Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Maintain Lane (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/maintain-lane/)
-   -   Sweet potatoes fruit? Do you eat much of these? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/maintain-lane/814189-sweet-potatoes-fruit-do-you-eat-much-these.html)

maybell 10-07-2013 02:27 PM

Sweet potatoes fruit? Do you eat much of these?

Hi all,

I have been maintaining for years eating barely any fruit or sweet potatoes. I recently had to change my diet to include more fruit and carbs and have cut out all dairy and wheat. I am wondering if any maintainers eat sweet potatoes, fruit etc.? If so how much? I am worried about putting weight back on so am curious how many carbs people are eating on the average.

Thanks!

shipshemom 10-07-2013 07:32 PM

I do not eat much fruit due to the higher carb count, but I do eat berries which are lower. If you need to add other fruit, choose as low as possible & try just one at a time every few days to see their effect. I gained weight when I thought I could add other fruit & ate several higher fruits in one weekend. Everyone is different. It doesn't hurt to experiment until you find what you can & cannot eat. I do not eat sweet potatoes since I try to keep my carbs around 20g/day. I would never eat something that has almost my total daily allowance in one food. I choose foods that are as low as possible.

Teresa123 10-08-2013 06:54 PM

When I was maintaining, yes, I ate pretty much any type of whole food without problems. I ate them as part of a balanced meal with fats and protein. I did better with potatoes, winter squash, sprouted grains, legumes/lentils---basically I guess things that are more starchy compared with fruit that is more sugary. Some fruits I found satisfying, some of them left me hungry. Strangely bananas worked far better for me then stone fruits and some others--but I suspect that's because they are starchy and that seems to work for me. So my fruits typically went from one end of the carb scale to the other--berries and bananas, and only small amounts of other types of fruits and not very often. I also did fine with dried fruits but I only ever ate them in very small quantities, again, with a balanced meal including plenty of fat and protein. I think everyone is so different with these kinds of things and like shipshemom said take it slow, experiment and see what works for you!

Izzysdream 10-17-2013 09:54 PM

I eat sweet potatoes with butter and a low carb shake as a meal. Sometimes twice a week. They don't impact me at all. At night I'll have a bowl of frozen blueberries/plain kefir and when I have them, spiced low carb nuts. It's a delish snack chock full of phytochemicals

DebbyL 10-24-2013 09:43 PM

Hi,
I've just switched over to Primal... very close to the way I was eating before, but no grains... just had to drop my oat bran. Anyway, I'm looking to add fruit & yams in too... have been able to add some & also Greek Yogurt with Primal, but I'm proceeding very cautiously.
Intermittent fasting has helped me considerably with the 'hunger' that carbs can cause, very useful tool... I only eat between 10 am & 6 pm... that way I am not 'grazing' while I fix dinner! :laugh:
I think we all have to work our maintenance very carefully. Hope yours goes well!

maybell 10-24-2013 10:19 PM

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I really feel better reading different maintaining plans. I have been eating apples, bananas, strawberries and plums daily without any problems. I did notice my weight went up for a couple of days after I added sweet potatoes in for 3 days in a row. I am slowing down on those but have a feeling that they won't give me much problem once I incorporate them in a little slower. Cutting out dairy has really limited my choices so I am really happy that these new foods aren't causing any weight gain. I was actually down in couple of pounds this morning!

DebbyL 10-24-2013 10:26 PM

:clap: That's terrific! In the primal diet they recommend you eat the starchy foods cautiously... maybe 2-3 times a week. Good going on getting the fruit in! :up: