LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/143/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Hi everyone! Thanksgiving i
I am making dinner for my husband and kids (adults now but still kids to me)
I have no problem with anything except the stuffing. I want stuffing of some sort so I'm on the hunt for a decent alternative. Also, cranberry sauce. I will make my own but I love that crappy gelatinous stuff from the can
I will do sweet potatoes with divincis vanilla syrup and cinnamon. Mashed white potatoes for the masses but none for me. Broccoli with cheese and perhaps another veggie.
Dessert- pumpkin pie one low carb....

Any stuffing ideas?

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Took DH to the hospital for a stress test. He is wearing a heart monitor for 24 hours. He has a visit with the cardiologist in 10 days. Then hopefully he can come off the heart meds from last summer's excitement.

Worked from home for the first time in 3 months. Took a few walks while on breaks and lunch with hubby.

Work has been crazy. Working nights now two days a week.

Today was day 7 doing this plant-based food plan. I am getting into the rhythm of it. Eating soy as my main protein at lunch is not so bad. I don't miss the meat. It's funny when I was eating the chicken and bacon, I thought I could never not eat it. Now that I don't eat it, i look forward to what I can eat. This week I cooked a bag of greens with portobella mushrooms, put some red pepper flakes, hot sauce, soy sauce and umoboshi plum vinegar. It was delicious. Served it with tofu and a big salad with dressing.

Any way it is all growing on me. I have been reading some books on this and it is an eye opener. The diseases in the US and Europe and other big cities around the globe are called the "western diseases" because poeple aroundthe world eating a plant-based diet don't succumb to our diseases. Dairy products are one of the biggest culprits. I have known I haven't been able to tolerate dairy for the last 15 years, with the exception of greek yogurt. No lactose in it. I watched a movie called "Vegucated" where they took three SAD eaters, Standard American Diet, and aksed them to follow a plant-based diet for 6 weeks. At the endof the time, they had lost weight, cholesterol and BP had gone down. It is free if anyone wants to download it free from getvegucated. It was funny and sad at the same time.

I ordered Forks over Knives to watch this weekend. Has anyone seen it? My doctor said he has cut carbs way down on his plant basedprogram. I told him that is hard to do if you eat vegetables and fruit. Even though they are good carbs, they add up. My fiber is up to 50 a day. Weight is staing the same at 145-146. Anyway I am going to stick withthis for a while longer.

Have a good Friday!

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:46 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, Mary I don't think I could ever give up dairy meat, probably but dairy would not be easy.
What prompted you to go plant based? Does the soy concern you? It seems there is a problem with everything we eat! Unless you're growing your own food or buying organic (and that term seems to have multiple meanings and costs a bundle).
The food industry has made it very challenging to actually eat clean.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #124
Blabbermouth!!!

Soy is really only a problem for women who have a history if breast cancer. I don't and am post menopausal. So am nit concerned.

My DD, brother, niece PCP and psychiatrist eat plant based (no meat, eggs, dairy) and various inlaws are vegetarian (eat dairy & eggs). I have been watching them over the years and wondering how they could do it. My brother recommended a book which I bought auite a while ago and just recently read it. "Reversing & Preventing Heart Diseas" and also read "Dr Neal Bernard's Program for reversing diabetes without drugs". Most recently started "The China Study". I had been leaning toward vegetarian beause for quite a whike my breakfasts rotated between egg & cheese omelette, tvp & soymilk or smoothies with fruit. So most mornings they were plant based. I had greek yogurt and pumpkin every night with big salad. Lunch was my meat meal so one day I experimented with having a soy protein meal. It was ok. Then when the eggs ran out I switched that meal. Last week I took a leap and tried switching my yogurt out for silken tofu. I can't tell the difference. So I made the transition. It took me quite a while as I wasn't in a big hurry.

It is also a way to make amends for any animals that I might have hurt in my life, intentionally or not. Although that wasn't my primary reason, it has helped to keep me on the path for now.

I wanted to see if my cholesterol will go down any or HPB. My umbers were pretty good before. Cholesterol was 162 with HDL at 67 and HPB was 115/70 with no meds, but in plant eating countries chokesterol averages under 150. I am trying to reduce my chances of acquiring any new diseases as I age. I feel great, walking miles every day, and want to take up biking and weights this year.

It is an experiment but the books are quite convincing. I love vegetables and fruit. I love the colors and textures and variety. So I figured, why not? I coukd try it for a month and reevaluate. So far, eventhough I added in an extra fruit at lunch, I am staying right around 145 lbs. so am not gaining or losning any more. That is the goal and wouldn't it be nice if I could eat more food to boot?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Good for you! My daughter is vegetarian but eats eggs and dairy. God help me, I love a good cheeseburger!!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #126
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Good morning! Well, as good as it can be for a Monday. This weekend flew....why can't work weeks fly and weekends go slow?

Biochic--I'm with you, I love a good burger! I actually don't eat a lot of meat---typically once a day at most and I prefer it that way. But when I want a steak or some salmon or turkey or whatever---I'm gonna have it!

Mary---in regards to veggie dishes, one of my favorites is a quinoa/butternut/gruyere casserole---soooooo good! The gruyere of course wouldn't fit in with your 'no dairy' however there are lots of substitutes out there for dairy free 'cheese.'

Have a great day everyone!
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Ooh Teresa that casserole sound delish. Can u share the recipe? Sounds like a great side for thsnksgiving
Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #128
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, Teresa, I would like more info on the casserole too.

Biochic, I can have a cheeseburger, but with a different kind of burger. I can have meat if I want but just for today don't want to. I thought I would miss my favorites...ribeye, bacon, roasted chicken. The beg three. But so far so good. I wouldn't hesitate having it if it was driving me to an obsession. But I am thinking about what I can have. My DH is amenable to eting what I cook. We are trying to use up the meat in the freezer, so I might make a pot of chili and throw ground meat or some such thing in it, but don't buy anymore meat. When it's all gone, he wants to make the leap too. We'll see how it affects us going forward and reevaluate down the road.

I am finding myself less motivated on the weekends to walk outside because it is getting colder. Yesterday was probably our last 60 degree day until spring. Brrr! But the rains have held off as has the snow, so we can count our blessings.

I woke up and can't go back to sleep. Usually, using the IPad will put me to sleep again.

Have a great week, everyone.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #129
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
Start Date: Oct 2006
Morning!

Finally getting a chance to check in. Had a long, stressful 3 day workshop for work---which was a really great experience but very draining. Now I'm back at the office trying to catch up on all I missed!

I will post the butternut casserole recipe this weekend. I think I've made it every week now for the last 3 weeks, that's how much I love it! I only make half the recipe so just a few servings (OK, technically it's supposed to be 4 but I only get 3 out of it! ) and by the time it's gone I want it again....so I end up making it again the next week!

Food has been good this week---exercise/movement not nearly enough! I'm with you Mary---the cold really makes it hard to want to get out there and go. We've had bits of snow and then freezing rain starting yesterday so I have no desire to get out and do anything----let alone walk! I wish I enjoyed using a treadmill or even walking at the mall or something but I really like being outside when I'm walking---I think because it doesn't really feel like I'm exercising then! But I'm going to have to find something else to do to get moving this winter.

Happy Friday all and hope you have a great weekend! Oh---and I'll be back in the morning to post that recipe.
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Hello everyone!
I'm looking forward to that recipe

Got the shopping done for thanksgiving
I'm having a terrible time with my blood pressure. I think I have to break down and see a cardiologist. Of course the stress I'm under certainly isn't helping

I'm going out to dinner tonight with friends from HS. We r in our early 50's now. I'm so excited to see everyone! I only get to see them once every few years.

Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving and Hanukkah (if you're celebrating both). Enjoy the time with those you love.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #131
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone,
Today is day 17 with no meat, eggs or dairy. I am venturing out and trying new things. This week I had tempeh. It was good. I bought the one with no grain, strictly soy. I am using it to make a dish for Thanksgiving instead of Tofurkey. My DD and me are now both eating plant-based food plans and her BF eats no sugar or grain, so we will have lots of veggies, some fruit, a grain for DH, stuffing made with Ezekiel bread and pecans, and a dessertor two...my pumpkin pudding made from tofu and pumpkin, along with a fruit something.

Turns out I am still walking at work, but not on the weekends I am relaxing in that dept. my weight hit a new low of 143.4 this week. This is after adding in an extra fruit at lunch. I will probably have to add in another fruit at supper or an extra veggie at lunch. I get way more protein than a woman my age needs. Should get no more than 70-90 grams a day and eat sometimes over 100-110 grams. I am amazed at how much protein is in veggies. Greens are sometimes 40% protein, more than some meats. My soy meals are high in protein and fiber. Even though it appears as though I am eating lots of carbs, my fiber per day is around 55-60.

Have a great week and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #132
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone,
Today is day 17 with no meat, eggs or dairy. I am venturing out and trying new things. This week I had tempeh. It was good. I bought the one with no grain, strictly soy. I am using it to make a dish for Thanksgiving instead of Tofurkey. My DD and me are now both eating plant-based food plans and her BF eats no sugar or grain, so we will have lots of veggies, some fruit, a grain for DH, stuffing made with Ezekiel bread and pecans, and a dessertor two...my pumpkin pudding made from tofu and pumpkin, along with a fruit something.

Turns out I am still walking at work, but not on the weekends I am relaxing in that dept. my weight hit a new low of 143.4 this week. This is after adding in an extra fruit at lunch. I will probably have to add in another fruit at supper or an extra veggie at lunch. I get way more protein than a woman my age needs. Should get no more than 70-90 grams a day and eat sometimes over 100-110 grams. I am amazed at how much protein is in veggies. Greens are sometimes 40% protein, more than some meats. My soy meals are high in protein and fiber. Even though it appears as though I am eating lots of carbs, my fiber per day is around 55-60.

Have a great week and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2013, 03:01 AM   #133
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LoCarbNewbie
Stats: 136/126/119
WOE: Low carb ~50-70g/day
Start Date: 26th October 2013
Hi all, this is only my second post on LCF so go easy on me I wanted to post here because I'm around 7lbs from my goal and I'm concerned about maintaining when I get there. Seems it's almost harder to maintain than it is to lose from what some of you guys are saying on here. At the mo I'm losing at a rate of about 2 -3lbs/week which I don't wanna keep up once I hit goal. How to maintain without carb creep, that is the question?! Well done Mary on maintaining the plant based diet, sounds hard to me but if you're happy and healthy on it good on you!
LoCarbNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone

Christmas is going to be tough I'm already thinking about the cookies I can't have. I need some words of encouragement please, and perhaps a recipe share or two.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #135
Blabbermouth!!!

Biochic, Christmas is just another day, it's got 24 hours like all the others. There are cookies you could make that would be ok. Once I made soynut butter, soynut flour and squash with pp spice, sweetener, vanilla. They were very dense and chewy and I had a big salad with them. I haven't eaten them again because I got gas from something probably the soy flour. But in a pinch or a traveling day, I would make them again because they are easy to fly with.

Today is day 33 plant-strong. I read that description in the Engine 2 Diet book and My Beef with Meat by Rip Esseltyn. He is a good writer and explains it in down to earth language.

Right now I am reading the Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr. It is written for women in mind. Covers lots of different things, a real good education. It is kind of fun reading about something so different from what I did 10-15 years ago.

I weighed in this week at 142.4 lbs. It will go up again as that is low even for me. I am 5'7" and 65 yrs old. I ordered some size 6's because the 8's are loose.

I think next month I will be adding in either another vegetable serving at lunch or an oz of protein at my meals. At this point, I don't eat grains so it is ot an option.

Hope everyone has a blessed Holiday and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Mary
I am coming up on my 1 yr of food sobriety, Christmas is a possible stumbling block. I do not want to go there so I will repeat your first sentence to myself "Christmas is just another day". Sometimes it is the simplest things that resonate. Thank you.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
I am coming up on my 1 yr of food sobriety, Christmas is a possible stumbling block. I do not want to go there so I will repeat your first sentence to myself "Christmas is just another day".
Congratulations on such a milestone for your food sobriety.

I hope that Christmas was uneventful for you (in a good way).

DH and I managed Christmas through avoiding potentially difficult social events with the sort of people who all but wrestle you into a position where they stuff you like a Strasbourg Goose. (I'm not the only person with friends/relatives like that, surely?)

It's not optimal that it's easier to avoid than to handle difficult people but I'm hoping to work up to that.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

I weathered the storm but not as gracefully as I had hoped. Cookies, although I made them with coconut flour, were a definite issue. So at least I learned that my poison still has an allure. I indulged but not enough to knock me off track. I am thankful to be physically away from the temptation. The psychological pull is no longer an issue but having easy access to my "drug of choice" is absolutely still a problem. Every day I learn a little bit more about me...

Happy New Year
Old 12-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 219/142/145 (5'7") age 56
WOE: HCG vlcd 1 April 2, 2014
Start Date: April 1, 2006
Biochic, congratulations on your year of food sobriety! Happy holidays ladies!
I haven't been here in a while, struggled for a bit. But been back on track and managed to go from 153 in the beginning of December (I think) back to 149.
Recently, I started back on a low dose of wellbutrin because I was craving cigarettes again.
It also knocked out my cravings for food...so that has been the driving force of getting through the holidays that and carb cycling. Carbed up on Christmas eve and Christmas and pretty much down before and after. Planning to carb up again on New Years Eve. And try not to date until spring!
Then the holidays are ova! Yes!
Here's wishing everyone blessings and dreams coming true in the new year.
P4: May 16, 2014 Maintenance

Last edited by Izzysdream; 12-29-2013 at 08:11 PM..
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

Izzysdream, I take wellbutrin, once in am, not timed release, and have for last 10 years. I heard it was good for cigarette addiction and thought it would be good for food addiction too. It is. I don't drink coffee so it s like my cup of joe in the am. It also helps with my ADD.

Today is Day 53 with no meat, eggs or dairy. I have a new rhythm and like what I eat. Calories are up to 1700 or so. Carbs are up but still I eat no sugar, grains, alcohol or starches. Maintaining weight at 143 lbs. It was our first vegan Christmas dinner. A big success. I made a Cream of Broccoli soup with raw cashews for the cream. They loved it. I also made a Lentil Brown Rice Loaf which was a hit too. My husband is using it for his sandwiches this week and told me I can make it again. I made a kale/steel cut oats dish with nutritional yeast that tasted cheesy. And a winter squash/lentil soup with curry and cumin. I am reading and learning lots. My DD has been eating more veggies too and started dropping some weight she put on.

Thanksgiving night we watched Forks over Knives and my DD's BF said he was going to do this too. It makes her life easier too since he is a chef. His dilemma will be in the spring when the restaurant he worked at reopens for the tourists. He said he might look for a job as a ean chef or he will need to adapt his style of cooking in the restaurant.

Walking will need to be started again in the springtime. I am not thinking about it right now.

Decluttering is on the agenda this year. Giving away clothes. Picked up a bunch of pants and sweaters at Goodwill and Savers, a cashmere turtleneck for $8. Love it.

Here's hoping you all have a happy, healthy and blessed New Year!
Old 12-30-2013, 03:08 AM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm posting this to remind me that maintenance has a different set of challenges than weight loss.

Reflecting on 4 Christmases.

Christmas 2010 168lbs (approx)
Christmas 2011 140lbs (approx)
Christmas 2012 157lbs (approx)
Christmas 2013 124lbs (approx)

So, I'm the lightest I've been since my last significant accident (2009) altho' a fair bit heavier than I was before. Maintenance is very important to me and I really couldn't have got here without the support of this board and the need to be accountable for my food and exercise choices.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I'm posting this to remind me that maintenance has a different set of challenges than weight loss.

Reflecting on 4 Christmases.

Christmas 2010 168lbs (approx)
Christmas 2011 140lbs (approx)
Christmas 2012 157lbs (approx)
Christmas 2013 124lbs (approx)

So, I'm the lightest I've been since my last significant accident (2009) altho' a fair bit heavier than I was before. Maintenance is very important to me and I really couldn't have got here without the support of this board and the need to be accountable for my food and exercise choices.
Congratulations! The weight loss phase was a piece of cake compared to maintenance. My lowest weight was 130ish after my tummy tuck in 2008 (anorexic looking for me) and a mega stressed 2009 I gained about 40 pounds. The last couple/three years I think i was in the lower 140's. My goal now at my age is to stay in the 145-148 range..

Last edited by Izzysdream; 12-30-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Old 12-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Izzysdream, I take wellbutrin, once in am, not timed release, and have for last 10 years. I heard it was good for cigarette addiction and thought it would be good for food addiction too. It is. I don't drink coffee so it s like my cup of joe in the am. It also helps with my ADD.

Today is Day 53 with no meat, eggs or dairy. I have a new rhythm and like what I eat. Calories are up to 1700 or so. Carbs are up but still I eat no sugar, grains, alcohol or starches. Maintaining weight at 143 lbs. It was our first vegan Christmas dinner. A big success. I made a Cream of Broccoli soup with raw cashews for the cream. They loved it. I also made a Lentil Brown Rice Loaf which was a hit too. My husband is using it for his sandwiches this week and told me I can make it again. I made a kale/steel cut oats dish with nutritional yeast that tasted cheesy. And a winter squash/lentil soup with curry and cumin. I am reading and learning lots. My DD has been eating more veggies too and started dropping some weight she put on.

Thanksgiving night we watched Forks over Knives and my DD's BF said he was going to do this too. It makes her life easier too since he is a chef. His dilemma will be in the spring when the restaurant he worked at reopens for the tourists. He said he might look for a job as a ean chef or he will need to adapt his style of cooking in the restaurant.

Walking will need to be started again in the springtime. I am not thinking about it right now.

Decluttering is on the agenda this year. Giving away clothes. Picked up a bunch of pants and sweaters at Goodwill and Savers, a cashmere turtleneck for $8. Love it.

Here's hoping you all have a happy, healthy and blessed New Year!
Awesome job Mary! I take 75 mg hcl twice a day, but I am more jittery for sure. This past spring/summer (i think) I tried the 100 mg dose and it did nothing. I read somewhere that if you go off and then back on it's not as effective. Glad it's helping now...
Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzysdream View Post
Congratulations! The weight loss phase was a piece of cake compared to maintenance. My lowest weight was 130ish after my tummy tuck in 2008 (anorexic looking for me) and a mega stressed 2009 I gained about 40 pounds. The last couple/three years I think i was in the lower 140's. My goal now at my age is to stay in the 145-148 range..
I've bounced up to the 150's but haven't stayed there long...
Old 12-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #145
Blabbermouth!!!

Izzy, I take 300 mg just in morning, because I want it to wear down as the day goes on. But I understand the whole jittery thing. If I drink more than one diet pepsi or have a cup of real coffee, my hands will shake, but with only green tea, I am ok.

I never went off it but because it is also for seasonal depression, I do cut back in the summer.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Happy, healthy New Year! Let's make it a good one
Old 12-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #147
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy New Year

Old 01-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzysdream View Post
Congratulations! The weight loss phase was a piece of cake compared to maintenance.
Thank you and yikes, but true.

It just feels like people don't have a realistic sense of appropriate portion sizes people can eat to maintain. I turned down some food after I'd been kayaking today (the conditions were rough and we were all cold and wet). It was OK but the people there were baffled as to why I'd refuse it - and the notion that I might need to practise abstinence to remain at the weight I want (rather than it being 'natural') just seemed alien to them.

I didn't make a 'thing' about it but I think it ended up feeling a little awkward as I was the the only non-obese woman there (except for DH, the men were as well).
Old 01-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #149
Blabbermouth!!!

SlowSure, that's the way it is for us too.

I was reading an article about how the super sizing came about. It's all aout money for big business. A whole generation or two or three have been conned into thinking more is better.

Officially weighed in today and I am down 2 lbs from Dec 1st. My food coach added in an additional ounce of protein at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Even though I am vegan, that will give me another 20 grams a day, way more than I need. We will see how it goes.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:30 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
Hi everyone and Happy New Year. I hope you don't mind a newbie joining the group. I hit my goal Fall 2013 and have been maintaining since. Its been tough but I have been making it work. My hubby started back induction yesterday. He knows he feels best when eats LC, but he tends to slip away during the year and thinks he can come and go as he pleases. My goal this year is to get back into running and workout more. I look forward to seeing what good advice you all have to offer great year
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote