Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/135.4/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Jo...I love your avatar...doesn't even look like the same woman!!
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

My CCL is most likely 30-35....I am NOT lamenting.....nor complaining...nor grieving...Im celebrating..I know my limits.!!! If I know them I can respect them...as I slip into my sz 4 jeans without a problem( and a new pr of sz 2!)...scale the canyon boulders without panting....have exquisite lab numbers.....look and feel way younger than my 59 yrs...nothing food has promised to give me compares with this...!!!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
nikki-
Don't think of 20-25g of carbs as 'unfair' for a CCL. That's my CCL, too, and I'm so used to eating this way that it doesn't bother me at all. I allow myself to have an off-plan 'carby' day every 6-8 weeks, and I did that during weight loss, too. It doesn't seem to have harmed me.

I've been maintaining on about 20g of carbs daily (usually less) for almost 4 years, and I honestly don't want to eat any other way, nor do I feel at all 'deprived.'

Where our CCL is concerned, "It is what it is." Weight management is important to me, and I'm glad I know my CCL so that I can manage my weight more effectively.
It's hard for me because I am a vegetarian and I need to eat a variety of vegetables, legumes and dairy. I cannot permanently subsist on only eggs and broccoli. I am hoping with physical activity and weight training to increase my CCLM to 35-40 so that I can enjoy more variety (veggies, legumes, tofu, & cheeses - but NO grains) in my diet.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:09 AM   #304
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
nikki

Please keep in mind that there is nothing 'magical' about eating low carb. When Dr. A wrote about one's CCL, I suspect he was addressing people like me who have serious metabolic issues. Anyone who gets to over 300 lbs usually has such problems. Thus, the reason I continue to eat low carb is that above 30g of carbs, my appetite is insatiable, and it would be almost impossible for me not to gain weight.

That's not true of most people, especially those who have used low carb mainly to lose weight. From what I've read, most people can easily maintain on 100g-200g of carbs. That's what Mark Sisson advocates, and he and many of those who follow his Primal eating find that they manage easily with that carb level.

Carbs are NOT what cause weight gain--it's overeating (eating beyond one's caloric needs). It's only when carbs are not well tolerated by those of us with metabolic dysfunctions that we need to keep them so low--to manage our appetite and our weight.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:56 AM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbedD View Post
My CCL is most likely 30-35....I am NOT lamenting.....nor complaining...nor grieving...Im celebrating..I know my limits.!!! If I know them I can respect them...as I slip into my sz 4 jeans without a problem( and a new pr of sz 2!)...scale the canyon boulders without panting....have exquisite lab numbers.....look and feel way younger than my 59 yrs...nothing food has promised to give me compares with this...!!!!!
Thanks for the post about my avatar -- and you're right I don't look like the same woman because there was 2 of me there!!

You're lucky that you know what your limits are -- I agree, I am not complaining that my daily carb intake is low compared to others and I respect that as well -- you kill me!! Love the part about slippin into your size 4 jeans Good one, LCD, as I too slip into mine!!!

A poster named Tweaker Geek came up with an awesome quote that I changed up a bit for my needs, I think it is sooo appropriate! If I've shared it before, I apologize!

“Nothing Tastes as Good as Being at my Personal Weight Goal Feels!”

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a Diet,
It’s my Salvation, my KEY to being
Healthy, Happy and Thinner!”
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:59 AM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
nikki
Carbs are NOT what cause weight gain--it's overeating (eating beyond one's caloric needs). It's only when carbs are not well tolerated by those of us with metabolic dysfunctions that we need to keep them so low--to manage our appetite and our weight.

Well said, Leo!!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

Today is my 11 month anniversary of consistent exercise!!!! I am really proud of that.....I know some l/c ers are not convinced of the benefit or need for exercise....Its essential for me..It has changed my outlook...my body shape...my energy level..my fitness....it encourages me to continue eating well and on plan.....I just plain FEEL better...I use my Fitbit daily ( ok unless I cant find it or forget) I love it....I find I park further away...or walk the long way when I have it on....I also use Map My Walk app for my designated exercise...it keeps me motivated... I just bought a Jillian Michaels DVD for the hot summer..Im resisting going back to the Y..its boring...I can walk if I do it around 6am in the hottest part of summer.....
goal made 04.04.14
Old 05-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Deb- Congrats. Good for you!!

I weighed in at 118 today. Not the best day. i am striving for 112. I feel heavy.

I still struggle with how much protein/fat I should eat to get me to my weight. Do you still keep your fat relatively low?
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:13 AM   #309
Senior LCF member

Deb-
I think the exercise issue is that experts warn that people should not rely on exercise for weight loss or think it's essential. The studies show that where weight is concerned, at least 90% is due to what we eat--or don't eat.

However, I share your enthusiasm for consistent exercise--but in my experience it's part of keeping my life in balance. When I'm regularly working out, I'm also keeping my house in shape (clutter free and clean) and attending to other chores--AND not overeating. Not exercising for me usually reflects a 'funk' that affects all areas of my life.

For me, effective weight management is one aspect of 'life management'--always a challenge.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

Leo...you made me laugh.....it is soooo true...my house is more organized....my office more streamlined...even my car stays cleaner...when Im"on my roll"..I just read a study on long term weight maintenance....Id put the link if I could remember where I read it I read tons of research journal articles to keep on top of the current "knowledge" in my field...and ran across one...the stats on maintenance are depressing.....over 5 years being this study's standard....some of the reasons are common sense...people return to their old way of eating.....yup....but exercise ....diligence in monitoring eating...regular weighing....and I think accountability were the common thread in successful maintainers...

Your term "lifestyle management" may be a better term...
Old 05-15-2014, 02:38 AM   #311
Major LCF Poster!

Great posts Leo and LowCarbed!! And I agree completely!!

I'm an exerciser too (I it!!) and I know that one does not have to when doing this LC WOE but it's like the cherry on top.

Its interesting reading some of the posts in the other areas here and people will say things like I was in the gym for 45 mins yesterday, wonder if that's why I didn't lose weight or I gained weight today (cause they think 45 mins in the gym will convert fat into muscle... etc). They don't seem to understand that if you're not a professional athlete working out 6-8 hours + a day, you're really not burning a lot of calories... For example: At 123 lbs, if I walk for 1 hour at 3 mph (walking the dog pace) = 184 kcals, IMHO, but there are more benefits to exercising then just the calories that are expended.

“This WOE is not a Diet,

Last edited by Just Jo; 05-15-2014 at 02:40 AM..
Old 05-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #312
Senior LCF member

Jo-
In addition to people overestimating how many calories they 'burn' with exercise, I really laugh when I read that dieters think they're gaining muscle from working out. You can 'develop' existing muscle--which makes you more toned and doesn't add weight, but to actuality 'add' muscle that results in weight gain (as bodybuilders do) the person has to eat excess calories. Anyone trying to lose weight and eating at a deficit cannot 'gain' muscle--it's physically impossible.

What's more likely happening to people who don't lose or gain while working out is the phenomenon that Taubes and others have noted. Exercise may dampen appetite initially, but in the course of the day it will cause more hunger. The person will unconsciously eat more than usual (larger portions or more snacks) because of this hunger.

That's why on JUDDD, Dr. Johnson cautions against working out on DDs. A person eating only 300-400 cal for the day should not work out (it can be dangerous), and it's much more important for the plan to keep to the calorie level than to work out and eat more to compensate.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
nikki

Please keep in mind that there is nothing 'magical' about eating low carb. When Dr. A wrote about one's CCL, I suspect he was addressing people like me who have serious metabolic issues. Anyone who gets to over 300 lbs usually has such problems. Thus, the reason I continue to eat low carb is that above 30g of carbs, my appetite is insatiable, and it would be almost impossible for me not to gain weight.

That's not true of most people, especially those who have used low carb mainly to lose weight. From what I've read, most people can easily maintain on 100g-200g of carbs. That's what Mark Sisson advocates, and he and many of those who follow his Primal eating find that they manage easily with that carb level.

Well, I am probably not "normal" in this regard. I have damaged my metabolism with several 1-2 year periods of bingeing followed by one year bouts of anorexia, plus years and years of yo-yo dieting. Now that I am close to goal, and struggling not to descend back into anorexia to lose the last 10-15 pounds, I currently maintain when I eat about 1300 calories. I exercise daily and I use a Fitbit to make sure I am not overestimating my basic activity level. However, even at 1300 calories with daily exercise, my maximum CCLM is currently around 25. I think I can safely say that I now have a very slow, carb-sensitive metabolism.

Calculators estimate my BMR at about 1250, but in reality it's probably more like 900.

Enter weight training, to increase my basal metabolic rate, use up some carbs, and burn calories so I can have a little more wiggle room in my diet. I don't wish to be stuck at 1300 calories and 25 carbs for life. I guess if I have to, I have to. But now that I'm almost at goal, I am taking steps to strengthen my body and build a better metabolism so I can eat more healthy carbs, more calories overall, and I won't have to go through this yo-yo again.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Jo....I love your avatar...looks like you are in a band?
Old 05-16-2014, 04:30 AM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Jo-
In addition to people overestimating how many calories they 'burn' with exercise, I really laugh when I read that dieters think they're gaining muscle from working out. You can 'develop' existing muscle--which makes you more toned and doesn't add weight, but to actuality 'add' muscle that results in weight gain (as bodybuilders do) the person has to eat excess calories. Anyone trying to lose weight and eating at a deficit cannot 'gain' muscle--it's physically impossible.

What's more likely happening to people who don't lose or gain while working out is the phenomenon that Taubes and others have noted. Exercise may dampen appetite initially, but in the course of the day it will cause more hunger. The person will unconsciously eat more than usual (larger portions or more snacks) because of this hunger.

That's why on JUDDD, Dr. Johnson cautions against working out on DDs. A person eating only 300-400 cal for the day should not work out (it can be dangerous), and it's much more important for the plan to keep to the calorie level than to work out and eat more to compensate.
I agree completely Leo.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-16-2014, 04:37 AM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Well, I am probably not "normal" in this regard. I have damaged my metabolism with several 1-2 year periods of bingeing followed by one year bouts of anorexia, plus years and years of yo-yo dieting. Now that I am close to goal, and struggling not to descend back into anorexia to lose the last 10-15 pounds, I currently maintain when I eat about 1300 calories. I exercise daily and I use a Fitbit to make sure I am not overestimating my basic activity level. However, even at 1300 calories with daily exercise, my maximum CCLM is currently around 25. I think I can safely say that I now have a very slow, carb-sensitive metabolism.

Calculators estimate my BMR at about 1250, but in reality it's probably more like 900.

Enter weight training, to increase my basal metabolic rate, use up some carbs, and burn calories so I can have a little more wiggle room in my diet. I don't wish to be stuck at 1300 calories and 25 carbs for life. I guess if I have to, I have to. But now that I'm almost at goal, I am taking steps to strengthen my body and build a better metabolism so I can eat more healthy carbs, more calories overall, and I won't have to go through this yo-yo again.
nikki, I don't think any of us are "normal" we are such individuals that what works for one doesn't work for another -- hence the tweaking we do to follow this WOE and get the results we want. We have to do what works for us and whatever that may be, we have to be willing to live with it for a life time IF we want to keep the weight off. Because that is our main goal...

You get 25 carbs?
Looks like I may only be able to maintain the weight loss at probably tops 15 carbs and no more than 1400 kcals daily and I am willing to accept that because mentally and physically I am ready to continue this the rest of my life because I REFUSE to REGAIN!!

I'm sick and tired of the yo-yoing too!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-16-2014, 04:42 AM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Jo....I love your avatar...looks like you are in a band?
It's not a band (but I was in one years ago playing bass). It's my guitar students at this year's Star with the Arts Spring performance. They were amazing!! The progress the guitar students make from Aug to end of school in May is remarkable -- they even surprise themselves when I show them their first concert from October... I teaching. I get to teach all my hobbies and I get paid for it! I'm a Family and Consumer Scientist (Home Ec for ppl of my generation), so I teach cooking, nutrition, health and sewing, knitting etc. I also teach computers/technology and Guitar.

“This WOE is not a Diet,

Last edited by Just Jo; 05-16-2014 at 04:44 AM..
Old 05-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #318
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
You get 25 carbs?
Looks like I may only be able to maintain the weight loss at probably tops 15 carbs and no more than 1400 kcals daily and I am willing to accept that because mentally and physically I am ready to continue this the rest of my life because I REFUSE to REGAIN!!

I'm sick and tired of the yo-yoing too!
I get 25 carbs if I want to maintain. Since I am still trying to lose, I get more like 15. It sounds like you and I have a similar metabolism. 15 carbs and 1400 calories for maintenance? Waaaaa!

I am definitely planning to set some fitness goals over the summer so that I can up my metabolism, sculpt my physique, increase my endurance, etc. I want to be able to eat a little more than my 1300 calories. I want to be strong. And I want to be able to run 5k.

Again, the main reason I'd like to increase my CCLM is because I am a vegetarian and I need to eat more, well, vegetables. And legumes. Because right now I eat ZERO legumes and nearly all my protein comes from eggs and dairy, but I want to switch to a more plant-based diet and eat less animal protein. Which will require me to consume more carbs.

So, I guess I need to start hitting the gym. My classes get out in three weeks so I plan to start then.

Last edited by nikki; 05-16-2014 at 07:44 AM..
Old 05-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
I get 25 carbs if I want to maintain. Since I am still trying to lose, I get more like 15. It sounds like you and I have a similar metabolism. 15 carbs and 1400 calories for maintenance? Waaaaa!

I am definitely planning to set some fitness goals over the summer so that I can up my metabolism, sculpt my physique, increase my endurance, etc. I want to be able to eat a little more than my 1300 calories. I want to be strong. And I want to be able to run 5k.

Again, the main reason I'd like to increase my CCLM is because I am a vegetarian and I need to eat more, well, vegetables. And legumes. Because right now I eat ZERO legumes and nearly all my protein comes from eggs and dairy, but I want to switch to a more plant-based diet and eat less animal protein. Which will require me to consume more carbs.

So, I guess I need to start hitting the gym. My classes get out in three weeks so I plan to start then.
This is a good goal - being vegetarian on LC is not impossible, but more difficult because as you said, it'll bump up your net carbs.

Don't forget that muscle work / anaerobic exercise burns glucose before fat, so if you want to use any excess carbs be sure to pump some iron or do squats BEFORE your cardio, and more frequently than cardio.

I'm lucky that I've built a TON of muscle during the time when I consumed way too many calories - my maintenance is about 1600cal/40g carb. I'm back at my weight from pre-LC WOE, but the body composition is completely different - my small pants still fit and my upper body is a lot leaner looking still.

I love that since I stick to my carbs, if I overdo on calories it tends to go more easily to muscle than fat.
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #320
Major LCF Poster!

143 lbs!!!!....the bloat from Mother's Day is gone......I guess Im still not maintaining...but I am maintaining/losing slightly so Im close to figuring it out...

A day or two of meat/egg fast readjusts me...still need to fine tune....find what kind of carbs I want to add...l/c ice cream? eh..
Old 05-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emita View Post
Don't forget that muscle work / anaerobic exercise burns glucose before fat, so if you want to use any excess carbs be sure to pump some iron or do squats BEFORE your cardio, and more frequently than cardio.
I am definitely more about weight training than cardio anyways. When I am working out, I always include a moderate amount of cardio for the cardio benefits, but since I am not trying to lose weight or even burn a lot of calories with it, it is not my main focus. My main focus will building muscles so that my basal metabolic rate will be higher.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:23 AM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I guess Im still not maintaining...but I am maintaining/losing slightly so Im close to figuring it out...

A day or two of meat/egg fast readjusts me...still need to fine tune....find what kind of carbs I want to add...l/c ice cream? eh..
Yep I hear you LowCarbedD, same boat Im in! But we'll figure it out. Wow what a problem to have huh? I'm thinking back a year ago and I was HUGE. Actually last May I tipped the scales at 265... so in reality I've lost 142 lbs total since then... HOLY HANNAH!!

You all would have been so proud of me. Thursday night I had to bake a cake for one of my classes. Had the DH watch me as I mixed it up so I wouldn't absent-mindedly take a taste, you know how you do when you're cooking... and then I had him watch me while I frosted it. I passed with flying colors!! Then when I was serving it up with ice cream to the kiddos, I wasn't the slightest bit tempted to eat the finished product... weird huh? But I'm not complaining!!!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #323
Major LCF Poster!

Awesome JO!!!!
Old 05-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

We got up early to do a charity 5k walk/run...made great time....9min mile according to their timer...then went over to our grandkids yard sale for their youth group fundraiser..we paid them so that we DIDNT have to take anything home!!!!! Perfect deal...Then went to breakfast...steak omelet...lots of sauted veggies...2 bites of crispy fried potatoes...eh.....but I did have a shocker...they are known for their pot of bread....I'd never eaten any when we have gone there.... figured Id taste it..so I took a small corner. 1/2 x 1/2 inch..put what I thought was butter on it...popped it in my mouth..ONLY to discover it was FROSTING..I literally gagged...that will teach me...figured MAX 25 carbs of foolishness....and yeah it reconfirmed....I can take or leave...mostly leave potatoes......and the "famous" pot of bread, needs to stay in its pot...
Old 05-18-2014, 04:03 AM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

Famous pot of bread needs to stay in the pot. Thanks for that, LowCarbedD !!

I was just writing in my journal this morning, that usually this time of the year for the past 14, I'd start motivating myself to lose the tonnage -- what with the end of school year and all. Get started, entrenched into eating LC during summer break, return to school 20-30 lbs lighter and continue until I made my personal goal weight.

And I'm telling myself, HOLY HANNAH, I don't have to do that this summer, I just have to reap the bennies of being 123 lbs and stay the course. I am mentally so tuned to staying LC that even the thought of eating carb crap makes me ill. Okay, I'm seriously doing the "happy-happy" dance!!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-18-2014, 05:16 AM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

What I failed to mention above was that, last year at the end of May, I weighed 265 lbs and yo-yoed around until I got my act together 5 July and really committed 100% to becoming a healthier, happier and thinner me!! So in reality, I've lost 142 lbs since this time last year. HOLY HANNAH...

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #327
Major LCF Poster!

I am doing ok....rough week....trying to find my balance...will weigh tomorrow to see if I "got it' or blew it....diet soda? only in limited quantities..it is a trigger if I drink more than a small...bars ( after exercise)-not sure....gave up choco almonds and cinnamon almonds...not worth the struggle....killer dave's bread...1 sl only...2 mess with my gastro...plums from my tree....no more than 3 ( they are small)- bind me up...I am not going back to tracking....I do know my carb count by now....the calorie counting triggers me to obsessive behavior....intensifies my struggle...I made the transition to the Y..I am doing 2 hrs or close to that a visit... Ill walk outside when the weather is in the low 90's and below....weighing in tomorrow..
Old 05-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am doing ok....rough week....trying to find my balance...will weigh tomorrow to see if I "got it' or blew it....diet soda? only in limited quantities..it is a trigger if I drink more than a small...bars ( after exercise)-not sure....gave up choco almonds and cinnamon almonds...not worth the struggle....killer dave's bread...1 sl only...2 mess with my gastro...plums from my tree....no more than 3 ( they are small)- bind me up...I am not going back to tracking....I do know my carb count by now....the calorie counting triggers me to obsessive behavior....intensifies my struggle...I made the transition to the Y..I am doing 2 hrs or close to that a visit... Ill walk outside when the weather is in the low 90's and below....weighing in tomorrow..
I've started taking my DH on walks -- he is so sedentary it's not funny -- but the man never gains a pound. I told him he needs to walk to keep his joints healthy. Since school let out, last Friday, I have been doing 6 hours a day on my stationary bike and 20 mins of wt training 4 x a week -- when school was in session, I'd do stationary bike 3 hrs a day with the 20 mins wt training 4 x a week. I am starting to get obsessive with the exercising -- I guess it's better than getting obsessive with food... I have nothing better to do since I am on Summer break.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:11 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Help, I know this is probably all just in my head. DH and I started walking a few weeks ago, he is now on LC (Cheers!!!))) Anywhoo, I feel my butt is getting bigger, serious here. What in the world? I have not gained any, but have not lost any. My hubby says its all in my head. Any opinions appreciated. No noticeable signs anywhere else. I used to work out in the winter never had my butt get big???
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileygirl3 View Post
Help, I know this is probably all just in my head. DH and I started walking a few weeks ago, he is now on LC (Cheers!!!))) Anywhoo, I feel my butt is getting bigger, serious here. What in the world? I have not gained any, but have not lost any. My hubby says its all in my head. Any opinions appreciated. No noticeable signs anywhere else. I used to work out in the winter never had my butt get big???
Muscle perhaps?
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote