LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
ss1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ss1
Stats: 160/137/130-125
Start Date: september 2012
Your maintenance plan

Hi guys! Im just a few pounds away from my goal and have started looking into maintaining. It looks a lot more difficult than losing! At least with losing you had set rules and maintaining it seems like you just got to figure it out yourself. Im actually a little worried, I have been doing very low carb to lose the weight and worried that any slight change will make me gain really fast. But I guess I just have to try different plans and watch carefully how my body reacts. So I was wondering what your plan is! Do you indulge in a cheat meal once a week? Eat the same foods just more? Have a certain carb limit? Im just looking for ideas to try!
ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/139/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
I am not yet at maintenance again..Ive maintained for years at several points...Exercise is my key....eating L/c without much wavering...enabled me to stay stable for years 7-9 yrs....when I let exercising go...and relax my l/c standards...and let one cheat lead to another... then make excuses....then decide that my age and wt are "to be expected" ...

Excuses are just that excuses....
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My maintenance 'plan' for the over 3 years that I've been maintaining is very similar to my weight loss 'plan'--i.e., low-carb eating and calorie control.

When you get to goal, you may discover (as I did) that you basically have to eat as you're doing at that point in order to maintain that weight. You can't return to eating as you did with your 'bigger' body without regaining that body.

Yes, I can allow myself the occasional 'indulgence,' but what I've learned during these years is that those indulgences have to be very, very 'occasional.'

For me, maintenance requires constant vigilance--but in my reading, all the experts agree with this. However, it's definitely worth it!
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, ss1. My maintenance carb level is 25-35g. I have to lower the carbs to 20-25 to lose, and sometimes lower the protein to 50 when I need to lose. Usually, I keep the protein levels within 60-75g. If it is a bit low one day, it naturally goes up the next. If it is too high for a day or too, I then deliberately keep to the lower end of my protein range. If I eat too much fat, I gain weight, and if I skip my walks, or don't sleep well, I gain. Daily Callanetics and yoga, and also balancing exertion and rest are vital for me.

I find maintenance more of a challenge than being in the goal orientation of losing a certain amount. Maintenance for me seems to be little gains and then losing, in short cycles.

----

I have primary and secondary foods, and then a distant tertiary category.

My mainstays:

Roast beef, liver, brains, bone marrow broth, egg yolks, pastured butter and pastured half-&-half, and, brie. (I make yoghurt from the h-&-h, as well as using it in tea.)

I eat a few herbs and greens, which I grow. I use black pepper and sea salt, and potassium salt. Cod liver oil and other supplements help me, too.

-----

I do best with very small meals, such as:

2 eggs with 1 T. butter, and a pinch or two of herbs

one egg and two ounces brie

three yolks mashed in soft butter with black or white pepper

2 ounces roast beef with herbs, and 3 ounces yoghurt

1 1/2 ounces liver, and 3 ounces yoghurt

2 ounces brains, and 3 ounces yoghurt

Secondary foods for me: mackerel, sardines, herring, salmon, green vegs,
heavy cream, cheeses such as Swiss or cheddar, pecans, macadamia nuts, unsweetened baking chocolate. (The hard cheeses could be put in the tertiary category, and the vegs might get moved there, too. )

Some tertiary foods, which are rare: a bite of peas or pickled beets, beef hot dogs or beef bacon

I calculate protein at 1 gram per ounce of cooked meat, 6 grams per egg, 3 per yolk, and calculate carbs at 1 gram per tablespoon of herbs, or ounce of greens, .5 gram per egg yolk, 1.3g per ounce of h-&-h.

I count carbs in all foods, and subtract half the fiber grams.

Hope this is of use to you.

----

I wish you happy, successful maintenance!

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 12-04-2013 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: typing error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SonataArctica
Stats: size 12/size 2 5'1
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/30/2009
My maint. plan is very simplistic. I eat the foods I feel best on-meat, chicken, eggs, full fat dairy, nuts and peanuts. I do not count carbs or calories. (I might be one of the few who can do this).

And yes, once every 2-3 weeks, I have what I call a 'fun' day. It's part of my overall plan so I don't consider it a 'cheat day'. I eat whatever sounds good on that day and then I'm back to lc the very next day with no problems, no cravings, no side effects. This has proven to work for me but it may not work for everyone.

Good luck to you when you reach maintenance!
SonataArctica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
ss1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ss1
Stats: 160/137/130-125
Start Date: september 2012
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate learning from your experiences! At first I freaked out a little thinking there was no way I could control this much everyday as I am doing now, but I know what to eat and what not to eat and what my usual meals are so I think ill be ok. Thanks again for replying! I now know that I should stick to what im doing as close as possible, thanks for saving me time on not regaining weight!
ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
SS1, I wish you happy maintaining. I gain sometimes, and then lose again. For me, the main thing is keeping to my food plan, for good health, happy neurotransmitters, etc.

Have you read Protein Power LifePlan by Dr. Michael and Dr. Mary Dan Eades? I find it a very encouraging book, making LC a delightful lifestyle.

All the best to you.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote