Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Maintain Lane
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maybell
Stats: 144/117/117
WOE: Atkins
Sweet potatoes fruit? Do you eat much of these?

Hi all,

I have been maintaining for years eating barely any fruit or sweet potatoes. I recently had to change my diet to include more fruit and carbs and have cut out all dairy and wheat. I am wondering if any maintainers eat sweet potatoes, fruit etc.? If so how much? I am worried about putting weight back on so am curious how many carbs people are eating on the average.

Thanks!
maybell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
I do not eat much fruit due to the higher carb count, but I do eat berries which are lower. If you need to add other fruit, choose as low as possible & try just one at a time every few days to see their effect. I gained weight when I thought I could add other fruit & ate several higher fruits in one weekend. Everyone is different. It doesn't hurt to experiment until you find what you can & cannot eat. I do not eat sweet potatoes since I try to keep my carbs around 20g/day. I would never eat something that has almost my total daily allowance in one food. I choose foods that are as low as possible.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
When I was maintaining, yes, I ate pretty much any type of whole food without problems. I ate them as part of a balanced meal with fats and protein. I did better with potatoes, winter squash, sprouted grains, legumes/lentils---basically I guess things that are more starchy compared with fruit that is more sugary. Some fruits I found satisfying, some of them left me hungry. Strangely bananas worked far better for me then stone fruits and some others--but I suspect that's because they are starchy and that seems to work for me. So my fruits typically went from one end of the carb scale to the other--berries and bananas, and only small amounts of other types of fruits and not very often. I also did fine with dried fruits but I only ever ate them in very small quantities, again, with a balanced meal including plenty of fat and protein. I think everyone is so different with these kinds of things and like shipshemom said take it slow, experiment and see what works for you!
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 219/142/145 (5'7") age 56
WOE: HCG vlcd 1 April 2, 2014
Start Date: April 1, 2006
I eat sweet potatoes with butter and a low carb shake as a meal. Sometimes twice a week. They don't impact me at all. At night I'll have a bowl of frozen blueberries/plain kefir and when I have them, spiced low carb nuts. It's a delish snack chock full of phytochemicals
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Hi,
I've just switched over to Primal... very close to the way I was eating before, but no grains... just had to drop my oat bran. Anyway, I'm looking to add fruit & yams in too... have been able to add some & also Greek Yogurt with Primal, but I'm proceeding very cautiously.
Intermittent fasting has helped me considerably with the 'hunger' that carbs can cause, very useful tool... I only eat between 10 am & 6 pm... that way I am not 'grazing' while I fix dinner!
I think we all have to work our maintenance very carefully. Hope yours goes well!

DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maybell
Stats: 144/117/117
WOE: Atkins
Thanks to everyone who has replied. I really feel better reading different maintaining plans. I have been eating apples, bananas, strawberries and plums daily without any problems. I did notice my weight went up for a couple of days after I added sweet potatoes in for 3 days in a row. I am slowing down on those but have a feeling that they won't give me much problem once I incorporate them in a little slower. Cutting out dairy has really limited my choices so I am really happy that these new foods aren't causing any weight gain. I was actually down in couple of pounds this morning!
maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
That's terrific! In the primal diet they recommend you eat the starchy foods cautiously... maybe 2-3 times a week. Good going on getting the fruit in!
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote