Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 04:34 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tracy_d
Stats: 5'7'' 191.5/150.5/150 now on maintenance
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: June 8, 2009
Yesterday I got on the treadmill instead of turning to food when I was upset. I ended up speed walking on it for 50 minutes and burned 500 calories!! It felt a lot better than stuffing my face, although today I have a migraine I think I had some tension in my neck from the incline on the treadmill.

Macauley- Are you still doing your exercise challenge? My 14 YO son has challenged me to see who will have the best abs by Christmas. He is already skinny, so I know he will win, but it has motivated me to tone up my one problem area- my tummy. I see it firming up.

I also noticed a little gain on the scale- 3 pounds. Although, muscle and fat WEIGH THE SAME pound for pound (think about it...a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle) the fat takes up more space. So when people gain weight from building muscle, it's because you are burning the fat from that space and replacing it with muscle which would be more in the same space...make sense??

And speaking of the biggest loser...It has motivated me too!! WOW what great accomplishments those people have made.

Last edited by tracy_d; 12-15-2009 at 04:36 AM..
tracy_d is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DreamWarrior
Stats: 161/161/145
Start Date: 23 Oct 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy_d View Post
Yesterday I got on the treadmill instead of turning to food when I was upset. I ended up speed walking on it for 50 minutes and burned 500 calories!! It felt a lot better than stuffing my face, although today I have a migraine I think I had some tension in my neck from the incline on the treadmill.
That's awesome!! Very encouraging. Thanks for sharing!!
DreamWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nick80
Stats: 6ft 249/175/180
WOE: Mediweight- maintenance
Start Date: October 1, 2009
Quote:

Macauley- Are you still doing your exercise challenge? My 14 YO son has challenged me to see who will have the best abs by Christmas. He is already skinny, so I know he will win, but it has motivated me to tone up my one problem area- my tummy. I see it firming up.

I also noticed a little gain on the scale- 3 pounds. Although, muscle and fat WEIGH THE SAME pound for pound (think about it...a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle) the fat takes up more space. So when people gain weight from building muscle, it's because you are burning the fat from that space and replacing it with muscle which would be more in the same space...make sense??

And speaking of the biggest loser...It has motivated me too!! WOW what great accomplishments those people have made.
Tracy
Thats great!! Keep it up.

I have also noticed weight gain about 4 pounds, but somehow my pant sizes keep getting smaller. I have gone through a new belt every 2 weeks. (forgot how expensive they can be). I went to buy some new pants and I am in between 36/34. I was in shock believe me. So am not sure why I have gained weight and yet managed to drop from a 38 in 3 weeks. Not compalining but I of course WANT to see the scale go down too! My official weigh in is on Monday so I will have to wait till then to know my official weight. Scale at home never matches the Tanita one.

Good job everyone!
Nick80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick80 View Post

I went to buy some new pants and I am in between 36/34.

Good job everyone!
That's awesome Nick!! Congrats!!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Justin1
Stats: 324.5/197/190
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 4/15/09
If I go way off plan for a day or 2, I immediately gain about 6 lbs of water weight...then it takes me literally about 36 hours and I can drop that 6 lbs

it's crazy
Justin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1 View Post
If I go way off plan for a day or 2, I immediately gain about 6 lbs of water weight...then it takes me literally about 36 hours and I can drop that 6 lbs

it's crazy
Justin- I have the same issue.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacee
Stats: -75 since starting over
Start Date: 09-01-2009 restart
I see the different posts here about a bit of weight gain when adding exercise. I've been walking for quite a while, but with colder weather I started doing "Walk Away The Pounds for Abs" and it's a lot more of a workout, of course, than regular walking.

This week I had only lost 3/4 of a lb. in spite of following the plan just right. My average weekly loss is 2 - 3 lbs. So maybe it's an adjustment to the exercise? I started about a week and a half ago, and have only taken 2 days off. About how long did it take for your body to get used to the workouts, and the average weightloss to resume?

Thanks.
jacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Apparently, speed holiday shopping does wonders for weight loss.

With my schedule being soo hectic, I've only been able to Christmas shop during my hour lunch break. With travel to/from the mall being 10 minutes from work, that cuts my shopping time to only 35 minutes, giving me the extra 5 minutes to/from the parking lot.

I went everyday this week to the mall with an attack plan and a list and knew exactly where I had to go.

Needless to say I ran from store to store on some days, and power walked through JCPenny and the rest going from register to register.

The results, I lost 3 pounds this week. Even with the disastrous food choices I made in the beginning of the week.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
WOE: Medi
Start Date: May 5, 2009
Protein uses a lot of water to process - carbs don't - hence the water weight gain when eating higher carbs (it's hanging around waiting for that protein).

I love that I have two weeks off of work so I can go to the gym to work off this extra food I am eating! The score right now - Gym 2 Food 2 much!
Going to make it balanced ASAP : )
NOT2fat4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Macauley- I'm having the same issue. . . food 2 much, so gym more!!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Justin1
Stats: 324.5/197/190
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 4/15/09
this will be my 3rd week of doing my weights 3x per week, and is my new years resolution to keep that going and really focus on improving my body's muscle tone.

i still play tennis at least 3 times a week every week now for about 5 months straight
Justin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

OK Tracy - gym 3 - food 2 1/2... had a great workout and came home and had a cookie...but I didn't have three!
When I am at the gym I always look at the calories burned - even though I know they are not accurate - when it takes me 20 minutes to burn 3 cookies - it puts everything into perspective.
We were visiting some friends and someone commented on my weight loss - then we were talking about how big their dog was getting - then I realized I had lost the weight of the dog - then we all laughed because it was a pretty big dog!
Where was all that weight I asked myself... : )

Way to go Justin - I think we are all going for the tone this year.

Watched the Ironman on TV - that was inspiring!

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it
Old 12-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Ha ha, Macauley- I do the exact same thing with watching the calories burned!! I agree- three cookies is not worth 20 minutes on the treadmill! The strange thing is, I have never really cared much about all those cute little specialty cookies until this year. I'll be glad when it's all over and back to normal routines!

My husband's mother asked what do we want to eat while we are visiting. I said "no pasta" even though my husband LOVES her lasagna. I feel so bad I might have to just let her make it and pick around the noodles. I hate not being in control of my meals!

Last edited by tracy_d; 12-22-2009 at 05:17 AM..
Old 12-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ha ha, Macauley- I do the exact same thing with watching the calories burned!! I agree- three cookies is not worth 20 minutes on the treadmill! The strange thing is, I have never really cared much about all those cute little specialty cookies until this year. I'll be glad when it's all over and back to normal routines!

My husband's mother asked what do we want to eat while we are visiting. I said "no pasta" even though my husband LOVES her lasagna. I feel so bad I might have to just let her make it and pick around the noodles. I hate not being in control of my meals!
I LOVE lasagna too! Had it once since I started medi weight. trying not to succumb again but I am drooling! Have had no chocolate either since I started. I am hoping I will be have reached my goal by end of January the latest! then I have to celebrate with 1 pig out.. or is that terrible of me?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:53 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

The pig out will probably make you feel worse- physically. Every time I have too many carbs I get a migraine and my stomach hurts!

But you can indulge if you have enough self control not to over eat.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Just wanted to share with the rest of the medi exercises.. I managed to add 0.8 miles to my run today which made me proud. I think I could have pushed myself more and gone further but I was thinking that i may injure myself and held back. I was not dying of breath and my running was at a faster pace. I manged to run for 47 minutes straight so I was ecstatic. i had hit a wall not top far back but have basically doubled my time and distance in 3 weeks.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
I LOVE lasagna too! Had it once since I started medi weight. trying not to succumb again but I am drooling! Have had no chocolate either since I started. I am hoping I will be have reached my goal by end of January the latest! then I have to celebrate with 1 pig out.. or is that terrible of me?
Nick,

Please don't pig out. That is the attitude that got us here. Indulge, but do it in moderation. I just wrote in the maintenance thread about the dinner I had last night. I had a glass of red wine and shared a decadent dessert with my husband. Now that I am on maintenance I can indulge occassionally, but not pig out. And I don't have to feel guilty, or worry about getting back on track.

