Old 02-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Hi martha, It used to be for me that eating was my first reaction to life. it is the reason I switched to a more structured approach, eating 3 meals a day so my body can feel true hunger and not what is called toxic hunger. Now that I am on maintenance i eat everything except grains and sugars, alcohol and most beans excepy soy. So that leaves me with fruits, veggies,soy products like soy tempeh, tofu, soymilk, TVP. It is the highest bean for protein and I am not allergic. I stopped eating meat, eggs, and dairy 90 days ago today. One expression that I really like is "Keep food in one hald and life in the other and don't clap." If we eat our meals when it is meal time and live life in between, life is grand. No guilt over binges or feeling bad. One day at a time.
Wow! If I cut out dairy, meat, and eggs, I would be depressed (at least at first). I have a huge red meat and cheese craving very often, and it seems to satisfy me better than anything else.

I agree with the sentiment of living life separate from focusing on food.. when you suffer from a poor relationship with food it's easy to get overzealous to both extremes, you know? I've always loved good food and our family holidays centered around our meal (easter, xmas, thanksgiving, mothers day) so I now find that I am quite greedy and selfish about my food...

I do have a great interest in nutrition and cooking, so low-carbing has made it a healthier past-time and rekindled my interest in kitchen experiments! I do have to remind myself not to get obsessed with food, though.

How do you feel now that you're vegetarian? Emotionally, physically? Is it hard to maintain LC with such restrictions? Did you do it for health or personal reasons? I'm very impressed with your resolve! I've been trying to avoid non-fermented soy (everything buy traditional soy sauce, tempeh, natto, etc) because of the health problems associated with it which Jeniffer Eloff brought to my attention. It's a shame because the protein and fiber content make it look so attractive on paper, especially to low-carbers, and I love dry-roasted edamame!
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #183
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hi Emita, I did a typical Atkins low carb for 3 years (2001-2003) then in 2004 I found what was described as a structured low carb program and followed it. It was still in the Atkins realm but at the upper end of low carb because I ate lots of veggies and a fruit for the next 10 years. It took 3 of those years to lose the rest of that weight. Aside from a blip in 2011 I have been maintaining this weight loss since 2006. Last year, however, when my husband had surgery, his doctors asked me if I could help him do a low fat diet. I told them I could if that's what they wanted. As I was reading books for him, I started to realize there was some benefits for him. His incision finally healed after 6 weeks. I began experimenting with a meatless meal every so often. That went on for the next couple months, then 3 months ago, I jumped off the cliff and basically told myself I would give a vegan plan 100% try. I don't do lowfat or grains & sugars and the carbs I get are from fruit, veggies (raw and cooked) and yes soybeans. There are many articles about the pros and cons of soy. It is ok to have fermented soy, like tempeh, miso, tofu, milk, and I don't do natto. I do occasionally have a bit of TVP and soynut butter. So I came to grips with my food plan by just switching my protein choices over vegan proteins.

I have been tracking my intake and I get about 100-120 grams protein a day much coming from veggies and fruit. I get about 75 grams fat a day from seeds, dressings & oil; and 65-75 grams fiber (yes, I am very regular) a day from the fruits and veggies and soy beans. My carbs are now at the top of Atkins ladderbecause in order to eat veggies and fruit I had to increase carbs but since these are all highly nutritious, I don't consider them bad even though the net carb is around 120. I continued to lose another 6 lbs after switching all while adding food back in to get the weight loss to stop. Total calories today range from 1600-1800.

I get highly creative in the kitchen and have some neat dishes I have made for myself and DH. I don't miss the meat, eggs and dairy unless I walk by the grilled chicken in supermarket or someone is cooking bacon, my two favorite meats.

You ask how I feel. I feel pretty stable emotionally. I use writing and talking with friends to sort out life's whims. I walk when it isn't frigid outside but do want to take up weights and more. Physically, I feel pretty healthy. This last week I didn't feel great, having some nauseousness. So I stuck to comfort foods, warm veggies and homemade soup. Yum! I felt a cold trying to build and nothing happened with it. People were dropping like flies at work and I just don't get sick enough to take sickdays. My last physical two weeks ago showed my BP at 100/60, my cholesterol at 141, good HDL at 64, LDL at 70, tryglycerides at 34, resting sugars at 88. The only vitamin I take is Vitamin D when I think of it. I think my immune system is in good shape.

So why do I do this? Yes for health reasons and yes, for personal reasons, one of which was a way to make amends on a daily basis for all the animals I have hurt in my life. This is an added bonus and the main reason why my daughter went vegan 5 years ago. My brother did it for health reasons. He no longer needs insulin and his heart meds are almost gone. He also lost 60 lbs. my two doctors are vegan for their own reasons, mostly health. In fact my internist told me she heard a local cardiologist say to a group of doctors that the only thing that worked to cure 90% of heart disease was a vegan diet. He said you can give them statins but if the patients don't change their eating and lifestyle, the meds will lead to more meds, surgery and an earlier than necessary death from heart disease, cancer or diabetes.

Well I have rambled on enough, but if you are curious pick up the book, Eat to Live, The China Study, or Reverse and Prevent Heart Disease without Meds. There is also The Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr, a very funny writer and of course The Engine 2 Diet, My Beef with Meat, The End of Diabetes and many more. I have all kinds of new cookbooks and am enjoying them all.

Please excuse all my typing misstakes with my one finger typing course. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

By the way, I am 5'7", 66 years old and now weigh 141.6 lbs. a total loss of nearly 235 lbs. The one message I have heard from successful losers both here on this BB and other sites is that it is key to make a 'no matter what' committment to what you choose and give it 100% attention, no matter what.

Last edited by MaryMary; 02-07-2014 at 06:42 PM..
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 219/142/145 (5'7") age 56
WOE: HCG vlcd 1 April 2, 2014
Start Date: April 1, 2006
Quote:
By the way, I am 5'7", 66 years old and now weigh 141.6 lbs. a total loss of nearly 235 lbs. The one message I have heard from successful losers both here on this BB and other sites is that it is key to make a 'no matter what' committment to what you choose and give it 100% attention, no matter what.
Mary, you are truly an inspiration!
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 219/142/145 (5'7") age 56
WOE: HCG vlcd 1 April 2, 2014
Start Date: April 1, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzysdream View Post
Mary, you are truly an inspiration!
And I meant to add not just for your stats but the way you live your life..
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/137.4/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Mary Mary....congratulations on your focus and commitment!
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Hi, Mary and others! Just stopping in to say hi and "maintain" a little. I've taken some baby steps away from the meticulous tracking -- just skipping the task when I'm very busy or it's for some reason difficult. But I'm not straying far, because I just don't have a whole lot of leeway if I want to stay at my current weight. I'm also continuing to move up the carb ladder, as the Atkins books describe it. So far I'm not having any unusual reactions to any of that. I've eaten some baked apples and even a little bit of oatmeal. The bread and sugar, though, are staying on the "Don't" list, probably for good. I don't see any good reason for living dangerously.

It's easy to get really locked on to the idea of carbs being dangerous and bad, but my sense from fairly wide reading is that a lot of variety in the fruits and vegetables department is a good thing, and if you are lucky and have a healthy metabolism that handles them ok, you can eat up and not feel like you are breaking a golden rule. I admit that it has taken me a while to get used to the idea.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Hi, Mary and others! Just stopping in to say hi and "maintain" a little. I've taken some baby steps away from the meticulous tracking -- just skipping the task when I'm very busy or it's for some reason difficult. But I'm not straying far, because I just don't have a whole lot of leeway if I want to stay at my current weight. I'm also continuing to move up the carb ladder, as the Atkins books describe it. So far I'm not having any unusual reactions to any of that. I've eaten some baked apples and even a little bit of oatmeal. The bread and sugar, though, are staying on the "Don't" list, probably for good. I don't see any good reason for living dangerously.

It's easy to get really locked on to the idea of carbs being dangerous and bad, but my sense from fairly wide reading is that a lot of variety in the fruits and vegetables department is a good thing, and if you are lucky and have a healthy metabolism that handles them ok, you can eat up and not feel like you are breaking a golden rule. I admit that it has taken me a while to get used to the idea.
Martha! sounds like a good strategy...how long have you been at goal??
Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbedD View Post
Martha! sounds like a good strategy...how long have you been at goal??
I hit the sort of arbitrary goal number that I came up with in September, but I lost another five pounds after that and for the last ten weeks have been at a weight that I like and think is plenty low. I take an average every week and it has stayed within a narrow range, no consistent movement either up or down, just normal fluctuations. (I'm very short with a small frame. At this weight I'm at the low end of normal according to the BMI calculator. For whatever that's worth.)

Last edited by martha; 02-11-2014 at 04:19 PM..
Old 02-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I hit the sort of arbitrary goal number that I came up with in September, but I lost another five pounds after that and for the last ten weeks have been at a weight that I like and think is plenty low. I take an average every week and it has stayed within a narrow range, no consistent movement either up or down, just normal fluctuations. (I'm very short with a small frame. At this weight I'm at the low end of normal according to the BMI calculator. For whatever that's worth.)
I hear ya about the arbitrary scale number...that's where I am too..I agree with you about letting the body land where it wants...and where maintaining is more natural than an intense struggle..if that makes sense.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:32 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
I'm a newbie to the site and just wanted to say "Hello". Wow I am so glad I found this website. Just what I need to keep myself in the zone! I am so afraid of going back to my old carb-laden ways. I have been yo-yoing my entire adult life (you'd think I'd have hung myself with the string by now!)

Once committed, I can lose the weight, my biggest problem is keeping it off. But this time I've promised myself to keep an accurate Food Log (I think I'm a little OCD) so I weigh everything and I keep a journal of my thoughts, feels, reactions etc.
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbedD View Post
I hear ya about the arbitrary scale number...that's where I am too..I agree with you about letting the body land where it wants...and where maintaining is more natural than an intense struggle..if that makes sense.
That's a tough spot to find, though, for me. I was surprised to find that it was easy to drop five pounds more than I thought I needed to, and at first I was worried that I was doing something wrong! Developing an eating disorder or something, not seeing things straight. So I kind of had to let my body tell my brain what to do in that case.

Unfortunately, I don't find "listening to the body" to be the most reliable strategy over time. If I don't carefully exclude over-processed and sugar-heavy foods from my plate, and at the same time get busy at work and let my activity drop and my heart and muscles get lazy, then I will gain fat and be miserable. So yes, I am what some people would call "hyper-vigilant" about "restricting" certain foods, but I think of as being attentive and aware. There are probably five bakeries between my house and my subway stop (not to mention a couple of liquor stores and a slew of bodegas full of candy bars), so a layer of intention between me and the world is a useful and necessary thing, I think!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

@marymary: WOW! That's a whole lot of change. I'm glad your plan is working so well for you, health and otherwise! Very inspiring. You're lucky you're able to maintain with such high net carbs!

@martha: Welcome! I've also been trying to track less, or more generally, as I find it encourages anxiety and restriction. Lately I've had trouble with apples, they tend to increase my hunger. Lately this has been an issue when I work up a large calorie deficit - I think my low body fat % from eating LC and lifting weights is part of this. Whenever I work extra hard during the day and burn a lot, I can't stop eating at night even when sated.

However, since I've never been tempted to eat real sugar or bread, I usually end up overating on peanuts, peanut butter, or low-carb treats/dark chocolate. LOL.

So my net carbs are still staying between 35-60 even on "binge" days, depending on how much peanut product, fruit, and sugar alcohols I consume (if I should even count sugar alcohols). My calories still stay between 1000-1600 net, and even though I'm only 5'2" 96lb, with my muscle vs fat % and activity levels, I think I should continue to try to increase these. So I'm working at having larger portions during the day to prevent binging at night, since it doesn't agree with my intestines the next morning... thank god for bullet proof coffee... So far, I've barely been able to mentally cope with eating 1500-2000 calories a day...
Old 02-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Hi Everyone

So glad to find the thread. I am also working on not becoming OCD about food/calories but kind of hard I am celiac, dairy free (except occasional ghee or butter), no grains, no fruit, and no processed foods. My biggest issue is that I dont get hungry alot and then I overeat when I do eat..on PROTEIN. I also think variety is important.

I think you are all AMAZING! Emita, Martha, Mary!! Wow.. you are very committed. I agree, I am obtaining a PhD right now in Rehab Psych with a focus on sports psychology so I am very interested in nutrition/health.

I am not sure how to cut back on protein or maybe just focus on something else and it will go away naturally??lol
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #195
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome, Peace! Do you eat any raw or cooked veggies? I would say to add them in if not?
Old 02-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Welcome, Peace! Do you eat any raw or cooked veggies? I would say to add them in if not?
Thanks for the reply. Yep... I eat a lot of salads and cooked veggies with fish or chicken.

Pretty much, that is all I eat. twice a day.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: onthepath
Stats: 234/213/180
WOE: low carb
Start Date: June 2012
This is an interesting read. Thank you to all of you for sharing your trials and triumphs. Congratulations to all of you for reaching goal and working to maintain. I still have a lot of pages to read, but wanted to stop in and let you know you are an inspiration.
Gloria
onthepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Hi Everyone

So glad to find the thread. I am also working on not becoming OCD about food/calories but kind of hard I am celiac, dairy free (except occasional ghee or butter), no grains, no fruit, and no processed foods. My biggest issue is that I dont get hungry alot and then I overeat when I do eat..on PROTEIN. I also think variety is important.

I think you are all AMAZING! Emita, Martha, Mary!! Wow.. you are very committed. I agree, I am obtaining a PhD right now in Rehab Psych with a focus on sports psychology so I am very interested in nutrition/health.

I am not sure how to cut back on protein or maybe just focus on something else and it will go away naturally??lol
Very cool! I'd love to become a nutritionist or better yet researcher (I'm a bit socially intimidated, not an introvert exactly, but better at stuff that doesn't require social negotiation!) I love to cook but live with my parents at the moment, which makes it a bit difficult to do LC experiments without getting in their way. luckily my mom cooks dinner every couple-few days, and it's usually a roast or stew so I usually just have extra veggies and butter with it, but lately have experimented with low carb biscuits, gravies, etc.

I do the same thing with not eating and then getting one hunger pang and not being able to stop. for me it's nuts, nut butters, or sugar free chocolate. I find the only way to stop is to grab a piece of gum or chew some fennel seeds, drink some apple cider vinegar water, and leave the kitchen immediately. Once I Have a dessert it's a pandora's box.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:26 AM   #199
Blabbermouth!!!

I started doing more variety back in 2003 by adding a fruit at breakfast. Today I had to add more fruit to stop the weight loss.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:30 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: onthepath
Stats: 234/213/180
WOE: low carb
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
I started doing more variety back in 2003 by adding a fruit at breakfast. Today I had to add more fruit to stop the weight loss.
Mary, what is GS and NMW in your status of woe?

Gloria
onthepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #201
Blabbermouth!!!

NMW means "No Matter What" i can't makes excuses. I am committed to following my food plan to the best of my ability, no matter what, no matter who, no matter where, no matter why, no matter when.

GS is an acronym for the name of the foodplan. I should add to the description ETL because it is geared toward the program outlined in the Eat To Live plan. Lots of fruits, vegetables, beans, seeds and nuts. I get my fats from the seeds and nuts and beans. Protein permeates all the food as does carbs. My fiber today was 72 grams and protein was 112 grams.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's a tough spot to find, though, for me. I was surprised to find that it was easy to drop five pounds more than I thought I needed to, and at first I was worried that I was doing something wrong! Developing an eating disorder or something, not seeing things straight. So I kind of had to let my body tell my brain what to do in that case.

Unfortunately, I don't find "listening to the body" to be the most reliable strategy over time. If I don't carefully exclude over-processed and sugar-heavy foods from my plate, and at the same time get busy at work and let my activity drop and my heart and muscles get lazy, then I will gain fat and be miserable. So yes, I am what some people would call "hyper-vigilant" about "restricting" certain foods, but I think of as being attentive and aware. There are probably five bakeries between my house and my subway stop (not to mention a couple of liquor stores and a slew of bodegas full of candy bars), so a layer of intention between me and the world is a useful and necessary thing, I think!

for the 9yrs I maintained...and the 2 or more yrs I maintained at other times...listening to my body....was what kept me on the path....when I let my head/emotions rule my eating.....I slid back...
Old 02-23-2014, 01:47 AM   #203
Blabbermouth!!!

I do most of the cooking in our house and DH & I are both vegan. I have a new problem. DH has lost too much weight. He is 6' and is now 149 lbs. need to help him regain 10 lbs. any ideas? We don't eat sugar, meat, eggs or dairy.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:55 AM   #204
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Do you eat grains? Bread and olive oil, rice with something oily? Lots of nuts, generous oil dressings on salads. Maybe beans, rice and oil — so he’s getting some extra protein too, then maybe some of what he builds can be muscle.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:11 AM   #205
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I've made a number of recipes from
Artisan Vegan Cheese
by Miyoko Schinner
and found them good. They're all variations on fermenting nuts/nut milk - it might be worth trying.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #206
Blabbermouth!!!

He eats breads and grains, fruits, beans and some raws and cooked veggies. He uses nuts for snacks. I had him put flaxseed meal in his oatmeal last time he made it. So what we have left are nut butters and sweeteners. He won't use oils. He wants to get what fats he eats from nuts and seeds.so I am going to start cooking hims sweet desserts (with maple syrup or agave syrup) and asked him to use the nut butters on his foods. We have almond butter, peanut butter, tahini and soynut butter. I wish I had that problem. He hurt his back a couple weeks ago and can't do any lifting for a couple more weeks. I get to do the grocery shopping, shoveling and cleaning. He does the laundry, putting clothes in washer and dryer, and folds them.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
He eats breads and grains, fruits, beans and some raws and cooked veggies. He uses nuts for snacks. I had him put flaxseed meal in his oatmeal last time he made it. So what we have left are nut butters and sweeteners. He won't use oils. He wants to get what fats he eats from nuts and seeds.so I am going to start cooking hims sweet desserts (with maple syrup or agave syrup) and asked him to use the nut butters on his foods. We have almond butter, peanut butter, tahini and soynut butter.
To help maintain muscle mass, you might be interested in nutritional yeast if he likes the taste. I put it in smoothies with a healthy dose of cinnamon (makes it taste better with sweet things, I think.) But when I was not eating meat I used to make a thick sauce with it that I used like a rarebit (beer and cheese sauce). I seasoned it with mustard and red pepper flakes and ate it with rice for a main dish. There was lots of olive oil in there, too. I add it to vegetable soups, too, and even eat it on popcorn. It is still something that I eat most every week. My favorite brand is supplemented more lavishly with extra B vitamins than I really think is necessary, so I cut it with a less tasty but plain-jane brand to bring it down to levels I'm comfortable with. Look up Red Star Vegetarian Support Nutritional Yeast. If you want details of the rarebit or other recipes, just ask.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:03 AM   #208
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes we both use nutritional yeast on veggies and salads. I use it to make a couple dishes for him. I do like. Bought some fake parmesan cheese that was nothing more than ground nuts and nutritional yeast. Very good.

Peace - have you read any of Rip Essylton's books. He is a vegan triathalon winner. Talk about muscles. He's got plenty. Another one is Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr, funnywriter! But all around gprogram. Then there's Joel Furman Eat to Live and Neal Barnard's Reversing diabetes without drugs. I am reading my way through them all.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #209
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kellytoddbran
mary
my first reaction was to say, have him follow me around, Ill show him how.
but in reality, 6' man at 149 is way to thin. As a medical professional who cant control my own weight, its easy for me to tell you to add more fruit it seems to be the only food you will eat that has calories and weight gaining properties. Your a tough one. !! lol
kellytoddbran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

hi

Thanks for the thoughts. I am going to look into crazy sexy diet.. I feel like I read something similar.. maybe skinny b___lol. Anyhow, I had some beef yesterday but I think I do best with fish and just veggies. I feel heavy todayl.... I would prefer doing low carb and vegan but I dont know if I am ready to go back to that yet.

Was thinking about getting some alternative cheeses-- daiya? what about I cant believe its not pb or soy nut butter?

Definitely need to get more fat in if I am going to cut out meat. I do love eggs though.. at least egg whites.

I just want to feel lighter again and lately the protein is weighing me down. Hmm..