Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katew1129
Stats: 232/212/130
WOE: Medi-weight loss
Start Date: January 2013
Good thread! I am running (did the Couch to 5k program) every other day. On the days in between I do the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD. I take 1-2 days off per week for rest.
katew1129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshyn141
Stats: 213.2/171.51/150
WOE: Medi Weight-Loss
Start Date: July 28, 2009
My mom's been struggling with weight for years, so I nominated her to be my work out buddy 3 days a week. It helps keep us both accountable.

We walk two nights a week. I'd love to jog, but she has a bad knee and just can't handle it. Not sure how to approach that situation....

On Saturday's we head down to the pool and swim for 30-45 mins. Swimming is a great workout as the water creates some nice resistance and is also good for cardio if you're willing to push yourself. I swam competitively from the time I was 8 all the way through highschool, so it feels great to be back in the pool again!

Last week I went to the store and bought some dance workout video's, so we're going to start throwing those into the mix too! I can't wait!!!!

Loss Since Starting Medi: 41.70 lbs in 14 weeks

Loss Since Changing My Life and My Relationship With Food (7/22/09): 50.5lbs in 15 weeks
Sunshyn141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hudiman
Stats: 5'2" /155/ now at goal 125
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinc
Start Date: April 23, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyn141 View Post
My mom's been struggling with weight for years, so I nominated her to be my work out buddy 3 days a week. It helps keep us both accountable.

We walk two nights a week. I'd love to jog, but she has a bad knee and just can't handle it. Not sure how to approach that situation....

On Saturday's we head down to the pool and swim for 30-45 mins. Swimming is a great workout as the water creates some nice resistance and is also good for cardio if you're willing to push yourself. I swam competitively from the time I was 8 all the way through highschool, so it feels great to be back in the pool again!

Last week I went to the store and bought some dance workout video's, so we're going to start throwing those into the mix too! I can't wait!!!!
Kristen, that is great, you are doing something for yourself to get healthy and also helping your Mom get healthy too. And it is a great way to bond with your mother. I play tennis and golf with my daughter and love every minute of it. Good Job!
hudiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyn141 View Post

Kudos on working out with your Mom. If your Mom has a bad knee, you might want to try spinning (aka studio cycling). You get a great cardio workout and strengthen your leg muscles at the same time. I have had chronic knee pain for years with no cartledge or ACL in my right knee and a torn cartledge in my left knee. Since I've been spinning the knee pain has stopped.
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
WOE: Medi
Start Date: May 5, 2009
hey all - I've been working on my farm all summer and no time or need to go to the gym. Well the weather is changing and I am going to go back to the gym - I mostly do aerobics because I love it - with a little weight lifting for the tone and the bone : )
I'm wondering how it will effect my weight loss - I am pretty fit right now but would like to get in a good burn and do more toning - anyone start with the gym after they started their weight loss?
NOT2fat4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Justin1
Stats: 324.5/197/190
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 4/15/09
I lost 40lbs with no exercise...I had been sedentary for 10 years pretty much and was at ground zero

I joined the gym and started with the cardio and weight training 3 times per week...I did notice slow down but was feeling so good

then I remembered how much I loved playing tennis as a teenager and picked my racket back up...and now thats all I do...2-3 times per week in the FL sun haha...

I am anxious to get to goal so I can start the weights again.
Justin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:30 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the advice on spinning, Susie! I will have to mention it to her. For my birthday this past week my husband, parents, and brother all chipped in to get me an at-home gym system. It's awesome and mom can't wait to get over and try it out too! lol

She does seem to want to do it on one of our current work out nights, though...I differ from that thought in that I would like to add the resistance training in addition to the cardio routine we already have going on. I don't want to drop a day of cardio. I'm afraid it may be too much for her, though...and I certainly don't want to discourage her from continuing on with her weightloss. So we'll see....maybe I'll modify our schedule and do some cardio on my own one night or something.

Anyway...

