LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Unintentionally maintaining

I have been at the same weight for almost four months now. I'm pretty happy about that, and I am not calling it a stall, because I told myself I just wanted to see if I could maintain my weight over the summer. Now, it's hard for me to get back into weight loss mode. I'm tracking carbs and calories, and keeping pretty clean. I'm not terribly excited about kickstarting with a fat fast or egg fast, but I'll do it if necessary. Any other ideas to get things going again? I want to lose 5-10 more pounds.
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I'm not one to offer advice, but perhaps empathy.
You describe my situation.
I am maintaining but I also want to lose some more, somewhere in the same range as you. I seem to have succeeded at Phase 1, but Phase 2 (that last 10 pounds) is elusive.
I am not totally on plan, but mostly -- I'd give myself a B+, but thinking I need to bump up into A- territory. I'll probably never be an A or A+, but I'd like to see some more pounds go before the end of the year.

Last edited by Patience; 09-21-2014 at 08:33 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
You could add some intermittent fasting.

There are many ways to go about it, one of the most popular is eating within a 5-8 hour window each day. I think there is a big thread on a plan called Fast Five. There is an e-book available for free download as a pdf out there on the WWW if you do a search.

Are you exercising? Exercise will "stall" you at first (but you are already maintaining), but then help things pick up after that.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I am considering this one day a week, to start.
I think my best window would be something like 9 - 2.
Or should I try for a couple of days a week?

Alternatively I would consider a fat or an egg fast for a couple of days.

What is likely to be most effective in jump starting some loss?

I know I could probably continue to lose, very slowly as before, if I stayed 100 percent on plan, but as my commitments to do that are coming up a bit short, I am wondering if maybe I should add some diverse strategies to the mix.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart January 2014
I walk for an hour each day, and do a pilates/yoga/hand weights class twice a week, and have for some time.

I will look into the intermittent fasting. Thanks!
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I am considering this one day a week, to start.
I think my best window would be something like 9 - 2.
Or should I try for a couple of days a week?

Alternatively I would consider a fat or an egg fast for a couple of days.

What is likely to be most effective in jump starting some loss?

I know I could probably continue to lose, very slowly as before, if I stayed 100 percent on plan, but as my commitments to do that are coming up a bit short, I am wondering if maybe I should add some diverse strategies to the mix.
Typically people do it every day (or nearly every day), but it couldn't hurt to try one day.

You could try the eating window on any day that you aren't going to find yourself 100% on plan. The fasting period seems to negate some less than optimal food choices.

Say, if you know you are going out to dinner with friends at 6, put off eating until 3, eat something so you aren't famished at dinner time, and wrap up your eating by 8.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gosh, why is it so hard to start?
Force of habit?
Old 10-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tril
If what you're doing is maintaining your weight (that's GREAT news, you've figured it out!) then something needs to change in order to lose more weight. Change your exercise... try increasing the intensity of your workout rather than trying to find more time to exercise longer. Switch up what you're eating, especially if you've been eating the same things over and over. Try different proteins, fats and carbs. Shake up the carbs.. try something new. Check your intake of cheese and nuts. Those can really slow progress. Oh, and be SURE you're drinking enough water. It's necessary for fat metabolizing. Water is not optional! The last pounds take FOREVER to chip off. Be patient... 1/2# a week is not uncommon. And finally... when you are this close there is no room for "treats" or "just one won't hurt". One can mean the difference between losing or not losing. So tighten up your program!
Tril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I hesitate to use this word because it has such a negative reception on this board, but the key is calories. In order to lose weight, we have to be eating at an energy deficit so that our bodies tap into our fat stores for needed energy.

The good news is that you've been doing what is (for me) the most challenging aspect of weight management--maintenance. When we are not either losing or gaining, we are eating at a level that's perfect for our body's needs.

Every individual's energy needs are unique (depending on genetics, age, medical issues, etc.) so it's sometimes difficult to fine that 'sweet spot' where we maintain our weight.

Now all you need to do is lower your calories to continue to lose. Keep in mind that if you feel you would be uncomfortable eating less, then you might consider your present weight to be your goal weight. The level at which we can comfortably maintain is usually best--but only you can know that.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
Curious if you've found a resolution that works for you to get the loss going again?

I've been maintaining for 2 years now and it's not out of the ordinary to go up 5 and down 5, however until NOW it's been pretty easy to control. These past few weeks the trend keeps going up, and when I try to drop the carbs or add a little extra exercise I see no loss......

I might have to resort to something like a fat fast or intermittent fasting to get back down, Right now i'm up 5 lbs and have been this way for a couple weeks. 4 days of induction didn't even help....and that ALWAYS has helped.

Jessica
35yo Wife and Mother of two amazing kids (ages 2 & 4)

Visit my Journal - My So Called Low Carb Life
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:16 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: salman
I have been at the same weight for almost four months now. I'm pretty happy about that, and I am not calling it a stall, because I told myself I just wanted to see if I could maintain my weight over the summer. Now, it's hard for me to get back into weight loss mode. I'm tracking carbs and calories, and keeping pretty clean.