Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Maintain Lane
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #241
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have been maintaining my loss for almost 4 years--and it has been more challenging to maintain than it was to lose.

I suggest that anyone who thinks that when they reach goal, their efforts are 'over' and they can eat 'normally' needs to re-think that belief. In my experience, weight management is a lifetime issue, and I need to be even more vigilant now because my body wants to regain the lost weight.

It has been reported (by science) that people like me who were obese their entire lives and then achieve a 'normal' weight simply don't have the same metabolic systems as those who were never overweight. Another woman my age and size who was never overweight can likely eat far more and not gain. Fair? It's just what it is, and I have to deal with the reality of my life, not what I'd like it to be.

I've also read (and found to be true in my situation) that at goal weight a person cannot really eat much more than he/she is eating at the time--i.e., at my goal weight, my 'maintenance' calories were pretty much the same level at which I now eat.

What is difficult is that my 'head' would like to eat more than my body requires, and via hunger cues, my body is trying to get me to eat more, too. Since storing body fat was a good thing in ancient times to insure survival when famines were frequent , our bodies still respond similarly even when our 24-hour supermarkets have eliminated the issue of 'famine.' That is, for the human body, weight loss is considered a negative, and the body is always trying to re-fill those empty fat cells.

That's why the statistics on regaining are so high. Many people who lose weight assume that they can just 'listen to their body' and eat accordingly. They stop tracking and assume they can eat 'normally.' Perhaps some can, especially those who did not have a serious weight problem.

But for people like me, maintenance is an ongoing process that requires discipline and vigilance. That said, being at a 'normal' weight for the first time in my life makes any effort to maintain this weight totally worth it!
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dunginhawk
Congratulations Leo41... Your stats are nothing short of amazing. Truly awesome.
Im definitely nervous about this, being 4 lbs from my goal (and perhaps I can lose 15 more realistically) is hard to consider eating this way forever.
Although since finding the great low carb bread company and some other things its been easier, but I travel 150 days a year, its just not realistic to take a cooler with ice everywhere I go etc.
I HAVE to find that point where I can get to but not cross. I am one of those lucky enough to have a good metabolism, even after putting on 60 lbs , but I am certainly nervous about slipping.
Im really trying to develop a plan that will allow me to indulge a bit when I travel, and eat LC or Low cal at home. I just haven't formed a full fledged plan yet.
thank you and congrats again
dunginhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #243
Senior LCF member

dunginhawk-

I'm retired and now only travel for pleasure, but over the years I think I've discovered how to manage travel (at least for me).

Eating very low carb as I do means that I can manage long stretches without eating, so I try to NOT eat in situations where I know that I cannot get decent, low-carb food. I've done cross-country flights with only an oz. of almonds or a Quest bar, having eaten a good breakfast (which is normally my main meal). On a travel day, I might just have my breakfast, along with a couple of snacks, depending on how long I'm traveling.

I always travel with things like Tanka and/or Quest bars, and I use them for meals as needed (often hotel room breakfast with the coffee maker providing my essential coffee fix). If I get to the hotel late (as I will on my next trip), then I'll have a bar instead of going out for dinner because I know that what I'll really want is a hot shower and a relaxing evening.

I only eat in good restaurants, and I've never had one that would not accommodate my wishes to remove starches or sauces, etc. I really find it rather easy to manage while traveling. For example, while I was still losing, I went on a 2-week cruise to Hawaii, planning to maintain during the trip. I actually lost 2 pounds--and I really didn't deprive myself at all. I just made good choices.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/135.4/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
dunginhawk-

but over the years I think I've discovered how to manage travel (at least for me).

Eating very low carb as I do means that I can manage long stretches without eating, so I try to NOT eat in situations where I know that I cannot get decent, low-carb food. I've done cross-country flights with only an oz. of almonds or a Quest bar, having eaten a good breakfast (which is normally my main meal). On a travel day, I might just have my breakfast, along with a couple of snacks, depending on how long I'm traveling.

I always travel with things like Tanka and/or Quest bars, and I use them for meals as needed (often hotel room breakfast with the coffee maker providing my essential coffee fix). If I get to the hotel late (as I will on my next trip), then I'll have a bar instead of going out for dinner because I know that what I'll really want is a hot shower and a relaxing evening.

I only eat in good restaurants, and I've never had one that would not accommodate my wishes to remove starches or sauces, etc. I really find it rather easy to manage while traveling. For example, while I was still losing, I went on a 2-week cruise to Hawaii, planning to maintain during the trip. I actually lost 2 pounds--and I really didn't deprive myself at all. I just made good choices.
I have travelled all over the world...for business and pleasure..I have literally NEVER had a problem..I preplan, always have Quest Bars...nuts...jerky...etc for ANY trip.....ordering at restaurants...no problem....stop at markets ( amazing ones in Europe) to buy extra supplies..meats...cheeses...veggies...
I drink lots of water....easily available...
I don't ever feel deprived....I eat great stuff...I don't bother with peer pressure...if Im out with work related people..I eat what I eat..they eat what they eat....my goal is to enjoy their company and share LIFE...I don't tend to drink much...it makes eating well more of a challenge...and I want to be PRESENT with the business people...or friends that are with me...
goal made 04.04.14
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

I made it to goal and past today....Ive done this before ..so I am well aware that maintaining is the HARD work to follow..I will lose a few more pounds as I search for my maintenance sweet spot...probably less than 5 under goal...I like the level I am eating at this point...my challenge is continuing the exercise levels....that is what worries me..
Old 04-03-2014, 04:06 AM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbedD View Post
I made it to goal and past today....Ive done this before ..so I am well aware that maintaining is the HARD work to follow..I will lose a few more pounds as I search for my maintenance sweet spot...probably less than 5 under goal...I like the level I am eating at this point...my challenge is continuing the exercise levels....that is what worries me..
HUGE Congrats LowCarbed!! That is so terrific!! Sounds like you are planning the same thing I am, I wanna lose 3 more pounds and then start adding a few more carbs -- but not go crazy like all the OTHER TIMES where I thought I was a "normal carb-eating" person. I was such an idiot!!

Wishing you much success as you continue on your LC WOE journey!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:23 AM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
II am well aware that maintaining is the HARD work to follow..I will lose a few more pounds as I search for my maintenance sweet spot...my challenge is continuing the exercise levels....that is what worries me..
Not to derail this thread but we've been having a maintenance discussion about food intake and exercise on the JUDDD sub-forum: Realities of maintenance
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:45 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have been maintaining my loss for almost 4 years--and it has been more challenging to maintain than it was to lose..............................But for people like me, maintenance is an ongoing process that requires discipline and vigilance. That said, being at a 'normal' weight for the first time in my life makes any effort to maintain this weight totally worth it!

Wow Leo you are such an inspiration to me and I agree completely.

I finally truly believe everything you said -- it's taken me decades to understand all the things you've pointed out, hence the years of yo-yo dieting I've gone through and the pounds I've lost and regained and lost again (100s of them). I'd lose the weight and then think I was a normal carb-eating person and just go off plan -- that was so stupid.

One day I'll be in here too saying, "yep lost the weight and kept it off for x number of years!"

Einstein's definition of stupidity really epitomizes my former "morbidly obese" self:
"Stupidity is repeating the same actions over and over again and expecting a different result."

Well I'm done being stupid and I am going to work hard to keep this weight off because carbs are killers, they kill the best parts of me: my health and my self-esteem.

“This WOE is not a diet,
Old 04-03-2014, 04:47 AM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Not to derail this thread but we've been having a maintenance discussion about food intake and exercise on the JUDDD sub-forum: Realities of maintenance
Thanks SlowSure, I'm gonna go check that out now!

“This WOE is not a diet,
Old 04-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Checking that thread
Old 04-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

The thread was very interesting...I don't do JUDD so some of the posts were irrelevant to me....your articles were great....my experience is similar to the research..the attitudes of the posters, made some lights go on...
Old 04-28-2014, 05:06 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

I did it!! I made goal plus some!

This is the scariest part of this entire journey! Now I need to up my carbs slowly and get to the CCLM portion of this where I find the balance between # daily kcals and # of carbs so that I don't gain/lose weight.

I am mentally and physically up for this challenge! I excited and terrified at the same time!

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
It’s my Salvation, my KEY to being
Healthy, Happy and Thinner!”
Old 04-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Jo..I too need to make some eating adjustments to stop the losing...I ate a small portion of corn on the cob...eh..Its too early in the season..not very tasty so after a few bites I quit..Im at a loss as to what sounds good to add..I did berries last week...nice for a change...
got any ideas???
Old 04-29-2014, 02:38 AM   #254
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Jo..I too need to make some eating adjustments to stop the losing...I ate a small portion of corn on the cob...eh..Its too early in the season..not very tasty so after a few bites I quit..Im at a loss as to what sounds good to add..I did berries last week...nice for a change...
got any ideas???
Don't ask me!!

Seriously, I'm really terrified about this -- I don't want to screw this up. In all the attempts at doing this LC WOE, I have never ever gotten to this point. In all those past attempts, STUPID Jo would go back to eating like "normal carb-eating" people...

I ain't STUPID Jo no more!!!

I'm gonna wait til 1 June. Reason behind that date is, I'm a school teacher, last day of school 23 May -- and I'm stressing out about the end of school (bittersweet, excited about the end but gonna miss the kiddos that are moving on to the HS or moving in general -- I teach on a military base). I don't wanna make any major changes that may have ill effects. So I'll wait until I'm a little less stressed to start playing around with upping the carbs and kcals.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 04-29-2014, 05:09 AM   #255
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Start Date: Jan 2001
It is always safe to add in veggies since the carbs they have also have fiber and vitamins. At least that's my experience. Start with 5 carbs or one veggie a day or week.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:14 AM   #256
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
It is always safe to add in veggies since the carbs they have also have fiber and vitamins. At least that's my experience. Start with 5 carbs or one veggie a day or week.
Thanks MaryMary!! That's my plan to add one veggie to up my daily carbs by 5 and see how I respond to that for several weeks, then do another 5, and so on.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 04-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Mary..I eat a lot of veggies already...a lot of people try sweet potatoes..Im ok with an occasional sweet potato..I think my problem is I like the quantity and composition of my eating...I don't miss anything....as the summer comes along..and my garden ,, fruit trees and grape vines produce...I will naturally increase carbs....organic homegrown fruit is something I don't restrict...and didn't last year either..I eat reasonable quantities and it doesn't cause a binge...so maybe I just need to chill......if I lose a little more it wont hurt..Im at a good weight not overly thin so a couple of pounds wont make much of a difference..

Im trying to remember what I added before when I went into maintenance..LOL..such a problem....!!?? Im really not complaining..
Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Mary and Jo....what veggies are you thinking?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
if you have a food scale, weigh out a serving. I usually make one sweet potato into 4 servings (large ones!) and have them spaced out, usually after or before a workout.

great with butter and cinnamon!! just rooast them in skin with a potato nail. YUM.
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

Ill give it a shot..Emita
Old 04-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Soooo close to joining this group...

Another month or two.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:34 AM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Mary and Jo....what veggies are you thinking?
I'll never be able to do the real starchy veggies like Emita suggested, cause I know me -- they'd probably cause me to crave those toxic poisonous carbs and having portion control issues, I couldn't just do a 1/4 of a sweet potato! But that's me. I'm thinking more on the Level 2 (Week 2) veggies from A '72:

Asparagus, Avocado, Bamboo Shoots, Bean Sprouts, Beet Greens, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chard, Chinese Cabbage, eggplant, Kale, Mushrooms, Onions, Peppers, Sauerkraut, Snow Pea Pods, Spinach, String Beans, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Water Chestnuts and Zucchini Squash.

Of course, I'm going to continue to weigh my portions and calculate every single carbs -- but I'm good with that since this is a life-long habit for me and more importantly, I REFUSE to REGAIN!

Anyhow... here's something I want you all to think about:

The scientific law of conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created nor destroyed.

Are all these pounds of fat that we've lost and continue to lose lurking in someone's closet?

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 04-30-2014, 03:36 AM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Soooo close to joining this group...

Another month or two.
Imma over here cheering you on nikki!!!! You can do it!!!!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 AM   #264
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Start Date: Jan 2001
JustJo, I would eat those veggies too. I leave the really starchy ones for others.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #265
Senior LCF member

Going on 4 years of maintenance, I can tell you that the challenges never cease for me. I've read that we never lose our fat cells, that they are emptied, but the body wants to re-fill them. I can attest to that. My body would LOVE to regain my lost weight, and I find that any 'dietary indiscretion' (my endo's great term) will lead to a higher scale number almost immediately.

Maintaining my weight is a challenge because I really am 'fighting' my body. But I refuse to regain!

Fortunately, I love eating low carb and counting calories (a necessity for me) is no problem, just an ordinary part of my menu planning. Establishing the 'habit' of weight maintenance is important, IMO.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:15 AM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I've read that we never lose our fat cells, that they are emptied, but the body wants to re-fill them. I can attest to that. My body would LOVE to regain my lost weight, and I find that any 'dietary indiscretion' (my endo's great term) will lead to a higher scale number almost immediately.

Fortunately, I love eating low carb and counting calories (a necessity for me) is no problem, just an ordinary part of my menu planning. Establishing the 'habit' of weight maintenance is important, IMO.
I heard that too Leo, and the only way to get rid of them is liposuction.

You said you count kcals as well as carbs, can you share how many you do a day or have you already posted that and I've missed it?

I agree completely with the "habit" of weight maintenance being important or I'm going to be "Fat" Jo again and I've locked her in the closet and she's not coming out -- EVER!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 04-30-2014, 05:26 AM   #267
Senior LCF member

Jo-
My calories are unusually low because in addition to being 72 (post-menopausal) and hypothyroid, my endo believes that I have what he terms a 'genetically slow metabolism.' I estimate that I maintain at no more than 1,100 cal a day--probably more like 1,000.

In order to do that, I cycle calories with low days. It's sort of like JUDDD (on which I lost my last 100 lbs), but my own version as I don't strictly alternate and often change my 'low' days, depending on my workouts.

I am also very carb sensitive, so I eat very low carb.

When I first began introducing some 'treat' foods (like nut butters), I tended to go overboard and that led to some binge behavior. I got that under control and am again beginning to introduce an occasional treat. Too many things are 'trigger' foods for me, so I need to be careful.

I refuse to regain, and maintaining my weight is a very high priority. I spent a lifetime morbidly obese and will never go there again.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:10 AM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Jo-
My calories are unusually low because in addition to being 72 (post-menopausal) and hypothyroid, my endo believes that I have what he terms a 'genetically slow metabolism.' I estimate that I maintain at no more than 1,100 cal a day--probably more like 1,000.

In order to do that, I cycle calories with low days. It's sort of like JUDDD (on which I lost my last 100 lbs), but my own version as I don't strictly alternate and often change my 'low' days, depending on my workouts.

I am also very carb sensitive, so I eat very low carb.

When I first began introducing some 'treat' foods (like nut butters), I tended to go overboard and that led to some binge behavior. I got that under control and am again beginning to introduce an occasional treat. Too many things are 'trigger' foods for me, so I need to be careful.

I refuse to regain, and maintaining my weight is a very high priority. I spent a lifetime morbidly obese and will never go there again.

WOW you sound exactly like me!!!

I too am post-menopausal - at 55. I know I have the metabolism of a corpse. I have no more than 1000-1400 kcals a day (cycling like you do -- I don't do it intentionally, it's just the way my protein meal works out, i.e., chicken one day, fish the next, etc). I have portion control issues (hence being morbidly obese my entire life) and I'm currently at 11 carbs a day.

I exercise (not sweating bullets, mind you) about 2-3 hours a day on a stationary bike where I am currently posting this. I also weight train 3x a week and walk 3+ miles a day (because I'm a school teacher and I never sit down!!)

There are some foods I too will never be able to have because I know they will "trigger" the cravings for those toxic, poisonous carbs. I never "try" to imitate those foods either because I'm afraid they will also trigger the cravings. I'm really okay with that. I love what I'm eating, others would find it boring, but like the quote by Franklin says: "Eat to Live NOT Live to Eat."

I've worked too dang hard to get where I am today to let anything or anyone (FAT Jo) stop me from continuing my journey. I REFUSE to REGAIN.

I feel that you and I have a unique connection because of our similar LC WOE that I don't have with many others in here.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 04-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #269
Senior LCF member

I don't exercise as much as you do. I move as much as possible and strength train just 2x a week. I would love to walk, but my bad knees and ankle make that difficult.

I used to swim laps, but shoulder injury forced me to quit (doctor told me to avoid overhead movements long term).

At age 72, I try to do enough to be healthy, but I don't really think it helps maintain my weight. For example, several times during weight loss, I had surgery and could do no exercise for a month at a time, and I lost the same as when I was exercising.

Mark Sisson warns against what he calls "chronic cardio" and argues that too much exercise can do more harm than good to the body. I hope he's right because it makes me feel better about my limited exercise.

Last edited by Leo41; 04-30-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Old 05-01-2014, 01:59 AM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I don't exercise as much as you do. I move as much as possible and strength train just 2x a week. I would love to walk, but my bad knees and ankle make that difficult.

I used to swim laps, but shoulder injury forced me to quit (doctor told me to avoid overhead movements long term).

At age 72, I try to do enough to be healthy, but I don't really think it helps maintain my weight. For example, several times during weight loss, I had surgery and could do no exercise for a month at a time, and I lost the same as when I was exercising.

Mark Sisson warns against what he calls "chronic cardio" and argues that too much exercise can do more harm than good to the body. I hope he's right because it makes me feel better about my limited exercise.

I agree 100% about the exercise thing. I've lost tons of weight in the past without exercising and I've known plenty of people that have lost weight without a minute of exercising -- I'm sure you have too.

Let's face it, you'd have to be a world class athlete training 8 hour or more a day to really impact your weight. I'm not saying it doesn't help -- but it's like the cherry on top. I only exercise because I have varicose veins real bad in my legs and cycling really helps relieve the pain.

“This WOE is not a Diet,