Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > The Maintain Lane
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #271
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't exercise as much as you do. I move as much as possible and strength train just 2x a week. I would love to walk, but my bad knees and ankle make that difficult.

I used to swim laps, but shoulder injury forced me to quit (doctor told me to avoid overhead movements long term).

At age 72, I try to do enough to be healthy, but I don't really think it helps maintain my weight. For example, several times during weight loss, I had surgery and could do no exercise for a month at a time, and I lost the same as when I was exercising.

Mark Sisson warns against what he calls "chronic cardio" and argues that too much exercise can do more harm than good to the body. I hope he's right because it makes me feel better about my limited exercise.

Last edited by Leo41; 04-30-2014 at 05:25 PM..
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/122/130 BMI=20.9
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I don't exercise as much as you do. I move as much as possible and strength train just 2x a week. I would love to walk, but my bad knees and ankle make that difficult.

I used to swim laps, but shoulder injury forced me to quit (doctor told me to avoid overhead movements long term).

At age 72, I try to do enough to be healthy, but I don't really think it helps maintain my weight. For example, several times during weight loss, I had surgery and could do no exercise for a month at a time, and I lost the same as when I was exercising.

Mark Sisson warns against what he calls "chronic cardio" and argues that too much exercise can do more harm than good to the body. I hope he's right because it makes me feel better about my limited exercise.

I agree 100% about the exercise thing. I've lost tons of weight in the past without exercising and I've known plenty of people that have lost weight without a minute of exercising -- I'm sure you have too.

Let's face it, you'd have to be a world class athlete training 8 hour or more a day to really impact your weight. I'm not saying it doesn't help -- but it's like the cherry on top. I only exercise because I have varicose veins real bad in my legs and cycling really helps relieve the pain.

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a Diet,
It’s my Salvation, my KEY to being
Healthy, Happy and Thinner!”
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
I exercise for the psychological benefits, and to build muscle for that metabolic boost (I'm super petite, and at goal weight my calorie limit for maintaining is 1500 or less (will only decline with age!). Building lean body mass has helped that.

I tend to do 2 or 3 days of 60 minutes of cycling weekly, alternating with step aerobics/weight training classes and TRX resistiance training. If the weather is good I'll nix cycling and walk 5 miles instead. I also try to get to cycling early and lift weights before my cardio - helps use up any glycogen that I may have in my muscles. Love being 3x stronger than I was a year ago!

I don't do starchy veg much, despite loving the sweet potatos like I mentioned earlier - I try to portion and time them for maximum burn (post workout!) and combine them with a starch neutralizer supplement and cinnamon for blood sugar control. cauliflower mash is a regular thing to quell starch cravings for me.

Last edited by Emita; 05-01-2014 at 07:37 AM..
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/140.8/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
[B][/BAsparagus, Avocado, Bamboo Shoots, Bean Sprouts, Beet Greens, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chard, Chinese Cabbage, eggplant, Kale, Mushrooms, Onions, Peppers, Sauerkraut, Snow Pea Pods, Spinach, String Beans, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Water Chestnuts and Zucchini Squash.]

Yep I do these..
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Soooo close to joining this group...

Another month or two.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:40 AM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Day 307 on this life changing WOE

I have been immensely committed to this LC WOE for the past 307 days. I have not been tempted to eat those toxic killer carbs at any point during this journey (except for the “Thanksgiving Fiasco of 2013”) which is a remarkable feat in itself. I have been so dedicated to this and what it means to my self-esteem more than what it means to my health. Well I don’t/didn’t have any health issues related to being chronically morbidly obese that others suffer because of their weight, which is a blessing onto itself. I must continue to follow this LC WOE because I have put so much effort into it and I know I am mentally and physically ready to continue. I REFUSE to REGAIN!

I understand that I will never ever be able to eat carbs like “Fat Jo” use to eat, which is fine with me because I hate her and everything she represents, most importantly her lack of self-control when it came to eating. I am a control freak and as of 307 days ago, that was ONE of the few areas of my life that I could not or would not control. Now I am in complete control of my eating. “Nothing Tastes as Good as being at my Personal Weight Goal feels!!”

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #277
Senior LCF member

I can't relate to your post, Jo, because I don't hate my formerly obese self. I know that throughout my life I did the best I could under a variety of circumstances, and, for some reason, I was never in a 'place' that allowed me to maintain a normal weight. I was astoundingly successful professionally, and perhaps that focus caused me to ignore my weight/food issues. I don't know, but I do know that I have no 'hate' for that obese me.

I have found that maintenance (approaching 4 years now) presents a variety of challenges, and while I share your refusal to regain, I've found myself having to deal with several unexpected (and unanticipated) problems. My 'food issues' didn't disappear with the weight, and they require my constant vigilance. I am grateful for my current mental state that has allowed me to maintain, but I regard that as a 'gift.' I don't know how I got here, and I have my fingers crossed that I can stay here.

Rather than think about what I'll 'never' do, I prefer to take it a day at a time and focus on meeting whatever challenges I experience that day.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

I love the exercise part...it is what makes the difference for me from being thin...and being fit ,energized and thin....

I cant say I hate the old fat me...I did hate being fat...sluggish...tired....depressed and ill focused....not able to be active.

145.4 today...in my range....I may up my exercise...Im not making my 6hrs goal...not sure why.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #279
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
After the accident I had two months ago, my appetite is just getting back to normal in that I am now able to eat raw veggies like a salad. I don't trust that I have my mojo back, but I am getting there.

Thank you both for sharing your struggles and successes.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:16 AM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
My 'food issues' didn't disappear with the weight, and they require my constant vigilance. I am grateful for my current mental state that has allowed me to maintain, but I regard that as a 'gift.' I don't know how I got here, and I have my fingers crossed that I can stay here.

Rather than think about what I'll 'never' do, I prefer to take it a day at a time and focus on meeting whatever challenges I experience that day.

I completely agree, Leo. I understand that the food issues don't disappear with the weight and that I will have to be constantly vigilant. But I think less about food now then I did when I was morbidly obese. I know that the past 10 months + have rewired my thoughts about food...

You know how people eat cause they are stressed out or they are emotional eaters or it's TOM or it's____________ [fill in the blank]? That's never been my issue, I could just eat -- period, didn't need a reason because I just liked to eat. It's so different now. I wish I could explain it better.

And I really do hate "Fat Jo" because she killed the best parts of me: my health and my self-esteem.

“This WOE is not a Diet,

Last edited by Just Jo; 05-08-2014 at 12:17 AM..
Old 05-08-2014, 04:19 AM   #281
Blabbermouth!!!

JustJo, i like eating too, and I did't appreciate what it was to have a healthy appetute until I injured my brain an everything was upside down, mwaning things I used to loved to eat I has no desire for. Our brains control so much of what we desire. IMO. I crave the carby stuff like I haven't in the lat 13 years and it is a battle some days to walk away from it. In the hospital, they fed me sodium tablets and restricted my fluid for two weeks to regulate my sodium levels and BP. I normally have normal BP but the ibjury caused the BP to go wacky and the sodium to go very low. All this caused me to craved carbs because I lost weight. Now I am working to lose the weight gained from the carbs, the last 10 lbs.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:04 AM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
After the accident I had two months ago, my appetite is just getting back to normal in that I am now able to eat raw veggies like a salad. I don't trust that I have my mojo back, but I am getting there.

Thank you both for sharing your struggles and successes.

MaryMary, so glad that you are getting back to normal and I hope you get your mojo back real soon!! I'm cheering for you to lose those 10 lbs -- lordy you have come a long way and you are such an inspiration!

“This WOE is not a Diet,

Last edited by Just Jo; 05-08-2014 at 05:07 AM..
Old 05-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Mary...praying you have a complete recovery!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Yeah! I finally broke out of this maintenance mode I have been in for the past month and started to lose again. Inching closer to maintenance! I think the last 15 pounds really is just like maintenance because you lose it soooo slowly. So I can get an idea in the next three months what my diet will look like for the rest of my life. And it's not bad!

I eat when I'm hungry, I (usually) stop when I'm full, and I only eat super-healthy, low-carb foods. Not a bad way-of-eating for a lifetime of health.

Hoping to join this group for real verrry sooon.

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yeah! I finally broke out of this maintenance mode I have been in for the past month and started to lose again. Inching closer to maintenance! I think the last 15 pounds really is just like maintenance because you lose it soooo slowly. So I can get an idea in the next three months what my diet will look like for the rest of my life. And it's not bad!

I eat when I'm hungry, I (usually) stop when I'm full, and I only eat super-healthy, low-carb foods. Not a bad way-of-eating for a lifetime of health.

Hoping to join this group for real verrry sooon.
I'm over here cheering you on, Nikki!
You'll have to share with us what your "maintenance" WOE looks like.

I haven't lost anything in 11 days so I'm hoping I've figured out my numbers for maintaining the weight loss: daily = 1200-1400 kcals and 10-12 carbs.

Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 117/112
WOE: Ketosis/Mod Fat
Can I join this? I am in maintenance at 115 (give or take a few). I think I finally am feeling that striving for 110-112 might not be healthy for me. I hope this thread will be my way to stop trying to lose which might be actually keeping the weight on?

5'4. Today was 115. What do you think? How does someoe know when it is time to just stop trying to lose? I feel like I am a thin person in general but keep eating to hit this 113 number!
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:00 AM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I'm 64ins high and 114-118lbs. I have low muscle mass (see signature) and am approx. 30% body fat. I'd need to weigh approx. 108lbs to be 25% body fat (if I lost no additional muscle as part of that weight).

I don't have any bio markers for metabolic syndrome or cardiovascular disorders but as I'm notionally at risk for these because of the scant muscle mass, it might be wise to lose some additional fat.

Which is a long way of saying that it's probably not feasible to comment usefully on the nuances of someone elses's weight and height and whether it's optimal because it is part of a different lifestyle and may well reflect a very different composition of muscle, fat etc., age and health.
July 2014 Life, eh! In March I had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional and normal service may resume at some point
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:13 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Can I join this? I am in maintenance at 115 (give or take a few). I think I finally am feeling that striving for 110-112 might not be healthy for me. I hope this thread will be my way to stop trying to lose which might be actually keeping the weight on?

5'4. Today was 115. What do you think? How does someoe know when it is time to just stop trying to lose? I feel like I am a thin person in general but keep eating to hit this 113 number!
Of course we'd love to have you here, Peace!! Same dilemma I am facing myself. I know BMI does not take into account bone structure -- but at 124lbs & also 5'4, I can count my ribs and I see the boney structures (nobby thingys) at the top of my shoulders... I think I've lost enough weight (I can't even believe those WORDS are coming out of my mouth -- who would have thought a year ago, I would have even dreamed at being 124 lbs??)

Today is day 12 without gain/loss and I am averaging 1400 kcals & <12 carbs. Some days I have more kcals and less carbs but never more than 12carbs.

I'm praying I have truly found my "sweet spot" aka # daily carbs & kcals I can have without gaining/losing more weight.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #289
Senior LCF Member

So far, a sample of my "almost" maintenance diet looks like this:

Breakfast:
Two cups of coffee with cream
GG Scandinavian crispbread
Laughing Cow cheese wedge

Supplements
Psyllium husks drink (for fiber)

Lunch:
Great Low Carb Company low calorie bagel
1 1/2 tbsp Vegenaise
1 hard boiled egg
2 cups spinach salad
1 tangerine
herbal tea or stevia soda

Dinner:
Stir fry:
1 tsp sesame oil
Kelp noodles
1 1/2 cups broccoli
Garden chick'n scaloppini, diced
Better than Bouillon vegetable broth
Iced tea

Desserts:
Homemade chocolate/coconut/peanut butter cups, low carb
Other homemade desserts
Chocoperfection bar
Sugar-free jell-o

Snacks:
Nuts in-the-shell (the shells slow me down & force me to eat less)
Celery with organic peanut butter
GG's crispbread with Laughing Cow cheese wedge
1/2 cup of low carb granola with 1/2 cup almond milk
1 oz organic, free range cheese
Pat of Kerrygold butter (Yes, I eat this as a snack!)

I snack quite a lot but I always choose items from my healthy snack list and I try to go for the low cal ones since I am still trying to lose a few more pounds.

When I am in in actual maintenance, the changes will look like this:
More One Minute Muffins
More low-carb breakfast cereals
More Greek yogurt with fresh fruit
More legumes
More tofu dishes
More vegetarian hamburgers (on low-carb buns, of course)
Greater variety of vegetables
Occasional fruit

Also I will be preparing more low-carb family recipes:
Scalloped chayote squash
Spicy Indian cabbage
(Vegetarian) sausage stuffed eggplant
Creamed brussels sprouts
Amish turnip bake
Mashed cauliflower
Low-carb pizza (homemade,vegetarian, gluten-free)
Curried cauliflower patties
Etc.

I have a million recipes, I just have to cook them! ...And the family needs to get on board with helping me eat them or I'll eat it all myself.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
Of course we'd love to have you here, Peace!! Same dilemma I am facing myself. I know BMI does not take into account bone structure -- but at 124lbs & also 5'4, I can count my ribs and I see the boney structures (nobby thingys) at the top of my shoulders... I think I've lost enough weight (I can't even believe those WORDS are coming out of my mouth -- who would have thought a year ago, I would have even dreamed at being 124 lbs??)

Today is day 12 without gain/loss and I am averaging 1400 kcals & <12 carbs. Some days I have more kcals and less carbs but never more than 12carbs.

I'm praying I have truly found my "sweet spot" aka # daily carbs & kcals I can have without gaining/losing more weight.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
BMI is NOT tremendously accurate.....water displacement method may tell SOMETHING..there are new standards ( just as ridiculous if you ask me)..it comes back to each of us coming to our own conclusion... Im 5'9" 144-145 look great...feel great for me....at this point Im thinking my exercise/eating level supports this weight fairly effortlessly..I don't do calories...but 15-30 carbs...occasional attempts at higher carbs..my attempts are met with"eh"..
I really like how I eat and what I eat...I m weighing much more frequently than when I did at weight loss..I know its because my original focus was on health...I knew Id take weight off....now keeping it all in balance is daunting....I keep telling myself I did this before...when I stopped exercising...my whole mindset slid back..
goal made 04.04.14
Old 05-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Jo and Deb-- thanks for the welcoming! I am moving towards a more holistic approach, but still need to let go of the low fat ideal thoughts with being comfy in my own skin.

I did not weigh today, but here was what I ate: Tell me what you think:

ran 3 miles, did ab class for 30 minutes.

grill chicken breast ( in a rush on my way to library)11- am
430: lettuce, 2 0z of salmon, 2 oz of cod, 2 tablespoons of ghee, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, broccoli ( 1/4 cup), and one small piece of sausage venison from farmers market. I typically will not ghee or any dairy but I wanted to try it, so I DID. We will see how it goes...

I prob burned 400 cal at gym, not that it matters! Carbs stayed low and fat was kind of high for me, but perhaps you guys might have some insight??

Thanks so much.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So far, a sample of my "almost" maintenance diet looks like this:

I have a million recipes, I just have to cook them! ...And the family needs to get on board with helping me eat them or I'll eat it all myself.
Wow you have so many different kinds of foods. I am so carb sensitive, I'll never be able to eat 95% of the things you do. But that's okay.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow you have so many different kinds of foods. I am so carb sensitive, I'll never be able to eat 95% of the things you do. But that's okay.
My carbs are usually around 20-25 a day. That's pretty low.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member

I love hanging with you all...we all want to make maintenance a success....long term...it is inspiring to see your determination!...and love I can bounce ideas off you!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 04:47 AM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My carbs are usually around 20-25 a day. That's pretty low.
Mine are around 10-12 daily carbs. Today is day 13 without losing a pound... so I'm hoping I've found my numbers.

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-11-2014, 04:53 AM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbedD View Post
I love hanging with you all...we all want to make maintenance a success....long term...it is inspiring to see your determination!...and love I can bounce ideas off you!!!
I love hanging here too with so many people in the same "boat" as me -- trying to figure out how to continue their personal LC WOE journey to the next level -- maintenance.

Holy Hannah, in all the years and all the pounds I've lost (100s over the years), I never ever thought about the maintenance -- stupid, right?? I'm a very slow learner. But then when I was doing LC WOE then it was a DIET -- wonder when I realized it wasn't? Anywho... I now know that I will have to continue this LC WOE indefinitely and I am good with that because I REFUSE to REGAIN!

“This WOE is not a Diet,
Old 05-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Mine are around 10-12 daily carbs.
I had to keep it around 10-15 carbs earlier on. Now that I am getting closer to maintenance I have been increasing my carbs to try to find my CCLM. Unfortunately I seem to have found it (20-25, which is unfairly low for a CCLM, as this is OWL level for most people). So that's why I have stopped losing weight. I need to get back on the very-low-carb wagon again for a couple more months and then I will be able to drop these last 15 pounds.

Today will be a very-low-carb day. I have budgeted 12 carbs. We are going on a picnic for mother's day and I am bringing my own low-carb sandwich/snacks.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #298
Senior LCF member

nikki-
Don't think of 20-25g of carbs as 'unfair' for a CCL. That's my CCL, too, and I'm so used to eating this way that it doesn't bother me at all. I allow myself to have an off-plan 'carby' day every 6-8 weeks, and I did that during weight loss, too. It doesn't seem to have harmed me.

I've been maintaining on about 20g of carbs daily (usually less) for almost 4 years, and I honestly don't want to eat any other way, nor do I feel at all 'deprived.'

Where our CCL is concerned, "It is what it is." Weight management is important to me, and I'm glad I know my CCL so that I can manage my weight more effectively.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #299
Senior LCF Member

I did not weigh in today. But.... I had salad with grill chicken for lunch. yum.

carbs- 6. ( lettuce, broc).
I think I eat more carbs than I recognize sometimes!

You guys are all doing great. Congrats.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #300
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy Mother's Day, all you moms