Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Maintain Lane
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Maintainers following LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis?

I'm ~40# from goal, but my mindset is in pre-maintenance. I am viewing what I do now as practicing for maintenance. Even though maintenance is probably 6-9 months away, I want to start getting ready (I think it will be mental as much as food intake).

Currently:

< 18 carbs
~70 protein
~105-110 fat

From playing around with the calculators, I'm anticipating that my maintenance at 135# will be pretty close to my weight loss macros at 180#, possibly with a slight increase in some nutrients, but it will all depend on my ketones.

I have some very specific questions for any LCHF/keto maintainers.
  1. Do you use a blood ketone meter?
  2. If so, what was your target ketone level while losing weight?
  3. What is your target ketone level now?
  4. How often do you test your blood?
  5. Which is more important - blood ketone level or weight?
  6. Do you ever have "carb up" days and how do you accommodate?
  7. Did you follow an Atkins-like approach and add in carbs or protein to find that threshold to stay in desired level of ketosis? (see question #3)

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pforrester
Stats: 156/125.5/125
WOE: LCHF + JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins 2/1/11 - JUDDD 8/9/14
Hi sbarr

I just saw this. I do have a blood ketone meter and used it until I used up all the ketone strips. So I really can't answer your questions at this time. I had been low carbing for some time when I got it and while it was worthwhile to monitor ketones and compare to diet composition I don't think it is necessary or that it really helped increase weight loss. But if you have the strips it will be informative to see how your body responds to various types of food/meals and weight loss. This is good to motivate you to stay low carb. When I was doing it I was usually on the low end of ketosis.

I am just beginning maintenance. I used JUDDD to lose the last 10 lbs after maintaining with LC for two years. I used low/non fat dairy and did not generally indulge in the higher fat foods during this time b/c I realized I would need to lower fat/calories in order to lose that last 10 lbs.

But now I would like to see if I can go back to HFLC while watching calories in order to maintain.

8/9/14 Begin JUDDD ...135.5 --
10/12/14 125.5 lbs BMR1188 TDEE 1425
pforrester is offline   Reply With Quote