no desire to move back. It is a wonderful place to visit.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Susie - you sure wouldn't want to be here right now -we have been rocking and rolling for a few days now.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Ugh, even on maintaince TOM causes water issues! It stinks! I weighed myself Friday morning and was around 2 pounds over my last weigh-in, which was OK by me since I know I haven't been allowed to exercise and I will be restarting Acute on Friday. But I weighed myself this morning and it showed another 6 pounds!! Now I KNOW I didn't gain 6 pounds over the weekend. Typical amn't of water retention for me but it sure is annoying.

OK, that's all. I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to restarting the program! I'm not even dreading week 1.. I'm actually hoping for a nice big number! I know it won't be as much as the 9.8 I lost when I started Medi but hopefully I'll get a good result and inch my way closer to goal
Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

About that body bugg, Susie. Which one did you receive? I am seriously considering one but the cost is a drawback. And, vanity speaking here, how does it look with work clothes? I think I probably will profit in the long run with one, as I really need to make sense of maintenance. Visual clues are the best thing for me, well, besides looking in the mirror!

Jo
Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Jo,

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

My husband bought the bodybugg for me for Christmas. Costco had a $50 off online coupon a few weeks before Christmas, so the total was $199 instead of the normal $249. It came with a one year subscription to their website. After the first year I think it is $79 per year. Since then their website is selling it online for $199, but only has a 6 month subscription.

The box it came in just says bodybugg. There are no model numbers. The different configurations are if you get the display along with it. I ended buying the display later on at a 24 hr fitness club for $79. You don't need the display, but I like to watch the calorie burn during my workouts.

It has been very cold here and I have been wearing it under my clothes. You can't even tell I have it on. Of course if I was sleeveless you would see it, but it doesn't look much different from the IPOD's people wear strapped to their arm.

It is an investment, but it has really helped me get a grasp on the calories in versus calories out equation. It also helps me see what activities really burn calories. I was surprised to see how many calories I burned taking down all my Christmas decorations (using ladders and such) and hauling them upstairs to the storage room.

You also get a coaching session to optimize how you use it. I haven't had that yet, but have read through most of the instructions manual.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
Hi Jo,

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

My husband bought the bodybugg for me for Christmas. Costco had a $50 off online coupon a few weeks before Christmas, so the total was $199 instead of the normal $249. It came with a one year subscription to their website. After the first year I think it is $79 per year. Since then their website is selling it online for $199, but only has a 6 month subscription.

The box it came in just says bodybugg. There are no model numbers. The different configurations are if you get the display along with it. I ended buying the display later on at a 24 hr fitness club for $79. You don't need the display, but I like to watch the calorie burn during my workouts.

It has been very cold here and I have been wearing it under my clothes. You can't even tell I have it on. Of course if I was sleeveless you would see it, but it doesn't look much different from the IPOD's people wear strapped to their arm.

It is an investment, but it has really helped me get a grasp on the calories in versus calories out equation. It also helps me see what activities really burn calories. I was surprised to see how many calories I burned taking down all my Christmas decorations (using ladders and such) and hauling them upstairs to the storage room.

You also get a coaching session to optimize how you use it. I haven't had that yet, but have read through most of the instructions manual.
I just checked Costco's website and they have it for $179 (arm band only) with a 1 year subscription.