Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Medi Exercisers! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/601706-medi-exercisers.html)

Jonpryor99 02-02-2009 11:17 AM

Medi Exercisers!

Now that we have our own Medi Weightloss section I thought I would start a thread specifically about exercising. I am sure most of us have found that working out while on the plan really helps ignite the fat loss!

I have been running on average 4 days a week since November and I track my time, distance and calories burned in an Excel spreadsheet. Keeping track of it keeps me motivated and helps me to see if my times and distances are improving.

Anyone else doing Jogging/running as their main workout?

Here's an image of the Excel spreadsheet I use and my January 2009 log.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...RUNNINGLOG.jpg

McBoo 02-02-2009 01:54 PM

Jon,

Thanks for starting the exercise thread. I run as part of my cardio at the gym. I sometimes run outside but am not on any regular schedule.

Today I only did cardio at the gym 22 minutes on the eliptical fat burner level 5. I did abs at home.

McBoo

Jonpryor99 02-03-2009 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBoo (Post 11515210)
Jon,

Thanks for starting the exercise thread. I run as part of my cardio at the gym. I sometimes run outside but am not on any regular schedule.

Today I only did cardio at the gym 22 minutes on the eliptical fat burner level 5. I did abs at home.

McBoo

I need to start doing some outdoor running. I used to always run outdoors but the Treadmill here at work is just so convient at lunchtime.

McBoo 02-03-2009 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonpryor99 (Post 11517762)
I need to start doing some outdoor running. I used to always run outdoors but the Treadmill here at work is just so convient at lunchtime.

I hear you. With the treadmill I cant use the weather as an excuse not to do it. It really keeps me on track.

McBoo

NIKKI21 02-04-2009 11:16 AM

Eliptical is my new favorite - what a workout.
I use the manual option, 25 mins with the 5 min cooldown for total 30 mins, on leval 2.
I go at least every other day, sometimes couple of days in a row.

Make sure to fill up my water bottle before I start - by the time I finish the 30 mins it is gone or close to it.

Need to start some light weights to tone, just haven't felt up to it, mood wise.

Jonpryor99 02-04-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIKKI21 (Post 11525365)
Eliptical is my new favorite - what a workout.
I use the manual option, 25 mins with the 5 min cooldown for total 30 mins, on leval 2.
I go at least every other day, sometimes couple of days in a row.

Make sure to fill up my water bottle before I start - by the time I finish the 30 mins it is gone or close to it.

Need to start some light weights to tone, just haven't felt up to it, mood wise.

Eliptical's are great in that they minimize the impact stress on your joints. I have one at home but unfortunately I just can't get into using it. I just don't get the same enjoyment from it as I do running and I never feel like I am working as hard on it. They are very good for exercise though and for those that enjoy them, I think it's great! :up:

SDC2 02-04-2009 11:44 AM

My exercise routine

I do 20 minutes on the weight machines for my arms, then 50 minute studio cycling class on M-W-F. I wear a heart rate monitor which also calculates calories. I usually burn about 550 calories between the 2 exercises. On Saturdays I take a 60 minute body sculpting class that uses steps, weights, and bands. The focus is 30 minutes on the upper body and 30 minutes on the lower body. I burn about 500 calories during this class. Lots of squats!

Susie

AnneME98 02-08-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDC2 (Post 11525480)
I do 20 minutes on the weight machines for my arms, then 50 minute studio cycling class on M-W-F. I wear a heart rate monitor which also calculates calories. I usually burn about 550 calories between the 2 exercises. On Saturdays I take a 60 minute body sculpting class that uses steps, weights, and bands. The focus is 30 minutes on the upper body and 30 minutes on the lower body. I burn about 500 calories during this class. Lots of squats!

Susie

Is studio-cycling the same as spinning? Also, where did you get your heart rate monitor? I'm thinking about getting one to help keep my HR at an acceptable level to see if that is what is triggering the migraines.

SDC2 02-08-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnneME98 (Post 11542314)
Is studio-cycling the same as spinning? Also, where did you get your heart rate monitor? I'm thinking about getting one to help keep my HR at an acceptable level to see if that is what is triggering the migraines.

Studio Cycling is the generic name for spinning. When I told my kids that I was going to a spin class they thought I meant twirling, so now I say studio cycling so no one gets confused. I got my HR monitor online, but you can buy them at Sports Authority. My workout partner got her's on sale there for $99. The one we both bought is a Polar F6. It is coded so you don't pick up anyone elses heart rate that is also wearing a HR monitor. It tells you calories burned as well as heart rate.

pmama123 02-18-2009 08:10 AM

Exercise Group!

Hello! This is actual my first time writing on here but I think it is amazing how many people are on here supporting each other! I was a patient at Medi in Orlando and lost my weight and now work for the company. This program truly changed my life!!

I do hate working our by myself honestly, I get soo bored. So our clinic has started a walking group on Wednesday mornings. We meet some of the patients in a park and we all kind of go at our own pace walking or running. It is great because the time goes so fast and we have the support of each other to help give motivation!

If you are in Orlando feel free to contact me and come walk with us! Or I recommend starting a little group in your area to get people motivated.

Good Luck! :high5:

celiamac 02-18-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmama123 (Post 11588084)
Hello! This is actual my first time writing on here but I think it is amazing how many people are on here supporting each other! I was a patient at Medi in Orlando and lost my weight and now work for the company. This program truly changed my life!!

I do hate working our by myself honestly, I get soo bored. So our clinic has started a walking group on Wednesday mornings. We meet some of the patients in a park and we all kind of go at our own pace walking or running. It is great because the time goes so fast and we have the support of each other to help give motivation!

If you are in Orlando feel free to contact me and come walk with us! Or I recommend starting a little group in your area to get people motivated.

Good Luck! :high5:

Yea, another maintenance member. Mcboo we've finally got company to help us welcome those on this board who are soon to come over. Pmama how long have you been on maintenance? Working at the clinic sounds like a great way to make sure you keep it off. Post on the maintenance thread so we can keep that going.

ruthie86 02-18-2009 05:10 PM

First time poster

Hello my name is Ruthie Im starting my 4th week and just wanted to say I do 2 hours of zumba a week and I burn almost 700 calories in one session and its so much fun. You dont feel like your working out!

McBoo 02-18-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthie86 (Post 11590541)
Hello my name is Ruthie Im starting my 4th week and just wanted to say I do 2 hours of zumba a week and I burn almost 700 calories in one session and its so much fun. You dont feel like your working out!

Ruthie,

That's fantastic. Have fun while burning those calories.

:welcome:

McBoo

celiamac 02-19-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthie86 (Post 11590541)

Welcome Ruthie. I am a zumba fan too and I totally agree it is not like exercise at all. I often wish it was a 2 hour class instead of 1 because I am not ready to stop. You can get the dvds cheap on ebay if you want one for home when you can't make class. Celia

McMonkey 02-24-2009 05:18 PM

I just started MWL on 2/22. Have been low carbing for years. Lost the weight, kept it off 6 yrs, stress, deaths, etc... put it back on and can't get it off.
I run. On sundays I do a long run, up to 10 miles. Told my MWL dietician and she told me I could eat 800 cal day on days I do long runs.
I also do weight training.

teacherdli 02-24-2009 07:02 PM

OK- Well I am doing Wii Fit for now. I also teach dance for 2 -3 hours a night 3 nights a week.

Jonpryor99 02-24-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacherdli (Post 11616119)
OK- Well I am doing Wii Fit for now. I also teach dance for 2 -3 hours a night 3 nights a week.

What kind of dance do you teach?

teacherdli 02-25-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonpryor99 (Post 11616467)
What kind of dance do you teach?

I can teach all types of dance (except ballroom/ hip hop), but currrently I teach jazz and acrobatics (gymnastics/dance style).

McBoo 02-25-2009 07:37 PM

I haven't been able to go to the gym for 3 days now because of this bug. My gym actually called me today to see if I was OK.

McBoo

teacherdli 02-25-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBoo (Post 11620868)
I haven't been able to go to the gym for 3 days now because of this bug. My gym actually called me today to see if I was OK.

McBoo

Getting to teach dance the last 3 nights was hard - I just feel drained (and I made myself get on the Wii Fit last night too). Trying to counteract side effects of prednisone. I was up 2 pounds today from it...although I know it's all water. (Yeah, I know don't check the scale during the week...only did so to see how prednisone actually affects. Weighed yesterday & today at same time.) I know I will crash early tomorrow.

Desert-Rose7 03-04-2009 04:42 PM

Hello! I just discovered all the threads for MWL. WOW!
I walk every day for about 1-2 hours, and 3X a week ride the stationary bike (is this now called spinning?) for about 45min to 1hr, when the weather gets a bit warmer I will start swimming again. I also have some good old exercise videos (Buns of Steel) I drag out now and then for extra "emphasis".

I would love to run however a bad knee (from a volleyball injury) makes walking a lot safer.

And sorry for being a dork, but what is zumba?

Jo

celiamac 03-04-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 (Post 11652318)
I walk every day for about 1-2 hours, and 3X a week ride the stationary bike (is this now called spinning?) for about 45min to 1hr, when the weather gets a bit warmer I will start swimming again. I also have some good old exercise videos (Buns of Steel) I drag out now and then for extra "emphasis".

I would love to run however a bad knee (from a volleyball injury) makes walking a lot safer.

Jo

Zumba is an exercise dance class primarily to Latin music.Lots of cha-cha,sumba and even tango. It startd in south fl. and is making its way around the country. Its kind of a Richard Simmons to a Latin beat.
Based on the sweat/heart rate factor my guess is it burns at least 500 calories an hour if you really get into it. The good thing is it is adaptable to those who are just starting a fitness program. If you see a class at your gym you should try it.

SDC2 03-04-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 (Post 11652318)

Jo

Spinning uses a special stationary bike that allows you to stand and ride as well as ride in the saddle. It is also called studio cycling. It is done as a class with an instructor and music. A class typically consists of sprints, hill climbs, jumps, interval training and endurance. Here is a short video of a class... It is a great calorie burner. In a 50 minute class I usually burn about 500 calories. I popped my ACL when I was 10 years old and had 2 knee surgeries by the time I was 20. I haven't had any cartledge (or an ACL) in my right knee for close to 30 years. I suffered from chronic knee pain until I started spinning. Since spinning and losing weight, my knee rarely hurts me at all.
Did I happen to mention it is also alot of fun.

Susie

Desert-Rose7 03-05-2009 06:31 AM

Hi Susie!
Thanks for the video! The bike in our fitness center has the capacity to do all of those things. You can program it for different types of workouts. Beginning slowly and building up while climbing hills and ups and downs and a cool down. Do you absolutely have to take a class or will I be doing just as well with the bike in the fitness center. There is a TV in there, and I take over scenic type videos with me and play those. I am trying to keep costs down.

Jo

SDC2 03-05-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 (Post 11654596)
Hi Susie!
Thanks for the video! The bike in our fitness center has the capacity to do all of those things. You can program it for different types of workouts. Beginning slowly and building up while climbing hills and ups and downs and a cool down. Do you absolutely have to take a class or will I be doing just as well with the bike in the fitness center. There is a TV in there, and I take over scenic type videos with me and play those. I am trying to keep costs down.

Jo

Hi Jo,

I'm not convinced it is the same thing as I don't think you are able to stand and pedal on a standard stationary bike, but that doesn't mean it is any less of a workout. Stick to what works for you and what keeps you motivated to keep it up. As you can tell I am hooked on spinning and it keeps me motivated to keep going, so that is the exercise for me.

Susie

Desert-Rose7 03-05-2009 12:25 PM

Hi Susie,
I will check out the bike later this afternoon and see if I can stand up and pedal. After being "displaced" and looking for a new job, I am really trying to keep costs as low as possible. Once I have the new job, I will check out the spinning classes locally. I have a mountain bike and a cruiser too, and I ride at least once a week, even if it only across the street to pick up SF Jello!

Jo

celiamac 03-06-2009 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 (Post 11656650)
Hi Susie,
I will check out the bike later this afternoon and see if I can stand up and pedal. After being "displaced" and looking for a new job, I am really trying to keep costs as low as possible. Once I have the new job, I will check out the spinning classes locally. I have a mountain bike and a cruiser too, and I ride at least once a week, even if it only across the street to pick up SF Jello!

Jo

Be careful. Spin bikes are made to stand up - most regular stationary bikes are not. While I'm on sabbatical from spinning because I got burned out with it after 12 years, my vote is the class is much more fun than being a lone rider in the cardio room. On the other hand I strongly agree that you should stick with what's working for you.

Fla Diva 03-06-2009 10:47 AM

Hey everyone how is everyone doing me on the other hand in good I went to the clininc yesterday to weigh in and so far I have lost 30lbs I lost 4lbs this week I am so proud of myself because every other diet I have ever tried I have never seen results this fast except when I was on phentermine 37.5mg and I watched what I ate and I worked out alot but of course by 2007 it started putting it all back on by 2008 of january I broke my ankle which had me out of work for a couple months and I got even bigger. I have tried alot of things jenny craig, results weight loss, lipo dissolve shots and so far medi is the best honestly so new comers stick to it you can do it.

McBoo 09-12-2009 05:28 AM

Giving this exercise thread a bump. It hasn't seen the light of day for a long time.

Hope everyone is enjoying their workouts.

McBoo

tracy_d 09-12-2009 06:28 AM

I have been on several different routines since starting my weight loss journey. I used to go to the gym, but got tired of that. I feel like I was looking more at the machines and the time I had left. So I did Wii fit for a while because I like having something to look at while working out, but it got too easy. So, I moved on to the Biggest Loser cardio burn and sculpting DVDs along with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, all of which I love!! But I started to get bored doing the same thing and my weight loss was only .5 to 2 pounds a week.

So I started roller blading within the past two weeks and WOW what a difference!! My weight loss has been 3.5 and 3.2 pounds since starting roller blading! Also I found that it's fun to be outside (even in the Florida heat) feeling the wind on my face. We have a trail in Seminole county that is made for outdoor exercise and it goes for miles and miles!! I can pick it up in different areas with different scenery and some small inclines to get a varied workout. I burn about 600-700 calories in an hour.

I do feel like I should get back into doing some strength training again this week, but my elbows have been bothering me a little from lifting weights that were a little too heavy. So I think I may wait a little longer before picking them up again. I don't want to get tennis elbow again- it's not fun.