Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #361
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emita View Post
That's good! Enjoy it all! The intermittent fasting probably takes care of excess carbs easily.
I find it’s a very flexible combination.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #362
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
Interesting! My mother is 59 and suffers from migraines and IBS, I have been trying to convince her to go keto for a while, and she admits she probably would do fine with it, but is very resistant to change.

*nod* makes sense that it's difficult to build muscle. As long as you're doing resistance training I'd say that's your best bet! Perhaps some swimming or water aerobics?
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #363
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/137.4/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I'm currently in a range of 115-120lbs but I'm usually at around 114-117lbs (looking at my records).

For body composition purposes, and related to my low level of skeletal muscle mass, I want to reduce my body fat from its current 30% to 23-25%. For me, that means 110-115lbs (25% range) and then 105-110lb (23% range).

However, although it's theoretically healthier for me to be within those ranges, if reality seems otherwise, then I'll think up a different strategy. I don't want to feel that I've failed if I don't achieve these ranges because that might jeopardise my maintenance.
Thank you....this helped too....Im at 20.8 %....

Your last paragraph spoke to me..
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #364
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
I usually think in terms of about a five pound range. Currently 110-115, but I’d quite like to drop that so I stay below 112. With 2 weeks in France coming up, that won’t be happening just yet!
It seems for me setting the lower number is harder than I thought....
Old 07-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #365
Senior LCF Member

This discussion has challenged me...I am really working on the long term strategies...the ones I used before that worked until I didn't do them....new standards and insights I can work into a strategy..that works...1 day at a time...1 month at a time...1 year at a time..

I want to have a plan that alerts me to a need to readjust my plan..(something no longer is working )......or refocus...or become more diligent.....

Last time I stopped exercising first....slow carb slide...then quit weighing.....when I got to a certain undeniably bigger point.I made excuses....sz x isn't so bad...Im older, I can expect to gain some..etc....

This time I want to stop the slide..before it gets to "out of control"
goal made 04.04.14
Old 07-17-2014, 05:17 AM   #366
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
Start Date: Restart January 2014
When I slide, it starts when I 1)stop checking the boards, 2) stop weighing, and then 3) start letting extra carbs creep in. It's like, if I don't check the scale, I must not be gaining. In the past, I've been able to fool myself very easily. I'm trying to be smarter.
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:18 AM   #367
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
Start Date: Restart January 2014
As evidenced here, maintenance still requires motivation.
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #368
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
I also tend to avoid the boards when I feel less confident... it's as if we're more active if we want to brag, or seek help! I've been trying to keep myself accountable but still participatory when it comes to group meals, celebrations, parties. I find this removes the emotional roller coaster and pessimism. It's the hardest part.
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:32 AM   #369
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
You go that right! Maintaning is HARD and does require lots of motivation. I just take it day by day, and if I slip one day, or two, I just get back on track the next day. ASAP! I don't know what would happen if I ate whatever whenever...oh yeah, now I know, I will gain all my weight back and then some. I worked to hard( as I know you all did too) to let that happen

Quick question, do you all have a 5 pound weight rule? Is that safe, you know with water weight and all. I guess what I asking is do you feel its ok to fluctuate about 5 pounds up or down? I have been gaining and losing the same 5 pounds forever now it seems
Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #370
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileygirl3 View Post

Quick question, do you all have a 5 pound weight rule? Is that safe, you know with water weight and all. I guess what I asking is do you feel its ok to fluctuate about 5 pounds up or down? I have been gaining and losing the same 5 pounds forever now it seems

So far Ive decided on a 5 lb rule.....Ive only gained...lost within a 2lb range...
Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #371
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbedD View Post
So far Ive decided on a 5 lb rule.....Ive only gained...lost within a 2lb range...
Thanks for your response. I keep it within that limits, but boy is it hard LOL!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #372
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have a 5 lb range--and I've gained and lost those 5 lbs several times.

I can't keep it any narrower because I can gain 5 lbs easily in just a couple of days--without major overeating either. It's one of the joys of old age
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #373
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
IMHO, Maintenance is just as hard as the initial weight loss. Hard isn't the correct word. I mean I must remain as vigilant. I must continue those things that got me to this point in my LC WOE journey and if I don't, I'll go back to "Fat Jo" (my carb loving alter ego) because I'm a recovering morbidly obese carb addict. (You can't change what you don't acknowledge.)
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #374
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
I am about 5 lbs give or take. Most days, I can stick within my 1-2 lbs though. I think maintenance is ok, not really hard. I find it more about finding the motivation to keep losing? I recognize I "could" lose another 5 but then I don't implement the appropriate strategies. It is ok though, I feel like now that school calmed down and I am getting proper sleep, I can shed these last five!
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #375
Senior LCF Member

For now my body has settled on 140 something.....Im totally content with that..Im 5'9"....my BMI is 20.8....Im a sz 2....xsm tops... a 5 lb range seems like a huge range...Id be a sz 4 and a size sm if I gain another 5 lbs....especially since 149 is still a great weight for me.....5 lbs is a sz for me....I realized it isn't about a size BUT about fitness.....energy...health..life...
Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #376
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Quote:
For now my body has settled on 140 something.....Im totally content with that..Im 5'9"....my BMI is 20.8....Im a sz 2....xsm tops... a 5 lb range seems like a huge range...Id be a sz 4 and a size sm if I gain another 5 lbs....especially since 149 is still a great weight for me.....5 lbs is a sz for me....I realized it isn't about a size BUT about fitness.....energy...health..life...
Deb

So blesses to be 5'9! You look great and yes it really is about overall health.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #377
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileygirl3 View Post
Quote:
I keep a 5 lbs range because I can easily gain 5 lbs in <24hrs if I eat something salty, take some NSAIDs, or pick up some post-workout DOMS/swelling/bruising. And, to be a tad indelicate, it's not difficult to have a scale uptick if I've take a couple of doses of paracetamol/acetaminophen combined with codeine because that tends to bring the distal regions of my digestive/elimination system to a screeching halt.

So, if the 5 lbs happens quickly or I have a shrewd idea of what happened to contribute to it, that is OK. If I didn't have a reason for the uptick and it stayed around for a couple of days, then I'd definitely take remedial action of some sort.

Constant vigilance seems to be the guiding principle of maintenance (as per Leo41).

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #378
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
I'm a little nervous because my scale is broken.....so I'm testing myself to see how well I can maintain without knowing. I can always go over to my mom's house - she lives like 5 minutes from me- and check on her scale if I think I've gone overboard. I just feel like I've been maintaining for almost 2 full years now (this October will be 2 years since I hit 135) and even though I've gone up and down it's never been more than around 5 lbs one way or the other.

I will definitely get a new scale at some point, but first I'm going to see how I do on my own intuition. Luckily for me it's Summer, which means more outdoor activity, more grilling, and less holidays focused on eating the wrong foods.

It is very hard to maintain. Ugh.

Jessica
35yo Wife and Mother of two amazing kids (ages 2 & 4)

Visit my Journal - My So Called Low Carb Life
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #379
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
I live more by a 2 lb rule. 5 lbs can make my pants too tight since I have a small frame. I weigh daily to keep me accountable in my eating. If I eat too many carbs, it shows up within 1-2 days which reminds me that I cannot eat off plan. I started working out again about 3 wks ago, so I'm trying to be flexible w/ a little weight gain as I build muscle, but I need to be careful that I don't let it give me an excuse to overeat.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #380
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Ships I am on maintenance too. Is it okay to eat my fave sweets or foods is I am maintaining. I eat a lot of meat and fat and veggies but sometimes I have Reesees or Snickers or regular ice cream and don't gain. I am a runner too.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #381
Major LCF Poster!

Is it okay to eat a big 12 oz. ribeye when starving or tempted? I have no desire for pasta or bread, just sweets.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #382
Major LCF Poster!

I am a runner too. I am always training for the next marathon. I try to eat high fat high protein most of the time. The only thing I do eat after a big run is my sweets which isn't Atkins but I don't seem to gain. I love to run to eat! I used to be fruitarian and raw but was always soooo hungry and even gained on it.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Oriana, I indulge in sweets too at times since I've been in maintenance, but too much does cause me to gain, so that just means I need to get back to strict eating. Sweets also are my weakness, not pasta, bread, potatoes, etc. I have to remind myself that there is little nutritional value in sweets & eating them is not healthy for me, so that helps me resist them. I think if your eating plan is working for you, then it's ok to continue the way you have been.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #384
Major LCF Poster!

Ship, what does a typical day look like for you. I run a lot and love to eat. When I eat sweets they usually contain a lot of at and maybe that is why I don't gain much. Like Haagen dazs ice cream is very high in fat, also Reesees with peanut butter or Snickers with nuts. I love my ribeye steaks though with a lot of fat on them. How big of a steak can you have? And is ranch dressing okay?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #385
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
Eeek, according to mom's scale yesterday i'm up to 140. This no weighing thing is probably not going to work out. Time to drop the carbies for a few days and get back down to my comfort zone. ALSO Time to shop for a scale too. Ugh.
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #386
Senior LCF Member

I basically try to keep my carbs below 20g/day. I typically eat a 2 egg/meat omelet & 2c of coffee for breakfast. Hot lunch of meat & veggies. Salad for supper. Snack between meals of cheese, SF jello, low carb yogurt. My meals are very simple since I still enjoy fixing higher carb meals for my family. I don't eat steak very often. I do not like Ranch dressing on my salads, but I wish I did since it is so low carb. My fav is poppy seed dressing. I read labels for everything I eat & plan accordingly. I live by the scale & how my pants fit.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #387
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CuriousCat
Stats: 215/149/145-135 range or lower
WOE: LCHF under 20gms total carbs
Start Date: 11/21/13
I am approaching my upper goal weight (it may adjust lower with time but I've never weighed less than 145 for more than a minute and 145 has only been achieved for less than 3 years out of the last 30) and I'm discovering a well of anxiety coming to the fore as I close in. Did any of you experience this? 5 pounds ago I was really looking forward to it and thinking that I'd like to be done and maintaining already but now that I have 6 lbs to go to see 145 on that readout I'm feeling all panic attack like. Any ideas?

End goal 145 lowest adult weight I've ever achieved. (only 5 pounds away now )

I've decided I actually want to be lower now that I'm so close. Going to try for 135 and a normal BMI!
CuriousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #388
Major LCF Poster!

Curious Cat do you have a food menu and have you ever cheated? Do you count calories?

Last edited by oriana; 08-11-2014 at 08:55 AM..
Old 08-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #389
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CuriousCat
Stats: 215/149/145-135 range or lower
WOE: LCHF under 20gms total carbs
Start Date: 11/21/13
I generally just count my carbs and keep it under 20. I have had small cheats along the way, mostly from situations I didn't think to prepare ahead so had to eat what was available. I don't count calories and never will.
CuriousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:26 AM   #390
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:

As for building muscle, with post-menopause hormone status, I'd do well to maintain muscle, it's not readily feasible to build new muscle. (Yes, I strength train etc.)
Quote:

Constant vigilance seems to be the guiding principle of maintenance (as per Leo41).
A year ago I retired...last April I started Kettlebell routines...I am pleased to still be active and don't want to loose that muscle...ie. sarcopenia.

I have been watching the muscles become more defined in the past month with patient constant vigilance.
I am surprised at this muscle growthbut am pleased that I am more mobil, flexable, energetic, and all around better frame of mind.
I only "swing" 3 days a week. I focus on form to prevent injury.
I have graduated my kettle bell size to 20#(9.1kilo)...slowly...I want strength in my core to stay as healthy and as active for as long as I can.
For our 45th anniversary, Our Son gave us each a Flex Fitbit...he wants us strong too...

Last edited by Galveston Gal; 09-03-2014 at 02:29 AM..
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote