LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pina
Stats: 123 lbs BMI 20-21 Maintaining since 2005
WOE: Nutritional LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
Newbie saying hello

I've been looking for an active low carb site for some time now and I'm delighted that I've been able to log in to a maintenance group.

As a vigilant weight maintainer for close to 10 years I've tried various plans, most recently the keto/LCHF. You could say I have taken on diet and exercise as a lifetime hobby. My highest weight was 149lb and I'm currently maintaining at 123lb.
I weigh and record all food to keep macros and calories in check. I find it easier to eat "uncluttered meals" for that reason. If I do take a new recipe on board, each ingredient has to be broken down into macros, calories and serving portion size.
Looking forward to chatting here with you.
Pina
Pina is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Pina! Right there with you. I've been maintaining 3 years now and religiously track every morsel that goes into my mouth. I stick to both a carb limit and a calorie limit and I exercise 5 days a week. I only eat things I can identify and I don't eat to fit in or make other people happy. And it's working. Irritates some of my extended family members no end --Thanksgiving sure is fun--but it's not about them, is it?
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSL View Post
Pina! Right there with you. I've been maintaining 3 years now and religiously track every morsel that goes into my mouth. I stick to both a carb limit and a calorie limit and I exercise 5 days a week. I only eat things I can identify and I don't eat to fit in or make other people happy. And it's working. Irritates some of my extended family members no end --Thanksgiving sure is fun--but it's not about them, is it?
Hi Linda .Good to meet up with like-minded maintainers. How do you plan to handle the holday season. Will you stop counting carbs and cals for a few days?
On the ketogenic plan if you go over your carb allowance (mine is <20g per day), it will take 4 days to get back into ketosis. What sort of exercise do you take? I'm do a 20 mins hand weights routine (Bob Harpers) and have a brisk 30 min walk, but only do this 3 times /week .
Pina
Old 11-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Hi Maintainers,
Gee, I hope we all make it though Christmas-NY without any much weight gain but a few strict days after should pull things up.
On a reflective note - I was looking at my past stats ( weights and measurement) and haven't seen too much change all year (123-125 lbs for all the monthly averages).
I guess maintenance is just that, but it looks like we have to watch our eating all the time. I should be used to it now. Just my opinion, but I don't think any one food plan is better than the other when it comes to maintenance or weight loss. It's all about whatever is more personally satisfying/convenient. I know I've tried several over the years. It's all about calories in and calories out. That said, I like HCLF/Keto foods. My favorite breakfast is 50g mixed nuts& seeds, 50g blueberries, 100g Greek yoghurt and 20 ml cream....delicious and no cooking involved. (Sorry about the grams Vs ounces - I'll get a conversion table organised later)

Once the calipers I ordered arrive, I'll have a new toy to play with - the scales have become a little boring The tape measure is a good stand by, but you can cheat with that one .
Better scoot now...have a nice day everyone.
Pina
Old 11-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pina View Post
Hi Linda .Good to meet up with like-minded maintainers. How do you plan to handle the holday season. Will you stop counting carbs and cals for a few days?
On the ketogenic plan if you go over your carb allowance (mine is <20g per day), it will take 4 days to get back into ketosis. What sort of exercise do you take? I'm do a 20 mins hand weights routine (Bob Harpers) and have a brisk 30 min walk, but only do this 3 times /week .
Pina
I handle the holidays like any other day. I log everything I eat in a phone app. I do not cheat with regard to carbs, ever. I can do that pretty easily now since I've learned how to make most things low carb. When we go to the inlaws's house for dinner, we know most of the food will be unsuitable, and frankly I'm not the least tempted by it, so we bring our own LC sides and dessert -- and quite often the "muggles" really like what we bring! As to calories, I will exercise more in order to increase the amount I can eat (yep, I'm the crazy one out jogging Thanksgiving morning). If I go over a little bit I exercise more the next day or ear a bit less. I jog and walk mostly, 5 days a week. I weigh myself daily. As for keto plans -- I never did Atkins, and I've never used Keto sticks. I just keep within a limit of 60 grams per day and never go over 45 per meal. I did that during my weight loss phase and I didn't change that once I got into maintenance. The only thing I've adjusted in maintenance is my calories.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Wonderful to hear you are so dedicated, Linda. Unfortunately Christmas wouldn't be the same without our cocktails. I'm curious to know what your calorie allowance is as mine is 1200.(I'm 62)

By the way, how many regular posters are in maintenance (roughly)?

Last edited by Pina; 11-19-2014 at 12:01 AM..
Old 11-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

My calorie limit these days is 1400. Used to be higher, but I crept up five pounds, then cut back to 1200 and got back to my goal weight. Height makes a difference--I'm 5'7"".

Cocktails you say? What kind? There may be ways to LC those too. Just recently I stumbled across a recipe for LC Mai Tais and they were fantastic. I also make sugar free kahlua. There's no problem with rum, vodka or whiskey either.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSL View Post
My calorie limit these days is 1400. Used to be higher, but I crept up five pounds, then cut back to 1200 and got back to my goal weight. Height makes a difference--I'm 5'7"".

Cocktails you say? What kind? There may be ways to LC those too. Just recently I stumbled across a recipe for LC Mai Tais and they were fantastic. I also make sugar free kahlua. There's no problem with rum, vodka or whiskey either.
Oh yes, Linda height does count. I'd like to be a little taller (5'5"). I'll have to fast for a day to enjoy those yummy cocktails my DH makes at Christmas. This year's speciality will be the Chevy. You place 15ml vodka, 45 ml peach schnaps, 15 ml orange liquer, ice cubes into a shaker and add your 90 ml pineapple juice when shaken.(1 serve). Can you share the LC Mai Tai recipe with me?
By the way, have you any special methods to jump off weight plateaus? I've read about upping cals and also lowering by 250. It's so confusing reading what experts suggest.

Have a nice Friday
Old 11-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Here is the ml -oz conversion for the Chevy
.5 oz vodka
1.5 oz peach schnaps
.5 oz orange liquer
cup of ice
Shake above ingredients well and
top up with 3oz pineapple juice....enjoy

Last edited by Pina; 11-20-2014 at 04:49 PM..
Old 11-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Hello Linda and maintainers,

Well who would have thought the "whoosh effect" would come overnight and reveal a 55.6 kg (123lb) reading on the scales

Perserverence has paid off and I'm now looking at a tiny 1.1kg (almost 2.4lbs) loss over 2 months on this new plan. More important my vitals are much improved:
Two months ago: 87(34") - 67 (26.5") - 89 (35.5") and mid thigh 51 (20")
Now: 85(33.5") - 66(26") - 88.5 (35") and mid thigh 49 (19.2")

Having reached my goal, the challenge now is to maintain.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Well, so much for low carb "friends".
I definitely feel like an outsider here. I will take my enthusiasm and share it elsewhere.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am pretty sure I responded to you on a different thread.
Don't take your marbles and go home, have a little patience.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I am pretty sure I responded to you on a different thread.
Don't take your marbles and go home, have a little patience.
Sorry about my rant and thanks for your support. I've returned
Old 12-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jmh6251
Stats: 183/176/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: May 2014
I've got a ways to go before i can relax and maintain my weight. I'm interested in what you guys have to say about your experiences because I've never been successful. This time will be different, I'm investigating how to maintain my weight before I get there.
jmh6251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/135.4/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Maintenance is a challenge....Im not nearly as diligent..in my recording as you are..

I love the maintenance threads though they don't get much traffic...I think people reach goal ...stay a bit...then go about their lives....Ive been here off and on for a LONG time...and see many return after regaining..myself included..

Im probably an outsider too....but Im ok with that......Im not here all the time...and typically read threads...and post irregularly...I learn by watching....and reading posts by long time maintainers...
Nice to meet you

Last edited by LowCarbedD; 12-11-2014 at 03:36 PM..
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:30 AM   #16
Atkins Ambassador

Gallery: sugarless4life
Stats: 5'3 / 108 pounds / 59 yo / maintaining 12 years
WOE: Lost it with Atkins / RUNNING to keep it off!
Start Date: January 19, 2002 -12 YEARS ON ATKINS
Hi everyone!

After a two year sabbatical from this board, I'm back! Still maintaining, although it gets more difficult as I close in on 60! I am still an active runner so that helps maintenance, but living in Oklahoma where people love to eat is challenging. Around here, portion sizes are as big as the people who eat them!

Looking forward to helping others maintain too!

Betty
sugarless4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Hi popping in. I don't come here as often as I like. I am still maintaining. I always pop in its seems during the holidays as I think that is when I am my weakness. Keeping my weight at my goal is a challenge, more so than losing. I agree...I am already waiting for warmer weather, I miss my walks terribly
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote