Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #61
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Good morning---it's Monday again--blahhh.

Nothing too exciting here. I'm looking forward to daylight savings time ending. Although it usually doesn't matter to me what the clock says because I don't sleep much to begin with---with the onset of the cold weather I'm finding I want to stay in bed longer than usual! I actually had to hit snooze on my alarm this morning that rarely happens.

Shooting for averaging 10,000 steps a day this week---so I need to get in 70,000 by the end of the day Sunday. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and it will not be too cold to walk at night.

Hope everyone has a nice day.
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kathy76
Stats: (313)282/160.8/155-160
Start Date: 9/19/05
This weather is depressing! I guess if it is not sunny and in the 60's then I am over Fall and ready for snow. I love Fall but I get to a point to where I need the coldness and snow to get my mind shifted to Christmas mode.

Teresa-- No, the siding is not quite done yet but close I wish my eating was as consistent as my exercise. I think that being a SAHM for so many years the gym has become my social outlet. I have a great group of women that I workout with. Most are there everyday at 8am also. I think that most of them have never had a weight problem though, so it's hard to talk diet.... Let alone low carb!
kathy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #63
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh no, I don't like the cloudiness either. We have been sunny however today and I think the next couple of days are supposed to be rainy and dreary. They're even talking possible snow and definite frost in the northern part of the state.....hope it doesn't reach us! I can't believe you want snow---are you CRAZY?!? Considering we just had our last snow fall here in May--I would prefer not to see it for quite some time. I've heard that the predictions for where I'm at this winter are not for a lot of snow---but long stretches of bitterly cold weather---yuck!

That's cool that the gym is your social outlet---great way to stay motivated! You'll get there with your eating/consistency, you always do. Now...if only I could get there with the exercise thing.

So yesterday I had a problem getting up, today I was wide awake at 2am....now I'm dragging. I'm pretty sure I have been in and out and mostly on the 'brink' of ketosis for the last week or so and yesterday my carbs were really low so I'm guessing that's the problem. I'm planning breakfast for dinner tonight so I'll have to add some more carbs to the plan---maybe some squash browns using butternut (instead of buttercup) will do. Didn't quite make 9000 steps yesterday, so I have some making up to do!

Any fun plans for Halloween? Will your kids go trick or treating? I don't get any trick or treaters so I make my staff come to my office and trick or treat! They have much better jokes and tricks than the youngsters.....and when they tell the little kid jokes it's actually much funnier coming out of a 20-65 year old! Ahhh, the things I do to entertain myself.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

We had a freeze warning last night. It was very cold this morning so I waited until about noon to run. The sun was out, it was windy & about 47 degrees. By the time I was about done it was clouding up and the weather went downhill from there.... It was raining mixed with snow this evening I managed to get my 10 mile run in!

Eating wasn't too bad, hopefully tomorrow is good too!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #65
Big Yapper!!!!

Ugggg....long day and I'm pooped!

It was really cold here this morning and the back window of my car was all frosted over this morning. OH NO on the snow ---hope it doesn't happen!

And---wow on 10 miles, that is amazing!! Seriously, not sure if I could walk 10 miles...unless I absolutely had to. So do you do a long run once a week or several times or how does that work?

Off to go play with my monster kitties who are always way too full of energy when I get home late. Then---I'm off to bed.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Hi there! Glad to find a maintaining thread. Hope its OK to join you?
Wow Kathy, 10 miles! How long does that take you to do? I've had a problem getting myself out to walk since the temps dropped... I know I will have to get back to it eventually, since I love to cross-country ski daily in the winter.
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #67
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi Debby---of course join us!!

Yes---Kathy has become the exercise queen...I need to take some lessons.

So how long have you been maintaining and do you have any 'tips or tricks?'

Another stress filled day, but if I can manage it I'm going to get out of here early and not come in until later tomorrow---even though it's almost the weekend I just need a little breather I think! I realized today as I was packing my lunch I didn't make enough to stretch through the end of the week so I will have to make and/or put something together tonight for tomorrow as not being prepared has become my worst enemy as of late.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Teresa,
Tips & tricks... well, for me, I have to exercise 'moderately' at least 40 minutes a day... low carb... right now I'm on Primal. Have a thyroid condition that requires VERY clean eating... works for me!
How about you?
Old 10-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hello, I have been playing with maintenance for the last six months. Will probably have to add in food. I am 146.6 lbs at 5'8" so am right where I should be. I also don't eat at night, am vigilant about the foods I don't eat and measure the portions. I don't look at carbs or calories anymore because I know that if I stick with no grains, no sugar, no alcohol and no starches, I can eat all the beautiful colorful stuff left. I have cut back on meat, eating vegetarian many days. I am allergic to dairy except greek yogurt. So I don't eat other dairy products.

I began walking last year and counting the steps. I didn't move much until I started wearing my watch counter. This summer I got up to 8,000 steps a day and for the last two months have been doing 10,000 steps a day. This is a miracle as I am the original couch potato.

Life is very different today than it was at the turn of the century for me. I feel more alive today at 65 than I did at 50. Another miracle. I couldn't have done this without the support of many others who helped me stay focused on what's important.

This is a great thread!

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning!

Debby--what exactly is primal eating? I hear about that and paleo and some others a lot but not really sure what it's all about---is it basically just 'eating off the land' kind of thing?

When I was maintaining I really just stuck with foods that were as whole as possible and made virtually everything that I ate. I didn't eat low carb per se, but protein and lc veggies were the base of all my meals. I ate starches and sprouted grains, things with natural sugars (raw honey, coconual palm sugar, etc.). My biggest rules were no white sugar and minimal processed foods---even if the ingredients are healthy. I didn't necessarily count calories although my brain kind of does that naturally---I just ate 3 well balanced meals and no snacks (snacking does not work for me!!). I also didn't count carbs or worry about fat---I do seem to have some issues with too much protein from meat so I would keep meat consumption down and use other protein sources. As far as exercise---I'm a pretty active person and while maintaining I did a lot of extra walking and had no problem averaging 10,000+ steps a day. That's a habit I'm trying to get back to right now. But otherwise, no formal exercise plan has ever been involved in my losing or maintaining.

Mary---congrats on goal, maintaining and all the steps! And, how great that your life is so much better than it was 15 years ago---very cool!

Kathy---what's up with you??

Left work early yesterday, came in late today.....just a few extra hours away definitely gave me a much better attitude about things! I will have to be here tomorrow but hopefully not too long.

Last edited by Teresa123; 10-25-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Old 10-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

With Primal there are no grains... none! Some dairy, some fruit. Mostly proteins, veggies, fats. Very much food as you would find it... without the processing. Grass-fed meats, organic produce, no chemicals. Paleo is somewhat different, I'm not sure what the difference is. If you do a google search you can probably come up with a better description then I just gave.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #72
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning! At the office....blah, but hopefully only for a few hours.

Debby---I will have to look up Primal and Paleo. I feel like I have looked at those plans in the past but not very intensely so I just don't remember a lot about them. I'm definitely big with staying away from processed stuff. Not only do I think it has an impact on our health in the long run in ways we cannot even see, for me I think I'm really sensitive to all the chemicals and that comes out in the form of hunger, cravings, mood, etc. I don't by any means stick with all organic or grass fed or farm raised, etc. but the majority of what I eat is, and I do avoid GMO's, soy and several other thing very strickly--so that's a pretty good start! I doubt I'll ever be 100% with clean eating, but in the 80-90% range I feel good.

Virtually no sleep last night. Tried a couple different natural sleep remedies with no results. Today I am going to eat a lot higher carb, essentially a maintenance type day. Hopefully that doesn't derail me or my progress in any way, but I need sleep! If it works out OK--i.e. easily able to get back to lower carb tomorrow which I think shouldn't be a problem since I won't be eating any kind of trigger foods---then I'll probably do this once a week just so that I don't get to this place where I just cannot sleep...it becomes a very scary place after awhile! My Dr thinks that I have adrenal fatigue (and so do I) and that it's a result of several years of lack of sleep. Although I haven't explained to her the reason for the lack of sleep, I know it's due to ketosis, which just doesn't agree with me.

I have tons of steps to make up if I am going to come anywhere close to 70,000 steps for the week! Not sure that I'll make it but going to try to get a few decent walks in today and tomorrow and get as close as I can. This might be the last decent weekend for getting out and walking so I need to take advantage of it! However....I may need a nap first, I'm pooped.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Last edited by Teresa123; 10-26-2013 at 07:00 AM..
Old 10-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

Theresa with the walkig, I break it up into 10-15 or 30 min segments throughout the day. The weekends are a little different because we can go to the park. This morning we walked for about an hour and a half, more like hiking as we were on trails. I love walking in the fall because all the bugs are gone.

Hope you all have a nice weekend!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Debby---I will have to look up Primal and Paleo. I feel like I have looked at those plans in the past but not very intensely so I just don't remember a lot about them. I'm definitely big with staying away from processed stuff. Not only do I think it has an impact on our health in the long run in ways we cannot even see, for me I think I'm really sensitive to all the chemicals and that comes out in the form of hunger, cravings, mood, etc. I don't by any means stick with all organic or grass fed or farm raised, etc. but the majority of what I eat is, and I do avoid GMO's, soy and several other thing very strickly--so that's a pretty good start! I doubt I'll ever be 100% with clean eating, but in the 80-90% range I feel good.

My Dr thinks that I have adrenal fatigue (and so do I) and that it's a result of several years of lack of sleep. Although I haven't explained to her the reason for the lack of sleep, I know it's due to ketosis, which just doesn't agree with me.
Wow Teresa, Adrenal fatigue is what messed me up... I went to the Dr for the thyroid, but also a naturopath. She tested me for the adrenal fatigue & I took saliva tests to see which hormone was out of whack... mine was cortisol too low. I'm on isocort now, and it has changed my life! I used to 'have' to take 2 hr. afternoon naps & then had trouble sleeping at night. Lots of adrenal rushes, not able to handle stress...
Anyway, if you can't afford to go to a naturopath (they are pricey), you can do your own saliva test & see what it is...(online tests). I would be afraid of getting treated by a Dr though, as they usually go for the cortisone... which isn't good for us. You're on the right track, avoiding chemicals, that's another irritant.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Hello everyone.
I have been busy the past couple days with the kids being on Fall Break. Today we had cheer, then lunch out with a few of the girls & their moms, and finally my nephew got married today. I got asked to help with clean up duty so we were there to the end. Everyone had a good time

Debby- I am "training" for a half marathon. It will be my first time. My 10 mile time was 1hr 56 min. I know that I can go faster but I am running by myself and don't push myself well....
Old 10-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

Running hald marathon. That's a super accomplishment! I can't run without stumbling over my own feet. So I walk. Shooting for 10,000 steps a day on average. Today was a challenge but I did it.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow Kathy, you must enjoy running. Good for you!

10,000 steps is a great goal! I used to do that when I used a step-counter. What counter do you use? I'm thinking of getting a new one.

My exercise today has to be the vacuuming & meat-cutting... stood all afternoon... DH got a moose & we were butchering.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

Debbie, the counter I use is a watch that I wear all day. Got it from my Rite Aid Pharmacy but you can buy it online too. It is called Walking Fit and has the words "Smart Health" on the face of the time piece. It is not fancy or computer driven but it works. Sells for 39.99. Others here use FitBit. When this one dies, I may look into that, but I like that I can wear it without anyone noticing I am wearing a counter.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Mary,
I have been researching what to get & the "looks" of it does matter... I'll look for the one you mentioned. And would like to hear everyone's suggestions on the best... I do like the computerized versions too though.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #80
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning!

