Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
Emi
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emi
Stats: 197.3/136.6/135
WOE: HCG Simeon's Protocol
Start Date: R5 1/2012 R6 9/7/2013
Help w/Carb Count

I a currently entering maintenance. I eat low carb and clean and count my calories.. however, I really think maintaining for me is going to revolve around counting my carbs and finding out what carb count I need to be at to maintain.

I am confused on what to count.. net or total? (I understand the difference.. I just don't know which one people are talking about when they say they eat so many carbs a day...).

Also.. what number of carbs (and which one net or total) should I start at to titrate up? And do you put all foods in.. i.e. lettuce? SF gum?

Thanks for any assistance w/this!!!!!
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
I think everyone has a different opinion on net carbs vs total carbs. For me, I go with net because I don't see the point in counting fiber which is basically all I'm deducting for net carbs. That said I guess if someone were sensitive to fiber or super sensitive to carbs maybe total carbs makes sense. I guess that's one everyone has to figure out for themselves!

As far as where to start---it looks like you lost weight using HCG. Have you completed a full P3 yet? If so, I would get a sense of your average carbs per day while in P3 and then use Atkins method of adding 5 carbs per week (OK, haven't read the book in a long time so you might want to check that out!). Stick with the same 'extra' carbs and just eat them 2-3 times a week with a day or two in between when you don't eat them. Basically---you want to take it slow and really watch how your body reacts to the types and amount of carbs you add. It's probably a good idea to read one of the Atkins books and how he outlines adding carbs. I didn't follow it to the letter, but I used his method and it worked well for me.

If you haven't done P3 yet--I would do that first following Simeon's guidelines and make sure you are good and stable before adding in too many carbs.

Congrats on making goal!!
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
I agree w/ Teresa. Maintenance is a lot of trial & error. You just have to try higher carb foods, but keep them healthy. I weigh myself daily in the morning which sets me up for how I can eat for the day. If I'm up a couple pounds, I eat strict, if I'm down, I eat a bit more carbs. I do let myself indulge at times, but get right back to strict eating. No matter how bad the binge, I can't give up & go back to my old eating habits.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big_Al
Stats: Maintaining at 185ish
WOE: VLC (<15g per day)
Start Date: April 2010
Agree ... you need to find what works for you so track and record daily to see what works.

For me, I use net carbs as mentioned, not much reason to count it since it just passes through. But I found that I needed to up my carbs now that I am working out more. So I am now 30-50 carbs rather than my normal <15.
Big_Al is offline   Reply With Quote