Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Maintain Lane (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/maintain-lane/)
-   -   Bye, Bye Maintenance (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/maintain-lane/836346-bye-bye-maintenance.html)

Psmileyf 07-31-2014 06:37 PM

Bye, Bye Maintenance

I have gained 17 lbs but I still have the "I am maintaining" attitude.
So, I have to say goodbye to maintenance and realize I need to get back to the losing mindset!

This is horrible, but I am glad I realized it after 17 pounds and not 47 pounds!

Madmarsha 07-31-2014 07:03 PM

Ha, I am doing the same thing but not because I've gained 17 pounds. In fact, I haven't even reached goal yet. I've been eating basically like I WOULD eat on maintenance, tho, and eating intuitively and have been losing 2 pounds a month. So I've decided that just for the month of August, I will "go on a diet". Meaning I will be severely restricting and limiting and perhaps even counting calories and carbs as sort of an experiment and/or a "shock" to the system. At the end of the month, I will have lost what I lose but will be "going off" the "diet" regardless.

The only way I can deny myself without going off the rails is knowing that there's an end game and exactly when that is. But I know I can do it for a month. I won't be no carb, still, but pretty close. I'm not strictly Atkins but it will be more like an induction-level amount of carbs. Similar to how I am eating, but without the "treats" and the extra little things that I allow now just while I go on living while trying to also lose weight.

At that point, I'll add back in the things that make me able to always stay on the straight and narrow without feeling deprived and then concentrate back on weight lifting and running as we go into fall.

maximumdensity 07-31-2014 08:15 PM

Psmileyf,
it is good that you are paying attention to what your body is doing. I hope you can get to a good place w/o too much trouble :)

Marsha- I think having a time frame can be very helful. When you know there is a change coming in time and know when that is it can make enduring much easier.

Psmileyf 08-01-2014 05:54 AM

Marsha,I started LC 3 years ago on August 1st and decided I would do it for one month, because I could do anything for one month.
So reading your post was really helpful for me this morning. One month of strict low carb starts today for me.

LowCarbedD 08-01-2014 01:23 PM

PSmiley...you will be back to maintenance
quicker than you think!!

Loretta V 08-01-2014 03:04 PM

Madmarsha I like that idea of really digging in for a month's time. I really would like to shed 5 pounds even tho I am at goal. I don't want it to get out of hand.

Surely I can cut back for a month. Thanks for that goal.

Psmileyf 08-01-2014 03:06 PM

Shall we check back into this thread with our progress on our one month goal?

Madmarsha 08-01-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psmileyf (Post 16993110)
Shall we check back into this thread with our progress on our one month goal?

Yes! Especially since I was just about to post how hard Day 1 was already!
I had made myself a batch of "treats" last night that I knew was going right into the freezer and, of course, I had a little taste as I was putting them away (No Grain lemon bars with honey as the sweetener so no bueno for super low carbing). No dark chocolate squares, tho (they go in the freezer for safekeeping, too). There's also fresh blueberries in the house and that's been almost a daily thing the last month.

I know it will get easier. The first step of telling myself no is always a doozy. And I'm up 7 pounds from my low number in 2 days for no discernible reason so that's short-term motivation to get back to my low number .... with the long-term motivation hopefully having lots of new low numbers and being closer to overall goal in one month.

SlowSure 08-02-2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psmileyf (Post 16992107)
I am glad I realized it after 17 pounds and not 47 pounds!

Good catch. :)

I stopped recording my weight for several months towards the end of last year then started again before Christmas to make sure that I didn't start allowing portion or carb creep tho' my weight remained more or less stable. I've been recording daily or alternate day weights since then and it irritates me in some ways but I know that it's currently working to keep me accountable (and it's company for DH who still has approx. 15lbs of body fat to shed).

I'll look forward to seeing you again when you're ready. Good Luck!

Madmarsha 08-02-2014 03:19 PM

Okay, down a little bit of that water weight now so I'm going in the right direction.

If I get through today, I feel like I've got this for the month.

Psmileyf 08-03-2014 12:44 PM

I don't feel very well today. Not much energy and a headache.
I kinda hope it is low carb flu!

RyeBaby 08-03-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psmileyf (Post 16995008)
I don't feel very well today. Not much energy and a headache.
I kinda hope it is low carb flu!

I'll bet you a dollar it is!

Psmileyf 08-05-2014 06:20 AM

I'm down 3 lbs from August 1st!
My weight fluctuates a lot, so I don't know how real it is, but it was nice to be back in the 170's instead of 180s.

LowCarbedD 08-05-2014 08:56 AM

:jumpjoy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psmileyf (Post 16997776)
I'm down 3 lbs from August 1st!
My weight fluctuates a lot, so I don't know how real it is, but it was nice to be back in the 170's instead of 180s.

:high5::high5:..you GOT this!!

Madmarsha 08-05-2014 12:39 PM

Well, still 4 pounds above my lowest weight.

Doing pretty good but still need to tweak. Well, still need to get stricter. Or just be more patient and drink more water.

LowCarbedD 08-05-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmarsha (Post 16998418)
Well, still 4 pounds above my lowest weight.

Doing pretty good but still need to tweak. Well, still need to get stricter. Or just be more patient and drink more water.

You are recovering well Marsha!

TBipp 08-08-2014 12:58 PM

Great posts, everyone! :jumpjoy:

Interesting that we all decided to be on top of our game in August. My motivation (besides gaining a few pounds) was that strict induction and even a fat fast are easier in August--no vacation time and no work travel.

When Autumn arrives, yearnings of comfort food may come on board. Plus, I look better in my big sweaters when I weigh less! Vain, I know. :dunno:

I am back to weighing myself daily which for me, is a must on Maintenance.

Madmarsha 08-08-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBipp (Post 17001668)
Interesting that we all decided to be on top of our game in August. My motivation (besides gaining a few pounds) was that strict induction and even a fat fast are easier in August--no vacation time and no work travel.

When Autumn arrives, yearnings of comfort food may come on board. Plus, I look better in my big sweaters when I weigh less! Vain, I know. :dunno:

I am back to weighing myself daily which for me, is a must on Maintenance.

Think it's kind of a "summer's end" or "back to school" thing? Even if we're not in school or have kids in school, it still kind of feels like a "renewal" time just because of conditioning maybe. I dunno. Just spitballin'.

Altho, here, it's still a LONG time till we get sweater weather.

Def. weigh every ... er, multiple times a day. It actually helps my mindset for the day. It's not the be all and end all mood setter for the day, but it gives me something to think about when I go to eating.

ANYWAY, I am back to my low number!! Yay!!!

CuriousCat 08-11-2014 08:48 AM

I've been doing a strict August also. Great minds and all of that. I'm approaching my maintenance weight goal range that I set in the beginning so I popped down here for some tips and find this.

I got off track a bit with summer time fun and for the first time ever had no loss at all in July so that gave me a heads up. Down 5 lbs already since Aug. 1st and only have 6 lbs to go to my upper goal range. That range may adjust lower as I go but 135 is a normal BMI and 145 is the lowest I've ever maintained as an adult (and not for very long either time sadly) so it seemed reasonable.

LowCarbedD 08-11-2014 09:13 AM

Everyone seems to be doing GREAT!

Psmileyf 08-11-2014 11:52 AM

My weight is 5 lbs up!
But when I look at my feet, they are so swollen that I can't see the veins, so I must have some major water retention going on.

Madmarsha 08-11-2014 07:13 PM

And in 3 days, I am up 8 pounds. Don't get me wrong, I knew it was going to happen. We went out of town and I had some indulgences so I'll be back down again once I get back to clean eating (AND looking forward to going back to how I eat day in, day out).

I haven't noticed much ankle swelling but it's got to be there with all the walking and the heat and not getting my usual water in. Back to basics.

RyeBaby 08-11-2014 10:52 PM

Unfortunately it's the only way to do it, Marsha. But you've got the right attitude!

Madmarsha 08-12-2014 11:16 AM

Down 3 pounds of the water weight overnight. Should be two more days ... or hopefully.

I may be able to handle a few days of pure induction levels but I won't sweat it if I don't. I'm sad for my pool time to end ... since summer is hardly over here ... but I am looking ahead to fall. I anticipate a renewed surge of energy and have a 5K run I hope to do in November to give me focus.

LindaSL 08-12-2014 10:20 PM

Count me in on the fun. I've been maintaining for about 2 1/2 years and was weighing myself daily to avoid nasty surprises. Was doing pretty well but then my scale went bonkers on me. I think it was weighing low, then it croaked entirely, then I got a new one, and discovered I was up 4 pounds from goal. Then I gained another pound. That was in mid-July. My carbs were already low, so I cut my calories by 400, to 1200 per day (net after exercise) and stepped up my exercise routine, running faster and adding more strength training. I find it really annoying being hungry during the day at work and having to give up my snacks, but it's temporary. So far I've lost 2 of the 5 pounds. I hope to get this done by September. Then I'll readjust my daily calories so this doesn't happen again. Sucks to have to lose the same pounds more than once!

Psmileyf 08-13-2014 05:57 AM

I was up 8 lbs this week! I could barely see the veins in my feet- they are so swollen. As of this morning, I am only up 4 lbs. I don't know what is going on, but it is not fun!

RyeBaby 08-14-2014 08:51 PM

So sorry...that just bites. I hate that.

Madmarsha 08-16-2014 12:10 AM

I very easily retain as well. I've tried water pills when I travel (cos that's the worst) but it doesn't work. I am glad to get back to eating as cleanly as possible.

LindaSL 08-16-2014 11:48 PM

Update. First I found out to my delight that my new scale weighs a bit heavy--weighed less at the doctor's office with my clothes on than I did a few hours before, with my clothes off and before eating breakfast. Woo hoo! And as of this morning I've now lost 3.4 pounds out of my goal of 5. Not bad. But getting tired of being hungry most of the time.

Madmarsha 08-17-2014 04:13 PM

Still here keeping on keeping on. Weird mood today. Nothing diet related tho.