Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
weight gain... I agree with previous commenters - lots of whole grain and fat.

Cheese and eggs are always good but might not help with wweight gain. I found nut butters to be an easy weight gain strategy: extra PB sandwich daily helped pack on pounds.

Last edited by Emita; 02-25-2014 at 11:40 AM..
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #212
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 154
Start Date: Jan 2001
He is using the nut butters. He was already eat at least 3 fruits a day. Grains at every meals, beans, nuts and seeds. So he is concentrating on the nut butters.

My birthday today. I get to apply for spousal benefits in SocSec this week.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Happy Happy Birthday Mary!!
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
My birthday today. I get to apply for spousal benefits in SocSec this week.
and many happy returns of the day.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #215
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 154
Start Date: Jan 2001
Thanks everyone
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/137.4/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
How long have you all been maintaining?
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbedD View Post
How long have you all been maintaining?
Well, depends on where you mark things, but I started thinking I was done in September, I think. I've settled ino a slightly lower weight since then.

My newest strategy is trying to start moving some foods or meals and some exercise off of the "track and count" zone. Tricky.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:24 AM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Well, depends on where you mark things, but I started thinking I was done in September, I think. I've settled ino a slightly lower weight since then.

My newest strategy is trying to start moving some foods or meals and some exercise off of the "track and count" zone. Tricky.
Hey Martha, what do you mean by moving some foods or meals and some exercise off of the "track and count" zone?

I'm 3 pounds to my personal goal and I am terrified to change my eating plan (especially to up the carbs because I sabotage myself every time...). This has always been my biggest problem, add carbs, get the cravings and then the @#it hits the fan and most of you know the rest of the story...
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #219
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
@just jo: I find I only sabotage myself with certain foods, not just upping my net carbs. I only get over-eating cravings from specific things, namely peanuts, nut butter, and apples. D: Sad cause I love all of them and a combination thereof!

don't be afraid, start by increasing veggie portions and continue to have fat with your carbs.
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
Hey Martha, what do you mean by moving some foods or meals and some exercise off of the "track and count" zone?

I'm 3 pounds to my personal goal and I am terrified to change my eating plan (especially to up the carbs because I sabotage myself every time...). This has always been my biggest problem, add carbs, get the cravings and then the @#it hits the fan and most of you know the rest of the story...
I'm scared, too. I mean that I treat blackberries, salad greens, dill pickles, and sauerkraut, for example, as "free" foods, so that I can eat *something* without the bother of writing it down. And I decided to increase my activity like climbing stairs and walking but don't write that down either.

I just don't trust my appetite to shut itself off in time, but I don't want to track every bite forever, either.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:31 AM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emita View Post
@just jo: I find I only sabotage myself with certain foods, not just upping my net carbs. I only get over-eating cravings from specific things, namely peanuts, nut butter, and apples. D: Sad cause I love all of them and a combination thereof!

don't be afraid, start by increasing veggie portions and continue to have fat with your carbs.
Thanks for the advice Emita. I don't plan to ever eat those toxic killer carbs that are the bane of my existence (i.e., refined white sugar, flour, potatoes, etc). So I will increase my "legal" veggies slowly. I really don't miss the carbs. I don't do nuts or cheese, they stall me and make me feel like yuck when I do eat them.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:37 AM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm scared, too. I mean that I treat blackberries, salad greens, dill pickles, and sauerkraut, for example, as "free" foods, so that I can eat *something* without the bother of writing it down. And I decided to increase my activity like climbing stairs and walking but don't write that down either.

I just don't trust my appetite to shut itself off in time, but I don't want to track every bite forever, either.
Hey Martha, I'm the opposite, I don't have a problem keeping track, it keeps me "honest" with myself. It's so easy for me to say "free food" and then get out of control. I know I also have a portion-control issue so writing everything down helps me get the real picture.

BTW, I love this place and all of your help and advice -- people that aren't in to this WOE are clueless. You all help me to stay motivated!! THANK YOU!!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

I have 3 lbs to go....I am trying to focus on establishing long term eating patterns...and consistent exercise habits.....Ive maintained for up to 9 yrs...what undoes me is carb slippage and stopping exercise... its humbling to have to refocus and reestablish good patterns after regaining..sigh
Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #224
Senior LCF Member

What has been your biggest challenges of maintaining?
Old 03-08-2014, 02:19 AM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
What has been your biggest challenges of maintaining?
I've lost literally hundreds of pounds over the years doing this WOE but back then I thought that once I lost all the weight I wanted, I could eat like other people (all those carbs). Of course, I was wrong and years of yo-yo dieting followed. (Einstein said something to the effect of "the definition of insanity is repeating the same actions over and over and expecting a different result.)

This time around I know that this is not a "diet" and I will have to watch for carbs. I am programming myself (saying to myself) I am allergic to carbs and they will kill me -- NOT literally kill me but kill the best parts of me, my health and my self-esteem. I am so inspired that I wrote my own personal quote (see below) that I have on my frig and I read it everyday.

I also use to box up my "fat clothes" for later and this time around I realized that if I do that I am giving myself PERMISSION to FAIL. Holy Hannah, how insane is that? So the local charity thrift store has benefited greatly from size 24 down to my last donation of size 8s.

Okay so I am not an old pro at the maintaining part YET, but I will be!

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”

Last edited by Just Jo; 03-08-2014 at 02:25 AM..
Old 03-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I've lost literally hundreds of pounds over the years doing this WOE but back then I thought that once I lost all the weight I wanted, I could eat like other people (all those carbs). Of course, I was wrong and years of yo-yo dieting followed. (Einstein said something to the effect of "the definition of insanity is repeating the same actions over and over and expecting a different result.)

This time around I know that this is not a "diet" and I will have to watch for carbs. I am programming myself (saying to myself) I am allergic to carbs and they will kill me -- NOT literally kill me but kill the best parts of me, my health and my self-esteem. I am so inspired that I wrote my own personal quote (see below) that I have on my frig and I read it everyday.

I also use to box up my "fat clothes" for later and this time around I realized that if I do that I am giving myself PERMISSION to FAIL. Holy Hannah, how insane is that? So the local charity thrift store has benefited greatly from size 24 down to my last donation of size 8s.

Okay so I am not an old pro at the maintaining part YET, but I will be!

“This WOE is not a diet,
I agree...it concerns me when I see posters talk about returning to "regular" eating .....Ive watched for years...people make goal....then disappear...then some reappear having gained some or all ( Im one of those)..the story is the same....carb slide....exercise goes for those who exercise..regain..starts with simple small additions of carbs...then a slide into disaster
Old 03-09-2014, 03:15 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I agree...it concerns me when I see posters talk about returning to "regular" eating .....Ive watched for years...people make goal....then disappear...then some reappear having gained some or all ( Im one of those)..the story is the same....carb slide....exercise goes for those who exercise..regain..starts with simple small additions of carbs...then a slide into disaster

You just described the story of my adult life with all the yo-yoing dieting (all on Atkins '72). Atkins '72 has never FAILED me once since 1978 -- but I FAILED to follow the rest of the plan every single time I've ever lost the weight.

This time it will be different! I am not an emotional eater, so I can't blame it on emotions or stress. I just have to stay in control because now I am Eating to Live, Not Living to Eat!!

“This WOE is not a diet,

Last edited by Just Jo; 03-09-2014 at 03:17 AM..
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Jo..Im so there... when I did maintain for years I was diligent...not obsessed..but diligent...I "got" it....I ate what I ate....and nothing derailed me..BTW Ive done this so long..I don't even have carb pushers in my life....everyone just knows I don't do them ( so I embarass myself when I do compromise in front of them)....exercise is and always has been my "marker"....I want to eat well when Im active and exercise....this time Im working not so much to focus on goal but on lifestyle!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Well, here is a twist on the maintenance issue. I have been a few pounds below my goal weight for some months now, and have been raising the bar a bit on my workouts, both cardio and weights, plus walking and yoga on easy days. Keeping the focus on the same calorie and carb goal, though, definitely in Atkins maintenance territory and spending a fair amount of time in ketosis. Also doing some IF. Body fat % somewhere between 17 and 19%, probably, but with plenty of new muscle, and I don't look emaciated at all. But then I started having really serious cravings at night, waking me up out of a sound sleep, plus more exhaustion than I could really account for. Weight pretty stable through all this. And so I did a little research, and I was sounding like someone without enough leptin, which is a hormone that produces satiety and is secreted by fat cells. And it occurred to me that considering where I was with my weight, I couldn't keep acting like a person with unlimited fat stores to draw on while keeping calories and carbs below maintenance levels and working out a lot. So I am moving (I assume temporarily and/or occasionally) up another level on the Atkins/Primal maintenance scales. No bread, no sugar, nothing like that, but a couple days of careful, measured increases in carbs by way of fruit and vegetables, some beans. And watching the scale. Wish me luck. This is not the food I've been craving. What I want, most of the time, is either cheese or nuts. Something salty, with fat and protein. But the advice I got was that I would probably regain my old equilibrium by eating above maintenance and substituting some carb calories for some fat for a couple of days. It seems to have worked. Today I was back to my regular maintenance routine but am satisfied at the end of the day leaving a final small meal on the table (so to speak) -- am comfortable and calm and don't need any more. (Am hoping that a bedtime cup of warm chicken broth will help me sleep and that I won't have any more of these panicky midnight cravings.)

So I'm just saying that my body seems to have its own agenda right now. And it's possible that a successful low-carb year has put me in a new place physically that I need to adapt to. All theoretical at this point. But it may be that not every food craving is the result of too many carbs.

Last edited by martha; 03-09-2014 at 08:08 PM..
Old 03-10-2014, 03:54 AM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Jo..Im so there... when I did maintain for years I was diligent...not obsessed..but diligent...I "got" it....I ate what I ate....and nothing derailed me..BTW Ive done this so long..I don't even have carb pushers in my life....everyone just knows I don't do them ( so I embarass myself when I do compromise in front of them)....exercise is and always has been my "marker"....I want to eat well when Im active and exercise....this time Im working not so much to focus on goal but on lifestyle!!!

Hey LowCarbed, I call this WOL as well as WOE. I too have been doing this for years that I know what are toxic poisons (carbs) to me and what aren't without having to think (it's second nature).

Holy Hannah! I woke up this morning and lost 3 more pounds!!! So now I have to seriously think about my maintaining strategy and I think I've come up with a good one. So help me out if you see any downfalls:

My new goal is to lose 3-5 more pounds. I call them my "carb experiment cushion". Then start adding 5 carbs a day for 2 weeks and monitor the results. Then add 5 more carbs daily for 2 weeks, etc. until I get to my CCL. In all the years I've done A'72, I never went to the next level of figuring that out -- but I will this time with careful experimentation and accurate data!!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well, here is a twist on the maintenance issue....

So I'm just saying that my body seems to have its own agenda right now. And it's possible that a successful low-carb year has put me in a new place physically that I need to adapt to. All theoretical at this point. But it may be that not every food craving is the result of too many carbs.
Genuinely interesting turn of events for you It makes some sense that your body might be requesting some additional exogenous fuel for its workouts now that its perception is that your personal reserves a running a tad low.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My maintenance news.

I had a DXA scan last week and I'm still by the results so I won't be able to write it up for a while.

The results indicate that I've lost enough of my muscle mass and power to meet the (several) international definitions of sarcopenia - I've less than a notional Everywoman who is 30+yrs older than I am.

I got the rote lecture to lose weight and exercise more. Currently, I weigh 53kgs at 164.5cms (117lbs at 5'4+) and kayak 4 days a week, walk approx. 5 miles in the course of my day, and weight train at the gym.

I did ask how much weight the HCP recommended that I should lose and how should I do it without running the risk of losing more lean body mass but there wasn't really an answer. But she did stress the importance of trying to walk for 20mins a day. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

With all of the odd news about protein last week, I wouldn't know whether to reduce my protein intake (I'm just into the middle-age bracket of people who should reduce it), increase it in the hope of adding to my scant amount of muscle or leave well alone.

As it is, I've no idea if I should modify my WOE which is why I need to think for a few more days.

Nov 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
My maintenance news.

I had a DXA scan last week and I'm still by the results so I won't be able to write it up for a while.

The results indicate that I've lost enough of my muscle mass and power to meet the (several) international definitions of sarcopenia - I've less than a notional Everywoman who is 30+yrs older than I am.

I got the rote lecture to lose weight and exercise more. Currently, I weigh 53kgs at 164.5cms (117lbs at 5'4+) and kayak 4 days a week, walk approx. 5 miles in the course of my day, and weight train at the gym.

I did ask how much weight the HCP recommended that I should lose and how should I do it without running the risk of losing more lean body mass but there wasn't really an answer. But she did stress the importance of trying to walk for 20mins a day. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

With all of the odd news about protein last week, I wouldn't know whether to reduce my protein intake (I'm just into the middle-age bracket of people who should reduce it), increase it in the hope of adding to my scant amount of muscle or leave well alone.

As it is, I've no idea if I should modify my WOE which is why I need to think for a few more days.
That has to be frustrating, especially the canned lecture! This is someone who is just looking at the script and not at you. It sounds to me like you need to talk to another doctor. What a silly response. Doctors generally disappoint me.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

SlowSure, one more comment. We are similar in age and in amount of weight lost, as well as current BMI, so I naturally empathize and hope you can get some good advice and support. But maybe -- pure maybe, because I don't know and I know perfectly well that I don't know -- that once we get done with the weight loss, adjustments are called for. I don't know how much protein you're eating, or what the news is you're referring to about protein -- I haven't seen it -- but I hope you'll continue to post updates here. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Hey LowCarbed, I call this WOL as well as WOE. I too have been doing this for years that I know what are toxic poisons (carbs) to me and what aren't without having to think (it's second nature).

Holy Hannah! I woke up this morning and lost 3 more pounds!!! So now I have to seriously think about my maintaining strategy and I think I've come up with a good one. So help me out if you see any downfalls:

My new goal is to lose 3-5 more pounds. I call them my "carb experiment cushion". Then start adding 5 carbs a day for 2 weeks and monitor the results. Then add 5 more carbs daily for 2 weeks, etc. until I get to my CCL. In all the years I've done A'72, I never went to the next level of figuring that out -- but I will this time with careful experimentation and accurate data!!
3lbs!!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:00 AM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
3lbs!!!!
Thanks! Now to work on keeping the weight off...hence my lurking in here, to see what has worked and not worked for others. Everyone's story is so inspirational.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #237
Senior LCF Member

I finally made it to 90% of GOAL!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2014, 04:52 AM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I finally made it to 90% of GOAL!!!!!!!!!

*Doing the happy-happy dance for LowCaredD* That is so awesome, CONGRATS LowCarbed!!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
Old 03-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dunginhawk
61 lbs down, 4 to go. anyone else get to or close to goal and become anxious and terrified?
that's me.
Never been heavy my whole life til 4 years ago it started happening. finally got sick of it, jan 2 I started and have been hardcore (like I tackle everything in life, 100% or 0%). now that im reaching where I want to be, im scared.
dunginhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Im nervous......maintaining is much more difficult than losing....it takes focus....and diligence and accountability.. ask those who lost and regained, what happened..it's eye opening...most people focus on losing....I suggest you asking long time maintainers..what their secret is..its eye-opening too.