Here's another tip that I have learned while on maintenance... indulge in such a way that your portions are controlled. Don't bring it home and don't do it in a setting where you can go back for seconds. If possible, split the serving with another person. If that is not enough food, order something legal, alongside and split that as well. My poor husband, I make him do this with me all the time. He is a good sport about it though.

Last edited by SDC2; 12-23-2009 at 09:50 AM..
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just wanted to share with the rest of the medi exercises.. I managed to add 0.8 miles to my run today which made me proud. I think I could have pushed myself more and gone further but I was thinking that i may injure myself and held back. I was not dying of breath and my running was at a faster pace. I manged to run for 47 minutes straight so I was ecstatic. i had hit a wall not top far back but have basically doubled my time and distance in 3 weeks.
woo hoo! Good for you Nick! Don't you feel like you just can't get enough exercise now? I could go on and on and on - but eventually my knees start to not like it
Old 12-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
woo hoo! Good for you Nick! Don't you feel like you just can't get enough exercise now? I could go on and on and on - but eventually my knees start to not like it
yes it is amazing. I feel so much better, have energy, actually feel younger (probably because I am not carrying all that extra weight anymore). I am beginning to like what I see in the mirror.

I also want to thank all of you for nudging me to not pig out. It is what got us to where we were in the fisrt place.. dont want to take that road again!!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

That's the way to think Nick!! Sometimes we just need little reminders- that's why I love this group! It is such an inspiration and motivator- even in maintenance. . .

today's workout was tough!- just not in the mood I guess. I watched a movie instead of listening top music and the movie was kinda s-l-o-w. Oh well. I did keep up with it for an hour, but not at the fast pace I've gotten used to.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
yes it is amazing. I feel so much better, have energy, actually feel younger (probably because I am not carrying all that extra weight anymore). I am beginning to like what I see in the mirror.

I also want to thank all of you for nudging me to not pig out. It is what got us to where we were in the fisrt place.. dont want to take that road again!!
Nick,

I am so glad you see the light. The words "pigging out" really got me thinking and I had a recent insight that I want to share. The problem I have with "pigging out", which I used to do all the time, is that it is a behavior and one that is repeated and can easily become a habit. I hope this makes sense.

I love these boards because it makes me really think and analyze why I got into the traps and bad habits that I did and take a more removed and objective look at the behaviors and attitudes that made me fat. Thank you for bringing up this topic.
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Quick question for the exercisers here. I have mainly been doing cardio work and not as much weight lifting as I wanted to get the weight off faster. But now I want to start increasing my weight training but a bit afraid to go there until i reach my goal (only 10 pounds left). In your opinions does it really make a difference as to rate of weight loss (cardio vs weights). Currently I run 3 times a week for about 50 minutes each, gym twice a week for 40 minutes and then 15- 20 mins of treadmill. My question is whether I should do weights for an hour and not do the treadmill on my gym days at all (time constraints so want to keep gym to an hour).

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Hi Nick... you should incorporate weight training into your program. The muscle you build will help you burn fat. At first you'll feel like it's a weight gain, but in truth, your muscles are adapting to the work out, stretching out, and retaining water to help heal the workout (or ripped fiber).

If you're picking up weights for the first time, I really recommend reading Body for Life; the author has an awesome workout program that really does works. It goes through the beginning phase and helps you build up strength and lean muscle.

There are a lot of resources out there on weight training. I highly recommend it. You just have to weed out through the stuff you don’t want/like until you find a routine that works for you.

The recommended workout is three days cardio (45 - 60 min) alternating three days weight training (45 - 60 min). A personal trainer might recommend you divide the three days of weight training into lower body on one day, and upper body on another. A pro lifter will do chest, shoulders, and biceps one day; strictly leg work another day; and back and biceps on the last day (3 days total) with abs done at the end of every work out. Cardio varies on every athlete. Power lifters are naturally very heavy people, and walking is considers a cardio work for them. While body builders thrive on running and aerobics.

Again, it’s up to you and how you feel. Take an hour or two at Borders and skim through the exercise section and flip through the books, a good book will have pictures and a variation of exercises for each body part, and a good workout schedule. Again, I recommend body for life.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Dreamwarrior
Many thanks. Excellent advice. I will start upping my weight training after I peruse the bookstore. I looked up body for life on the net and they have some great tips!

Thanks again
Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Hi All -
Such a bummer - I hurt myself at the gym and not sure how. I was doing my cardio - did 30 minutes on the eliptical and then I went to the treadmill to do a run. I walked for a few minutes, pumped up my music, and started running. After about five minutes or so I had intense pain in my feet so I got off. This last week has been super painful - the outside of my feet have been killing me. It is better now but I sure haven't been at the gym. Never had this happen and not sure what I did. Anybody have this?
All in the outside of the feet - not shin. Shoes are pretty new - thought I might need better arch supports, but I have done this routine lots of times before...sure not doing it right now.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT2fat4fun View Post
All in the outside of the feet - not shin. Shoes are pretty new - thought I might need better arch supports, but I have done this routine lots of times before...sure not doing it right now.
1 - It could be your tendons. You might have to take a brake from running... freeze a bottle of water and roll your foot over the bottle to cool down your arch/bottom of foot, that should help with the pain.

2 - If its not pain transfer (bottom of foot to side of foot) - Id take a look at the inside of your running shoes, you might have too much support and thus squeazing the heck out of either sides of your feet.

I have a normal arch, but because Im a heavy runner (heavy as in weight, not distance) I need shoes with cushion and support and paid a pretty price for my shoes, but they were well worth it. I also had a pro shop fit me for my running shoes - I highly recommend that!

Ive also hurt my tendon (over stretched it) before and needed two full weeks to heal before I could even walk well enough let alone run.

If the pain continues, Id definately see a foot specialist (I forgot what they're called)... good luck, hope you feel better.

Also, are you planning races soon? I have my first race comming up and its been a while... im nervous.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Has anyone used a Fitness Disk? It's by Frank Sepe. I bought one about a month ago watching a late night infomercial on HSN. Used it today...at first I was skeptical but afterward it made me feel lean and like my core muscles were tightening. It was a Christmas gift to myself. Just wondering if anyone has heard of it...used it. It's a new version of the the old twister device from the 1960's!
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: QueenCityDiva
Stats: 5'10" 266/245.4/165
Start Date: Originally 10/09 Restarted 1/10
Saturday I went to dinner at the best Mexican restaurant I have ever been to. It was not pretty - especially when I "sampled" the queso and then ordered DESSERT! OMG the words Pineapple Empanadas were just too much to resist. Immediately after eating them I wanted to throw up. I felt so bad and all I wanted to do was come home and RUN THEM OFF! But I didn't have a treadmill....

SOOOOOO Sunday morning we got up and went to get one! We brought "her" home and I love her so much! I want to name her and wrap a blanket around her so she won't get cold - that's how much I love it! In fact, my husband realized he left the garage door open all night last night and my first words were "is my treadmill ok?"

I'm getting ready to go downstairs, cook my first batch of oopsies and then workout! I'm SO excited!

Pineapple Empanadas coming right OFF!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
QueenCityDiva....I cannot read your entries....they are filled with temptation and to me a lack of resolve. Sorry to be rude, but this is rough and determining to sabatoge yourself is your business...I don't want to be in that company. OUCH! Sorry it's so hard to read, but I wanted to be honest.
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Jennifer - good job on the purchase - I often think it would be great to have something at home but I can't afford it right now. Looking on Craigslist there are sure a lot of secondhand machines that need the love you have for yours : ) - I went with the gym membership instead.
Fit2010 - I am glad you are doing so well on the program and its good that your honest - just a reminder that everyone here is on their own journey with this program.