Debby--interesting info on the adrenal testing and your experiences, thanks for sharing! I go from exhausted to wired but I can't sleep very well and I can't nap....even when I'm exhausted. My Dr said the only real treatment would be cutting down or avoiding sugar, gluten, perservatives/chemicals, etc. and she did think that some of the natural supplements might be helpful. I haven't delved too far into the supplement stuff but I really need to. We have a health food store here that is really pricey BUT they have incredibly knowledgeable staff and I think if I just went in and spoke with the owner she could probably help me figure out where to start---so now saying this 'out loud' I need to do it!! I have never been to a naturopath but I really want to. I doubt my current insurance would cover it but it might be worth it just to see what they say.

Mary---yes, I definitely need to get more of the short walks in during the day. I always think I can make up for it by taking a walk in the evening but I can't depend on the weather these days to cooperate---or I am so tired that I just don't want to. So today I will work on taking more walks on break. I luckily work on a large campus so even if the weather is bad I can get in a lot of indoor walking easily.

Kathy---sounds like a busy but fun weekend! So is this week 11 miles? Oh my gosh, less than 2 weeks until the day--very exciting! What is your weather supposed to be like that day? Hopefully a perfect fall day.

So I didn't even come close to my goal of averaging 10,000 steps a day last week. It came out to about 7200 per day. I'm going to change up my goal to averaging 7500 per day this week and slowly build my way up. I do much better at pushing myself when it seems more attainable!

I think I got serious about getting back to a healthy weight and back to healthy eating about a month ago. I've definitely had some ups and downs but I will have to say that my size 12's are all getting baggy. I have no size 10's so I'll just have to live with them until I get back into 8's and 6's which I have a full wardrobe of. But I'd rather live in baggy 12's than tight ones!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #81
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning! Another crazy day on tap. Taking Friday off, which means the next two weekends I will have 3 day weekends (Veteran's Day) and I'm not going to come into the office at all on those weekends if I can help it---yay!

Have a nice day everyone and come check in soon!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning! It's a nice sunny day here I'm getting ready to mow my yard for the last time this year. I bought some huge pumpkins at Aldi's for $1.29 each that have inspired me to do some Fall clean up work in the yard. I know the kids will want to carve them...but I'm mean and probably won't let them. I like to leave them out until Thanksgiving.

Teresa~ That's awesome to have two 3 day weekends in a row. And, before you know it Thanksgiving will be here! The kids have Wed-Friday off for Thanksgiving. Scott has Thurs-Friday off but he had an extra vacation day left so he took the following Monday off also.

My eating was not so great yesterday BUT, no sugar involved so hopefully it doesn't throw me off too much. It's looking like Sunday for my 11 mile run. After today the forecast is kinda rainy for a few days. Friday my teacher has a crazy new workout planned & it sounds like I'm gonna want to rest Saturday!!

I'm making a roast for supper tonight. The siding is finally done, he put the shutters on last night! Not that my MIL isn't a good cook but I am ready to cook my own food every night. It gets old hearing....oh, but you can't have that right? OR can you eat ____?

Debby~ I forgot to comment on the Moose!! How does it taste? Very interesting
Old 10-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just had a moose-burger Delicious!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #84
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning!

Debby---moose burger! Sounds interesting. So does moose have a gamey taste? Oh---and on your question about pedometers, I have an Omron and love it. They have various types but I got one of the more pricey ones that you don't even have to wear on your pants. You can put it on the cord that comes with it and wear it around your neck, put it in your pocket, in your purse, etc. and it's very accurate. It keeps track of at least 7 days of stats, calculates your really active minutes of walking, I think it can calculate calorie burn and that kind of stuff too but I honestly haven't played with it too much. I just loved that I didn't have to wear it on my waist band if I didn't want to and get an accurate measure and that it holds the data for a week so that I can do averages without having to write it all down somewhere.

Kathy---Glad you got the siding job done! How did eating go yesterday? I hate that one bad day can throw things off---it definitely can do that for me too. Sunday....11 miles?? Yikes and exciting! Gosh, just a little over a week and you are going to do something that most people would never even attempt---especially most people who have ever been obese---pretty darn amazing!!

Gotta run---it's gonna be a busy day!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi
Moose & deer only taste gamey if the hunter does a bad job of cleaning it.
I like it much better than beef & on my diet, its so much healthier (have to watch out for foreign chemicals).

Thanks for the feedback on counters... checking out now. Have a good one!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning & Happy Halloween! I hope everyone is avoiding the candy bowl today.

Yesterday was my dad's birthday (he passed away on July 1st this year) he would have been 73. My kids didn't want grandma to be alone so I made dinner and took it over to her house. She thanked me on the phone today, I know she has really been struggling lately. We go to the gym together M,W, & F (she does water aerobics) and my daughter stays every Saturday night with her (long time tradition) so she has plenty of outside interaction. I just think winter will be hard for her, she lives at the lake and in the summer there is plenty to do & she has extra people in the neighborhood at the summer homes.

I did end up eating tortilla chips last night....ugh!! Avoided the sugar again. I guess I need to plan better and go back to my rule of no eating after supper. That was a good rule! I haven't lived by it in a couple years

I don't think there will be any trick or treating around here.....we are supposed to get up to 4 inches of rain and it is going to be very windy.....yuck!
Old 10-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #87
Blabbermouth!!!

My goal was to walk at least 10,000 each day this month. Succeeded

I wanted to exceed the 137 miles I walked in September - walked 147 miles or 357,500 steps

I have been tracking my steps since June 1 and have walked 680 miles or 1,460,000 steps.

When we started this challenge, I wanted to maintain my weight within a 5 lb margin.
On Sept 1st, it was 149 and today was 146 lbs. Total loss since 2001 is 230 lbs.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #88
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning! It's Nov. 1?!?!

Kathy---I'm glad your mom has all of you to keep her company, that is so important right now. Do any of her family, siblings, cousins, etc. live in the area? My mom doesn't have any of us kids nearby or even in the same state unfortunately, but her sister and several relatives are in the area so thankfully she has a lot of family as well as some friends that she grew up with.

I did not avoid the candy bowl....or any of the other Halloween goodies that were all over the office. Thank goodness Thanksgiving isn't a candy holiday---those types of holidays are my worst enemy.

Mary---congratulations on accomplishing and exceeding your goals for the month!! And WOW on 230 lbs down!

Off work today although I feel a bit guilty about it as there is a lot of crap going on and I hate to leave my staff to deal with it. But hopefully I can go back Monday a bit refreshed and ready to tackle all the junk that needs to be dealt with. My goal this weekend is the same as always---clean, organize, pay bills, yada yada....the never ending stuff. Also need to pack up my car with a ton of donations and go drop them off and go get an oil change. Oh yeah, and need to grocery shop and food prep. Sometimes it sucks being a grown up---there never seems to be time on the weekend to have fun or just chill.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Yep, it's Nov. 1st. Brooke reminds me daily....she will be 17 next Thursday!

I did really good yesterday! Hopefully today will be good too. All I usually need is a couple good days of eating really clean and I get rid of cravings. That and my race is next Saturday.....eek! So far the forecast is predicting a low of 31 Friday night and a high of 51 on Saturday. The race starts at 8am so I'm guessing it will be at 35 out when we start. I am hoping to finish in about 2hrs 15-20min. At least there is no rain in the forecast so far

Teresa ~ Enjoy your day off....we have the same goals. Except I am going to list some stuff on Ebay to make some extra $$ for Christmas. I already went to the gym, delivered a Scentsy Party, and went to Walmart....now on to the cleaning part

Yes, we have a huge family and 95% of us live within 20 minutes of each other. My 3 sisters live about 6-9 miles away & my brother lives 20 miles away. Mom has 9 living siblings that all live within a 20 mile radius. So lots of people around....we just have to keep her in mind as we go about our daily lives.

Mary~ You are doing great!! I think I saw you on Facebook ~ do you belong to the LC Ladybug group?
Old 11-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

No, kathy, but I will check it out.

I typed miles wrong. Steps are the same but the 680 should be 584 miles.