Justin: Tennis in the summer down here! You must be crazy!!!! lol. Hope you're keeping up on you fluids! (I'm sure you are. )
Old 09-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
~Justin!~You are looking marvelous! Your family must be so proud of you! I know I am!

Exercise?

Well, I walk 3-4 miles every day. Now, back at work, it is the treadmill for an hour (3miles) in the morning 430a-530a. Walk at lunch, about 2000 steps, and a walk in the sunshine when I get home for about an hour. Every other day, it is the stationary bike or the elliptical. And now that the weather is cooling down, and my "all purpose" room is cooler, I can start up with the videos again. I have several Pilates CDs and a Callanetics CD. But my favorite of all time is the original Buns 0f Steel. It is now out on CD and if you all want a tough workout, this is for you. It is an hour long and not easy but very worth it.

I also have a rowing machine here in the house and I use that off and on as well.

You really do not have to spend a great deal of money to workout. It is as easy as walking out your front door and down the street!

Just do it!

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TriMom
Stats: 280.4/198.5/180
Start Date: July 21st, 2009
I never really made the effort to find a workout buddy during previous weight loss chapters in my life. Now, I have a friend who is as committed to me as I am to her. We meet at 5:15am M,T, Th, Fr. We do spinning 2 days and strength/stability 2 days. Friday night, we dance Hip Hop. On the weekend, I run/walk and power yoga. I have a race coming up so, I have been adjusting my normal routine to add more cardio including swimming and outdoor cycling. Wed. is my rest day (usually).

I don't know why I avoided exercise for so long. I feel so weird when/if I miss 2 consecutive days of activity. The benefit of all this activity is that my clinic has upped my calories.....TWICE!

"Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom."
- Marilyn Ferguson
TriMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and I wear a pedometer. I won't go to bed before I hit 5000 steps. For example, on yoga or swim days, I get a great workout, but that is not reflected in my steps....so I walk up and down the stairs a little more or park farther from the yoga studio. On other days, I am usually floating around 10,000 steps!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mommy-2-girls
Stats: 5'9" 299.2/249.2/180
WOE: Medi Weight Loss/Wii Fit/Yoga
Start Date: Restart after pregnancy bedrest: January 5, 2011
I started off using my Wii Fit and then Couch to 5k. The heat is rough down here for outdoor stuff but I usually walk/run at night. Still use my Wii. Today I went to yoga and it was great! I think you have to keep mixing new things in to continue to challenge yourself and keep it fun and interesting.
Mommy-2-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:20 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crobyninc
Stats: 335/243/180
WOE: Low carb and watching calories
Start Date: March 9 2009
I started out walking daily for 30 minutes and barely making a mile, now I walk daily for 45 minutes and cover about 3.5 miles. I have also added 50 sit-ups daily and light toning exercises 3 times a week. Not to mention how much more energy I have in general to do everything else. From cleaning the house, yard work, climbing stairs you name it, it is amazing how much better I feel. I don't feel like I am still so overweight!
crobyninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babyboyst
Stats: 5'11" 238/165/180???
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: April 1st, 2009
I am excited to finally start contributing to this thread! I am a former collegiate athlete, but after my playing days were over I was pretty burnt out from having done it from age 6 - 21. So I would just do what I felt like doing instead of what someone was telling (or yelling!) me to do. With that said, I have lost the 60 pounds on diet alone, and have just now started adding in exercise. I am doing P90x, which I can't believe, but I love it! I have 2 kids under 2 and work full time, so my only option is the morning, which means I get up at 4:40am and do it for 60-90 mins depending which 'day' it is in the program. I don't think I would have been able to do it early on, but I'm enjoying now and would encourage you guys to look in to it. I am doing the 'lean' version, but in the 9 days I've done it, my body fat % has come down 3.5%, so i'm happy to report its working!
2 kids under 2, 16 months apart ~ I haven't sat down in almost 2 years!! Goodbye 240's forever, goodbye 230's forever, goodbye 220's forever, goodbye 210's forever, goodbye 200's forever, goodbye 190's forever, goodbye 180's forever and now GOODBYE 170's forever!!!! (ok that's a lot of goodbyes, I think i'm done now!!)
babyboyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboyst View Post
I am excited to finally start contributing to this thread! I am a former collegiate athlete, but after my playing days were over I was pretty burnt out from having done it from age 6 - 21. So I would just do what I felt like doing instead of what someone was telling (or yelling!) me to do. With that said, I have lost the 60 pounds on diet alone, and have just now started adding in exercise. I am doing P90x, which I can't believe, but I love it! I have 2 kids under 2 and work full time, so my only option is the morning, which means I get up at 4:40am and do it for 60-90 mins depending which 'day' it is in the program. I don't think I would have been able to do it early on, but I'm enjoying now and would encourage you guys to look in to it. I am doing the 'lean' version, but in the 9 days I've done it, my body fat % has come down 3.5%, so i'm happy to report its working!
What is this? I've never heard of it before. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Smog4873
Stats: 225/205/140
WOE: MediWeightloss
Start Date: August 18, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboyst View Post
Several people who work with my husband have done the p90x and seen incredible results. I am not quite ready for it (it's very intense), but I
do the slightly less extreme version called Power 90. It came out before p90x, which is just power 90 extreme. I think we ordered it off of beachbody.com. My kids even do it with me sometimes and enjoy it. It's really a great at-home workout.
Smog4873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:14 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tracy_d
Stats: 5'7'' 191.5/150.5/150 now on maintenance
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: June 8, 2009
I am so addicted to roller blading now that I get upset when I can't go!! It's such a great workout and I don't feel like I am killing myself! Anyone else go roller blading?
tracy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NIKKI21
Stats: 181.4/134.8 Now on Maintenance :0)
WOE: MEDI WEIGHTLOSS CLINICS
Start Date: 12/04/08
Thought I was in somewhat O shape - until last night!
Took a areobic/weight class and boy am I sore! But it is that good sore ya know......
NIKKI21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Have never rollerbladed, and I live on a hill so I am unsure how well that would work...going down would be a breeze(literally), but coming back up...ouch! I walk it every day after work and at a pretty good clip...now that the weather is cooling a bit, I am back to my 11 minute miles. And I am working on knocking that down to about 9 minutes if possible...new little challenge for myself.

I have a personal trainer beginning next week so looking forward to adding in some light weight work and more toning exercises.

I do not go anywhere without my pedometer. Ever. The model I have is an Omron HJ-112. It can be hooked or clipped onto a belt loop or such,but I just pop it into my pocket or tuck it in my bra *TMI*,,,and it tracks every step. It has a 7 day memory. And it tracks aerobic steps, calories burned and total distance. I usually hit 13000-14000 every day now. It seems I take the long way around now to get anywhere when I am walking!

Jo
Old 09-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Went to yoga again today. Different class, different teacher (the freebie class changes each week at the studio I have gone to). I preferred the first one but it was still a good workout.

Beginning Oct 5th, some friends and I are doing a "mommy bootcamp" with a personal trainer. I'm very nervous! We'll have 12 sessions, 2 mornings per week for 6 weeks. I think there are 5 of us doing it. It should be a good kick in the pants towards getting to goal!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Wonderful!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NIKKI21
Stats: 181.4/134.8 Now on Maintenance :0)
WOE: MEDI WEIGHTLOSS CLINICS
Start Date: 12/04/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy-2-girls View Post
Went to yoga again today. Different class, different teacher (the freebie class changes each week at the studio I have gone to). I preferred the first one but it was still a good workout.

Beginning Oct 5th, some friends and I are doing a "mommy bootcamp" with a personal trainer. I'm very nervous! We'll have 12 sessions, 2 mornings per week for 6 weeks. I think there are 5 of us doing it. It should be a good kick in the pants towards getting to goal!
Remember to listen to your body! That one hour class I took last week put me on my butt for a week! Had to resort to muscle relaxers for 2 days.
NIKKI21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:10 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crobyninc
Stats: 335/243/180
WOE: Low carb and watching calories
Start Date: March 9 2009
Jo - you are the Medi version of Paula Deen - she has all kinds of stuff hidden in her bra - you made my day with that post!!!!! Hugs!
crobyninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DreamWarrior
Stats: 161/161/145
Start Date: 23 Oct 09
Newbie Question

Im new to Medi Weight Loss - as a matter of fact - I havent started it yet because Im saving up for it. However, I'm taking conscious efforts into my diet to prepare myself for the intense program.

My question is, if we're limited to 500 calories day, how do the work-outs effect you?

I mean, with weight lifting and P90X and running and all those intense exercises, I always thought you needed a certain amount of calories to keep you energized right thru the workout, right? Is 500 calories enough? Or, does your nutritionist keep your exercise in mind and adjust your calories individually?

Let me know... thanks!
DreamWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

DreamWarrior,
Good question This will be something that the clinic will go over with you, but for many of us, we replace the calories burned on exercise days. The first week, maybe even the 1st 2 weeks, you will be way too tired to exercise but your body adjusts to the lower calorie intake and then you'll feel fine. Exercise is a huge part of Medi and you'll find that the people who are successful in reaching their goal AND maintaining are almost all consistent exercisers. Can't say 100% of them, but everyone on this board is!

GL! It's an awesome program and total lifestyle overhaul
Old 10-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DreamWarrior
Stats: 161/161/145
Start Date: 23 Oct 09
Thanks! I love to walk and have the occassional run - I was curious on how the calories were effected.

I can understand the lifestyle overhaul - I think that's exactly what I need. I started taking notes on my food intake (slow start for the medi program) and my food intake is 64% carbs! Eeek! Bad bagel - bad!
DreamWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Nikki- I ended up not being able to do the bootcamp because they changed the days and they no longer worked for my schedule. However, you're right about listening to your body. I was sore ALL week after the last yoga class. Not good. That particular instructor did a lot of moves that put pressure on my tailbone and although I sat a lot of them out, my broken tailbone did not appreciate it! It was totally sore and inflamed.

I'm going again at the end of this week now that the soreness is gone, but I will go to a different class this time! Live and learn..
Old 10-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: QueenCityDiva
Stats: 5'10" 266/245.4/165
Start Date: Originally 10/09 Restarted 1/10
Danika, GO YOU! We have the P90X program and it is INTENSE! My husband has done it like TWICE and I look forward to being able to do it with him!

Right now I'm running/walking in intervals. I just started, but I'm BUMMED that I won't feel like doing it for the first week or two. I'll ask at the clinic tomorrow and see what they tell me! FINGERS CROSSED!!!
QueenCityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

It is not that you won't feel like exercising in week one, it is more like you may not have the required energy as your body is adjusting to the deletion of sugars and carbs. IF you exercise regularly already, then moderate exercise would be okay. I always have exercised, so for me it was just gearing down a bit for a few days, then back to normal for me. Listen to your clinic and to your body.

Jo
Old 10-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: QueenCityDiva
Stats: 5'10" 266/245.4/165
Start Date: Originally 10/09 Restarted 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
It is not that you won't feel like exercising in week one, it is more like you may not have the required energy as your body is adjusting to the deletion of sugars and carbs. IF you exercise regularly already, then moderate exercise would be okay. I always have exercised, so for me it was just gearing down a bit for a few days, then back to normal for me. Listen to your clinic and to your body.

Jo
Thanks, Jo! That's EXACTLY what the clinic said. They did start me out with 700-800 calories a day because I will be exercising. I don't know what difference that makes, but I'm grateful!
QueenCityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Did Day 1 of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred today.. BIG mistake. I seriously am close to vomiting from the pain. I think I really hurt my back and ab muscles. We are hosting some people tonight in our home but after they leave I'm pretty sure I'm going to take a Vicodin and go to bed. It's that bad.